Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

Ok so i went on the smog dubs ladder and used my mega camerupt team with no problems. Yet when i use my mega altaria team, it says altarite is an invalid item.

Explain pls?

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
What are some relatively bulky Pokemon that exceed in removing ghost-types?
Hydreigon is probably the best at it. TTar is another option but it's susceptible to Mega Gengar's burns and gets its Attack lowered by Aegislash's King's Shield if you mispredict with Crunch (special TTar is always an option tho).

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah your best bet overall for all ghost types is probably a special TTar as it's bulky enough to take on basically any hit and Dark Pulse won't mind burns.

Another good one is Guts Conkeldurr with Knock Off. Heatran tends to match up pretty well with most ghosts too, though it will lose to Jellicent.

Is there a special reason why the Sceptile analysis suggest Protect over Detect? We are not quite sure how long a Doubles match will drag on but we doubt you are going to use the PP up, Pressure notwithstanding.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is there a special reason why the Sceptile analysis suggest Protect over Detect? We are not quite sure how long a Doubles match will drag on but we doubt you are going to use the PP up, Pressure notwithstanding.
there isn't really a reason for it, but i haven't seen anyone use imprison the past 8-10 months. I doubt it's still considered relevant :)

scenario: togekiss uses follow me alongside a mega sceptile. opponent uses thunderbolt. who gets hit? what about with togekiss and lrod rhydon, i.e. is this determined by speed?

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
scenario: togekiss uses follow me alongside a mega sceptile. opponent uses thunderbolt. who gets hit? what about with togekiss and lrod rhydon, i.e. is this determined by speed?
I heard someone mention that Follow Me actually overrides Lightningrod.

I just tested it, and yep, Follow Me overrides Lightningrod.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to get into doubles. I think I've gotten a decent handle on teambuilding, but I'm still pretty meh when it comes to actual play. What are some good ways that I can get better at doubles? For the more experienced users, how did you guys start playing doubles well?

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to get into doubles. I think I've gotten a decent handle on teambuilding, but I'm still pretty meh when it comes to actual play. What are some good ways that I can get better at doubles? For the more experienced users, how did you guys start playing doubles well?
You can read the overview to get a general idea of the metagame, and you can also look at the Viability Rankings to see what mons work in the Doubles metagame. I suggest stealing a team from an experienced player and just keep on practicing on the ladder. Also you can watch replays to see how experienced players play it out. Good luck n_n

I read on the viability thread that Clefable is a terrible Pokemon to use (E rank). Is there a reason for it other than being "outclassed" by Togekiss?

All I notice is lower base stats, but it's not weak to Rock Slide or Discharge.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
It requires several turns of set up to become dangerous, and usually dies too quickly.
i assume Lediator was talking about the follow me set though

basically clefable is just bad stats and pretty outclassed by kiss. not having flying type's weaknesses is nice but it also doesnt get the nifty air slash flinch chance or tailwind

Hey guys, relatively new doubles player here who's interested in getting into the tier. Just a few questions...

1. How good is "priority spam" in doubles? For instance, in singles (pls excuse the singles parallels) you can run stuff like CBNite, Mega Scizor, and other priority users on the same team to break down offensive teams quickly. With some strong priority residing in the tier (Deoxys-A, Mega Mawile, and Dragonite, to name a few) would this "priority spam" be a good method to break offensive oriented teams and be a general safety net?

2. What is the value of momentum in Doubles? When referring to momentum, I mean Volt Turn. In singles (again, excuse the parallel), Volt Turn teams are a pretty prominent archetype. How are they in Doubles?

3. What is the value of entry hazards in doubles?

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Hey guys, relatively new doubles player here who's interested in getting into the tier. Just a few questions...

1. How good is "priority spam" in doubles? For instance, in singles (pls excuse the singles parallels) you can run stuff like CBNite, Mega Scizor, and other priority users on the same team to break down offensive teams quickly. With some strong priority residing in the tier (Deoxys-A, Mega Mawile, and Dragonite, to name a few) would this "priority spam" be a good method to break offensive oriented teams and be a general safety net?

2. What is the value of momentum in Doubles? When referring to momentum, I mean Volt Turn. In singles (again, excuse the parallel), Volt Turn teams are a pretty prominent archetype. How are they in Doubles?

3. What is the value of entry hazards in doubles?

1. as in singles, priority is useful in doubles. you can pick off a weakened opponent, preventing them from attacking and possibly allow your partner to dodge an otherwise harmful attack. priority spam as a team seems meh to me but feel free to give it a shot.

2. value of momentum is the same i guess, but the usage of volt switch is non existent and u-turn is only used on scarfers such as landorus-t and genesect. i find that using a slow volt turner kind of sucks because i don't want my rotom-w / scizor taking a hit (possibly two!) that another teammate could take better. fast u-turn is great because it allows you to get the hell out (especially good on lando-t, allowing it to preserve intimidate).

3. rocks are mainly used to weaken charizard-y and talonflame. other than that, they aren't very common at all in doubles due to the lesser amount of turns in each game.

Why is base form Kyurem only C rabk or so? If Icy Wind is realy good in Doubles, it seems like the strictly-better Glaciate (which unfortunately only the base form can use) with STAB coming off 130 base special attack should make it somewhat useful. Is the ice typing really that much of a liability?

qsns

VGCPL Champion
Why is base form Kyurem only C rabk or so? If Icy Wind is realy good in Doubles, it seems like the strictly-better Glaciate (which unfortunately only the base form can use) with STAB coming off 130 base special attack should make it somewhat useful. Is the ice typing really that much of a liability?
it's usually outclassed by kyurem-b, even with a special set, thanks to teravolt negating abilities such as thick fat on mvenu and levitate on rotom. glaciate is definitely a niche that it has but it's not that much more powerful than icy wind anyways.

In short, yes. Defensively, it's killed by a lot of common threats due to its weaknesses, and offensively it is completely outclassed by Kyurem-B. If you want to run a supportive mon with glaciate, use Victini. Yes, it gets glaciate through event. Victini has better bulk and a better supportive move pool.
Edit: ninja-ed

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's not a bad move; however, due to the general quality of the Pokemon that learn it and the popularity of redirection, it's best to leave it out of most teams.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Is Heal Pulse a somewhat usable move in Doubles, or is it just complete crap?
it can probably find niche uses but usually it runs into some problems. in general 50% healing doesnt tend to be worth a turn, its kind of unreliable since you dont get to put the healing on the pokemon that tends to need it and its a bad use of a moveslot a lot of the time.

edit: yeah arctic is right too, i won an spl match by redirecting my opponent's heal pulse LOL nice blingas

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heal Pulse has niche uses yeah, most notably being like Aromatisse healing Mega Blastoise on Trick Room so that it can spam Water Spout. Gothitelle can use it too in the infamous GothMaw pairing. Other than that, not worth it.

Also Clawitzer can use a funny Heal Pulse that restores 75% HP because of Mega Launcher if you want to troll :0

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do you guys plan to do another suspect test in the foreseeable future? If so, who will the suspect(s) be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)