Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

Is there any good alternative to Serperior or Cresselia for screens? Also, do the screens work the turn they were set up if they were the first move used?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is there any good alternative to Serperior or Cresselia for screens? Also, do the screens work the turn they were set up if they were the first move used?
dunno why you'd mention Serperior, but Klefki gets priority Reflect and Light Screen and has a stellar defensive typing, which makes it pretty notable. And yes, they work as soon as they are set up.

As mentioned above, Klefki gets Prankster screens and a number of other useful techniques (Thunder Wave, Swagger, Safeguard, Foul Play, Dazzling Gleam, etc.). Male Meowstic gets Prankster screens as well, and also has access to Safeguard, Swagger, Fake Out, Trick Room, Quick Guard and Yawn. Both very good support Pokemon. Pick whichever better suits your team.

Cresselia gets that speed control with Icy Wind and recovery moves, but the former (a pretty big reason to use it) is only available as a Gen V tutor move right now. Just a note depending on how much you care about in-game access while teambuilding.

Last edited:
Does sky uppercut still do double damage to targets that are flying, picked up by sky drop, or bounced? Some of the sites I've found say it does, and then some don't mention it.

Small question about Diamond Storm. Is it able to raise Defense 2 stages in Doubles with only 1 attack? It's the first spread move that actually has a chance at buffing the user and in Showdown, it kind of did that, but I'm skeptical as Diamond Storm is a new attack that has a combined mechanic that hasn't been introduced until now. Someone might want to test this in-game in a horde encounter or the battle tower.

Small question about Diamond Storm. Is it able to raise Defense 2 stages in Doubles with only 1 attack? It's the first spread move that actually has a chance at buffing the user and in Showdown, it kind of did that, but I'm skeptical as Diamond Storm is a new attack that has a combined mechanic that hasn't been introduced until now. Someone might want to test this in-game in a horde encounter or the battle tower.
It probably can, since Heat Wave can burn 2 times, and Power-Up-Punch on Mega Kangaskhan hits 2 times and boosts attack 2 stages, usually it boosts 1.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can't link it right now, but in the Battle Mechanics thread it was confirmed that Diamond Storm can indeed boost twice.

Which pokemon could preform in inflicting status problems other than ammongus? I'm thinking venusaur may be better but idk(given that amoongus has effect spore). I would have togekiss use follow me to make time for status problems but i'm not sure which pokemon can fit the role best.

Dzięki.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
thundurus is probably the best spreader of paralysis, though togekiss works too; rotom-w, talonflame, and almost any ghost type are good burn inflictors; amoonguss, breloom, and venusaur can all use sleep effectively. They all have very different team roles of course so check their analyses to see which will work for your team. I can't really give more help without more information, but using follow me just to support a status spreader seems like a weak strategy, you'll want to be dealing more damage a turn than that usually.

Hypothetical situation:
I'm using Breloom and Samurott, and what my opponent is using is irrelevant.
Breloom uses Spore on one of my opponents pokemon. Samurott then uses copycat. Who does Samurott target?

this isn't really the research thread, mechanics questions are better off directed there

that being said, why are u using copycat samurott lol
I'm not, but Samurott has the same base speed as Breloom, and spore was the first potential implication I could think of for such a combo. The other potential use would be to use a move which is powerful and a pokemon wishes it had access to, and then copycat it. But that depends on who it would target...

I'm new to doubles, and I'm not asking this to be a pest or to make judgement about what should or should not be banned. I'm just genuinely curious, why is Mega-Kangaskhan not banned in doubles? In OU singles, it was ridiculously broken and centralizing. Is there something about the doubles environment that makes Kangaskhan more manageable than it is in singles? And if so what?

Again, not making judgments, just curious.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
it doesn't have any spread moves, and it really doesn't have the room for Protect. those are the big two, though there's a lot of smaller things that also contribute but you kind of need doubles experience to understand the way it works out

is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to building hyper offense? What pokemon do I need to check when building hyper offense? Are there any pokemon that are good in hyper offense?

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to building hyper offense? What pokemon do I need to check when building hyper offense? Are there any pokemon that are good in hyper offense?
the idea behind hyper offense (HO) is that each pokemon covers each others weaknesses offensively. by this i mean, one pokemon takes out another pokemon's walls/checks.
for example, the HO core keldeo+shaymin-sky. keldeo has trouble breaking through opposing grass pokemon. skymin uses air slash to kill them and thus covers keldeo's weakness to it. vice versa, skymin has trouble with ice types, which keldeo breaks through to protect skymin.
so when building your HO team, you build it usually around 1 or 2 pokemon and you make the team able to break the opposing checks. that whole "break opposing checks" is the key idea you have to keep in your head because that is the point of hyper offense (as opposed to using bulky wall pokemon in balanced style teams).
as for pokemon you need to check/beat: mega kanga, choice scarf landorus-t, bulky rotom-wash, charizard-y, ferrothorn, mega mawile, ludicolo.
good pokemon in HO: keldeo, shaymin-sky, deoxys-attack, talonflame, kanga, bisharp, landorus-t

I've been having trouble using M-Gengar lately. I thought of using it as fast support and as a glass canon (it works pretty nicely with Darkrai btw), but both times I have been disappointed. Is there anything other than Perish trapper that kinda works?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I've been having trouble using M-Gengar lately. I thought of using it as fast support and as a glass canon (it works pretty nicely with Darkrai btw), but both times I have been disappointed. Is there anything other than Perish trapper that kinda works?
mega gengar is used mainly as a perish trapper / an offensive trapper, and nothing much else. otherwise you'd just use a generally stronger special attacker (in terms of coverage at least!)

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
omgs megagar+darkrai is superrr sexy, im glad someone else found it too
like 51 said, try using simply another strong special attacker. pokemon include: deo-a, char-y, thundurus, thundurus-t, keldeo, skymin, aegislash.
although i personally do not like perish trapping that much, i do like trapping very much and if you want you can try out gothitelle and wobbgod. those two are effective trappers!

I've actually seen only one trapping team archetype so far (charm, TWave, blablabla) that used Smeargle to Geomance a lot and then baton pass to someone with stored power. But apart from that I'm not sure on how to use trapping very well. So what's the use of trapping? (This was a provocative question on purpous)

It's actually hard for Gengar to hold on that trap because he's very fragile, and even though wow can hold physical attackers at bay, there isn't much of anything it can do against special sweepers. So it's pretty hard to use...

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You trap to remove opposing mons the rest of your team doesn't like. For example, Gengar is very good at trapping and removing Hitmontop, which is troublesome for a lot of physical attackers you might have on your team. It can also trap and remove things like Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Latios, which is handy too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)