DPP Jumpluff

This is my first peer edit, so if I have something formatted incorrectly or anything like that, don’t hesitate to point it out.

I know Jumpluff is a UU Pokemon, but this set is tailored to OU where, ironically, I feel it has the most potential since OU is so physical-based and stall is less common.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jumpluff

[SET]
name: Suicide ‘Pluff
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Memento
move 3: Reflect
move 4: Encore
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Jumpluff has some unique ways of helping its teammates, and this set is one of them. Its purpose is to provide a powerful attacker the chance to set up, hopefully opening the game for a sweep.</p>

<p>Jumpluff’s high Speed allows it plenty of chances to use Sleep Powder. With the opposing Pokemon asleep, Jumpluff can freely use Reflect to provide itself and its teammates more protection from physical attacks, and then proceed to use Memento, a self-KO move that harshly lowers the opponent's Attack and Special Attack. At that point, a powerful set-up sweeper can enter the battle and use its stat-boosting move with little risk. This would also be a great opportunity for a Baton Passer to set up.</p>

<p>Reflect does not have to be used in order for Jumpluff to be successful. It is somewhat of a filler move, but given the fact that OU is a tier crowded with physical attackers, it can prove to be very useful. If this set is used in UU or Ubers, Reflect can be dropped in favor of another move, such as Leech Seed or Toxic. Encore is definitely the preferred fourth move to punish those that think Jumpluff is a set up fodder. Don't even bother with an attacking move like Grass Knot or Aerial Ace, as the damage output will be always be pitiful.<p>

<p>Leftovers as the item works fine, but there are other choices too. Lum Berry and Focus Sash are the most obvious examples, the latter only being of use if one decides to lead with this set because of the 25% damage that Stealth Rock will deal to Jumpluff after switching in.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Encore! Encore!

Grass Knot is shit, get rid of it for Encore. It's a MUST. Otherwise I have no idea if this set works in OU, though I imagine it would do okay. Encore is the only reason to use Jumpluff for anything ever.

Ok, I agree. I made Encore the primary option.

Should I completely leave out Grass Knot since the damage is going to negligible even if SE? I'm beginning to think that would be a good idea.

I also fixed up some of the set comments so it would make sense with Encore now being the fourth move.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From 55 base SpA with no investment, I don't think it's worth it at all. Really, even if Jumpluff does get Taunted, it's not like Grass Knot is going to help it against the Taunter at all. I think you should just drop all mention of Grass Knot from the set and comments.

Also,

At that point, a powerful set-up sweeper is free to enter the battle and use its stat boosting move of choice with little to no risk at all.
No hyphens =)

Ok, that's taken care of. I mentioned that it is not worth it to use an attack move in the fourth slot.

What do you guys think of the set? Also, are the comments good?

Edit: Thanks LR, hyphens gone.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd put Focus Sash as a slash to use this as a lead; I ran it once on a Battle Tower style team (and lol in the actual battle tower too), a slash maybe?

I'd put Focus Sash as a slash to use this as a lead; I ran it once on a Battle Tower style team (and lol in the actual battle tower too), a slash maybe?
I wouldn't use this as a lead. Memento isn't really the type of move you want to use early on as your opponent still has a full healthy team that is guaranteed to stop anything you attempt to set up, meaning that Jumpluff's sacrifice was for not. As much as I hate this phrase, it's best used late game when you can set up without being stopped cold.

Just my two cents on the matter. If there should be a secondary item suggestion, I would put Light Clay. Leftovers seems largly pointless for suicide pokemon and seems more of a filler than anything.

I wouldn't use this as a lead. Memento isn't really the type of move you want to use early on as your opponent still has a full healthy team that is guaranteed to stop anything you attempt to set up, meaning that Jumpluff's sacrifice was for not. As much as I hate this phrase, it's best used late game when you can set up without being stopped cold.

Just my two cents on the matter. If there should be a secondary item suggestion, I would put Light Clay. Leftovers seems largly pointless for suicide pokemon and seems more of a filler than anything.
I'm agreeing with Veedrock that this isn't best suited as a lead, and yes, leftovers are what I have been using when I've tested this set out but they are entirely filler. Light Clay, Lum Berry, ? Maybe even Wide Lens to make Sleep Powder that much better?

Opinions on the item, please. I'll edit my original post when we get this sorted out.

[SET]
name: Suicide ‘Pluff
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Memento
move 3: Reflect
move 4: Encore
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Jumpluff has some unique ways of helping its teammates, and this set is one of them. Its purpose is to provide a powerful attacker the chance to set up, hopefully opening the game for a sweep.</p>

<p>Jumpluff’s high Speed allows it plenty of chances to use Sleep Powder. With a vulnerable opponent that is asleep, Jumpluff can use Reflect to provide itself and its teammates more protection from physical attacks, and then proceed to use Memento. At that point, a powerful set-up sweeper is free to enter the battle and use its stat boosting move with little (remove 'to no') risk at all. This would also be a great opportunity for a Baton Passer to set up.</p>

<p>Reflect does not have to be used in order for Jumpluff to be successful. It is somewhat of a filler move, but given the fact that OU is a tier crowded with physical attackers, it can prove to be very useful. If this set is used in UU or Ubers, Reflect can be dropped in favor of another move, such as Leech Seed or Toxic. Encore is definitely the preferred fourth move to punish those that think Jumpluff is a set up fodder. Don't even bother with an attacking move like Grass Knot or Aerial Ace, as the damage output will always be pitiful.<p>

<p>Leftovers as the item works fine, but there are other choices too. Lum Berry and Focus Sash are the most obvious examples, the latter only being of use if one decides to lead with this set, because of the 25% damage that Stealth Rock will deal to Jumpluff after switching in.</p>
I like this analysis, it's well written and gave a clear explanation of what it does, in the comments and at the top.

speed < Speed

EVs are listed in this order:

HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe

Lum Berry becomes even more situational when not being used on a lead, as it's only really a protection against fast sleep on said leads. Wide Lens for only one move is very "meh," remove all mention of Focus Sash, it's pretty poor outside of leading. I would slash Light Clay / Leftovers in item as Light Clay is really the more useful item here (in my opinion.)

With a vulnerable opponent that is sleeping
I'd change this to simply "With the opposing Pokemon asleep, Jumpluff can freely use..." it just seems tidier.

A small explaination of what Memento does might be useful, as it is a less commonly used move, for example, "can use Memento to give a free switch in to a team member, whilst also lowering the opposing Pokemon's attacking stats."

Mention of the use of Light Screen in Ubers instead of Leech Seed or Toxic? (Just noticed your post, one of those stupid things I didn't check, sorry, on the other hand why does it get Reflect but not Light Screen????? =()

Don't even bother with an attacking move like Grass Knot or Aerial Ace. The damage output will be negligible even if it is super effective
Sentence sounds a little redundant, I'd consider removing it completely.

Thanks Katherine. I fixed all of the stuff you pointed out (lol at my incorrect spelling of "preferred"... I'm surprised I didn't catch that myself).

Edit: Imran, just saw your post. I'll edit what you said in. Btw, Jumpluff doesn't get Light Screen :(

Ok, I reworded the second paragraph with an explanation of what Memento does. Does it sound awkward?

And for the item, is it Light Clay/Leftovers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)