Darmanitan

According to the B/W research thread, Flare Blitz is tentatively stated to not get a boost from Encourage; there may be an upper limit on the power granted. Need someone to test this ASAP.

The effect of encourage on Serebii says that the Pokemon's attack goes up but its attacks can't have any secondary effects. An Example: Fire Punch can't burn, bite can't flinch and force palm can't paralyze. A couple of you think it raises attack AND prevents BAD secondary effects like stat downs from overheat and recoil. That'd be OP.

According to the B/W research thread, Flare Blitz is tentatively stated to not get a boost from Encourage; there may be an upper limit on the power granted. Need someone to test this ASAP.
There could be some exceptions for this ability, imo a Flare blitz boosted by encourage is just ... too ridiculous, but i really doubt flare blitz not getting the boost is a big drawback, Hihi still has that gargantuan Atk and nice speed.

I was wondering.. does Hihi get outclassed by Infernape in some way?

There could be some exceptions for this ability, imo a Flare blitz boosted by encourage is just ... too ridiculous, but i really doubt flare blitz not getting the boost is a big drawback, Hihi still has that gargantuan Atk and nice speed.

I was wondering.. does Hihi get outclassed by Infernape in some way?
um... stealth rock weakness
Lower speed
Not being able to attack from both spectrums (unless you go into daruma mode)
N'Ape has more setup moves and priority (hihidaruma has bulk up), ape probably has a better movepool in general

Hihi is more unpredictable since I can see the daruma mode working somewhat
Hihi has more physical attack (encourage, way way more physical attack this way)/special attack (daruma mode)
Hihidaruma is bulkier either way (105 HP)

Hihi has its niche in its 140 base Attack. That and Encourage is all it has over Infernape (and the silly Belly Drum but it sucks and 'Nape gets Swords Dance :/).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Doing some calcs on Adamant Scarf Encourage Flare Blitz; it 2HKOs 4 HP Garchomp and Suicune with Stealth Rock. Jolly Choice Band Sun-boosted Flare Blitz, meanwhile, will 2HKO everything in the game which isn't immune to it (Crocune takes 56.2% - 66.1%) except Magcargo (a decent chance with SR, though). The same Flare Blitz will OHKO 4HP Garchomp all the time, without Stealth Rock, and will OHKO 4 HP Suicune with it.

So I'm pretty sure someone mentioned this before, and I haven't seen a reply, but what happens to the Stat Boosting effects of moves? I.E. Nitro Charge

Because if they are still there I see myself using this guy on Nattorei/Forretress or something of the sort and getting a Nitro Charge/Sub up while proceeding to scout/sweep with the boost in speed. Being behind a sub with this guy would be fantastic as not only does he draw out Heatran and Flash Fire Shandeera (If Shadow Tag is banned, which I doubt, of course that's not to say Shan won't switch into a fire move even with ST), but he also can handle both pokes with Encourage. With a Sub he could actually fire off a Focus Punch towards Heatran or Superpower if you prefer, but I don't enjoy Defense/Attack drops.

Just for some proof on how this guy can somewhat handle Shandeera here's some calcs

92.7% - 109.2% from Flare Blitz 252 Attack Adamant LO Encourage Hihidaruma on Shandeera

That means with SR/Spikes it's a guaranteed OHKO. Of course that's if I plugged this in right, I used Infernape on both sides for the STAB/Resists, plugged in the HP and Def stats on Shand and Attack Stat on Hihi, then used Sunshine to simulate Encourage which I'm guessing is like giving an additional STAB on a move.

So behind a Sub I'm pretty convinced this guy will be able to get a KO or 2, even with FB Recoil, and considering Shandeera's low health stat I don't think Hihi will be hurt too badly.

Of course there's other pokes that can come in on him, but the raw power he gives is immense, I know I'll probably make a team with him when Gen V hits here.

Doing some calcs on Adamant Scarf Encourage Flare Blitz; it 2HKOs 4 HP Garchomp and Suicune with Stealth Rock. Jolly Choice Band Sun-boosted Flare Blitz, meanwhile, will 2HKO everything in the game which isn't immune to it (Crocune takes 56.2% - 66.1%) except Magcargo (a decent chance with SR, though). The same Flare Blitz will OHKO 4HP Garchomp all the time, without Stealth Rock, and will OHKO 4 HP Suicune with it.
Once again, be careful taking Encourage into account on Flare Blitz, since we have tentative information suggesting that it may not count. Regarding Nitro Boost, Encourage only seems to work off of abilities which have a less-than-100% chance of inducing a hard status effect (SLP, FRZ, etc.) on the opponent - this is a very small list for Daruma, outside of a Special-based Daruma Mode. No idea if it works off of Soft Status. Nitro Boost should still work. I see Daruma being solid UU with its speed if Encourage is confirmed to not work on Flare Blitz.

Why would you run Life Orb on Hihi? Way too suicidal. Choice items are pretty much made for him :)

Why would you run Life Orb on Hihi? Way too suicidal. Choice items are pretty much made for him :)
Probably to give him a better coverage, preventing too many switches when SR is on your field, Hihi has a lot of HP and if you don't like the massive recoil damage you'll get with LO+FB you can always change it for Fire punch which is confirmed to get the boost from Encourage.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Actually, I did know Encourage boosts the power of the moves, and removes the secondary effects - but not the negative ones. And they are not the same: secondary effects are burn rate, flinch rate ecc, negatives effects are drop, recoil ecc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

you're right. and i think it's a 1.5x boost if the damage formula is the same.

Wifi battles have started to be uploaded to you tube, and it seems Hihi isn't getting much attention =/ Infernape is still being picked over him.

Of course it's just the very beggining.

I am really curious to see what Belly Drum Daruma Mode Hihi does in the metagame. After Belly Drum gives it +6 attack combined with those defenses and 140 spA? It'll be slow but it will have great defenses and scathing attack stats.

I looked in the OP cursorily and I didn't see anything about what potential recovery does for Daruma Mode. If leftovers or wish or something like that brought it back about 50% would it revert? sorry if someone answered this already

Belly drum is a joke on this thing. That said, this pokemon is awesome. It looks liek the best mixed sweeper in the game. Its like having 7 pokemon on a team. It would be good to maximize hp ev's on this.

Does it go back into regular mode if it goes back above 50%?

If not,

Hammer arm
Fire Blast
Rest
Grassknot
(does it get earth power, idk the moves it gets, if it does it would be useful to kill chandera.)

But, the point i'm trying to make is you could use a rest chesto set. Use hammer arm, then get hit again in aruma mode and almost die but rest. O r rest on the 1st turn to automatically be at full health in daruma mode.

To my understanding once its in daruma mode it stays there until you switch out, even if you use rest...

Please... remove the colour from this post.

He does indeed learn flare blitz, as well as a multitude of fighting attacks. He'll be able to take care of Heatran just fine.

@Pratty: Dragonite has 80 base speed.

Presumably Hihidaruma also get's Nitro Charge, meaning his 95 base speed will rise to levels that are... pretty scary combined with 140 Atk.

Admittedly he'll have a tough time switching in. But resistances to Steel, Bug, Fire, Ice and Grass will be useful in a metagame filled with steels (fire), flyers (ice), and ground types (grass/ice).
I'm sorry but Earth Power from ScarfHeatran says hi man. Although I truly like this pokemon, I see many uses for it and it surely can knock some pokes out.

Nitro Boost/Scarf says Hihi back man.
OUCH and the scarf Hihi sucker punches Omni by surprise!

Ok so 1v1 scarfs, ya, Hihi wins but aside from 1v1, I'll just switch to a counter to keep Heatran safe.

It probably does but does Hihidaruma ohko Heatran? Assuming max spd and satk of course

Surely belly drum plus rest and chesto berry is well worth a look, regardless of whether it transforms back into normal mode or not.

If it stays in daruma mode then it's a fairly heavy tank and if it goes back to the normal mode then it's hitting off (I think) an attack stat of 1600+ with pretty good speed it will take down most things and when it's within OHKO range it'll be back into it's tank mode.

It should get a boost since flare blitz can burn(I think)
"The user loses HP equal to 1/3 of the damage dealt to the target, rounded down. Has a 10% chance to burn the target. Thaws the user when frozen."

Yep Flare Blitz gets a 1.3x boost from Encourage. That means Flare Blitz goes up to 234 power. Recoil is going to kick Hihidaruma's ass.

List of moves that Hihidaruma has that will be affected by Encourage:
- Fire Fang (may cause burn)
- Headbutt (may cause flinch)
- Fire Punch (may cause burn)
- Flare Blitz (may cause burn)
- Psychic (may lower SP. DEF)
- Flamethrower (may cause burn)
- Fire Blast (may cause burn)
- Thief (might steal foe's item)
- Focus Blast (may lower SP. DEF)
- Stone Edge (High Crit ratio. Im not sure if this is secondary)
- Rock Slide (may cause flinch)
- Rock Smash (may lower DEF)

So it has a limited move pool in terms of what moves it can use to support its main ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)