Defensive Walling Combinations

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You really need more than 2 walls nowadays to cover the game. You can't as reliably just use "generic physical wall + generic special wall" this generation.

Also, GAHH DUMB NAMES GAAH.

That being said, Thick Fat Hariyama and Bronzong work pretty well together, maybe throwing in a Gliscor / Nidoqueen for the Fighters. But no, no one gets to call it HariZong or Broniyama.

Man, I really, really like Hariyama. He's such a fantastic counter to T-Tar, Weavile, Infernape (with Thick Fat), Blissey, and stuff, plus he gets cool moves like Knock Off and Force Palm.

Oh, yeah, combos. Blissey + Spiritomb works to wall every special attacker, as the only things that can beat Calm Blissey on the special side on a lucky lucky day are PorygonZ (immunity), Lucario (immunity), and Azelf (immunity), plus he covers Gengar, Alakazam, and the like.

Does anyone else find two Pokemon names fused into one about as gay as two Pokemon sprites fused into one?

The only resists-everything combo I've found is Magnezone + Dragon/Flying. You need a Steel to do it either way because of Dragon, plus a million other resistances. Magnezone resists all but Water, Ground, Fire and Fighting, and both Salamence and Dragonite resist all four of those.

<Tangerine> Gyarados + Magnezone works too
<Mekkah> yes and so does mantine and pelipper .___.

One idea I've been toying with, if they ever feel the need to drop Lati@s down to OU due to the results of the Eon Tournament, is Heatran + Latias.

Let's looks at resistances. Latias is weak to Dark, Ghost, Ice, Dragon, and Bug, which Heatran either 2x or 4x resists. Heatran is weak to Fighting, Water, and Ground, which Latias is either immune to or 2x resists. And the only type I can think of that this combo doesn't resist is Rock.

Then we look at movepools. Latias has one key move that differentiates it from Celebi or Tangrowth when pairing it with Heatran: Wish. This means that Heatran doesn't need to be a Rest-Talker to hang around forever. It also means that you can fully employ Heatran's support options, like Stealth Rock and screens, or go offensive with a Choice item. Latias also gets screens and Safeguard to support Heatran, or can go offensive with a Calm Mind set.

This really looks like a beastly walling duo on paper, but as of now it's purely hypothetical. Who knows, though, Lati@s could be unbanned, several participants of the Eon Tournament seem to think so.

No 2 pokemon are that great all around. If they were we'd all use those 2 and 4 offensive pokemon now wouldn't we?

Anyhow, ADV Zapdos and Swampert work well. (already said.)

Gliscor and Cresselia/Slowbro are ok too. Not a large amount of immunities and a SD weavile weak to boot, but they can kill off some of the biggest threats pretty damn well.

Forretress/Dusknoir kill off a lot of threats not barring crazy shit like infernape.

Skarmory/Defensive Rhyperior kill off most physical threats or at least force them to switch.(other than some scary CB fighters)

Bronzong/Zapdos are pretty decent. These 2 resist /are immune to all but 5 types: water, electric, dark, ghost, and fire. Heatproof Zong would help with the fire problem, sort of. Throw in Heatran and only thing left is water and electric.

Brain's not working right now. :( Maybe I'll come back later and post some more.

Lucariodos. Lucario is weak to fight, fire and ground, all of which Gyara handles. Gyara is weak to Rock and Electric, Luc resists rock (x4!) and takes neutral from Electric. Amgenezone is a problem though.

Lucariodos. Lucario is weak to fight, fire and ground, all of which Gyara handles. Gyara is weak to Rock and Electric, Luc resists rock (x4!) and takes neutral from Electric. Amgenezone is a problem though.
Lucario doesn't exactly take T-bolts directed at Gyara very well.

What's Amgenezone?

posting to say that snorlax+Gliscor sux imo,because of ape weak.
hmh..personally i like celetran,skarmbliss(shame on me ^^) and Dusknoir+Bliss is also a really cool combo.

Stop fusing names! Skarmbliss is bad enough but its just getting annoying now :/

'Omg its celedostranellia'

Bulky Salamence and Jirachi is nice, U-turn/Wish/Stealth Rock help 'Mence take things down better, and obviously it helps with the ice weakness, I think its important to make sure your 'walls' can actually do something back, I know Blissey is effective and all, but it isn't offensive enough for me.

Oh, the above combo is Salachi, or Jimence.

Stop fusing names! Skarmbliss is bad enough but its just getting annoying now :/

'Omg its celedostranellia'

Bulky Salamence and Jirachi is nice, U-turn/Wish/Stealth Rock help 'Mence take things down better, and obviously it helps with the ice weakness, I think its important to make sure your 'walls' can actually do something back, I know Blissey is effective and all, but it isn't offensive enough for me.

Oh, the above combo is Salachi, or Jimence.
O_O Salami

I know this isn't exactly a defensive combination so much as a potential tanking combo, but I drew this right after DP came out and wondered why people were all up on Garchomp when you had such awesome type combos as these two together.

I know this isn't exactly a defensive combination so much as a potential tanking combo, but I drew this right after DP came out and wondered why people were all up on Garchomp when you had such awesome type combos as these two together.
Salamence and Magnezone cover better.

Blissey and Dusknoir resist pretty well. On top of that I ran a Swampert to stop Tyranitar, and then a Heatran for dark resist to help with Hera's Night Slash while providing offensive firepower.

I think a ape w/ hp ice'n flamothrower can stop it, and like a user here said:
If six pokes can't cover as well, imagine two :P

Wow I'm getting tried of people saying "your going to need more then two walls for this new metagame". Yea its true, but this thread is for your "defensive core" aka 2-3 pokemon you use well to conter some not all of todays metagame.

sorry if that comes off a little rude, but we don't need everyone saying it, the first to say it is enough.

I think a ape w/ hp ice'n flamothrower can stop it, and like a user here said:
If six pokes can't cover as well, imagine two :P
Thank you for taking my drawing of Metagross and Salamance high-fiving with flowers and hearts as a serious critique of the DP Metagame. I don't know where I would be without your insight.

Thank you for taking my drawing of Metagross and Salamance high-fiving with flowers and hearts as a serious critique of the DP Metagame. I don't know where I would be without your insight.
And thanks for quoting the same image 2 times everyone!

I think its a given that having a bulky steel type is basically a necessity what with all of the dragon/ice/dark/rock attacks flying around, but as I said before you need to maintain your offense, so Metagross/Mence actually does that pretty well.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry if this has already been posted or commented on, but I was thinking about the combination of Torterra and Empoleon, they resist most, if not all, of each others weaknesses, Empoleon walls specially, while Torterra handles physical threats.

They both have access to both Stealth rock and a phazing move.

I don't know how well it would work though, looks alright on paper though.

but then theres heracross. i love him dont get me wrong in fact hes my favorite poke for this reason. He screws up walling combos. period. your combo pretty much needs gliscor or its hera weak.

Does anyone else find two Pokemon names fused into one about as gay as two Pokemon sprites fused into one?
NO WAI MAN!
/palm2face said:
Blister
Blisszing
Empcor
BlissNoir
SuiTomb
BronzTran
Stallstoise
SubSeedile
SubSeedlypluff
Tyrantnite
Cressnoir
Lucariodos
MegaStar

These names are genius guys! You should be immortalized for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)