Dan Shive Art Thread

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You've managed to mimic the style of the official art surprisingly well, can almost picture this in an official Pokemon magazine, heh. You have a good sense for lighting and anatomy too, so that's definitely a plus!

Some things to note: The face is by far one of the spots readers will be drawn too when reading a comic, so even if you want to copy what you've drawn to other panels to save time, you'd do well to adjust the face expression to reflect their mood or reactions, or in this case, what's going through her mind. Such like optimistic >> worried >> upset. In a lesser extent, hands are pretty much the same, but all panels feature her holding Inkay, so that's of no particular concern in this case.

Also be wary of including eyecatching details with no relevance to the strip. The purple tail (Arbok?) hanging out of the grass made me assume something would happen involving it, only to watch the strip take another approach. :V

I find the juxtaposition of the unchanging, mostly happy face and what she's actually imagining much more amusing than if the face had changed to match. Whether that's amusing is, of course, subjective, but I think it's funnier that way. The copy/paste was not to save time, but because it was the effect I wanted (although saving time was a plus).

I both agree and disagree on the part of the NIDOKING (so close!) tail, as I completely understand what you're saying, generally agree with the sentiment, and actually considered that as I was making the comic. I decided to include the tail nonetheless because it amused me and I'm my own target audience when making silly fan comics for no profit but my amusement and the potential amusement of others. My focus group loved it!

Besides, there's absolutely no reason to expect anything to happen with something in the tall grass. She's walking to the side of it! It's physically impossible for Pokemon to attack people who aren't walking in tall grass! Or on flowers. Or in caves. Or various other places, but NOT in the road directly adjacent to the tall grass that they're currently in and could easily walk out of! That would be ridiculous.

Some additional arts to meet forum requirements! I have more Pokemon comics planned, but for now, these:

LOLCat_Wooper_by_DanShive.png

Remember Pokemon walkers? I had one. A Wooper showed up in it. Then this happened.

fireemblem_rock_paper_scissors_by_danshive-d67wlpm.png
I created this to help me keep track of the weapon weaknesses in Fire Emblem: Awakening, as they weren't quite as natural as fire beating grass, or dragon not hurting fairy, or... Wait, why are fairies immune to dragon? "Your enormous claws can't hurt me! I'm a FAIRY!" Bwuh?

Surprised you didn't post the first three pages of your webcomic to get past the 3 pieces of art rule - or do you want to avoid any lawsuits and apologies this time? XD

Either way, really like the Pokémon comic - as Bummer said above, it does remind me a lot of the official style. Agree with you about the face - whilst it still would have funny seeing a reaction, a smiling facade leaves you imagining just what she's thinking: and to me, that's even funnier :)

Keep it up (and put a link up to your webcomic - I've spent the last three days catching up to the most recent page and I'll be damned if I'm the only one who is going to do that XD)

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
Besides, there's absolutely no reason to expect anything to happen with something in the tall grass. She's walking to the side of it! It's physically impossible for Pokemon to attack people who aren't walking in tall grass! Or on flowers. Or in caves. Or various other places, but NOT in the road directly adjacent to the tall grass that they're currently in and could easily walk out of! That would be ridiculous.
Actually, in x and y, pokemon can leap and attack you if you walk by a rustling bush...

I loved inkay's oblivious nature btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)