Donphan (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaaas, Donphan.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

[Overview]
Donphan, a stall favourite since g/s/c, remains popular as a bulky rapid spinner. However, in the hugely powerful metagame of Black and White, Donphan just can't stand up to as many threats as it used to. Nevertheless, Donphan remains a solid choice for any team in need of a offensive, physical rapid spinner, that can come in and out of play, and dish out a hit or two. A little know fact is that Donphan is physically bulkier than Skarmory, and while it lacks the key resistances that Skarmory thrives on, it can provide some sort of offensive threat to your opponent. In summary, Donphan is useful for offensive teams that need 'glue' to keep them together, while needing to maintain some sort of offensive momentum.

[Set]
Name:Rapid Spinner
Move 1:Rapid Spin
Move 2:Earthquake
Move 3:Stealth Rock/Rest
Move 4:Ice Shard/ Stone Edge
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
Evs:252hp /252defence/ 4spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Donphan makes a great rapid spinner due to it's great physical bulk and powerful earthquake. With no investment in attack, and a neutral nature,
Donphan still hits 276 attack, enough to discourage most set-up sweepers from switching it. Donphan also makes a good Stealth Rock lead with it's bulk,
but Rest allows Donphan to consistantly come into play. Ice shard can take down weakened sweepers, although it's base power is otherwise unappealing.
Stone Edge provides a more powerful alternative, but it's mediocre accuracy is a letdown. Counter can be used on this set, as it is a massive surprise to any opponent trying to take down Donphan with boosted physical attacks.</p>

<p>Donphan also enjoys the buff to Sturdy, which allows it a 'reusable' focus sash, allowing it to be a last resort to check to threats such as Shadow-Tag Shandera (if at full health). Also, it should be noted that Donphan takes 32.8% - 38.5% from Jolly Scarfchomp's Outrage. A high chance for a 3 hit KO with leftovers. Also, it should be noted that Donphan is physically bulkier than Skarmory, though it lacks the useful resistances that Skarmory enjoys.</p>

<p>Alternatively, a 252hp/ 252 atk/4 spe adamant spread can be used, allowing Donphan to maim any incoming pokemon with a powerful Earthquake coming off 372 attack. However, due to the extremely powerful physical attackers of Gen. V, Donphan needs all the physical bulk it can get.</p>

[Set]
Name: Choice Band
Move 1:Earthquake
Move 2:Ice Shard
Move 3:Assurance/Rapid Spin
Move 4:Stone Edge
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy/Sand Veil
Nature: Adamant
Evs:252hp / 252atk/ 4special defence

[Set Comments]
<p> Donphan's fantastic base 120 attack is often overlooked. With powerful Stone Edges and STAB'd Earthquakes coming of 558 attack, almost nothing can switch in safely. Ice Shard's little base power means nothing when used with a choice band, and is a must on this set. Assurance provides a reliable way of hurting Gengar, if Stone Edge isn't your cup of tea. </p>

<p> Sturdy and Sand Veil are both good choices for abilities. Sturdy allows you to get off at least one hit before going down (although not many things will comfortably 1hitKO Donphan), whereas Sand Veil allows for some atrocious haxing, worthy of a 'teehee' or two. There is almost no point in running max speed Jolly, as Donphan won't be outspeeding much with it's pitiful base 50 speed. By shifting 80 evs from Hp to Speed, you can outspeed minimum speed base 60s, such as Clefable or Weezing. But they're so uncommon, the added bulk is worth far more.</p>

<p>Head Smash is an option, due to the insane base power. However, the recoil damage is huge and plays against Donphan in the long run. Donphan should be played as a bulky sweeper, and while Head Smash does a tonne of damage, the recoil is not usually worth it. Seed Bomb can be used to destroy Swampert and Quagsire, and do a fair chunk to other Bulky Waters. However, a neutral earthquake is only slightly weaker than a two-times super effective Seed bomb.</p>

[Set]
FEARPHAN
Move 1:Endevour
Move 2:Toxic
Move 3:Rapid Spin
Move 4:Protect
Item: Shell bell
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 atk

<p> At level 5, Donphan reaches a staggeringly high HP stat of 24. After surviving a hit (thanks to sturdy), Donphan can proceed to maim the foe with Endevour, taking the foe down to 1 hp, while bringing Donphan back up to full. The foe can then be finished off with status, or weather. </p>

<p> There's no point in evs other than attack, because Donphan isn't going to be tanking. </p>

<p> Stellar prediction is required with this set. Any status afflictions will destroy Donphan, as it requires full health in order for sturdy to activate, which is why a cleric is needed. </p>

It seems to me that the listing of the moves on the "Eletank" set is overly convoluted. Wouldn't

Move 1:Earthquake
Move 2:Ice Shard
Move 3:Assurance/Rapid Spin
Move 4:Stone Edge

be essentially the same thing?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Level 5 Donphan is possible via the Pomeg Glitch in Emerald, so the level is fine, the problem is Ice Shard was not introduced until 4th gen, so that move cannot be used on the set. So, either make it a level 25 Donphan to keep Ice Shard or keep it level 5 and remove Ice Shard. Although, whether Pomeg Glitch would be allowed outside of LC to permit the use of Level 5 evolved Pokemon is something I'm not entirely sure of.

One thing that might be worth mentioning (in the overview i guess) is that Donphan is a great choice for a rapid spinmner in Drought teams (it seems to be his biggest niche atm aside from imosomewhat gimmicky endeavor set). These teams need spinner badly since fire types are weak to stealth rock, and most popular spinners (Doryuzuu, Starmie, Tentacruel) perform poorly in the sun. Donphan makes great switch-in to Tyranitar and Hippowdon, can also set up Stealth Rock for Drought teams and sun removes his water weakness.

Huh, I've never actually seen a FEAR set on a Smogon Pokemon page. It's possible I never saw one because I've never been to a page containing one by chance, but still... FEAR is incredibly gimmicky, isn't it? I mean, it takes out one Pokemon and then you lose yours, in all likelihood. It's dismantled by any other priority move.

Not to mention... I never thought it was considered a legitimate strategy, just some troll silliness. (Although that Endeavor/Sturdy/Shell Bell Aron is kinda hilarious if the opponent has no priority.)

Anyway. Aside from that, I wanted the point out the contradiction in stating "Donphan can't stand up to as many threats as it used to." and "Donphan remains a solid choice for any team that needs a Rapid Spinner."

Would not Head Smash be a better option than Stone Edge? I think that the recoil damage is worth the 50 base power difference.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Would not Head Smash be a better option than Stone Edge? I think that the recoil damage is worth the 50 base power difference.
you'd be potentially breaking your built in 'focus sash', but maybe it deserves a slash

Regarding the Endeavor set, I would suggest making it Level 5. Even at Level 25, Donphan will do pitiful damage with Ice Shard, even with max Attack and an Adamant nature it will do at most 6 HP damage on a neutral hit.

Mention the fact that the Endeavor set works best only in Sandstorm, or otherwise you will a lot of priority from team mates to finish off the weakened Pokemon. You should definitely expand your Overview more.

a lead set i really likeing right now:

Donphan @ Mental Herb/Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EV's: 252A/252SP/4HP
Moves:
~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake/Rapid Spin
~Ice Shard
~Eneavor

really only fake-out leads can stop this guy from doing his job, which is to get the Rocks up, or kill their Politoed/Ninetails I haven't used Rapid spin on this set, so i don't know how good it is, but it might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)