ORAS UU Defensive Sweep Team (First Team)

Just a heads up, first time doing this, I've looked at the rules and I hope I'm doing this right, but if I'm not tell me and I'll fix it.

This team is mainly based on Mega-Absol baton passing Swords dance but my team is bulky enough to recover when things go wrong with Absol. I consider myself an mediocre player and I have won a majority of fights with this team, so it may be luck or this is an ok team.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Mega Absol is generally the pokemon to start out with. I generally always start with a swords dance unless the opponent is a fighting or bug type. Because Absol already has great attack and speed, it can easily lead to some one hit KOs with knockoff after swords dance. Toxic is this just in case i need to set up, but I generally don't use it. However, the most common thing I do after the swords dance is baton pass to either Conkeldurr or Feraligatr to give them a boost.

Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

This pokemon is a sweeper at its best, with high defenses and great attack. If I can get a baton pass to this monster, it hist like a truck. Without the boost, this thing still has 624 attack in battle with its choice band and even more because of Iron Fist. There have been some games where I have gotten this thing to 3x its attack, and after that happens the only real worry is psychic types, because after one hit KOs, Drain punch gives back most of the health lost to moves because of its low speed. I gave it Earthquake and Fire punch to have flexibility, and superpower as a last ditch effort.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind

Florges is a very good special defense wall and can deliver some sweeps. I will generally start out when fighting special attackers wit a calm mind or two, and then synthesis to recover the HP I lost. Aromatherapy can help out with statuses, with with calm mind set up, I can Moonblast until they send out a poison type. I have actually seen teams without a poison type almost get sweeped with this poke alone, though it generally only takes out one or two pokemon.

Goodra @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Goodra is basically Florges 2, covering Florges' weaknesses. Dragon Pulse is generally my stab move, used most often. Sludge bomb is for more coverage, generally used if I can't get out against a Fairy type. Flamethrower and Earthquake are for poison and steel types, fairy's weaknesses as said.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Porygon is generally my balance; having three Special and Physical defensive attackers. However, Porygon Has only one weakness, making him a great switch in most of the time. Tri-attack is my stab move, and the chance to afflict a pokemon with a status, though a very low chance, is sometimes useful. Thunderbolt and Ice beam are for some coverage. Recover is just to get back lost HP when I'm at low HP.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Feraligatr is my last pokemon. I generally try to fit in the dragon dance after switching in even with a baton pass so I can guarantee being faster than somethings and grantee getting some one hit KOs. Waterfall is a great stab move that is boosted by his ability, generally to one hit kos. Crunch is for some type advantage and against types that this pokemon is weak to. Ice punch is also for more coverage.

Overall, that is my team. Tell me what I could do to improve it!

Attachments

Hi pokemonboy19, I have suggestions for your team that should make it easier for you to win matches at a more consistent level, as there's a lot of mistakes embedded within your team that are holding you back. I'll look at every member of your team and offer suggestions that will make the team better. By first glance, I'll need to change out two Pokemon then tweak the sets of the remaining four.

>

Utility Tentacruel > Mixed Goodra
The first thing I immediately notice is your team's inability to control hazards. Long, tedious matches against other bulky teams or stall teams spell death for teams that lack the aggressiveness and general preparedness needed to handle them. You also erroneously state that Goodra covers Florges' weaknesses when in fact the opposite is true. Regardless, Goodra doesn't serve that purpose well on this team (the only good Goodra set is Choice Band anyways). Instead, let's replace Goodra for a utility Tentacruel, solving your team's issue with opposing hazards and adding more utility against defensive and offensive teams. Toxic or Toxic Spikes really enable you to pressure fatter teams, and Scald carries so much utility that any member of your team could capitalize. Tentacruel's typing allows it to better handle Poison- and Steel-type attacks aimed at Florges, just don't liberally toss it at opposing Nidoqueen or Mega Aggron as their coverage moves will really hurt Tentacruel.

>

PhysDef Swampert > DD Feraligatr
The only other big change that needs to be made is to drop Feraligatr in favour of physically defensive Swampert. Your team lacks a source of Stealth Rock and lacks an Entei check, both of which Swampert will provide. Swampert and Tentacruel also form a good hazard core, since neither shares a weakness and provide unique methods of deploying and removing hazards. Swampert will also give you a way of mitigating the threat brought on by opposing Dragon Dance Gyarados and Mamoswine via Roar and Scald respectively. The combination of Tentacruel + Swampert gives you a solid bulky Water-type backbone against a bunch of teams, excellently supporting Mega Absol's sweep and keeping the rest of your team safe from opposing hazards.

Iron Fist CB Conkeldurr > Guts CB Conkeldurr
The Iron First CB Conkeldurr set is much scarier and much more effective than the Guts one you've provided, as it gives you access to the second-strongest Priority move in UU while making Conkeldurr a menacing wallbreaker that's capable of 2HKOing even 120 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola with a tiny bit of chip damage. Florges' access to Aromatherapy will help mitigate status, so Guts isn't necessary. A lot needs to be changed on Conkeldurr, so I'll list the set in the importable. With the changes I'll suggest to Mega Absol, this Conkeldurr should be used as a wallbreaker, beating down physical walls that would otherwise prevent Mega Absol from sweeping.

SD Mega Absol > SDPass Mega Absol
Also, the Mega Absol set needs to go; it lacks the bulk needed to reliably pass boosts while failing to capitalize on Mega Absol's strengths. Instead, consider the standard Swords Dance sweeper set instead. By removing Feraligatr and focusing on this set, your team develops a dynamic. Mega Absol becomes the core member and main sweeper with everything else supporting it in some form or another. The set will be listed in the hide tag.

Duck Tank P2 > Offensive P2
Porygon2's set needs reworking, as you don't capitalize on its strengths and what it brings to your team. Porygon2 is better suited as a bulky tank considering your team (currently) lacks a consistent switch in to Hydreigon, Sylveon, and Celebi. It's very important to consider these three whenever you build a team, since they're currently some of the most dominant special attackers in the tier right now. Drop Thunderbolt in favour of Thunder Wave, use the Trace ability instead of Analytic, and change the EV spread to 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpDef with a Calm nature. This setup will allow you to repeatedly throw Porygon2 at powerful special attackers with impunity while giving Conkeldurr and Mega Absol Paralysis support, aiding in their dismantling of the opposing team.

The only nitpick with Florges is its EV spread. Run 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef to make it bulkier and more effective at supporting the team. The Special Attack will rise naturally with Calm Mind boosts in a late-game scenario, so no need to invest in it.

Even with these changes, I feel that the team itself is still far from complete. Consider stopping by the UnderUsed Room on PokemonShowdown! or signing up for a tutor through Battling 101 for additional help. Good luck with the team!

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Hi pokemonboy19, I have suggestions for your team that should make it easier for you to win matches at a more consistent level, as there's a lot of mistakes embedded within your team that are holding you back. I'll look at every member of your team and offer suggestions that will make the team better. By first glance, I'll need to change out two Pokemon then tweak the sets of the remaining four.

>

Utility Tentacruel > Mixed Goodra
The first thing I immediately notice is your team's inability to control hazards. Long, tedious matches against other bulky teams or stall teams spell death for teams that lack the aggressiveness and general preparedness needed to handle them. You also erroneously state that Goodra covers Florges' weaknesses when in fact the opposite is true. Regardless, Goodra doesn't serve that purpose well on this team (the only good Goodra set is Choice Band anyways). Instead, let's replace Goodra for a utility Tentacruel, solving your team's issue with opposing hazards and adding more utility against defensive and offensive teams. Toxic or Toxic Spikes really enable you to pressure fatter teams, and Scald carries so much utility that any member of your team could capitalize. Tentacruel's typing allows it to better handle Poison- and Steel-type attacks aimed at Florges, just don't liberally toss it at opposing Nidoqueen or Mega Aggron as their coverage moves will really hurt Tentacruel.

>

PhysDef Swampert > DD Feraligatr
The only other big change that needs to be made is to drop Feraligatr in favour of physically defensive Swampert. Your team lacks a source of Stealth Rock and lacks an Entei check, both of which Swampert will provide. Swampert and Tentacruel also form a good hazard core, since neither shares a weakness and provide unique methods of deploying and removing hazards. Swampert will also give you a way of mitigating the threat brought on by opposing Dragon Dance Gyarados and Mamoswine via Roar and Scald respectively. The combination of Tentacruel + Swampert gives you a solid bulky Water-type backbone against a bunch of teams, excellently supporting Mega Absol's sweep and keeping the rest of your team safe from opposing hazards.

Iron Fist CB Conkeldurr > Guts CB Conkeldurr
The Iron First CB Conkeldurr set is much scarier and much more effective than the Guts one you've provided, as it gives you access to the second-strongest Priority move in UU while making Conkeldurr a menacing wallbreaker that's capable of 2HKOing even 120 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola with a tiny bit of chip damage. Florges' access to Aromatherapy will help mitigate status, so Guts isn't necessary. A lot needs to be changed on Conkeldurr, so I'll list the set in the importable. With the changes I'll suggest to Mega Absol, this Conkeldurr should be used as a wallbreaker, beating down physical walls that would otherwise prevent Mega Absol from sweeping.

SD Mega Absol > SDPass Mega Absol
Also, the Mega Absol set needs to go; it lacks the bulk needed to reliably pass boosts while failing to capitalize on Mega Absol's strengths. Instead, consider the standard Swords Dance sweeper set instead. By removing Feraligatr and focusing on this set, your team develops a dynamic. Mega Absol becomes the core member and main sweeper with everything else supporting it in some form or another. The set will be listed in the hide tag.

Duck Tank P2 > Offensive P2
Porygon2's set needs reworking, as you don't capitalize on its strengths and what it brings to your team. Porygon2 is better suited as a bulky tank considering your team (currently) lacks a consistent switch in to Hydreigon, Sylveon, and Celebi. It's very important to consider these three whenever you build a team, since they're currently some of the most dominant special attackers in the tier right now. Drop Thunderbolt in favour of Thunder Wave, use the Trace ability instead of Analytic, and change the EV spread to 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpDef with a Calm nature. This setup will allow you to repeatedly throw Porygon2 at powerful special attackers with impunity while giving Conkeldurr and Mega Absol Paralysis support, aiding in their dismantling of the opposing team.

The only nitpick with Florges is its EV spread. Run 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef to make it bulkier and more effective at supporting the team. The Special Attack will rise naturally with Calm Mind boosts in a late-game scenario, so no need to invest in it.

Even with these changes, I feel that the team itself is still far from complete. Consider stopping by the UnderUsed Room on PokemonShowdown! or signing up for a tutor through Battling 101 for additional help. Good luck with the team!

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Thank you so much for the suggestions. as said, I am new to UU and hope to get better, and these tips will really help me work out the kinks of my team. Goodra was annoying, as he was usually not every used but when used was usually a one hit KO. I have a question you can answer if you want. Who do you recommend I send out first? Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)