Double Battle Tourney - Showdown Rules Style!

What Tier should the double battles be in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olimarman - two possible ways.

I'm going away, too a friends house for 7th / 8th, so most likely the 9th it will be starting.

i am only leaving at 1pm on the 7th though, so there is a chance the last 9 spots will be filled by then and we can start anyway.

I have a question: How will you check to make sure nobody is using "Legal Hack" Pokemon?
Kenshin - LOL obvious removal of participation for asking something like this? IMO this is trying to mask the question: Will I get caught?

Kenshin - LOL obvious removal of participation for asking something like this? IMO this is trying to mask the question: Will I get caught?
he won't. but he'll know that hes a cheater that takes the easy way through things and that he is living a lie. most people don't want to live with that.

We should be allowed to look at our opponents team after the match to look for silly hacker mistakes
If we are, then hackers will spend too much time making sure they didn't make their silly mistakes and will have no time to prepare and lose anyways -_- I win

We should be allowed to look at our opponents team after the match to look for silly hacker mistakes
If we are, then hackers will spend too much time making sure they didn't make their silly mistakes and will have no time to prepare and lose anyways -_- I win
yes i totally agree with this more WIFI tournaments should have to do this

I second this motion.

Though I agree with having hackers be rooted out of every tournament, I disagree with having the teams be looked at afterwards. If I have a strategy that is surprinsing and yet effective, and I am winning with it, I don't want everybody I beat with it to find out intricate details of my team, every nuance, every little detail. There is an element of secrecy that every team should have, like EV spreads and full movesets. Some things will be obvious during a battle, like a certain ability or a partial moveset. But my opponent should not have the privilege of seeing my team in full detail after I beat him; even moreso since it is double elimination as opposed to single elimination.

Though I agree with having hackers be rooted out of every tournament, I disagree with having the teams be looked at afterwards. If I have a strategy that is surprinsing and yet effective, and I am winning with it, I don't want everybody I beat with it to find out intricate details of my team, every nuance, every little detail. There is an element of secrecy that every team should have, like EV spreads and full movesets. Some things will be obvious during a battle, like a certain ability or a partial moveset. But my opponent should not have the privilege of seeing my team in full detail after I beat him; even moreso since it is double elimination as opposed to single elimination.
One reason why the Americans were eliminated early in Orlando was because we weren't as prepared and practiced as the japanese players were. THis is because we are to concerned with keeping our things secret. If we want to do better we need to share our ideas and learn to to beat whatever comes in our way. If you ask most of the Japanese players, they will say they battle often and discuss their teams in full detail with each other to learn their weakenss etc.

Double elimination wasnt at the showdown... why use that here? Isnt this tourney supposed to simulate the showdown in a way?

Well,
1. your not allowed to talk about peoples teams
2. you won't face the same person twice.

1 = If we are relying on the honor system to prevent people talking about others teams via PM, you might as well rely on the honor system on having legitimate pokes from the start and avoid the whole thing in the first place.

2 = If it's double elimination, there is a chance I could meet them again. I have done it before in Brawl tournaments. Because I can beat someone, they fall into the loser's bracket, then they make there way back up and eventually face me in the winner's bracket, assuming I keep winning and they don't lose again.

One reason why the Americans were eliminated early in Orlando was because we weren't as prepared and practiced as the japanese players were. This is because we are to concerned with keeping our things secret. If we want to do better we need to share our ideas and learn to to beat whatever comes in our way. If you ask most of the Japanese players, they will say they battle often and discuss their teams in full detail with each other to learn their weakenss etc.

The Japanese are better at doubles as a whole than we are because they have had more practice. That is it; really nothing else has affected that. They have had these tournaments since 2004 IIRC, and every time it has been double battles. They have simply had more time to become used to the double battling format, while the general 'population' of competitive battlers here have been less than receptive to double battles. This 'liking'(for a better term) of double battles is not because they "discuss their teams in full detail with each other to learn their weaknesses ". Keeping a secret does not at all mean you aren't prepared. It's because they are more seasoned into doubles than most of the Americans were. they have simply had more time to play doubles in official tournaments than we have.

I met several Japanese players in Orlando. I battled most of them in a double battle. I even asked to see some of their teams because they were really good, and they said no. I respected that decision. Now, it might have been just because I was an American, but I really doubt it. It was because, even when Showdown was already over and the awards were in an hour or so, they did not want someone else seeing their full team. The Japanese have their fair share of forums and such, yes, just like we do here in the USA/Canada; but that doesn't mean that they just share their teams with whoever they want from their country. They keep some things secret, as should we all. Not everybody makes a team without running it past a few people to see if it wold work. Only stupid people make a serious doubles team without talking about it with a couple people(lol no offense if that is someone here). But that is generally with someone they trust won't tell someone else in full detail the team. With this proposed so-called checking, it's seen by more than one person if the team keeps winning and moving up the ranks, and the team could potentially start to get around. That is what I disagree with, in case it's not clear.

Now, I offer a different solution. =) Instead of having our opponents look at our teams for checking, can't we have a third party do the checking instead, if at worst, via the same method? That way, some team elements still remain secret from our future competitors, while there is still the "hack "checking occuring. I think there are much better options than having my opponent look at my team to see if it's hacked.

I agree with PBB. we all know that we're not going to care if our opponents did use hacks in the event we win. so if anyone feels the need to look at his/her opponent's team, I think it should be done after the tournament is done, if at all.

I don't really care about this matter to the utmost degree.

And PBB, you won't fight the same person again, i guarentee it.

Dont you sometimes play the same person in the double elimination style brackets? I.E. You get knocked out by player "Bob" in the first round, You go all the way to losers finals, Bob has made it to winners finals and you win losers finals, you are now playing bob again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)