Walrus do u like older music von (A Walrus) - Won by Morgan

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
29th
1.3 Points
Rodan

Green Day - Welcome to Paradise

I had to listen to some songs a bunch of times to hear the slight tricks used to open even fast songs. Like how this song immediately opens without percussion, then cymbal cymbal snare... so it's something. But compared to the rest of the entries, it's not much.

I really dislike the early 2000s rock scene that Green Day would inspire. I can't say that I'd dislike all of their music, but I don't like this.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
27th
2.9 Points
Adam
Motaigne - Till It Kills Me

This is definitely a good example of what I wanted out of this category. The song clearly changes at 30 seconds in and the intro has a softer feel with some weird backing going on. But...

When I asked for no mediocre club music in category six, that was the strongest hint I gave at the kind of music I hate the most. I've definitely heard worse so I gave it some points, but I hate these kind of oversung, tin sounding vocals, especially during the chorus.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
26th
3 Points
Agape

The Seatbelts - Bad Dog No Biscuits

Another song that just gets in there and does the same thing over and over. It's background music. It's Cowboy Bebop, which is nice, but there is better Cowboy Bebop music for both purposes.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
25th
3.1 Points
IcarusShadow

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand

This creates its intro by simply taking what it does all song and dwelling on it for a few bars. There's also some weird sound vaguely like someone lighting a cigarette. Not much.

Neat song. I like the sound, but I'm not fond of it simple repeating for 6 minutes.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
24th
3.3 Points
Asek

Preoccupations - Silhouettes

Similar opening to the last one. I couldn't immediately tell if this was an 80s or 2000s punk song. It turns out it was released in 2015. I'm not even that big on punk but I think this song is pretty good. I really like the brooding sound.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
23rd
3.6 Points
Yeti

ABBA - Waterloo

This is the last submission that didn't really get the category. I guess I should have known I was catering to a group that thinks catchy = fast, but how am I supposed to grade openings on a scale of 1-7 if there is barely an opening at all?

ABBA is usually pretty good at least.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
22nd
3.7 Points
Lightwolf

Tensei - Of Gods and Witches

Lightwolf was nice enough to tell me exactly what he considered an intro here, that being up to 40 seconds. I have yet to read Homestuck, so I'm not sure why it's so piratey. This is much closer to what I expect from an intro, but like the rest of the song, maybe I'd like it more if I was into Homestuck? It doesn't seem that impressive.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
21st
4.3 Points
Eagle4

DJ Shadow - Nobody Speak

This is a short intro but it's an effective one. That acoustic guitar. Yes, it's not a sound confined to the intro, but it's not omnipresent either.

Sending rap is a bold choice but it can work. This song is pretty hip, pretty hop. It's mostly the production that does wonders.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
20th
4.4 Points
Texas Cloverleaf

Kamelot - March of Mephisto

I should have guessed that this was secretly the metal music category. These songs tend to have opens upwards of a minute long with gradual buildup, as you can see here. This is fair relative to what has been submitted, but I'm not big on growly metal, which affects the song's score as well.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
19th
The Quasar

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

I wonder how many cries of robbed I'm going to get from this before people realize that the song just suddenly quits at one point. Why was this version sent to a game where no one would see the video? Asking if you were sure that this was the version you want (it's even 240p) was a big hint. This should have podiumed.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
18th
atomicllamas

Aurora - Runaway

There's a slow buildup over the first minute that sort of melds with the rest of the song. It's a legit submission, but probably would be lower if it weren't for worse subs. I'm interested in the song though. I probably only like it because of the celtic singer, but that harpsichord kicks ass too.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
17th
5 Points
Walrein

Slash - Anastasia

Here we go. Hear that guitar in the first minute? Even after a minute has passed, it spends about 15 seconds calming down before the lyrics start. Metal subs were pretty fair because I tend to like their intros more than the actual song. Case in point... This isn't really bad. Of course there is some good guitar playing going on throughout but it's a little hokey. "This may be our last goodbye", hello Europe...

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
16th
5.3 Points
theangryscientist

Jump Up, Superstar!

Late entry so sparse write-up. Nice little ditty of short opening. Could probably score this higher once the game comes out if I like it a lot, but definitely has potential even right now.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
15th
5.7 Points
AfroGear

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio

This opens up with a nice riff and that's about it. Certainly could do better with Metal, but at least Dio and this song are pretty good.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
14th
5.8 Points
Jellicent

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - The Sonics

This is something from my example that no one else submitted... simple crooning opening. I've heard it done better, but I've never heard The Sonics either and they've piqued my interest.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
13th
5.9 Points
SketchUp

War - Henry Cow

This gonna get cries of reverse robbed for days. But frankly, days is how long the intro stuck in my head. And by intro, I mean the only normal sounding lyric, "Tell of the birth, tell how war began on Earth". For a song that starts so suddenly it feels like a bit was cut off, the opening line really sets up the song well. It tells you what the song is about and the little 1/2 rhyme is nice.

The song itself is... something. Originally this was submitted to Getting Weird With It and was switched. This song would have done REALLY well in that category through. I just can't like the vocals, a mix between a german stereotype and a yapping dog. The backing sound is really nice, as is the breakdown.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
12th
6 Points
Myzozoa

Harm of Will - Bjork

Myzo said of this "you're free to hate the song as long as you like the intro". Which is strange cause it's another slow buildup that melds into an also slow song. It throws in a little something extra with the hyperventilation. But the song is absolutely fantastic. I had no idea what I'd think of Bjork, but this feels like the big guns were brought out. I could listen to a song this beautiful all day.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
10th
6.5 Points
KnightsofCydonia

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

One of the longest intros submitted. Of course the bells are nice, but I really like the guitar between 1:18 and 1:45. Metallica aren't a band I'm really fond of, but as far as metal goes, this song is pretty decent.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
9th
6.8 Points
Former Hope

Pokemon Theme Song

Everyone here is going to recognize the song just from the first few seconds, so of course it ranks well. And the song itself has always been one of the better American kids show openings.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
8th
7.3 Points
Da Letter El

Leviathan - Alestorm

"It'll be sad if I do better than anyone not golfing". Somehow the second pirate song this round. How could you feel you'd do bad when you submitted a song with such an awesome opening? The rest of the song is obviously silly but you can't help liking it. At worst it gets repetitive, but very fun.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
7th
8.5 Points
Blazade

Turn the Page - Bog Seger

After asking me if I wanted metal, and not saying no, I'm really suprised I didn't get any from Blazade from this category. But he didn't make a bad choice. At least we get some representation from the saxaphone opening that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Bob Seger was one of my favorite artists in high school back when I liked nothing but depressing 70s music. There is better Seger, but this song is still pretty great.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
6th
8.6 Points
UncleSam

Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns N' Roses

That lick would secure some points on its own, but a really good intro like this decides to layer some extra build up on top of it. In 45 seconds, this song goes through three different stages, all pretty good in their own right. Sweet Child O' Mine is also prime cut Guns N' Roses.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
5th
8.7 Points
Steven Snype

Bellbottoms - The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Next level pandering; checking my signature. One of my favorite movies of the year is Baby Driver and this is the song that opened that movie. Half the song is the opening, and it's a pretty good one at that. This is a band worth checking out. Bellbottoms! Bellbottoms! Bellbottoms!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)