DP Metagame Analysis - 6/11/07

I too haven't had anyone use Stealth Rock on me yet. I have had a Forretress use Toxic Spikes, but thats it.

I faced some guy Marriland, some Gamefaqs/Youtube dork, and he posts his wi-fi battle videos on youtube. He uses the most standard, boring team out there.... Salamence, Gengar, Skarmory, Blissey, Tyranitar, Garchomp. I beat him, haven't seen the video yet.

I too haven't had anyone use Stealth Rock on me yet. I have had a Forretress use Toxic Spikes, but thats it.

I faced some guy Marriland, some Gamefaqs/Youtube dork, and he posts his wi-fi battle videos on youtube. He uses the most standard, boring team out there.... Salamence, Gengar, Skarmory, Blissey, Tyranitar, Garchomp. I beat him, haven't seen the video yet.
If you beat him I really doubt he'll put it on Youtube. And I don't think that Marriland would ever go on GFaqs.

Lol, Thats funny because ive seen this happen before. the same issue hahahaha.

*looks around*

I battle a lot on Marriland forums, and the smart battlers tend to use Stealth Rocks or Spikes. Some battlers use Toxic Spikes, but they seem to be less experienced.

I'm not saying I'm a top notch battler or anything, but it seems like SR is being used.

As far as status I'm seeing a lot more WoW these days, with some Toxic/Twave thrown in.

Blissey clerics are dead (I haven't seen one), most come in the special wall + boltbeam wave boiled version.

Priority moves have come back strongly. Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Fake Out, Quick Attack, Sucker Punch, Ice Shard have seen increased usage.

I'm acutally in the process of writing a threat list/ commonly seen pokemon guide for Marriland forums, I'll probably post it here. Most of you probably would bash me for omitting Azelf and Cressy, but currently the accepted metagame over there is no ubers + no legends. Not sure how much it would help here, but still could be useful to some.

So, my experience is limited to not facing Cress/Azelf/Manaphy. But their effects have been felt, as I've seen some walls (Bronzong) set up Reflect, Light Screen. Seems they may see more use now.

Focus Sashes and Choice Scarfs are everywhere. Some CS'ers are predictable (Garchomp), others somewhat predictable (Porygon-Z), others from left field (Zam, Weavile, Hitmonchan, Breloom)

Focus Sashes have been seen on everything too. With a lack of sandstream being used by most teams I've faced, you see Focus Sashers in the middle of battle, not just with the common lead threats (Gar, Weavile) Sandstream should see more play, with some people entirely banking on FS to save them (Agility users, etc)

Surprisingly, there has been a lack of Heracross. Might be breeding issues. Also surprisingly I haven't seen many Ttars.

Most common pokemon showing up are Salamence (specs), Gyara(Bulky+taunt)-Vire (usually pure, not mixed), Weavile (revenge and lead), Blissey.

Thats about all I can think of in the top of my head.

Gengar is on practically every team, though I'm not sure why. You had best figure out a way to deal with it.
I'd say he's popular for 2 reasons:

He's in the sinnoh dex, and people liked him when they went through the game with him, and the more probable reason:

Shadow ball is now a special attack, and with STAB and base 130 spatk everyone's gotta give it a try at least once. He also gets a slew of the other new decent special attacks, making him have a lot of different typed attacks to choose from.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd imagine that once Competitor comes out, we'll start seeing a lot more defensive teams. Right now, no one wants to sit through

Trainer withdrew Blissey!

Trainer sent out Starmie!

Starmie was hurt by Spikes!

Starmie was hurt by Stealth Rock!

Enemy used Toxic!

The Sandstorm rages.

Starmie is buffeted by the Sandstorm.

Enemy was buffeted by the Sandstorm.

Starmie's Leftovers restored health.

Enemy's Leftovers restored health.

Starmie took damage from Toxic!

Personally, I use a team of yanmega (lead), electivire, forretress, vaporeon, lanturn, and ambipom. I use vaporeon and ambipom as bpers with calm mind and swords dance, respectively. I seem to do pretty well against non top notch players, usually newer ones that know what they are doing, but havn't had the time to raise their pokemon or breed them properly. My pokes have around 25 ivs, with 30 or 31 in the important stats. Also, second yanmega owning everything in existance.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Meaning what, exactly? Like physical Gengar kind of unpredictability?
Stuff like Exploding at the absolute weird times, Empoleon with a weird moveset that KOed my Heracross, a freaking Charge Beam/Psychic Bronzong which OHKOed my Cross, HP Grass Tyranitar, etc.

Gyrados and electivire combo works, also look out for any water(suicune, milotic) or skarmory combo with electivire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)