Dark Type Gym Team

My third rate my team :) Okay, basic overview, I'm in one of those Gym League things, and I'm in charge of the Dark Type Gym. And I'm basically just having trouble figuring my last poke before I can even get to battling. Now, after looking at all the dark types I'm actually intrigued at this team and would like to make it as competitive as possible. The restrictions I'm under are basic Standard OU Smogon rules. 4 Pokes have to be Dark type, and the other two can be anything as long as they have either a dark type move in the moveset, or an ability that ties to the team(not sure about this, I'm guessing prankster and intimidate would def pass) So here we go!

The Lead

JokesOnYou(Sableye)@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP, 121 Def, 137 SpDef

Taunt
Swagger
Foul Play
Recover

EVs made him as bulky as possible for survivablilty, and not favoring one def over another. Taunt with Prankster ensures I shut down set-up unless I'm up against a fellow Prankster. Swagger and foul play were suggested, and they make quite the combo. Of course recover for extra lol recovery.

Scatha(Scizor)@Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 10 Spe

U-turn
Pursuit
Superpower
Bullet Punch

Typical Banded Scizor here, you all know how it functions. As far as it's roll, it covers the bug weakness associated with a Dark team quite well and adds a bit of firepower to the squad.

FearItself(Spiritomb)@Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Ability: Pressure/Infiltrator(not sure which is more helpful)
EVs: 252HP, 252 SpDef, 6 SpAtk

Dark Pulse
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Sneak
Pain Split

Basically a special wall here that can still hurt things. Dark Pulse does a fair amount to things that don't resist, WoW to cripple physical attacker, Shadow Sneak for priority, and pain split as the recovery option.

Shadow(Umbreon)@Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpDef

Wish
Yawn
Baton Pass
Mean Look

Basic Umbreon from the past. Serves as the main physical tank barring a fighter on the field. Secondary goal to sleep/trap/pass to something for Scrafty to set-up on. And lastly wish passing always helps. I opted for no attacks because frankly if it's taunted, how much damage can it really do? Might as well add another support move.

Tiamat(Salamence(F))@Life Orb
Naive Nature
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 6 Atk

Outrage
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump/Roost

Wallbreaker FTW. Mence, even in Gen 5 wrecks things far and wide. Outrage does more than Brick Break, except to TTar, so that was chosen. Fire Blast for those pesky steels, DM, I mean really? Who takes one of these well? Still deciding on Hydro Pump for coverage or Rosot for longevity?

MadnessV2(Scrafty)@Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP

Ice Punch
Drain Punch
Thunder Punch
Dragon Dance

The main sweeper of the team. As far as expierence with this thing on other team, once the DD is up you have one turn to stop it, then it's GG, once I get the first Moxie boost, this thing can't be stopped. Drain Punch for main STAB and ice punch for gliscor/dragons. Thunder Punch for those PITA waters that think they can come in...

I'm not going to post a threat list yet until I have a definite team in place. Any poke currently on the team is subject to change, I'm open for all suggestions. As I said I want to build the best dark type gym team possible(and have it be viable as well if possible) in competeitve play. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

When I use scrafty I fInd that thunder punch is beter then crunch because gyarados and other waters think that they can switch in so ot is usually an easy kill

Im just a little nit picky...

Sableye (female)
left overs
148 hp, 168 def, 192 sp def
Impish
Prankster
1: recover
2: swagger
3: night shade
4: attract

This is the only real sableye worth using... Swagger can be a double edge sword. if the foe doesnt hit you, then you have upped the damage they receive per turn on contact. mixed that with night shade and attract (not sure if its ok in smogon rules) but you got a nasty combo here going. Also with 5th gen bringing in the move Foul play. You are already increasing kill power by 2 stages. Anyways just something to think about.

hey drakex47 its stabmaster- cool team. I really like your scrafty as a sweeper, and I was thinking how this team could use just one more. I have a set that might be able to replace one of your mons: speed boost sharpedo.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost (Mixed)
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Ice Beam
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd

This set is awesome- and it really packs a punch. its just a thought, but i think it would make your dark team a lot more threatening.

When I use scrafty I fInd that thunder punch is beter then crunch because gyarados and other waters think that they can switch in so ot is usually an easy kill
Well drain punch usually cures that, but over crunch? Hmmm, I'll give it a try.

hey drakex47 its stabmaster- cool team. I really like your scrafty as a sweeper, and I was thinking how this team could use just one more. I have a set that might be able to replace one of your mons: speed boost sharpedo.

[SET]
name: Speed Boost (Mixed)
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Ice Beam
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd

This set is awesome- and it really packs a punch. its just a thought, but i think it would make your dark team a lot more threatening.
Yes, I have a physical attacking sharpedo on another team, I like this special variant, hydros accuracy scares me at times though. Also, I have no idea who id remove.

Well drain punch usually cures that, but over crunch? Hmmm, I'll give it a try.

Yes, I have a physical attacking sharpedo on another team, I like this special variant, hydros accuracy scares me at times though. Also, I have no idea who id remove.
I think you should replace spiritomb. You definitely need some special attacks in this team its way too physical oriented. Spiritomb is a good pokemon, I use him myself ^^, but with the number of new sweepers that hit hard this generation, I don't think spiritomb can last too long. If you still want to use a spiritomb use a special variant. Maybe with dark pulse, pain split, will-o-wisp and shadow sneak for priority?

I like the dark type theme tho goodluck!

I think you should replace spiritomb. You definitely need some special attacks in this team its way too physical oriented. Spiritomb is a good pokemon, I use him myself ^^, but with the number of new sweepers that hit hard this generation, I don't think spiritomb can last too long. If you still want to use a spiritomb use a special variant. Maybe with dark pulse, pain split, will-o-wisp and shadow sneak for priority?

I like the dark type theme tho goodluck!
Thanks. To be quote honest. Spirit is there because like sablye he's dark ghost. Which means I cover the fighting weakness without using up one of two wildcard(pokes that don't have to be dark type) so idk if he can go. Because if I swap in sharprdo I'm gaining a ton of weaknesses and lose a fighting cure. Although, the special one may work.Everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks. To be quote honest. Spirit is there because like sablye he's dark ghost. Which means I cover the fighting weakness without using up one of two wildcard(pokes that don't have to be dark type) so idk if he can go. Because if I swap in sharprdo I'm gaining a ton of weaknesses and lose a fighting cure. Although, the special one may work.Everyone's thoughts on this?
Incase you are going with a special spiritomb tho try these evs:
252 hp/ 128 satk/ 128 in def or special def. Spiritomb should prob be specialized since it's stats aren't great enough to be a mixed wall; or atleast not effieciently like other mixed walls.

I know spiritomb is there for the dark lol but sharpedo is dark too hmmm. Perhaps replace gyrados with a salamence? It can intimidate, is also a flying type so it can resist fighting and bug, and hits hard. Scizor can take dragon attacks for it and as for the ice weakness hmmm maybe sharpedo?

Either way you definitely need some special in there.

Incase you are going with a special spiritomb tho try these evs:
252 hp/ 128 satk/ 128 in def or special def. Spiritomb should prob be specialized since it's stats aren't great enough to be a mixed wall; or atleast not effieciently like other mixed walls.

I know spiritomb is there for the dark lol but sharpedo is dark too hmmm. Perhaps replace gyrados with a salamence? It can intimidate, is also a flying type so it can resist fighting and bug, and hits hard. Scizor can take dragon attacks for it and as for the ice weakness hmmm maybe sharpedo?

Either way you definitely need some special in there.

Hmmm, what kind of mence though? I like mence more so than gyara but what set? Special set? Wall breaker variant maybe? And with sharp in there I have three fighting weaknesses. Covered by sableye's immunity, and mence's flying+intimidate, that may work but I still need thoughts on sets for the mence?

I'd go with a wallbreaker, so it makes it easier to destroy everything else once you setup scrafty. A mixed wallbreaker would be even better and that could help your special offense. In fact, you could leave spiritomb in and just replace gyra. If you keep spiritomb tho, make it a special wall. Scizor and salamence will most often than not be targeted by a special attack(like flamethrower or ice beam) and you would need a pokemon to hold off these attacks better. Aside from the usually used vacuuum wave and focus blast I think most fighting atatcks are physical based and those can be taken by spiritomb and sableye; and scizor because it is physically oriented.

Also about the fighting weakness..you ARE a dark type gym leader XD thats actually expected. I do warn you though ^^ I don't think I'm a great rater and doubt I can give you much advice but thats just the way I look at it.

I'd go with a wallbreaker, so it makes it easier to destroy everything else once you setup scrafty. A mixed wallbreaker would be even better and that could help your special offense. In fact, you could leave spiritomb in and just replace gyra. If you keep spiritomb tho, make it a special wall. Scizor and salamence will most often than not be targeted by a special attack(like flamethrower or ice beam) and you would need a pokemon to hold off these attacks better. Aside from the usually used vacuuum wave and focus blast I think most fighting atatcks are physical based and those can be taken by spiritomb and sableye; and scizor because it is physically oriented.

Also about the fighting weakness..you ARE a dark type gym leader XD thats actually expected. I do warn you though ^^ I don't think I'm a great rater and doubt I can give you much advice but thats just the way I look at it.

Well you're doing an exceptional job as is right now. The bouncing ideas off is great! I do like the ideas here^ And yes it is expected, but it's also expected of me to remove/counter those weakness as best as possible.

lol doubt it I'm pretty new to the site. I think you have to play the waiting game. The best you could do is test it on the servers and see what threats are hurting you the most. Then make a threat list i guess.

No Saz? your team has barely any offensive prowess and is lacking on the defensive end as well if you're relying on spiritomb.
Because of its many common weaknesses, I would try to make this team much more offensive oriented.
Try Tar as a special sponge, as it can attack back in place of sableye or spiritomb. They both play a similar role, while not being really effective tbh. They are only in there to take SE hits, but they don't really do anything besides that.

Dark types seem much more offensive to me. Try out zoroark mimicing spiritomb for a suprise attack and sharkpedo is another great attacker. You aren't utilising Dark's strong points, instead you're covering its weak points pretty badly.

I'd scrap the team and start a new one with a more offensive standpoint in mind.

No Saz? your team has barely any offensive prowess and is lacking on the defensive end as well if you're relying on spiritomb.
Because of its many common weaknesses, I would try to make this team much more offensive oriented.
Try Tar as a special sponge, as it can attack back in place of sableye or spiritomb. They both play a similar role, while not being really effective tbh. They are only in there to take SE hits, but they don't really do anything besides that.

Dark types seem much more offensive to me. Try out zoroark mimicing spiritomb for a suprise attack and sharkpedo is another great attacker. You aren't utilising Dark's strong points, instead you're covering its weak points pretty badly.

I'd scrap the team and start a new one with a more offensive standpoint in mind.

Plenty of opinions here but no real suggestions as to the sets or what to swap out aside from the ttar comment. I want to agree with this. But you just say a bunch of stuff and offer no fixes. RMTs are aupposed to show you your weak spots AND offer suggestions on fixes.

If you want to replace sableye you might be able to replace it with a Drapion. Even though it lacks prankster, it can survive stronger hits and deal more damage even without foulplay.

It can use taunt AND swagger; among other moves that cause problems. As a lead it can use toxic spikes and has moves like STAB knockoff or thief to get rid of items.
It adds a weakness to ground but that's easily covered by salamence and could count as great bait to switch in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)