DISCUSSION: Tournament Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point? It's almost guaranteed it won't have Earthquake and there's a chance it won't have Rock Slide and HP [Bug] either. I guess it can Dig but it still won't be nearly as useful as it is in standard OU.

Syberia said:
I say ban Dugtrio also.

EDIT: Definitely ban Baton Pass.
With the best offensive stat uppers banned, there's no point in banning Baton Pass. Especially with no Substitute. And also if you do pass an Agility, your Marowak isn't going to be able to sweep as easily without Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ToP said:
With the best offensive stat uppers banned, there's no point in banning Baton Pass. Especially with no Substitute. And also if you do pass an Agility, your Marowak isn't going to be able to sweep as easily without Earthquake and Rock Slide.
Double-Edge, HP Rock, Bonemerang, Focus Punch

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm adding a few more to the list I thought of today:

Flail/Reversal, Sludge Bomb, Belly Drum, Cosmic Power, Rock Slide, Hidden Power.

I am keeping the following moves: Baton Pass, Bonemerang, Body Slam, Spore. With the other bans in effect, these moves will have very limited use.

EDIT: To answer some questions from before about other bans, I'll also be banning Ubers and Evasion from the tourney.

Sludge Bomb isn't really used that much except for STAB. I don't really see the point of banning it. Also, Snorlax without EQ or Shadow Ball is easily walled.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Zero said:
You are basically suggesting a 'MOD database' sort of thing, which AAMS already has and you can set up your own modded server as well.

I don't see the point in a tournament because nobody will be able to agree on the changes.
This post is what everyone should be paying attention to.

People bitch and disagree in UU tournaments all the time and still there's plenty of them. It just doesn't work like that. Even if I don't agree to the rules WaterBomb picks I will participate.

If you're not planning to ban Seismic Toss, Blissey's going to run rampant in this thing... only now Gengar cant Focus Punch it, and Dugtrio cant Earthquake it to death anymore. Not to mention it can still recover using Wish, possibly with Protect as opposed to Softboiled.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slickee said:
If you're not planning to ban Seismic Toss, Blissey's going to run rampant in this thing... only now Gengar cant Focus Punch it, and Dugtrio cant Earthquake it to death anymore. Not to mention it can still recover using Wish, possibly with Protect as opposed to Softboiled.
/me notes Cross Chop and Brick Break are not banned.

Banning Wish or Protect seems viable to me. I'm going to go delete some moves from the list, because it's getting a big lengthy. What do you guys think of banning Wish and/or Protect/Detect?

WaterBomb said:
/me notes Cross Chop and Brick Break are not banned.

Banning Wish or Protect seems viable to me. I'm going to go delete some moves from the list, because it's getting a big lengthy. What do you guys think of banning Wish and/or Protect/Detect?
Dont forget Blissey also learns Counter, I'm not sure exactly how good OHKO is for those moves on Blisseys but I'm pretty sure it can survive and Counter back almost any fighting move you throw at it now that Focus Punch is gone, unless Machamp gets a CH Cross Chop.

That's only from my own memory though, correct me if I'm wrong...

EDIT: Ban Protect and really stick it to Ninjask... banning Wish also seems like a good idea considering all the other recover moves are being banned as well... if you're looking to trim some fat, bannign Perish Song and Cosmic Power seems frivolous.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Sorry for the double post, but I'm going to now post my "finalized" list of rules for the tournament. I'd like everyone to look them over. Unless there is a very blatant discrepancy (emphasis on the blatant) that will greatly affect the tournament, don't make any more suggestions. Just tell me if it looks good enough to run the tourney or not :).

HERE'S THE LIST OF RULES FOR THE TOURNAMENT:

Sleep Clause
No Evasion
No Ubers or Wobbuffet
No OHKOs

The following MOVES are banned:

Earthquake
Return/Frustration
Double-Edge
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Dragon Dance
Calm Mind
Curse
Bulk Up
Swords Dance
Toxic
Heal Bell/Aromatherapy* - I'm trying to decide between this one and the one below it.
Softboiled/Milk Drink*
Explosion
Perish Song
Focus Punch
Substitute
Leech Seed
Belly Drum
Cosmic Power
Rock Slide
Hidden Power
Flail/Reversal
Wish
Protect/Detect
Will O' Wisp

The following ITEMS are banned:

Leftovers

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you are banning stat increases and substitute you might as well ban baton pass (though I guess it has uses for switching)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)