Cut the Soul

When you're dodging, think, "I won't let him hit me!" When you're protecting someone, think, "I won't let you die!" When you're attacking, think, "I'm going to cut you!" See? See this? In my sword... do you see my determination? Do you see "I am going to cut you in half?"
-Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Over the month of July and the beginning of August, this team and I rose up the Uber leaderboard and eventually hit the 23rd spot with 1586 CRE. We could have gone even higher.

But I then quit playing. Why? First of all, I had a vacation to go on, and Shoddy Battle wasn't coming with me. I knew my rating would wither too much for me to want to deal with re-laddering. Second, competitive battling stopped feeling like Pokémon to me. Before joining Smogon in May 2010, the last time I had played Pokémon was at age 12, with Gold Version. Back then, I had no concept of strategy, base stats, IVs, or the difference between physical and special attacks. I had my level 100 Feraligatr with Surf, Ice Punch, Bite, and Whirlpool, and I loved him, damnit. I realized that I missed being able to just play and not care, to think a level 78 Scizor with mostly special attacks was awesome. I was tired of being a Gary Oak and only using the very best.

I built this team entirely around playing the Ubers tier and seeing what works and what doesn't. There is about 2% theorymon in the construction of this team; the other 98% is all derived from actual experience and trial and error.

Each of the Pokémon on this team is named after a character from the Japanese series Bleach. I thought that the relationship between a Shinigami (death god) and Zanpakuto (soul slayer) was the perfect analogy for the relationship between a trainer and his or her Pokémon. Two of my team members are named after Zanpakuto and form the offensive core of the team. The other four are named after Shinigami and "wield" the other two by putting them in a favorable position to clean out the opponent's team.

And I think that's quite enough introduction.

At a Glance:

I have already told you. You and I, our levels are as distant as the earth from the heavens. Must I spell it out for you? I have discarded my left arm, discarded my left leg, and yet even so, I have not nearly lowered myself to your level.
-Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya (Kyogre) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

The Name: Like Byakuya, Choice Scarf Kyogre is fast, versatile, and above all, powerful. Neither Byakuya nor Kyogre have a true, 100% guaranteed counter.

The Game: This is the standard Choice Scarf Kyogre set, so I won't explain the moves, nature, or item. However, most CS Kyogre aren't leads, so I'll dedicate your attention span my space to describing how it functions as a lead. For a detailed description of how it matches up against the common leads in Ubers, open the box.
Against lead Mew, which almost always carry a Lum Berry, Water Spout secures an OHKO.
Against lead Mewtwo, Scarf Kyogre also wins. If it's a Trick-Scarf variety, the Trick does nothing and Water Spout OHKOs. If it's a Leftovers type, CS Koygre outruns it and OHKOs with Water Spout.
Lead Rayquaza gets the Ice Beam lovin' and is OHKOd.
Other lead Kyogres are usually not Scarfed, and both of us end up Thundering. Although theirs is usually more powerful, neither of us are KOd, and, barring parahax, my CS Kyogre outruns and 2HKOs with the second Thunder. If it IS Scarfed, about all either of us can do is pray to win the speed tie.
Groudon gets the Water Spout, which guarantees a 2HKO if it makes the mistake of setting up Stealth Rock.
Lead Dialga (I'm looking at you, Nails) is no fun, but can usually be dealt with. If I Water Spout, it usually Thunder Waves; if I try to Water Spout again, it either sets up Stealth Rock (in which case Water Spout #2 will KO it) or KOs Kyogre first (in which case Ray comes in for a Draco and the KO).
Unscarfed Darkrai leads are OHKOd by Water Spout. It's when they're Scarfed that things get interesting. If it's a Trick-Scarf type, the Trick is useless and Water Spout OHKOs in much the same fashion as Trick Mewtwo. If it goes for a Dark Void, I usually just let Rayquaza absorb the sleep and switch back to Kyogre to abuse the Sleep Clause.
Bulky Deoxys-S leads will always get up 2 turns of entry hazards against me, but will be subsequently stopped.
Deoxys-A appears to be the perfect counter to my Kyogre, especially if it's a 4-attack version, but this is not the case (okay, yes it is, because I have to switch to deal with it). A switch to Scizor practically nullifies the ensuing Grass Knot and responds beautifully with two Bullet Punches.
Scarfed Shaymin-S also receive the Scizor treatment, as Scizor laughs at Seed Flare. If I KNOW that my opponent's lead Shaymin-S is not Scarfed, Ice Beam gets the job done.

Besides dealing with all the common leads exceptionally well, Scarf Kyogre can also be useful later in the game. If Groudon comes in at some point, Kyogre can bring back the rain Kingdra relies on - it can even serve as death fodder when it does so, killing two birds with one stone. Scarf Kyogre also makes a great revenge killer, although Palkia does this job better due to its higher speed.

The Bottom Line: This monster can go on a 6-0 sweep right out the gate if it gets lucky. I think that speaks for itself.
---

Better watch closely...and make sure you don't tell a damn soul! Bankai!
-Ikkaku Madarame

Hozukimaru (Kingdra) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd/2 SDef
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Draco Meteor

The Name: Kingdra is the Pokémon I try to keep as my ace in the hole. He's not as much of a trump card if the opponent knows about him, so I don't like to bring him out unless I have to. Similarly, Ikkaku won't rely on Hozukimaru's bankai unless it is absolutely necessary, preferring to hide his Zanpakuto's huge offensive power.

The Game: Kingdra is usually my late-game sweeper. I only pull him out after I know that either all of my opponents resisters (read: Scizor, Skarmory, Forretress, Jirachi) are eliminated, OR that I can deal with them with a Waterfall without locking myself into Outrage. He also requires the most explanation, so I have separated his description into 3 sections.

Moves: Kingdra carries Draco Meteor to destroy Dragon-types without leaving himself vulnerable to the revenge kill that would come if Outrage was chosen instead. Dragon Dance boosts Kingdra's speed to preposterous levels while in the rain and allows him to bolster his attacks to better deal with Dialga, Blissey (!!!), and the like. In the rain, Waterfall gets a double-STAB boost, making it exceptional for taking out Steel-types and can KO just about anything that doesn't resist it after a Dragon Dance.

Nature: I chose a Lonely nature over the more common Jolly and Adamant. I find Jolly inferior because in the rain, Kingdra is so fast that he doesn't need a speed-boosting nature, and in the...not-rain...Kingdra isn't winning any races anyways. I prefer Lonely over Adamant because I carry Draco Meteor, which simply can't afford to be hindered.

Item: Why the Lum Berry? Certainly I'd be an idiot to not carry a Life Orb. Wrong. Since Kingdra is a late-game sweeper, I'm done for if I get in a position where Kingdra has 20% health and 3 Pokémon to KO (for those who never paid attention in math, a Life Orb would make winning impossible). However, a Lum Berry allows Kingdra to set up on Blissey, which will usually T-Wave or Toxic, and then respond with a KO-ing Waterfall or Outrage. Furthermore, if Kingdra doesn't get afflicted with a status, the Lum Berry allows Kingdra to string together two Outrages before becoming confused.

The Bottom Line: Kingdra's ability to abuse the frequently-present rain in Ubers and his strong physical attacks (in a largely specially-defensive tier) make him one of the two most valued offensive members of this team.
---

Think of your comrade getting beat as an opportunity. Don't get in the middle of it. Stab from behind.
-Soifon

Soifon (Palkia) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Flamethrower

The Name: Soifon is fast, deadly, and fragile. So is Palkia. Both combatants have a hard time taking a heavy attack, but are able to use a teammate's death to their advantage.

The Game: Palkia is the team's dedicated revenge killer. I chose to run Draco Meteor over Spacial Rend because the extra power can secure some important OHKOs that Spacial Rend doesn't achieve. The other quirk of this set is Flamethrower. While I usually rely on Rayquaza to burn down Scizor, Forretress, & company, Palkia's Flamethrower is useful in 2 scenarios. The first, obviously, is if Ray is already down. The second is if an enemy Groudon brings the sun. Normally, Palkia would be crippled by the sun, which cuts Surf's power and destroys Thunder's accuracy. However, Flamethrower gets boosted by the sun, which actually makes Palkia's Flamethrower stronger than Ray's, since Ray's Air Lock doesn't allow him to abuse weather. Carrying Flamethrower also makes for a nice surprise that most opponents don't see coming.

The Bottom Line: Despite being a fairly standard Scarf Palkia, this Pokémon brings a powerful threat, a deadly surprise, and a blistering speed that can get my team out of a lot of tight spots.
---

Cast off your fear. Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. Shout...my name is…ZANGETSU!
-Zangetsu

Zangetsu (Darkrai) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

The Name: Darkrai looks like Zangetsu and they both fire energy blasts. The end.

The Game: This is the bread-and-butter Darkrai set, but it has a brilliant synergy with this team, especially Scizor. After another team member is KOd, Darkrai can come in, sleep the opponent, set up, and sweep. One of my favorite plays involves Lati@s and Wobbuffets that come in on Kyogre. To read it in detail, open the box.
Anticipating a Water Spout, the opponent switches in Lati@s (usually Latias).
I switch to Scizor, who absorbs the Thunder.
Scizor Bullet Punches for about 45%. Latias Thunders again.
After two Thunders from Latias, Scizor is usually KOd.
I switch in Darkrai. Dark Void, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse. Sweep.

If Wobbuffet comes in on Kyogre (or any other team member) instead, it will almost always KO with Mirror Coat. Darkrai switches in, Dark Voids, and Nasty Plots. The best part about this is that if Wobb stays in trying to wake up, his Mirror Coat won't be able to harm Darkrai.

Darkrai effortlessly handles any slower Psychic-type, such as Lugia, Mew, and Deoxys-D. If Darkrai has 87% health or better, Mewtwo's Aura Sphere fails to KO, while Dark Pulse KOs Mewtwo in return. The same goes for Palkia who choose Spacial Rend. Blissey, Dialga, Scizor, Tyranitar, opposing Darkrai, etc. can all be KOd with Focus Blast...which loves to miss. However, the extra power it provides over Aura Sphere is much-needed.

The Bottom Line: Darkrai completes the offensive core of this team and is used for early-game sweeps, allowing Kingdra to do his job more effectively later on. I don't know where this team would be without him.
---

Never admit defeat and ask for a quick death! Die first, then admit defeat!
-Kenpachi Zaraki

Kenpachi (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP/56 Atk/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The Name: Scizor and Kenpachi have strong physical attacks and can take an immense beating before they go down. Despite their low stat totals (500 for Scizor and 390 for Kenpachi: http://bit.ly/db8n9H), they can compete with and triumph over opponents that seemingly outclass them.

The Game: Scizor is the closest thing this team has to a wall. His awesome typing allows him to switch into nearly any attack, and his natural bulk allows him to survive hit after hit before finally fainting. He is especially useful in Ubers, where Dragon-type attacks are constantly flying around.

However, walling is not Scizor's purpose. In the early game, he can function as a scout by U-turn spamming. Pursuit allows him to trap the Lati twins, and Superpower can be a Blissey slayer or a last-ditch game winner. Bullet Punch, though, is the star of Scizor's movepool.

Scizor has one of my team's two priority moves. This makes him invaluable for taking down Shaymin-S, and the priority-abusing Extremespeed Rayquaza (since Extremespeed does little damage to Scizor) and Belly Drum Linoone (Xing, that wretched creature is a monster). Bullet Punch is also great for general cleanup against fast-but-not-priority-fast Pokémon.

The Bottom Line: He's the closest thing to a defensive member that this team has, but Scizor's Technician-boosted, Choice Banded physical attacks are where his real talents lie.
---

I have no choice but to take your life.
-Shunsui Kyoraku

Shunsui (Rayquaza) @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 2 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Brick Break
- Draco Meteor
- Extremespeed
- Flamethrower/Earthquake

The Name: Shunsui is the strongest captain in Soul Society. As far as raw power goes, Rayquaza is the strongest member of this team.

The Game: This is a standard Mixed Rayquaza, but most people have a hard time dealing with him. He has maximum special attack instead of maximum physical attack, which allows him to surprise Groudon, Lugia, and other physical walls who switch in on him expecting to soak up his attacks. His versatility and freedom to switch between moves can really ruin an opponent's day. A more detailed description of this less-famous but arguably more effective flavor of Rayquaza is below.

Moves: Brick Break is absolutely brilliant. If I anticipate a switch into Dialga, I can launch a Draco Meteor, which puts said Dialga into the KO range of a super-effective Brick Break. Blissey, Tyranitar, and such are also hit hard by Brick Break. The real power of this move, though, is its ability to smash the protective barriers set up by Reflect and Light Screen. If a Baton Pass team has set up the barriers to protect its Mew while it stats up, a Brick Break followed by a Draco Meteor can ruin the opponent's chance of winning. Draco Meteor is for pure firepower. Extremespeed is my team's other priority move and can be a real lifesaver. If it manages to pull off an important critical hit, my opponent's game can be over. Flamethrower alternates with Earthquake, depending on what I'm feeling, but I usually stick with the former because of its ability to melt the steel-types that can otherwise wall the team down.

Nature: Because MixRay runs both physical and special attacks, any nature that hinders Attack or Special Attack is out of the question. Naive seems to be a good choice, because it allows Ray to invest EVs away from Speed and into Attack, and lowers his already poor Special Defense.

Item: The Life Orb is the best choice here, since it gives Ray's attacks a nice boost without locking him into an attack like a Choice item would. MixRay absolutely needs to be able to switch between moves.
---

Well, that's it for the description of the team. The threat list is in the next post. I hope you enjoyed reading this! As a side note, I'd love it if someone took this team, battled with it for a long time, and saw how far up the ladder they could get with it. If you do use it, just PM me with your results or if you need any advice using the team!

Rate my team!

Uber Threats

Darkrai: Lead Darkrai either Trick, which fails, or Dark Void, which either Kyogre or Rayquaza can absorb. If it's not a lead, Scizor can Bullet Punch it to death, Ray can Extremespeed it, Kingdra (in the rain) can Waterfall it, Kyogre can do whatever it wants, and Palkia can Surf it.

Deoxys: This is basically a bad Deoxys-A, so the procedure is the same. See Deo-A.

Deoxys-A: Focus Sash leads are no problem for Scizor. He can switch into the Grass Knot, and then Bullet Punch twice for the KO. If it comes in mid-game, Kingdra can outrun it, Scizor can (still) Bullet Punch it, Palkia can Surf it, and Ray can Extremespeed it. A mid-game Sashed version can be annoying though.

Deoxys-D: Did someone say Darkrai? Yeah, if Darkrai switches in, Deo-D just became setup fodder. Scizor and Kingdra (Dragon Dance time!) also deal with Deo-D well.

Deoxys-S: Double Water Spout from Kyogre. You never see Deo-S unless it's a lead, so I won't address any other version.

Dialga: The leads get the Water Spout. If it comes in mid-game, as most do, Ray and Palkia can Draco it and Darkrai can Dark Void and Focus Blast it.

Garchomp: If it's a Scarf version, I have to let Kingdra revenge kill it, provided the rain is up. If it's a Band version, Kyogre Ice Beams. End of story.

Giratina: Ray and Palkia can both Draco it dead, and Kingdra can Outrage it. Darkrai is also able to set up on it and Dark Pulse for the KO.

Giratina-O: Scizor is the best switch-in as it can Pursuit and Bullet Punch. Even if the Giratina-O carries rest, Bullet Punch will KO it while it sleeps. Scizor also breaks Substitutes easily, which a lot of Giratina-O set up. If Scizor is gone, Ray and Palkia are both capable of taking Giratina-O down in one hit.

Groudon: If it is a Rock Polish set, I can be in for a beating. Usually a combination of Ray and Scizor can get in enough priority hits to take it down. Most other Groudon can be dealt with by Kyogre and Palkia. The worst part about him is that he takes the rain away from Kingdra, but this isn't too bad as long as I keep my own Kyogre alive or know that the opponent also has a Kingdra.

Ho-oh: Kyogre and Palkia both have the firepower Water attacks to take it down.

Kyogre: Palkia can switch into a 1/4 resisted Water attack and respond with a Thunder. Darkrai can sleep it and set up. If it's a Scarfed, non-lead version, and Palkia is gone, I may need to use a combination of Ray and Scizor to priority it down.

Latias: Scizor, always. Spam Bullet Punch. If Scizor goes down before he KOs Latias, Darkrai comes in and sets up.

Latios: Same as Latias.

Lugia: D-D-D-DARKRAI destroys this bird. If Darkrai is gone, then...well, we don't think about that too much...but usually Kyogre's Thunder or Kingdra's Dragon Danced Outrage can take care of business.

Manaphy: Unfortunately, Darkrai isn't an option here, since his sleep doesn't work. However, Kingdra can come in to show him who's really the boss when it comes to rain abuse.

Mew: If it's a lead, one Water Spout puts the pink demon out of commission. If it isn't a lead, it's usually a Baton Passer, and Ray takes care of that easily.

Mewtwo: Water Spout will OHKO it as long as Kyogre has health above 76% or so. Priority spam is always a viable option, and Kingdra can Waterfall it.

Palkia: This can cause me some problems if it has a Choice Scarf. If it isn't Scarfed, my own Palkia can come in for the revenge kill and eliminate it. If it is Scarfed, my own Palkia can come in on something like a Surf and go for the Draco. Priority spam works wonders here too.

Rayquaza: Kingdra can't do much here because Ray stops his rain, but Kyogre can fire off an Ice Beam and end Ray right there.

Salamence: Why is this thing in Ubers again? Since it's basically a poor man's Rayquaza, see Ray's entry.

Shaymin-S: I don't care how fast it is. Nothing outruns priority, and Scizor resists Seed Flare while taking only about 32-36% from Air Slash. Bullet Punch (or Pursuit if I anticipate a switch) take care of the problem. If Scizor is gone, Ray can Extremespeed for good results.

Wobbuffet: Darkrai, Kingdra, and Kyogre are all well-equipped to deal with Wobbuffet. If he comes in on Ray, I love playing mind games with the non-Encoring ones. Often they mispredict whether I use a special or physical attack, allowing me to rack up damage without the payback from Counter or Mirror Coat.

Everything Else

Blissey: Darkrai can sleep + Focus Blast it. Kingdra can Waterfall it. Scizor can Superpower it. I still hate it.

Forretress: Palkia and Ray both run Flamethrower. One of my favorite things to do is switch Ray into Forretress, who assumes I'll Flamethrower. I launch a Draco Meteor instead and KO their switch-in (usually Palkia, who has a 1/4 resist to Fire).

Lucario: Ray is the best for taking down Lucario, since he runs both Brick Break and Flamethrower. Kingdra can Waterfall him as well.

Ludicolo: Scizor can U-turn it and bring it down.

Metagross: Kyogre's Water Spout will OHKO.

Ninjask: Switch to Scizor. Bullet Punch spam and pray.

Scizor: Ray and Palkia can roast it with Flamethrower. It's also KO'd by Kyogre's Water Spout or Surf and Palkia's Surf if I think that Surf is a better choice than Flamethrower.

Skarmory: Pretty much the same as Scizor.

Tyranitar: Scizor's Bullet Punch is very useful, although Palkia and Kyogre (who also cancels the Sandstorm for Kingdra) can use water attacks and finish things off. Ray is probably the best, though, since Brick Break is 4x effective and Ray takes no Sandstorm damage due to Air Lock.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Giratina-O: Scizor is the best switch-in as it can Pursuit and Bullet Punch.
Really want to be careful here - Giratina-O typically carries HP Fire and it will 3HKO in rain (at the very least anyways - let's not forget that tina-o typically comes in with entry hazards), so you'll have to do pivot switches.
Shaymin-S: I don't care how fast it is. Nothing outruns priority, and Scizor resists both Air Slash and Seed Flare.
Careful there - Scizor doesn't resist Air Slash

You've told me that your team has issues against stall. I think this may be due to the fact that a bit too many Choice users that allow Forretress to come in and set up the deadly Toxic Spikes. Also, with no entry hazards on the team, stall will find itself switching around MixRay with a bit less difficulty. Ho-Oh in particular can be troublesome as it can switch into Rayquaza (sort of), Scizor, and Darkrai, (and Scarf Palkia in the sun), and do quite a bit of damage with Brave Bird).

I think one way this can be overcome is by swapping Scarf Palkia for Mixed Stealth Rock Dialga. Although this is a large change of pace for your team, your team itself already packs a great amount of Speed, from two priority users, something with base 125 base Speed, a Scarf Kyogre, and something that tops at mach Speed in rain. Dialga with Flamethrower / Draco Meteor / Outrage / Stealth Rock aids Rayquaza in breaking stall and is immune to Toxic Spikes as well. With Hasty Nature, it can also help against Adamant Lucario, who could give your team issues if it gets a set up and SR is down. Although it is by no means reliable, Dialga also provides your team with a resistance to Thunder (which will be thrown around a lot due to Kyogre), which nobody else on the team would enjoy taking. Though I guess Dialga doesn't enjoy it either due to paralysis but at least it resists it.

As far as Kyogre goes, it may be an issue switching into Ogre but between Kingdra, Rayquaza, your own Kyogre, and well..Dialga kind of, it shouldn't be too bad.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I second Jibakus suggestion on Mix-Stealth Rock Dialga. Having a revenger and good speed and rain to support Kingdra revenge killing is pretty good. Running Max Speed on Dialga gives you a good check to Adamant SD Ray. Also something to take care of Adamant Lucario.

I remember facing this team on the ladder. It's pretty darn good. Not much needs to be fixed.

Jibaku, thanks for the Dialga suggestion. I've always had a "distanced interest" in running a Dialga, but I never saw how it would fit with the rest of the crew. The mix set sounds like a good way to bring some bulk to the table and help break stall (which, as you accurately observed, is often up to Ray...although Darkrai does help here as well). As for Scizor vs. 'tina-O with HP Fire, I find that it usually does require the 3HKO, but I've always found that Bullet Punch spam can score the KO and leave Scizor with about 9-12% health. And thanks for catching my typo...I meant to say that Scizor is largely unharmed by Air Slash (32%-ish) and resists Seed Flare.

As for entry hazards, this team used to have Specs Kyogre in Palkia's spot and a Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks Deo-A as a lead. I was really hesitant to lose the Rock by running Scarf Kyogre, and I was surprised when I barely missed the entry hazards. However, there are definitely situations in which just a little extra damage would be really useful. I'll give the Mix Dialga a try on an alt account and see how it goes!

What do you think about running Earth Power instead of Draco? Just a thought.

PDC, that's a good point. SD Ray with Extremespeed can give me trouble (what team DOESN'T have some trouble with an SD Espeed Ray?), but a Dialga can help check that.

Lucario in Ubers kind of surprised me. He seems kind of like a poor man's Ray for Extremespeed abuse.

And thanks for the comment! =] I think I do remember battling you.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Very solid team, covering many threats, my only fear for you friend is that if kyogre is gone or at low HP, groudon is free to sweep / seriously hinder your team provided its at enough health, on the other hand, SR support and a wallbreaker does sound good if youre having trouble with stall.

Hey TrueLuck,

Surprisingly, Groudon does not worry me too much as long as Kyogre is alive, even at low HP. If this is the case, I can usually eliminate Groudon with Ray (as long as it isn't a Rock Polish variety...oh please God don't let me face a late-game Rock Polisher) or Darkrai, who is probably the team's most badass member of all. As long as I have Kyogre floating around, even if he's at 1% health, I can always use him as death fodder and bring back the rain.

If Kyogre is totally gone, though, Groudon is a bit more problematic. I usually have to pull a tag team between Ray and Scizor to eliminate it (which is actually not too bad if it has a Life Orb). The nice thing is that even if I have to spend Ray and Scizor to KO Groudon, it usually leaves the opponent in a pretty bad spot, as RP Groudon teams tend to really rely on RP Groudon to get the job done. Unfortunately, even replacing Scarfkia with MixDialga won't guard against Groudon.

Stall is just so damn annoying. I can break through it about 70-75% of the time with Ray and Darkrai, and although I often lose those two in the process, Kingdra is often able to clean house afterwards. However, I would like a reliable (80-85% of the time) stallbreaker, which MixDialga might be suited for.

Thanks man!

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi eVal, not a bad team, and congratulations on the leaderboard spot.

Firstly, do you really need a Scarf on both Kyogre AND Palkia?? I would suggest changing Kyogre to a Thunder Wave variant. Palkia is always a big switch-in to Kyogre, and Thunder Waving it would mean a better sweep for Darkrai.

Kyogre @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def
Nature: Modest
-Thunder Wave
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

This Kyogre allows to you to replenish the Rain if need be more readily than the Scarf one you have at the moment.

With that taken care of, your team is very Thunder weak. Any team taking advantage of Rain definitely needs a switch-in to electric attacks. Jibaku's Dialga suggestion is good, since it gives you a nice resist while setting up Stealth Rock for you. However, I would also suggest Swords Dance Garchomp, since he can switch into Thunders with impunity and Swords Dance up for a sweep. The only member I feel comfortable replacing Chomp with is Rayquaza, but that does decrease you stall-breaking potential somewhat. However, with an SD up, Chomp is very powerful, and you have Darkrai to break stall too.

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw/Stone Edge

Hope I helped, good luck.

Hey Shrang! I knew you'd come around sooner or later haha.

You're right about the weakness to Thunder, as I don't have anything to resist it (fortunately only Kyogre is hit for super-effective damage). Normally I am able to beat Thunder simply because I outrun its users. It's funny that you mention Garchomp, because on an experimental draft of this team I had a SD Garchomp in place of Palkia. It was not good, but that might have been because I can't use Garchomp well.

The T-Wave Kyogre suggestion intrigues me, though. I really love outrunning most leads for easy KOs, but T-Wave would help cripple the other team and could even let Ray and Kyogre sweep once they're faster. It'll terrify me at first, but I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the input!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
omg quit looking at me...

It's a fairly solid team, but groudon ruins the team. How I generally win is setting up a rock polish on palkia's bolt or a bullet punch (of course dialga has crippled ogre, if not killed), and kingdra can't do much without sun as well as you having to scramble to kill it (while sacrificing scizor and ray and maybe other stuff...). You need a solid groundon counter, I was thinking something along the lines of Claydol, who can also set up rocks and spin for you =D.[/jk] Seriously, it's more playstyle, not working as hard to not give it set up chances as you can ect. And worst case scenario, you can sac something to get Kyogre in, and kingdra then outspeeds... Groudon can't really set up a second time. Like I said, it's a solid team, good job.

Oh, and Claydol is win, use it (also provides a thunder immune... yeah, anyways).

RUN EVERYONE NAILS IS HERE

I've finally gotten used to dealing with Groudon, even the Rock Polish versions. It does require some sacrifice on my team, but usually I can get rid of it by losing only two of my own Pokémon. To me, this is a reasonable price, since having RP Groudon out of the way opens up a lot of possibilities for my team.

However, your Claydol suggestion intrigues me. Before you said it, I would have described Claydol as "fecal" instead of "win," but you've got me curious now. What set would you run on it, and which of my team members would you replace? Palkia?

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Suggesting Claydol was a joke... However, looking at your team, it does sort of fit... Trying it over palkia would be the best idea, as you have kyogre for revenging already. I have no clue what set it runs, it was in some RMT at least a month ago. I'm assuming you'd run something like max hp/def, rocks/spin + grass knot/earth power/boom/ice beam/a screen/toxic to cripple switches... So many options. I'd probably go with grass knot for groudon + ice beam for general ubers coverage.

Try it out... I'm dying to know how it works.

CM Resttalk Giratina Can cause more trouble than you think. It can set up a CM against Kyogre who cant hit for a 2hko if it cms 1st turn and spam rest talk. On the 3rd cm, not even +2 dark pulse can kill it (and you find it hard to do so before it because of switching to darkrai). Then it can sweep whrough your entire team with dragon pulse (don't expect scizor to save your as it get 2-3hkoed with +3 cm dragon pulse which it can easily get up) I suggest replacing palkia with taunt-cm mewtwo or support dialga with roar to solve the problem

Um just a tiny suggestion... tweak Kingdra's evs according to Smogon's set (which is 176 speed or sth like dat) this allows you to just outspeed Max Speed Scarf Palkia in the rain, and the remaining evs can be used to improve Draco Meteor's power

I think you should seriously consider Life Orb on Kingdra. Without it, your power is seriously lackluster, and you miss out on a LOT of KOes. For example, you can lose to Wobbuffet with a Lum Berry since it can survive Draco Meteor and a boosted Waterfall in the Rain. Also you fail to OHKO Dialga after SR.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Scarletnova, CM Giratina-O is seriously a non-issue for this team. CM doesn't help him against the physical attacks that Scizor and Kingdra carry, so even if he's at +6 CM boosts, I will take him down quite easily.

Crimson, that's a good suggestion, but I'm worried I'll lose the ability to outrun Shaymin if I tweak it as you mentioned. Would I still be able to do so? If yes, I'm all for dumping those extra EV into Draco Meteor.

MTR, I know that Life Orb would boost my attacking power, but Kingdra is absolutely screwed if he gets burnt, paralyzed, slept, or poisoned without any way of curing it. He literally goes from being my most valuable physical death machine to dead weight and death fodder. As for Wobbuffets that come in on Kingdra, I can usually pull a Dragon Dance (and at this point it is usually my second one) on them while they mistakenly Counter, and then Waterfall or Outrage (if I've scouted sufficiently) and KO. Thanks for the suggestion though.

fyi kingdra only does 57.5% - 67.5% with outrage(no +1 coz he wont be setting up on your kingdra dats for sure) to tina and tina can OHKO in response
and scizor hits for a 47.5% - 55.9% with CB pursuit.
I suggest standard OU CBscizor for a try coz it can laso reliably take down Rayquazas

Cool design but image looks very flat form the render would look cool if the mountains in the background where blurred and at a darker tone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)