Darmanitan

I think Antar was talking about Daruma-mode Hihidaruma, hence the reference to the speed being cut drastically.
In which case you'd obviously be using special attacks (except maybe Hammer Arm for Blissey).
The question was whether a single Belly Drum would suffice to trigger Daruma mode.

Anyway, I doubt it would be effective enough to be worth the trouble.
You have to take a turn of TR to halve your HP and you might have switched into SR, leaving you with 25% (assuming you didn't take an attack).
OTOH, if you can't reduce the HP you'll be doing laughable damage from base 30 offenses.
Hopefully GF will fix this questionable idea one day and give hihi a way to enter the battle in Daruma mode.

Daruma Mode has base 30 Attack.
+Atk nature Max Attack EVs Hihidaruma @ Lv. 100

Normal Form, before Belly Drum: Atk=416
Daruma Form, after Belly Drum: Atk=696

Plus, your defenses are now through the roof.

That's nothing to scoff at.

Assuming there's a way to activate Daruma Mode first turn through this method (Doubles team so no SR, most likely), you've got a perfect Mixed TR sweeper.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Assuming there's a way to activate Daruma Mode first turn through this method (Doubles team so no SR, most likely), you've got a perfect Mixed TR sweeper.
Adamant Encourage Darmanitan, 252 Atk / 252 Speed: 351/416/146/86/146/289

Brave Daruma Darmanitan, 252 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk after a Belly Drum: 176/696/246/379/246/131

Encourage Flare Blitz vs 252/252 Bold Mew: 295 - 348 (73% - 86.1%) damage

Daruma Flare Blitz vs 252/252 Bold Mew: 381 - 448 (94.3% - 110.9%) damage

0/0 Psychic Mew vs Encourage Darmanitan: 157 - 186 (44.7% - 53%) damage

0/0 Psychic Mew vs Daruma Darmanitan: 93 - 111 (52.8% - 63.1%) damage

Your Flare Blitz is ~29% stronger but you're slower and take ~15% more damage, while also having two more weaknesses. You may use Belly Drum first turn and come out unscathed, but it's going to be incredibly difficult and Daruma Mode will activate only by the end of the turn. And, of course, if they ever manage to force you out, you're fucked.

I don't know, I'd rather use Encourage Darmanitan in Singles/Doubles/Triples. I think Daruma Mode is only worth the effort in Rotation.

Isn't Daruama mode part Psychic? Shouldn't he resist Mew's Psychic?

EDIT: Doesn't he have better defenses on top of it?

This is pretty much inferior in every way to being banded

I don't know, I'd rather use Encourage Darmanitan in Singles/Doubles/Triples. I think Daruma Mode is only worth the effort in Rotation.
Thanks for running the calcs. I do agree that Encourage (Sheer Force?) is generally the better ability. It's kind of a gimmick as I'm planning on running it. Right now I'm just really curious about Belly Drum + Daruma Mode activation--the description of Daruma Mode says "less than 50%", so it sounds like I'll need Belly Drum + entry hazards to get first-turn activation.

This is pretty much inferior in every way to being banded
No it isn't. It can switch moves and has a killer SpA stat in case you come across a complete physical wall. Also, if you plan to come in on Stealth Rock for whatever reason, then you can use a Custap Berry and you're almost guaranteed a kill with those defenses and resistance to mach/bullet punch.

No it isn't. It can switch moves and has a killer SpA stat in case you come across a complete physical wall. Also, if you plan to come in on Stealth Rock for whatever reason, then you can use a Custap Berry and you're almost guaranteed a kill with those defenses and resistance to mach/bullet punch.
But your damage output is going to be so much lower since you lack Flare Blitz or Encourage. It's too much set-up for too little benefit IMO

But your damage output is going to be so much lower since you lack Flare Blitz or Encourage. It's too much set-up for too little benefit IMO
I suppose that the recoil from Flare Blitz would be the offputting factor once you're down to 50% health. Fair enough, I guess. Also, thanks to whoever reminded me that Custap is not valid yet.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really don't like how Daruma mode requires you to actually sacrifice HP just so you get this slow, really Bulky Special Attacker. Even then with all this bulk, Darmanitan can't really survive one or more hits if its opponent is reasonably fast and powerful. I just see it more necessary to play to Darmantican's strength in Encourage, which makes it ridiculously powerful and shoudn't be brushed off.

Oh yeah, this thread should probably be renamed Darmanitan.

Mario With Lasers

Thanks for running the calcs. I do agree that Encourage (Sheer Force?) is generally the better ability. It's kind of a gimmick as I'm planning on running it. Right now I'm just really curious about Belly Drum + Daruma Mode activation--the description of Daruma Mode says "less than 50%", so it sounds like I'll need Belly Drum + entry hazards to get first-turn activation.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3120211&postcount=1498

Seems it really only works with less than half HP. Sucks.

Isn't Daruama mode part Psychic? Shouldn't he resist Mew's Psychic?

EDIT: Doesn't he have better defenses on top of it?
Irrelevant, Psychic was chosen only as an example. And while it has higher defenses, it has half its HP, which means it's "bulkier" as... red Darmanitan with full HP.

Pure theorymonning here.

Darmanitan@Salac Berry.
Jolly, 252 atk 252 spe 4 hp
Sheer Force
-Substitute
-Belly Drum
-Encore/Yawn
-Fire Punch

sooo....... i just came up with this in my head. Switch in on a poke that can WoW/Twave you(but doesn't use it the turn you switch in. Make sure it is a resisted attack that does less than 25%damage(Or a recovery move, support move etc). Ninetales's Energy Ball would be a good time to switch in.(this way you also get the sun boost) Use Substitute when the opponent uses the o-so crippling status move. Use Encore, and Belly Drum on the switch. Now you have a Salac-boosted, +6 Darmanitan. (Fire Punch over Flare Blitz for no recoil). Hope that the opponent does not have a Heatran.

Again, pure theorymonning here. It's basicly a high risk, VERY high reward situation.

EDIT: Yawn can be used over Encore, as they both

a note about Encourage(Sheer Force):
it won't remove effects that are negative to the user, but it will still give the boost, which i just found out is 30% (i use Bulbapedia, and i'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, but it's never let me down before)
i know this may be dated info, but i don't have time to look through all 9 pages

it won't remove effects that are negative to the user, but it will still give the boost, which i just found out is 30% (i use Bulbapedia, and i'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, but it's never let me down before)
i know this may be dated info, but i don't have time to look through all 9 pages
IIRC, there's also a thread on that ability.

Mario With Lasers

No and nope.
So, according to this guy, it does. Have you ever done any testing, danmo96?

Sheer Force doesn't boost Hammer Arm or Superpower because they don't have a chance that an effect will occur. That being said, Darmanitan will be forced to switch after it uses any of those moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)