DP Kricketune

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just another edit.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/kricketune

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Endure / Sing / Aerial Ace
item: Salac Berry / Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Kricketune’s most impressive stat is Attack, and at base 85 it’s average at best. But with Swords Dance we can double its 295 (269) attack to 590 (538) which makes it look a lot better. The low Speed isn’t as much of an issue if you can manage to activate Salac Berry, though if you’re willing to take a risk of Kricketune being out-sped, you can use Life Orb for even more damage.</p>

<p>The strategy is to attempt to Swords Dance on something you know can’t OHKO you, and something that is unlikely to hinder you with a status attack such as Will-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave. Once you’ve managed a Swords Dance, you can use Endure to take a hit from a potentially faster foe to activate your Salac Berry and also your Swarm ability, allowing you to have a good chance at sweeping, provided your opponent doesn’t have any priority moves or a faster Choice Scarf user.</p>

<p>X-Scissor is your main attack; with STAB and Swarm activated it can be incredibly strong. Brick Break will help combat Steel-types, as well as hitting Fire-types harder. Aerial Ace is mainly filler, but it does provide greater coverage over Fighting and Poison-types, as well as Pokemon that are both Bug and Flying-type. Sing is listed as a means of ridding of a counter to Kricketune and allowing for a free Swords Dance.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: X-Scissor
move 2: Brick Break
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Return / Sing / Perish Song
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Kricketune can just about pull off a Choice set as well, with four usable attacking moves in X-Scissor, Brick Break, Aerial Ace and Return. Return is a welcome addition as it allows you to hit Poison and Flying-types harder than your other moves. The Choice Band will give you a good Attack stat, but it’s not really as beneficial as the Choice Scarf as there are better physical Choice Band users with greater coverage out there. However, the Choice Scarf with Sing is good for a fast Sleep move in the lower tiers which can help eliminate big threats. A fast Perish Song is also a great addition to any team as it will allow you to take down any last Pokemon whom can still threaten to stat up and defeat the rest of your team.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Screech can work in a similar fashion to Swords Dance, but it’s generally best to have the stat boosts yourself rather than rely on lowering your opponent’s stats. Toxic can work to infect bulkier Pokemon you may not be able to defeat. As already mentioned, Perish Song can help beat a troublesome last Pokémon or counter Baton Pass teams.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Kricketune generally just wants max Attack and Speed in order to enhance sweeping, using an Adamant or Jolly nature. Adamant nature is preferred since Kricketune needs all the power it can get, and after a Speed boost there isn’t much that will be quicker anyway. Jolly is only really useful in the off chance that something already slower than Adamant Kricketune is using a Choice Scarf.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Many will say that Kricketune is basically an inferior Beedrill, and for the most part this is true. However, Kricketune has a slight edge in Attack, as well as coming out on top in HP and Defense. Being only Bug-type, Kricketune should be able to shrug off a weak Earthquake or two, where as Beedrill wouldn’t. The only other bonuses Kricketune has are Sing and Perish Song, which can be very useful in the right circumstances. But in the end, Kricketune is quite a poor Pokémon.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Fearow and Pidgeot are good counters, as they resist X-Scissor, are faster and can KO with STAB Flying-type attacks. Altaria is another nice counter, and with Natural Cure your Sleep status won’t last as long as they can switch out, providing Sing actually hits. Torkoal has a tremendous Defense stat and resists Bug; it’ll find Kricketune easy to dispose of with STAB Fire-type moves. Seviper and Arbok resist Kricketune’s best attacks and will be able to take down Kricketune with relative ease. Swalot is another Poison-type that can resist Kricketune's attacks, as well as having a huge HP stat. Pelipper has high Defense, resists X-Scissor, Brick Break and will KO with STAB Air Slash. You’ll usually be able to stop Kricketune if you’re not weak to any of its attacks, as it only takes rather average defensive, or offensive stats to defeat it.</p>

Kricketune’s most impressive stat is Attack, and at base of 85, it’s average at best.
Once you’ve managed a Swords Dance, you can use Endure to take a hit from a potentially faster foe to activate your Salac Berry and also your Swarm ability, allowing you to have a good chance at sweeping, provided your opponent doesn’t have any priority moves or a Choice Scarf users.
Kricketune can just about pull off a Choice set as well,

Nice job, Havak. Another good peer edit :)

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, I'm not sure about the Provided vs Providing thing, I'd like another opinion on that. I don't think it needs "base of 85" either, but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think the "a" in the "doesn’t have any priority moves or a Choice Scarf users" bit needs to be there.

Other than that, thanks for the catches :)

Ah, you caught my mistakes as well. On Choice Scarf users, it should be Choice Scarf user. It makes more sense that way, and has a bit better wording. I know you're from England, but in the English in the USA, and in formal English, providing sounds a tad awkward, thus why I stated provided in its place, and it works with provided as well.

<p>Fearow and Pidgeot are good counters, as they resist X-Scissor, are faster and can KO with STAB Flying-type attacks. Altaria is another nice counter, and with Natural Cure your Sleep status won’t last as long as they can switch out, providing Sing actually hits. Torkoal has a tremendous Defense stat and resists Bug; it’ll find Kricketune easy to dispose of with STAB Fire-type moves. Seviper and Arbok resist Kricketune’s best attacks and will be able to take down Kricketune with relative ease. Pelipper has high Defense, resists X-Scissor, Brick Break and will KO with STAB Air Slash. You’ll usually be able to stop Kricketune if you’re not weak to any of its attacks, as it only takes rather average defensive, or offensive stats to defeat it.</p>
Kricketune might not be the heaviest hitter around but even with resistance Fearow's base 65 defence means its not really a long term solution, particularly with Stealth Rock likely being in play, and most Fearow sets not carrying Roost. Pidgeot's better as its generally built to be a little bulkier.

Arbok is preferable to Seviper, as most Arbok run Intimidate, although to be honest Swalot is probably superior to both, as it can encore SD's, pain split away damage, yawn, explode or use counter effectively.

Havak

Anyone have anymore suggestions for this? If not it's going on the site.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Salac berry with Endure/Sing/X-Scissor/Sword Dance could work.
You endure the first hit, then use Salac's boost to go first and try to sing your opponent then SD on the switch.
If you pull it off you get +1/+2 and Swarm activated, almost a gimmick due to its poor type coverage.. but 885/807 attack (Adamant) and 343/376 speed with cant be bad in NU.

Maybe a mention in OO or Set Comments at least?

Havak

Yeah, I feel that's kind of already suggested in the first set though. If more people think it's worth it though I could add a few comments somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)