Diggersby

Magnemite When you're writing this, make sure to mention that SD Diggersby in particular requires Stealth Rock / general entry hazard support, since some OHKOes aren't guaranteed without them:
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-313 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 200-238 (67.1 - 79.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 187-222 (68.7 - 81.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if it switches in as normal Pinsir)
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 242-285 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 242-285 (75.6 - 89%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 324-382 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (after Intimidate)
  • +2 Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 265-313 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
  • +2 Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 360-425 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (yeah I know nobody really runs phys def Hippowdown, it's good to be prepared, and the fact that you can OHKO the mixed defensive variant without even trying is cool in itself)
And yeah overall, you get my point, it's auxiliary, just like on any offensive Pokemon, and these Pokemon are stuff you're likely to see these days. Just mention Pokemon than can perform quick!spikes or quick!SR and you should be dandy.
Okay. Also, sorry this hasn't been written up yet but I should have it done tomorrow or Wednesday.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
7:16 PM<•jukain> hm
7:16 PM<•jukain> i kinda feel like
7:16 PM<•jukain> scarf is better than sd rn on diggersby
7:17 PM<•jukain> scarf is just so good against offensive teams
7:17 PM<•jukain> it has the brute force to kill a lot of stuff with just max attack adamant
7:17 PM<•jukain> alone
7:17 PM<•Kevin> i havent tried scarf yet but i want to
7:17 PM<•Kevin> it seems sick
7:17 PM<•jukain> and it can't be twaved bc electric
7:17 PM<•jukain> and u-turn
7:17 PM<•Kevin> you mean ground
7:18 PM<•jukain> err gorund
7:18 PM<•jukain> ground*
7:18 PM<•jukain> yeah
7:18 PM<•jukain> sd kinda fucks stall up but there's a lot of stuff that does that and
7:18 PM<•jukain> most teams are offensive
7:19 PM↔Tsunami (was jrkj; halfopped) nipped out
7:19 PM<•jukain> and it's really hard to set up vs offense

Basically this. I'd like to see Scarf moved up to the first set.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Is a double dance set with swords dance and agility worth it? It can be tough setting up both, but if you have dual screens set up from the likes of Deoxys-D or Klefki, then Diggersby sweeps effortlessly. The swords dance set can be outsped and OHKO'd by powerful attackers, but an agility set lacks the raw power needed for KO's against bulkier Pokemon. Using both swords dance and agility allows Diggersby to decimate faster and bulkier ckecks without resorting to quick attack. Sorry I don't have time to write up damage calculations for return and equake I have some business to attend to.

Is a double dance set with swords dance and agility worth it? It can be tough setting up both, but if you have dual screens set up from the likes of Deoxys-D or Klefki, then Diggersby sweeps effortlessly. The swords dance set can be outsped and OHKO'd by powerful attackers, but an agility set lacks the raw power needed for KO's against bulkier Pokemon. Using both swords dance and agility allows Diggersby to decimate faster and bulkier ckecks without resorting to quick attack. Sorry I don't have time to write up damage calculations for return and equake I have some business to attend to.
The problem with Double Dance is you have to forgo Quick Attack in order to use it. This makes Swords Dance much less effective, as it means Diggersby can't pick off faster threats. Also, by the time Diggersby has set up two boosts, even under Dual Screens, he'll most likely be severely weakened to the point where he'll either die from Life Orb or die from incoming priority. Really, Double Dance isn't bad, but Diggersby works best at wallbreaking, something that Agility really doesn't help with.

:O A wild 400th post appeared!

Last edited:
Double Dance is bad. Forgoing QA is unacceptable on SD, and Agility isn't really that good on its own, so its doubtful it would be good with one less moveslot. A Spikes + 3 attacks set is actually very intriguing though, I'm testing it right now. Diggersby consistently forces switches, giving it ample setup opportunities for Spikes. I would recommend you try it too, but if you'd like to continue with this analysis without the stress of adding another set, I can test it, discuss with QC, and post it in a new thread.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
The problem with Double Dance is you have to forgo Quick Attack in order to use it. This makes Swords Dance much less effective, as it means Diggersby can't pick off faster threats. Also, by the time Diggersby has set up two boosts, even under Dual Screens, he'll most likely be severely weakened to the point where he'll either die from Life Orb or die from incoming priority. Really, Double Dance isn't bad, but Diggersby works best at wallbreaking, something that Agility really doesn't help with.

:O A wild 400th post appeared!
'gratz Luxray!!! 400th!!! Presumably after screens are set up, you'd only set up on a mon it forces out such as Heatran and Chansey, live a hit next turn and proceed to sweep. Situational but can work.

Double Dance is bad. Forgoing QA is unacceptable on SD, and Agility isn't really that good on its own, so its doubtful it would be good with one less moveslot. A Spikes + 3 attacks set is actually very intriguing though, I'm testing it right now. Diggersby consistently forces switches, giving it ample setup opportunities for Spikes. I would recommend you try it too, but if you'd like to continue with this analysis without the stress of adding another set, I can test it, discuss with QC, and post it in a new thread.
I will admit double dance isn't that great, but spikes is much worse. Diggersby is more suited to punching holes through teams not setting up spikes. The main reason why it's a bad spiker is because of it's lackluster bulk. What if the opponent stays in and attacks instead of switching out and does significant damage? Trust me Diggersby's best option for predicted switches is to go for a different move on the incoming mon or set up SD or agility (depending on the set you run).

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Spikes doesn't seem very appealing. An offensive spikes user is good when it forces a lot of switches, and, it has a fair number of counters that would make boosting/attacking fruitless until these threats are removed, this lets that pokemon act very effectively early game when these counters are healthy. I think a decent example of this is spikes gren, thought seldom used, it can be pretty decent against teams with Chansey, as youll really fail to do much damage as you force the opponent's Gliscor or Hippo out, but, if you drop some spikes on that turn, then you're starting to chip away at the opponent even if they wall you. SR terrakion isn't dissimilar if the opp has Lando / Gliscor / Hippo.

I really can't think of many situations wheres this is true of diggersby.. Skarmory carries defog. I think you beat Lando, Venu, Hippo, Mandi, Physical wall if you SD as they come in, so thats basically moot. Most offensive switch ins eat shit if you hit them with the right attack. Diggy is actually that strong.

spikes has twice as much pp as defog meaning that toxic-less skarm (most of them from my experience) will be stalled out. i think a return / eq / quick attack / spikes @ sash set is worth trying out.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Magnemite you could mention in the overview that it is weak to most forms of priority such as aqua jet, ice shard, mach punch and vacuum wave, which can hamper it's ability to sweep. Especially since a lot of the powerful fighting types in OU carry mach punch. And that a Pokemon that can deal with these priority moves would be good teammates.

No mention of Sash on the SD set? It makes sure you can take out at least one revenge killer (if you can bring it in unharmed, which is not that hard due to its immunities) and puts the opponent in a really bad spot if they only have one bulky RK. Also opens up a sweep for other mons.

No mention of Sash on the SD set? It makes sure you can take out at least one revenge killer (if you can bring it in unharmed, which is not that hard due to its immunities) and puts the opponent in a really bad spot if they only have one bulky RK. Also opens up a sweep for other mons.
Life Orb is needed to wallbreaker effectively, which is the only reason to use Diggersby. Therefore, Sash isn't a very good item on Diggersby.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can Facade at least get a mention in OO? You can take advantage of a burn or toxic by gaining a 140 BP STAB move. Normally, a burn would make Diggersby utterly useless, but with Facade it allows it to hit even harder (since Facade now ignores the attack drop from burn).

I don't really think Facade is really worth a mention even in OO. It's really situational and basically leaves you hoping to get burned or poisoned to be worth the moveslot. On top of that you can beat just about every common users that would normally try to status you such as Rotom-W, Hippowdon, etc. I just don't really see how or when its really useful to run Facade.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
k so i've been using this

sash slash on sd please, it's soooo good in the matchup vs offense. slightly less power vs stall, but skarm has counter and you still 2hko the unaware mons so it isn't too big of a deal. this can let it get a free sd or rk threats with its sheer power. silk scarf is also worth including as lo can kinda stink when you need to complete a sweep, but you get almost as much power on your normal stab as lo which is very useful.

spikes is worthy of a significant oo mention, no more. i felt using this that i got more mileage attacking than spiking...just feels like this is best left to other things or not at all in general, but it can be cool in certain matchups with deo to clean.

I feel like Silk Scarf should be the primary slash. It doesn't really hurt the stall matchup at all, since the majority of the time you'll be spamming Return anyway and now you can't be stalled out with LO recoil. The only defensive mon I can think of it really hurts you against is max/max Ferro, which is potentially OHKO'd at +2 with LO. Against offense, again you get most of the same KO's, but you're not as vulnerable to fast priority, and you don't have to worry about taking a hit to set up.

Also Sash is amazing if that hasn't been said enough yet.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Wow I didn't even know diggers got spikes lmao.

Uh yeah, I personally agree that sash>silk>lo as for item choices, sash is pretty ballin against offense and let's you check a bunch of shit in general. It's nice.
Also, tiny tiny nitpick, but in C&C, "Gourgeist" --> "Gourgeist-S" just to be more specific.
Maybe mention how being immune to prio t-wave is nice?

• Good neutral STAB coverage
  • STABs have plenty of common resistances and immunities
I sense a contradiction in these lines.
What I mean is that while its STAB moves have good coverage together, they have bad coverage by themselves, which is relevant to the Choice Scarf set. The two most common types in OU are Flying and Steel, but only two OU Pokemon resist both its STABs.

Also I will write this up this weekend I swear on my life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)