LC Doduo [QC 3/3] [ GP 2/2]

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

Kacaw!
Overview
########

Doduo is an underrated and strange bird; it has amazing 19 Attack and 18 Speed stats and Brave Bird, which makes it a solid wallbreaker in Little Cup. However, it has an average ability, no reliable coverage moves at all, and low defenses. In comparison, Fletchling finds it easier to sweep thanks to Gale Wings and Tailow is much more stronger than Doduo (when using Toxic Orb + Guts) and faster. However, Doduo still has some advantages over them. It is quite stronger than Fletchling, it is a tad bulkier than Tailow, and can use the more reliable Life Orb. Access to Knock Off distinguishes Doduo from Tailow and Fletchling, giving it more chances to support the team. It has another great tools like Pursuit and Quick Attack. Overall, though it is walled by several top threats and easily taken out by Pawniard, Doduo should not be underestimated; with the right support, it can be a deadly wallbreaker and revenge killer.

Life Orb Bird
########
name: Life Orb Bird
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Return
ability: Early Bird
item: Life Orb
evs: 236 Atk / 240 Spe
nature: Naive / Jolly
ivs: 19 HP

Moves
========

Brave Bird is an obligatory STAB move that smashes anything which doesn't resist it, especially top threats such as Scraggy, Cottonee, and Mienfoo; even walls that don't resist it are 2HKOed such as Porygon. Knock Off is used for supporting the team; it also 2HKOes standard Slowpoke and has a very high chance to OHKO Eviolite Misdreavus after Stealth Rock. Quick Attack is an important way to revenge kill threats such as Fletchling, Croagunk, and Timburr without fearing their priority moves; after an opposing pokemon switches into Doduo and takes Brave Bird damage, Quick Attack let Doduo KO a target which is faster than it or likely has a Choice Scarf. Hidden Power Fighting is basically for KOing Pawniard, but it also does solid damage to Magnemite. Return is a secondary STAB option for hitting Electric-types such as Chinchou.

Set Details
========
The EV spread is used for always hitting hard and fast. Jolly gives Doduo an above-average Speed tier. Naive is used with Hidden Power Fighting. Early Bird is the best of Doduo's three abilities; it can be useful for waking up early in case Doduo switches into a sleep-inducing move, like Foongus's Spore. Life Orb allows Doduo to act as a wallbreaker.

Usage Tips
========
Avoid switching in Doduo if you aren't sure if it will be into a Ghost- or Ground-type move. Use it late-game when Doduo's counters are already KOed or to revenge kill something weak to Brave Bird; most Pokemon can't easily switch into Doduo's Brave Bird late-game. Volt Switch and U-turn are safe ways to bring Doduo into battle. Spam Knock Off early-game so Doduo's offensive teammates may have an easy time sweeping.

Team Options
========
Chinchou forms a very good core with Doduo; it can safely bring Doduo into battle with Volt Swich. Drilbur is another good partner as it can both set up Stealth Rock and use Rapid Spin. Drilbur KOes Rock- and Steel-types, and Chinchou KOes Rock-types too. Doduo KOes both Drilbur's and Chinchou's counters, especially Grass-types. In general, Doduo can form very good offensive cores with Pokemon weak to Fighting-types, like Pawniard; Pawniard supports Doduo by Knocking Off opposing Eviolites. Finnaly, Doduo forms another good offensive core with Archen. Archen has access to Defog, and they KO each other's counters. Earthquake breaks the Chinchou + Pawniard core which causes a lot of trouble to Doduo.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Return / Double-Edge
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Pursuit / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 236 Atk / 240 Spe
nature: Adamant / Naughty / Jolly

Moves
========
Brave Bird and Knock Off are staples. The former smashes through common threats such as Scraggy and Mienfoo and even 2HKOes a lot of threats that don't resist it such as Misdreavus with its sheer power. Knock Off is a utility option that can OHKO Eviolite Misdreavus (after Stealth Rock) and 2HKO standard Slowpoke. Return is a secondary STAB option for hitting Chinchou, but if recoil isn't an issue, you can use Double-Edge. Pursuit is here for revenge killing key opposing Pokemon so they won't cause you trouble later. Hidden Power Fighting is basically for KOing Pawniard, but it also does solid damage to Magnemite.

Set Details
========
The EV spread is simple as Doduo's main aim is to hit hard and fast. The main nature on this set is Adamant, as Doduo doesn't have Life Orb for power anymore. Naughty should be used with Hidden Power Fighting. Use Jolly for outspeeding Timid Choice Scarf Chinchou, Jolly Choice Scarf Mienfoo, and Speed tying with Choice Scarf Gastly; while they aren't that common, they can be an issue. Early Bird still is the only ability Doduo will run anyway.

Usage Tips
========

Use Pursuit against those threats that the opponent will probably switch out such as Misdreavus, Abra, and Gastly; however, there are many situations pursuit could be use besides trapping Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon. You can always use Pursuit to trap any opposing threat that your opponent doesn't want to lose like spinners, clerics, hazard setters, and so on. Again, exercise caution when switching Doduo in; in this regard, take advantage of Doduo's Ghost and Ground immunities. Doduo should be used for revenge killing specific targets such as Choice Scarf Pawniard and +1 Scraggy or Choice Scarf Scraggy. Volt Switch and U-turn are a good way to bring Doduo into battle. Use it late-game or to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

Chinchou makes a great partner, bringing Doduo into battle and KOing some of its counters such as Tirtouga. Drilbur is good to remove and set up Stealth Rock while dealing with Steel-types. This set is more able to deal with Pawniard than the Life Orb one as right now, the most common Pawniard set is the Choice Scarf one, so Cottonee is another good teammate; it can lock the opposing Pokemon into a Ground- or a Ghost-type move so Doduo can come into battle safely. Cottonee easily KOes Tirtouga, a very common Doduo counter. Doduo can form very good offensive cores with Pokemon weak to Fighting-types like Pawniard; Pawniard supports Doduo by Knocking Off opposing Eviolites. Finally, Archen can remove Stealth Rock and break the core of Chinchou + Pawniard.

Other Options
########

A set with the only Attack-boosting move Doduo learns, Work Up, can be used with Hidden Power. However, Doduo's frailty makes it very hard to set up. A Focus Sash set with Flail (or Endeavor) + Quick Attack also work but usually will work only once, and needs a lot of support from your team. Drill Peck can be used when you want to avoid recoil. Double Hit breaks Substitute, Focus Sash, and Sturdy but it is much weaker than Double-Edge or Return. Roost can be used on the Life Orb set for recovering recoil or Stealth Rock damage. Steel Wing is a guaranteed 2HKO on defensive Archen with Life Orb.

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types**: Doduo can't do anything to Steel-types; they are all bulky, resist its STAB moves, and can even set up in Doduo. Pawniard easily KOes Doduo with some prediction.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types resist both of Doduo's STAB moves and have a STAB super effective move to KO Doduo with. A very dangerous counter is Tirtouga, which can easily set up Shell Smash/Stealth Rock while walling Doduo.

**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus can check Doduo with Thunderbolt or just burn it. However, it is 2HKOed by Knock Off.

**Electric-types**: Most Electric-types are too frail to act as a counter to Doduo, but they can still check it easily with their STAB moves.

**Strong Physical Walls**: Physical walls can sponge anything Doduo throws at them, especially if they have recovering moves. For instance, Hippopotas KOes it with Rock Slide or just stall with Slack Off untill recoil KOes Doduo.

Thanks for reading it :)​

Last edited:
uh you don't need stuff in paragraphs, just keep it in bullet points for now (keep your sentences) to separate each point and make it easier for QC to approach

LO Bird
########
name: LO Bird
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Return
item: life orb
evs: 236 Atk / 236 Speed
nature: Naive / Jolly
IV: 19 hp

This is the set I use..........HP Fighting is important for me because I want to break Pawniard but Return can be used for Chinchou.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I wouldn't quite say Early Bird is awful; switching into random sleep moves can still be beneficial at times.
As Heysup's set implies, I feel as if Knock Off is more important than Return on the Life Orb set especially; the ability to permanently cripple a Pokemon is probably more useful than a move that doesn't actually hit anything super-effectively and only hits electric-types for more damage compared to Brave Bird. You'll probably want to make the speed EVs 240 to account for HP Fighting.
I think Jolly deserves a slash in the scarf set, even if it's only secondary; the ability outpace Timid Choice Scarf Chinchou, Jolly Choice Scarf Mienfoo and +2 Modest Omanyte while speed tying with Timid Scarf Gastly could all prove to be useful.
I'm not sure if Pursuit is all that necessary since things weak to it (eg Misdreavus/Abra) are more likely to just stay in and status/attack Doduo, but I guess there aren't a ton of other options. HP Fighting OHKOs Scarf Pawniard after Stealth Rock and 2HKOs Eviolite Pawniard regardless of hazards, so it might be worthy of mention. Drill Peck might also be useful if both Brave Bird and Double-Edge are run in a situation where Doduo doesn't want the recoil.

You just want to make sure your sets are formatted properly. Like make sure it's spacing is correct and slashed properly. As for the sets, yea QC 1/3.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can we not have abbreviations in the title? Life Orb Bird > LO bird thanks

I don't think doduo has time for Roost. HP fight and return are so much more useful, i'd remove that.

knock off should be spammed early game a lot for usage tips

archen in team options: can clear hazards for doduo, and they can both weaken each others cuonters. Archen can even use EQ to wreck chinchou+pawniard.

scarf set details: you said we use adamant, but +spe nature is slashed... personally Adamant or another +atk nature for HP fight is better since nothing important really hits the 25 speed benchmark. (unless you can think of anything)

usage tips: talk about the sort of things it can revenge. scarf pawniard (with hp fight), +1 scraggy are the main ones.

team options, mention archen again

move roost to other options, take it off the first set.

2/3

uh there's still spacing issues. there should be 2 lines between sections (sections are overview, each set, OO, an C&C) and one between subsections. in C&C there should be a line between each grouping, and just make sure your sets have spaces betweens slashes and words and colons and stuff. also get rid of the slashed text, it's simply unprofessional

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To add to what Kavatika said, make sure your capitalizations are correct in the set. Quick Attack > Quick attack for example

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
As for the jolly nature in scarf set, corp posted about three threats that jolly scarf doduo outspeeds: timid choice scarf chinchou, jolly choice scarf mienfoo, +2 modest omanyte and speed tie with scarf gastly. I know these ones aren't that common, but they all can kill doduo. If you think they are relevant, please tell me.

Rowan

The professor?
0 SpA Doduo Hidden Power Fighting vs. -1 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 10-12 (47.6 - 57.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO

pretty sure timid chou and jolly foo are basically non existant with scarf.

gastly yeah okay. I don't mind it being slashed, just mention what it does actually outspeed.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Also, scarf pawn needs prior damage to be killed. It can be stealth rock, but if doduo already took stealth rock damage, sucker punch will kill it. So, I don't think doduo is the best revenge killer for pawniard, unless you are pretty sure it's a scarf.

You need spaces before and after every slash and you need slashes between evs (so it looks like '236 Atk / 240 Spe). Make sure everything is capitalized properly, like "double-edge" should be "Double-Edge" and "life orb" should be "Life Orb". There should be spaces after every colon (that thing thats two dots on top of eachother). You still need empty lines between every group in checks and counters

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Max Carvalho, before I or any other GP/amchecker checks this, I'd like to address a few concerns:

First and foremost, in LC C&C, you need to have a QC member look over the analysis after you have written it and get them to stamp it again (it could be a QC member who has already stamped the analysis before :o), so you're not quite ready for GP yet :P

Secondly, in its current state, the analysis has very little content in it. While there might not be much to say about Doduo, you cannot have the Overview be just two lines long. You need to mention some of its other traits, like stats, and how it faces competition from Pokemon like Fletchling and even Swellow. You can even mention what the transition to XY has done for Doduo (introduced more competition). This isn't just for the Overview either, you need to add more content to all of your sections, as right now, they're all bare-bones. In Moves, you can mention the specific threat each move hits, or how the moves help distinguish Doduo from its competition. Overall, you need to add much more meat to your content.

Lastly, the analysis is riddled with common spelling and grammar mistakes. I recommend reading through the Spelling and Grammar Standards and fixing your analysis accordingly. For example, all moves, Pokemon names, and abilities should be capitalized (Knock Off > knock off, Doduo > doduo, etc.). You also need to fix the spelling of some words (moves > mooves, Fighting > Fighthing, etc.), so just proofread your analysis before handing it back to GP.

Because this is your first analysis, I can understand that some of this stuff might have overwhelmed you. That's okay however, as everyone makes mistakes, especially on their first try at things. So, don't get discouraged and keep going, as I know that you'll get better overtime. Just follow the advice given above, fix everything accordingly, get a QC member to look it through, and then feel free to tag me, or any other GP checker, to get your analysis GP checked.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or a C&C mod for help. You can even join #grammar on IRC to talk to any GPers that are on (all users with a star next to their name), and they'll be able to answer any questions you may have :)

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Ok bro thanks. I will add content check the spelling mistakes again and ask for a QC member check it. Sorry for the stupid mistakes they won't repeat next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)