Deoxys-Normal (Revamp) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

mags

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]

Deoxys is well known for being horrible in every way. Offensively, it's outclassed by Deoxys-A, and as an entry hazard setter, it's outclassed by Deoxys-S. It has base 150 Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, which isn't bad, but Deoxys doesn't hit as hard as Deoxys-A. The small increase in bulk it gets over Deoxys-A is so minuscule that it won't matter in most situations; however, it does allow Deoxys to survive Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out without investment. Investing heavily in Defense adds some surprise factor to Deoxys, letting it survive stronger attacks such as Extreme Killer Arceus's Extreme Speed. Doing so is really gimmicky, but it might be worthwhile, as Deoxys has nothing better to be doing. Its only true niche is giving you an excuse for losing. No serious team should ever have this Pokemon on it, due to it being useless and 100% outclassed.

[SET]
name: Based Ekiller Check
move 1: Psycho Boost
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Counter / Superpower
item: Chilan Berry
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid / Naive
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

This moveset aims to salvage as much utility as possible from Deoxys. Psycho Boost is Deoxys's strongest STAB move and allows it to chip away at threats even without Special Attack investment. Spikes is a great entry hazard that helps teammates sweep more easily. Deoxys's main job isn't to set up entry hazards, but it's always a nice option if it has nothing better to do. Taunt stops opposing threats from setting up, laying entry hazards, and spreading status. The one strange move on this set is Counter, which is used for retaliating against Extreme Killer Arceus. Deoxys survives even a +2 Extreme Speed, and Counter will OHKO Arceus. Superpower is another option over Counter, as if Arceus tries to attack Deoxys with another move or just sets up on the predicted Counter, Deoxys will fail to check Arceus. Superpower is still able to deplete more than half of Arceus's HP, which is better than nothing.

Set Details
========

The 252 HP EVs and 200 Defense EVs might seem wasted on a Pokemon that only has 50 / 50 physical bulk, but they allow Deoxys to check Extreme Killer Arceus. The 56 Speed EVs alongside a Timid nature make Deoxys faster than Darkrai so that Deoxys can cripple it with Taunt or set up Spikes before it faints. They also allow Deoxys to hit Darkrai with Superpower if it is running the move; however, when running Superpower, a Naive nature is advised as to not lower its power. Chilan Berry halves damage taken from a single Normal-type attack, allowing Deoxys to survive a boosted Extreme Speed from Extreme Killer Arceus after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes.

Usage Tips
========

If you suspect that your opponent has Extreme Killer Arceus, keeping Deoxys healthy by waiting in the back is a good option so that it can check it. If the opponent reveals another Arceus forme, Deoxys is free to set Spikes, chip away at threats, and Taunt Pokemon that might set up. If they reveal Extreme Killer Arceus, switching in Deoxys is not a good idea because Extreme Speed will activate Chilan Berry and 2HKO Deoxys on the switch. Sacrificing a teammate and then bringing Deoxys is the safest play, but you can switch it in on a predicted Swords Dance if you want to keep the teammate alive.

Team Options
========

Deoxys shouldn't be used on a serious team, but if you must use it, it really doesn't need any teammates to function. Anything that can get some notable OHKOs after Spikes will benefit from Deoxys. Having an actual, reliable answer to Extreme Killer Arceus is nice, too, as Deoxys will usually not be enough. Pokemon that can switch into Yveltal and Giratina-O, such as Mega Diancie and Xerneas, work well because the threat of super effective priority moves will force Deoxys out.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Using another Pokemon is the most optimal course of action when thinking about using Deoxys. However, if you must use this Pokemon, for whatever reason, Magic Coat is usable to allow Deoxys to act as an anti-lead against entry hazard setters such as Deoxys-S. Stealth Rock can replace Spikes if need be, but there are more reliable Stealth Rock setters out there. Deoxys can opt for Extreme Speed to weaken or revenge kill threats that outspeed it.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye's Magic Bounce will bounce back Spikes and Taunt. Mega Sableye is also immune to Psycho Boost and Superpower, making it the best switch-in to Deoxys in the metagame.

**Giratina-O**: The threat of Shadow Sneak will force out Deoxys, allowing Giratina-O to Defog away Deoxys's Spikes on the switch. Psycho Boost does not do enough damage to Giratina-O because of its great bulk.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types are nuisances to Deoxys because they are immune to Psycho Boost. If Deoxys doesn't want Pokemon like Dark Arceus and Darkrai to set up on it, it will be forced to sacrifice itself so that it can Taunt them. Tyranitar can Pursuit trap Deoxys, making it difficult to play around.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Unexpected Choice Scarf users such as Xerneas can easily take out Deoxys as it tries to use Taunt or Spikes. Choice Scarf Landorus-T can U-turn out of Deoxys or any teammate that switches in to check it, creating momentum for the opposing team.

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slash Low Kick onto there so you can mindgame EKillers who think they can SD when you Counter.

Otherwise, since this is Deo-N and it's useless anyway, qc 1/3

i dont understand how this set is any less useless than the old one. what is stopping ekiller from just using shadow claw? it still ohkos this set, and the spread/item doesn't solve any other (glaring) issues. you could say unexpected factor but now that its here, and theres no other reason to use it other than epic memes (so this set is all you can expect), that factor is now gone. at best you take 65% off with low kick, and thats not the first slash so at the moment it is ridic unreliable, and this is deoxys-n we are talking about. if you are gonna use a shitmon, it better have a reliable thing to be doing, and this doesn't do anything. the analysis already says it - this set would only work if your opponent is stupid, and thats not something we (or at least, i don't) approve analyses for. did i mention you could get deo-s to do this if you felt like it? its bulkier, AND its faster by default. its also less predictable.

qc rejected 1/3

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
Nayrz I can see how it's ridiculous and unreliable but it's deoxys-normal... You say it's outclassed by the speed form but the hazard lead set on the analysis is outclassed by either offensive and speed Form. The calm mind set is outclassed by the attack form. I guess having low kick would be better than counter but deoxys normal will always be outclassed by the other forms.

I think the set name should be DON'T USE DEOXYS-N. The set name is the first thing people see on the analysis, and you want to give people a warning before they use it on a team.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this set would only work if your opponent is stupid, and thats not something we (or at least, i don't) approve analyses for. did i mention you could get deo-s to do this if you felt like it? its bulkier, AND its faster by default. its also less predictable.
Thing is, at least this set HAS the perk that if your opponent is stupid you can cheap them out of an Ekiller, while the other sets are just regardless whether your opponent is well-informed or not, so I think we should just take what we can get. I mean come on, it's Deo-N, we're just replacing one useless set with other, it's not a big deal.

Deoxys @ Chilan Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 114 Def / 92 SpA / 56 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Counter / Low Kick

Use Timid or Naive nature and put these 92 SpA evs on other stat maybe.

Still useless.

i tend to be pretty serious about analyses in general, but yea...this isn't any more or less useless than the other set, and it's way more interesting.

Please emphasize this has no use on a serious team. QC 2/3

i guess i can get behind this purely on the basis that my old writeup is outdated (scarf ogre mentions, cm probably blows chunks even by deo-n standards thanks to a more physical meta compared to xy), and now we have a ~reason~ to give it an oras revamp but i still think deo-s would be better at this troll. what sweep said is true though.

tag me when this is written up and i'll 3/3 if nobody beats me to it.

Jeez this has a lot of grammar errors... take a look at this, update to the new analysis format (mods pls put that in the OP of the analysis thread), and this as there are some "rookie mistakes" that need changed up. Saves the gp time and effort. As for the current content its all good but i feel it needs to be said in much better ways. There's a ton of repetition and lack of professionalism across the analysis, something that's expected of all writers.

...You also blatantly copy and pasted a few lines from my old analysis, wtf???

Choice Scarf users: Choice Scarf users such as Genesect and Xerneas can outspeed Deoxys and limit its hazard laying.
Multi-Hit Moves: Users of multi-hit moves such as Scolipede (Pin Missile) and Cloyster (Icicle Spear, and Rock Blast) can pierce through Deoxys's Focus Sash and leave Deoxys with only one entry hazard up.
Dark types: Dark-types such as Yveltal, Darkrai, and Dark Arceus can easily take advantage of Deoxys as they are immune to Psycho Boost.
At least try to hide it or some shit. There's a bunch of other lines i can attribute to "rewritten words of my old writeup" but i'm not gonna explain this any further. That shit does not fly here. Deoxys might be the shittiest ubers mon to get an analysis but at least put some damn effort into it.

I wanna see this rewritten, with the correct format, decent grammar, and good information / explanations, and perhaps i won't get this reassigned. Last i heard, there is a 0 tolerance on plagiarism around here.

e: discussion was had through forum pm, this should be up to scratch soon.

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
sorry Nayrz yea i did take that didn't know I needed a new checks and counters list cause it really didn't change

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does this even really need to be reassigned? If its only more interesting than the other set and no more useful (I agree with this). I guess we can try to reassign it, but we shouldnt sweat over it is what I am trying to get at.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying that c/ping from an existing analysis is considered plagiarism and is worth a nice 3 pointer. However, this has not gone through yet so if you were just using it as a placeholder, that's okay for now. You better change it before GP gets to it though, or you'll get a nice plump infraction like Jukain did a couple years ago (then went on to be head of OU QC or something ridiculous so I guess it doesn't matter).

mags

Banned deucer.
I took out the plagiarized parts and tried to fix some grammar but I'm busy with school at the end of my quarter. I don't really care if it's reassigned or not at this point but yea all the plagiarized parts were taken out and replaced with new descriptions unless I'm missing something.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cool beans magsyy, thanks for understanding. Also PleaseDontBanMe if you read over the analysis, it's plenty negative, and I don't think it needs to be changed in that aspect.

Last edited:
Reame the set to DON'T USE DEOXYS or (Shaky) Ekiller Check at least, to warn people about using this. I don't think it can check Ekiller if it sets up one Swords dance, as shown by this calc:
0 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 184-217 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO

Where Arceus can OHKO with anything at +2.
So yeah, Deo-N is a shaky check.

mags

Banned deucer.
PleaseDontBanMe I understand that you are concerned about anyone thinking that Deoxys-N has a niche or is good but if you read over the analysis it's pretty clear that it's outclassed. I pointed it out many times. Also if you read over the analysis this spread is to make sure Arceus wont ohko at +2 even with sr and 2 spikes.

Okay, you will probably disagree with this, but mention that any reasonably good player will wear Deo-N down until it can no longer check the Ekiller set.

mags

Banned deucer.
PleaseDontBanMe the whole point of this is to just cheese somebody that isn't familiar with the set. No set on Deoxys-N will be good and at least this is interesting. Of course if you know about the set it's gonna be useless but thats the same with every set. I mentioned that it's unreliable and gimmicky which is good enough. I don't think we need to make a big fuss about a fun set on a useless mon... it's pretty clear that it's bad and anyone who actually reads the analysis will realize that to.

going to permit this analysis, but before someone stamps it i'm gonna give it a pre-GP check via edits :o

shrang

General Kenobi
Couple of things from a QC POV before we go through with GP:

- If you want to slash a Fighting move to Deo-N to check Darkrai, slash Superpower > Low Kick please. It does the same damage to Ekiller while actually OHKOing Darkrai after rocks or LO, while Low Kick doesn't actually get the OHKO.
- If you're going to slash the Fighting move, slash in a Naive nature as well. Lax nature with 56 Spe does NOT outspeed Darkrai, Naive does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)