dex reorganization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Since every dex in the world seems to have all the information on pokemon, I figure it's best to do a little dex reorganization and return to our roots on just focusing on competitive battling. My idea was to make the main dex page a merger of the important data on the pokemon (stats, abilities, types, weight/height, moves) and the strategy page and leave shit off like the pokedex descriptions, classification, full sprite list, etc for a multi-generational "flavour text" page that includes all the fun information nobody gives a shit about for competitive fighting.

This would also mean that for the majority of things, we scrap in-game definitions displayed in favor of our own, more accurate descriptions. The in-game descriptions would be available on the flavor text page.

Opinions?

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not entirely sure. I mean, on one hand, if we drop that kind of info, we're going to lose hits to places like Serebii that do have that information. On the other hand, if people are just coming here for that information, do we really "want" them...? I suppose we probably do, because they click ads and help our status all the same...

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i think this is a good idea, its better to have all the core stuff on one page rather than flip flop back and forth between 2

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I'm not entirely sure. I mean, on one hand, if we drop that kind of info, we're going to lose hits to places like Serebii that do have that information. On the other hand, if people are just coming here for that information, do we really "want" them...? I suppose we probably do, because they click ads and help our status all the same...
which is why we'd have the seperate flavour page with sprites from all generations, the pokedex text, and other stuff. i think that also solves some of the problems of using a generational dex since it seems awkward to have stuff like a subsection of the pokedex text on one page and a subsection on another, etc

it would just highlight the important stuff we focus on and sort of put all of the nintendo clutter on a backburner.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think downscaling/eliminating the unimportant in-game stuff is fine. The stats/flavor text page hasn't really served me much use, and has been more of an annoyance having to change from it to the strategy page depending on where I'm clicking from.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
which is why we'd have the seperate flavour page with sprites from all generations, the pokedex text, and other stuff. i think that also solves some of the problems of using a generational dex since it seems awkward to have stuff like a subsection of the pokedex text on one page and a subsection on another, etc

it would just highlight the important stuff we focus on and sort of put all of the nintendo clutter on a backburner.
Oh, then definitely. I think I misunderstood what you were saying before.

it'd definitely be useful imo. itd be a lot less flipping to have to do for info that people actually use.

also a suggestion: a list of pokemon to breed with for certain moves based on the sets on the page; like for dusclops, it commonly has pain split, so you would list what pokemon it would breed with for the move. that way you dont need a huge list of pokemon that it breeds with and only the ones you would need for competitive moves.

chaos

Owner
That's easy enough I think: I'll add an option to only show pokemon on the breed list that learn moves that the pokemon in question can only learn through breed.

Sounds good to me. We are obviously a competitive pokemon site. So if people aren't here for that, tough luck. Of course, it is still nice to offer all of the "flavor text" stuff just for people who like to see it sometimes. I see nothing wrong with offering a little bit of in-game info as long as we make sure we have the best competitive battling info possible.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
From my limited knowledge of pokemon and my extensive knowledge of Smogon, this sounds like a great direction to take the dex.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah I'm for it, for a sec I misread and thought you wanted to do away with the flavor text stuff in general but I agree 100%. This is a competitive battling site first and foremost, so that should be what features most prominently on the initial page. Like it or not, by default, having flavor text on the same page as competitive stuff would take away from it in one way or another.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Being the best in your niche is what it is all about. Smogon is the best competitive site around so it makes sense to play to our strength. I´m all for it.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I think the biggest + in this idea is the fact that we add our OWN move descriptions. Some of the official ones are very...vague.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I think I suggested earlier having some moves have a more in-depth description on the move dex, perhaps via a link, but for most moves, just replacing flavour text for Smogo(u)n text would solve a lot of those problems. Obviously the more complicated moves, like Doom Desire / Future Sight would need a link to somewhere else, because it's just too much to put on an all-inclusive move page without adding clutter, I think.

So in other words, I'm Obi2Kenobi, and I approve this switch. =)

i think that the useless information on the dex has contributed too much to my carpal tunnel for you guys to get rid of it. if you do, you are paying for my surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)