Defining the NU Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically just for fun and as a sort of simulation of what NU would be like. This is not "now this is NU deal with it."

Why is every tier that is tested/somewhat stable always have arguments arise?
Are you referring to UU here? If so, look how many BLs there are. There's a LOT. That's a lot of Pokemon that are not very useful in OU, but are banned from UU. A lot of Pokemon that we can, pretty much never, use effectively. For all we know, we may be able to get a stable UU metagame with only 10 or so Pokemon banned. Banning Pokemon a few at a time instead of guessing which ones should be banned MIGHT accomplish that.

When we get the proper UU tier, we'll have far less arguements than we have now. Anyways, you can go off an have fun. But just remember, whatever you find out means as much to the tier listing process as a mono-Rock tournament does. It means nothing, and nobody should try to make it mean anything. It's ONLY for fun.

I played a few NU matches under this ruleset and I gotta say its very obvious who the suspects are for whateva the name of the ban tier for NU is. Right now the matches I played look like UU matches.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Guys, there will always be Pokemon that are used much more than others, in ANY metagame.

FYI guys, the site is now updated with all the matches completed, um I only have one log so far. Be sure to send me a log when you finish your match.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, since it looks like it seems Obi sees January as the starting point of the BL-UU move, we'd see the "real smogon UU" probably some-time around . . . next April maybe? And then we can take a few more months for X-Act to draw the cut-off marks, and then sometime around next July we can start open the NU-Ladder. Maybe.

Keep in mind that when it comes to "testing" the BL-UU community is tiny compared to the OU one, and it'll be even smaller once you start testing NU.

Overall, the task of setting up NU seems logistically ridiculous in general (just because of how few players there are), but at least if you start it with theorymon the [very few] players who want to play it don't have to wait a year. By which time the next game might come out and upset things all over again. haha

I mean, if you thought waiting for a Ladder match for UU was annoyingly long (and high in chance to face the same opponent 4 times in a row), just wait for NU lol. If the [very tiny] NU community wants to start playing now with an arbitrary list rather than "wait for the great smogon process" I personally think that's a better idea-- if only because an official NU ladder probably wouldn't make setting up matches much easier than non-laddered anyway.

Yes, I know that bumping up UU's level will mean bumping up NU's level, but even if NU is the same level as the current UU, there will be far fewer players in it than the current UU, if only because UU will always suck up players too, especially if it gets more high-level pokemon it'd probably grow into a more widely played tier and take up even more players.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Actually, since it looks like it seems Obi sees January as the starting point of the BL-UU move, we'd see the "real smogon UU" probably some-time around . . . next April maybe? And then we can take a few more months for X-Act to draw the cut-off marks, and then sometime around next July we can start open the NU-Ladder. Maybe.
The cut-off point is already stated clearly and exactly. Did I ever take a 'few months' to calculate the cut-off marks? What the hell are you talking about?

I'm actually one of the persons who suggested that the UU ladder could start being tested while the uber suspects are also being tested. Yeah, I only suggest stuff here. I implement only things that I have the power to implement and that the Smogon people have agreed with. I never imposed anything on the community, as far as I know.

If you want, I can give you a UU list within a day of Doug releasing the statistics of UU for September, which should be soon. But people are not agreeing of what should be BL and what isn't. That is the problem. That is exactly why I said clearly that the definition of NU depends on what we choose to be uber and BL. If people are still debating what is BL, how can I release an official UU list?

The problem is with you players who can't agree on what is uber and what is BL. The recent move of Garchomp from OU to uber and the release of Platinum has left me with a huge headache about how am I supposed to intepret OU now, but I solved that as well. I don't even play Pokemon... I just release an official OU list from the statistics I'm provided by Doug. Whenever you guys decide to make BL something relatively fixed, not have its list changed every two weeks, I'll start releasing an official UU list as well.

So, if you want an official UU list from the UU ladder statistics that are going to be released soon, I'll provide them. Just don't come complaining to me when BL has 5 changes in one month, though.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What the fuck is BetterthanLori talking about?

No one has ever said the advertising going on in this thread was infraction worthy. I merely pointed out that it was advertising for a tournament that was rejected by the tournament directors, which is kind of a slap in the face here.

Stop being stupid guys and making this bigger than it should be. I said it won't mean anything to Smogon. Don't get your panties in a bunch. That's all it means: it won't mean anything to Smogon.

Go ahead, have your "fun." That's fine. Stop being overdramatic children though.

And BetterthanLori, I suggest you think before you post. "A handful of people are trying to do someting productive" is an outright joke. They are making a tier based off of what we have already decided is a flawed tier. That is not productive; that is being excessively stubborn about what YOU want and not what is feasible. That's why their actions are rejected, but they are NOT punished. This joke of topic being allowed to stay open is clear evidence of that.

If they shutup about it and just went and did their own thing, that would be fine. But they have decided to moan and bitch and whine and slander (you, Skiddle, Shelcario, Cynthia, Age of Kings along with a few others have all slandered respected members of this community) on Smogon itself...Even then there have been no infractions handed out except to the most obvious of insults.

I'm growing tired of the attitude of you people. I say that you are advertising (not that you would get infracted for that advertising), I say that your actions won't mean anything, and instead of simply acknowledging those FACTS you all start pissing blood.

Calm down please.

Is Smogon really the greatest waste of time ever?

Smogon's current plan for UU will take many months, and they don't even want to start it for several more weeks. By the time Smogon is complete with all of its plans, the 5th generation will be here already.

A handful of people who are actually taking a stand and trying something productive with their time simply get flamed and outright rejected.

I don't understand why Smogon is so negative towards all of this.

And to the people who considered (or have) dropped out of this tournament because of fear of bannings... Grow some fucking balls and enjoy your free will. There is no realistic way a sane staff member would ban a respected member for joining a tournament on some other site with no real effect on Smogon other then a few possible battle logs.
Because the people that would've done the work towards this have left, and people are still ornery that they actually have to do things themselves? I don't know. All I know is, the people generally called "respected" around here are some of the biggest trolls on this forum by and large, and I'm getting tired of them pointlessly yelling at the people trying to make this game better for everyone else.

If they shutup about it and just went and did their own thing, that would be fine. But they have decided to moan and bitch and whine and slander (you, Skiddle, Shelcario, Cynthia, Age of Kings along with a few others have all slandered respected members of this community) on Smogon itself...Even then there have been no infractions handed out except to the most obvious of insults.
I'm really tired of arguing with you in general, but about "shutting up and doing their own thing", you came into this thread and repeatedly tried to shut it down, your presence wasn't exactly asked for if I recall correctly. I haven't slandered anyone who didn't deserve it either, I try to treat all members of Smogon with the same level of respect regardless of badges. I didn't make personal attacks, I just argued my position. Disagreeing with you does not make me any less a valuable member of Smogon.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<stuff>

The problem is with you players who can't agree on what is uber and what is BL.

<more stuff>
Well, without us players there isn't exactly a game to begin with. That's all I got to say in regards to . . . everything.

The players are what's important, the game exists for the players. Their opinions should matter-- and they should not have to be brilliant and eloquent, or fuck I don't think they should even have to be particularly intelligent, for their opinions to carry weight.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm really tired of arguing with you in general, but about "shutting up and doing their own thing", you came into this thread and repeatedly tried to shut it down, your presence wasn't exactly asked for if I recall correctly. I haven't slandered anyone who didn't deserve it either, I try to treat all members of Smogon with the same level of respect regardless of badges. I didn't make personal attacks, I just argued my position. Disagreeing with you does not make me any less a valuable member of Smogon.
I did not try to shut anything down. Think before you speak, it's a good quality.

I said nothing would come of this. Nice try with your pathetic attempts at slander Cynthia, but they fail as miserably as your attempts to slap the Smogon Tournament directors in the face by attemping to advertise a tournament ON SMOGON that was rejected by them.

I never stated that disagreeing with you made you a less valuable member of smogon. Stop trying to play some innocent victim here. You and all your cronies have done nothing other than slander repeatedly, and you take no responsibility for your blatant disregard for the tournament directors.

What makes you a less valuable member is your penchant to believe you are correct (when you are not), your penchant to completely ignore what has been decided and your penchant to slander members of this community, all the while giving little to no recognizable contributions.

As for on topic contributions to this pathetic topic, X-Act and I did some preliminary discussions regarding the actual eventual establishment of NU. We are discussing (not discussing) two month increments; first two months to allow the platinum metagame to somewhat stabalize so that we can make a OU list, implement the new UU ladder, and then use one month of playing on that to determine the first ban list, and then one more month to determine more bans to BL. Hopefully by January 1, we will have what we subjectively determine is a "Stable new UU metagame," and then we can use the two month statistics to make NU.

Basically by January 1, we should have OU, UU and NU base metagames done, and then whatever individual Pokemon need to be play tested can be play tested accordingly.

Have a nice day.

X-Act

Well, without us players there isn't exactly a game to begin with. That's all I got to say in regards to . . . everything.

The players are what's important, the game exists for the players. Their opinions should matter-- and they should not have to be brilliant and eloquent, or fuck I don't think they should even have to be particularly intelligent, for their opinions to carry weight.
I agree completely with you. So please, you players, why don't you pull your weight and decide once and for all what's BL, instead of change BL every nanosecond that passes?

You people act like I am one of the people that I'm at fault for not having NU even remotely defined. The truth is that if you people keep changing BL that often, I cannot do anything about neither the UU list nor the NU list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)