Dragonite (Full Revamp) +

This analysis needs quite a bit of revamp, with all the references to Dragonite being the only Dragon Dancer with Outrage and all the comparisons to Garchomp. For now, here is Caelum's mixed set which will be the first set, since it is the most popular at this point:

Dragonite, http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

[SET]
name: MixNite
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Roost / Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 112 Atk / 200 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Mixed Dragonite functions extremely similar to Mixed Salamence. Both are impressive wall breakers. While Salamence seemingly has the advantage with this set because of its higher Special Attack, Dragonite's unique access to Superpower makes him worthy of consideration.</p>

<p>With a Rash nature and 112 Attack EVs Dragonite is guaranteed to OHKO 0 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey, 252 HP Tyranitar, and 4 HP Heatran; with Stealth Rock damage. To again compare to MixMence, Salamence must rely on Brick Break to combat all three of these, none of which are OHKOed, which again emphasizes the advantage of using MixNite over MixMence. Draco Meteor is for a powerful STAB and can deal massive damage to the likes of Hippowdon, Dusknoir, and Swampert. A fire move in the third slot complements this set for nearly perfect coverage and prevents Skarmory and Bronzong from walling Dragonite entirely. Roost is the preferred option to recover Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. However, Thunderbolt is a very good option to combat bulky water Pokemon such as Vaporeon and Milotic and allows Dragonite to OHKO Gyarados. Outrage could be used on this set as well as Earthquake to combat Tentacruel.</p>

<p>As previously stated, the given Attack EVs are necessary to OHKO Bold Blissey, Tyranitar, and Heatran. 196 Speed EVs place Dragonite at 245 Speed, enough to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and many Celebi and Zapdos, and the remaining EVs are placed in Special Attack.</p>

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb / Yache Berry / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> The introduction of Outrage as a tutor move in Platinum snatched Dragonite's title of the only OU dragon to sport Dragon Dance + Outrage. However, this is still Dragonite's most destructive set. The concept is simple: come in on something that doesn't like Dragonite much, Dragon Dance on the switch, and blast away with Outrage. Dragon + Ground is only resisted by Bronzong and Skarmory so a fire move in the last slot remedies this. Fire Punch will hit Bronzong harder, but Fire Blast hits Skarmory much harder before you Dragon Dance. Ideally, you want to put off using Outrage as long as possible so you don't get needlessly locked in and can last longer before getting confused.</p>

<p> The choice of item is a matter of preference. Life Orb gives Dragonite significantly more power, but Yache Berry can save you from Ice Beams and Ice Shards. Lum Berry is also an option for status protection, and can free Dragonite of confusion for another round of Outrage.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Light Screen / Heal Bell
move 2: Roost
move 3: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower
item: Leftovers / Light Clay
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This Dragonite makes use of Light Screen or Heal Bell to support the team and does a decent job at countering Special threats such as Shaymin-S and Heatran. With 216 EVs bolstering Dragonite's impressive Special Defense, Shaymin-S can manage a maximum of 27% with Air Slash before Light Screen, and thanks to Dragonite's ability will never be able to flinch. Additionally, Seed Flare only hits for 9% thanks to a 4Xs resist.</p>

<p> Thunder Wave further aids in Dragonite's ability to cripple Special threats, and Toxic is a good deterrant to Bulky Waters, as Dragonite can stall them out easily with Light Screen and Roost. Dragon Pulse is the main STAB and works well with Thunderwave, but Flamethrower will prevent steels from ruining your fun if you opt for Toxic.</p>

<p> The 44 Speed EVs are important on this set as they put Dragonite's speed at 207. This is usually enough to outspeed Magnezone and will get the jump on Bold Suicune, Cresselia, and Milotic. This speed is vital because all four of these pokemon commonly carry an Ice move to dispatch of Dragonite. With the additional speed, you can set up a Light Screen in front of them and proceed to toxic stall or scout for a full paralysis before switching out. The rest of the EVs give Dragonite 385 HP, which allows Stealth Rock damage to round down while giving a favorable leftovers threshold, and 319 Special Defense, which is the highest possible bonus point for the remaining EVs.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky DD Dragonite
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Light Screen / Earthquake
move 3: Roost
move 4: Outrage / Dragon Claw
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This Dragonite shows some clear advantages over Salamence in its ability to Light Screen and set itself up for a sweep in the face of his counters. While behind a Light Screen, you'll take about 40%-47% from Vaporeon's Ice Beam, the strongest Ice Beam coming from any bulky Water, which in turn would be reduced to about 20%-23% if behind Light Screen and Roosting, thus allowing you to more than often come out on top against the Pokémon that would generally stop a Dragonite sweep.</p>

<p> Dragon Dance and Roost work well in conjunction, so you can start your sweep whilst healing when needed. However, you are left with only one slot, which goes to your STAB Dragon move, a choice of Outrage or Dragon Claw. The choice between Leftovers or Lum Berry is totally up to preference, one guarding you from status, the other providing small amounts of health per turn.</p>

<p>While Light Screen is very beneficial for this set, you may find that you simply don't have enough type coverage. Therefore, you can use Earthquake which adds coverage against steels, just watch for Skarmory and Bronzong.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Focus Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Dragonite's massive physical movepool again demonstrates differences from his Dragon counterparts. One should not underestimate the power of this set, as it is capable of 2HKOing everything in OU. Outrage is the main STAB, and with its enormous base power will 2HKO every non-steel physical wall in the game with an Adamant nature. Between Outrage and Earthquake, you hit everything except Bronzong and Skarmory for neutral damage. Focus Punch will take a nice big chunk out of Bronzong and most things switching in, but Fire Punch allows for repeated hits against both. Aqua Tail offers a powerful fourth attack that hits many things neutral, but its appeal lies in the ability to 2HKO the likes of Hippowdon and Gliscor without locking yourself in. You may also use this against Heatran, as you may catch things like Gengar and other Levitators switching in to take an Earthquake.</p>

<p> You can use a Jolly nature to Earthquake that Lucario before it can Ice Punch you, or strike a suprise kill on things like Flygon that sit at 280 speed. However, you may lose the ability to 2HKO some physical walls. </p>

[SET]
name: ScarfNite
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 4: Thunderbolt / Fire Blast / Ice Beam
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Lonely
evs: 112 Atk / 156 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Dragonite can be a great surprise to teams, as well as a great revenge killer. Draco Meteor provides a powerful attack with a drawback, but is brilliant for quick KOs on weaker opponents. Outrage is here for a late-game sweep, which Dragonite so often achieves, when most of the opponent's Pokémon just need clearing up. Earthquake is mainly here for Heatran, who otherwise handles this set, although it is useful for other threats such as Electivire.</p>

<p>The last moveslot can go to either Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Fire Blast, all of which achieve different targets. Thunderbolt helps against Water-types, namely Gyarados, and Ice Beam deals serious damage to Grass-types and the dragons. Fire Blast provides excellent coverage when paired with a Dragon-type move as well as Earthquake, hitting everything in OU for at least neutral.</p>

<p>If you prefer more Speed, use a Hasty nature with 228 Atk / 104 SpA / 176 Spe. Dragonite will have 396 Speed, at the cost of 4 less Attack points and 13 less Special Attack points. This allows Dragonite to always outspeed a neutral natured Gyarados with one Dragon Dance, and deal a minimum of 90%, fainting Gyarados after Life Orb recoil.</p>

[SET]
name: Agility Mix
move 1: Agility
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Thunderbolt / Fire Blast / Earthquake
item: Life Orb
evs: 84 Atk / 220 SpA / 204 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set utilizes Dragonite's enormous movepool and again separates him from the other OU dragons. Dragon Dancing pokemon still have the problem with behing revenge killed by faster Scarfers. With Agility and a heavy EV investment, Dragonite reaches 494 Speed putting it past positive natured base 100 Scarfers and Jolly Tyranitar before Agility.</p>

<p> This set works well in two different ways. In the beginning of the match it can funcion as a generic wall breaker; Draco Meteor punishes most physical walls, and is guarenteed to OHKO Gliscor after Stealth Rock. Thunderbolt OHKOs Skarmory and the combination of Thunderbolt + Draco Meteor will put you past most bulky waters. This should open you up to sweep later in the match. If you can get your agility off, you can unleash a Life Orbed Draco Meteor on your first victim and proceed to sweep with Outrage. Fire Blast and Earthquake are reliable alternatives to Thunderbolt, as they will help you get past steels that resist your dragon assaults.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Focus Punch / Superpower
item: Choice Specs
nature: Mild
evs: 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> At first glance, this seems like an inferior SpecsMence. And that is not far removed from the truth. Salamence has a little more Special Attack and Speed. Salamence's Speed and power advantage is balanced out, however, by Dragonite's punching prowess, which he boasts in the form of Focus Punch. Focus Punch allows Dragonite to easily get past the normal Specsmence counters. With this EV spread, Dragonite will score likely OHKOs on Blissey, Empoleon, and Heatran with the aid of Stealth Rock. Thunderbolt is a decent option over Dragon Pulse, as it hurts Water-types like Suicune, Empoleon and Milotic. It also tears through bulky Gyarados, who will always survive one hit from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p> With the introduction of Platinum move tutors, Dragonite can now use Superpower instead of Focus Punch to stop its counters. Focus Punch is almost always the better option, but Superpower can be useful to hit all three in a pinch without relying on predicting the switch.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Dragonite's movepool is massive, and there are plenty of good moves in there that are simply too hard to fit into a set. Dragonite can Roar and Haze, but is a rather average user of both. Dragonite makes a decent Breloom counter with Rest and Sleep Talk, and has the defenses to make use of such a set. However, Sleep Talk isn't very appealing on a pokemon that attracts so many Ice moves to exploit its 4Xs weakness.</p>

<p> Dragon Fang can be used in place of Life Orb on the Dragon Dance set, if you want to boost Outrage without suffering the 10% recoil.</p>

[EVs]

<p> The EVs are listed for each specific set. Dragonite's Speed is mediocre, so you usually want to concentrate on that first to hit an important benchmark, then tailor the rest of the spread accordingly. The Dragon Dancer and offensive sets need max Speed and Attack. Any sets focusing on Dragonite's above average defenses should max HP, then concentrate on the defense stat of your choice.</p>

<p> 245 Speed (196 EVs) is the bare minimum for any of the offensive sets to get the jump on Jolly Tyranitar. You can shoot for other benchmarks such as 270(200 EVs with a +Speed nature) or 280 (236 EVs with a +Speed nature), but your usually better off just maxing speed. 207 Speed is necessary for defensive sets to outspeed most Bulky Waters for Roosting.</p>

[Opinion]

<p> Dragonite had trouble fitting in last generation, as Salamence was being eyed and fancied by every trainer and their brother. Dragonite has gotten more competition this time around with the introduction of Garchomp, and Outrage becoming accessible to all OU Dragons. However, Dragonite's stellar movepool and its ability to take supporting roles has boosted Dragonite's usage and versatility, making it a solid choice for any team.</p>

[Counters]

<p> Much like Salamence, anything with Ice Beam will give Dragonite a hard time; just beware of Yache Berry on Dragon Dance sets, or Light Screen on the bulkier sets. Bulky Waters like Suicune, Slowbro and Swampert can threaten with Ice Beam or Avalanche while also scouting out Dragonite's set. Weavile and Mamoswine are especially dangerous with STAB Ice Shard hitting on Dragonite's lesser defense. Steels switch in well on Dragon attacks (particularly Outrage and Draco Meteor), but need to be wary of predicted Fire moves. The Choice and Mixed sets require a bit more care to counter, but can be handled with good prediction.</p>

Edit: Finished... suggestions?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Mixed Dragonite functions extremely similar to Mixed Salamence. Both are impressive wall breakers. While Salamence seemingly has the advantage with this set because of its higher Special Attack, Dragonite's unique access to Superpower makes him worthy of consideration.</p>

<p>With a Rash nature and 112 Attack EVs Dragonite is guaranteed to OHKO 0 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey, 252 HP Tyranitar, and 4 HP Heatran (nn) with Stealth Rock damage. To again compare to MixMence, Salamence must rely on Brick Break to combat all three of these, none of which are OHKOed, which again emphasizes the advantage of using MixNite over MixMence. Draco Meteor is for a powerful STAB and can deal massive damage to the likes of Hippowdon, Dusknoir, and Swampert. A fire move in the third slot complements this set for nearly perfect coverage and prevents Skarmory and Bronzong from walling Dragonite entirely. Roost is the preferred option to recover Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. However, Thunderbolt is a very good option to combat bulky water Pokemon such as Vaporeon and Milotic and allows Dragonite to OHKO Gyarados. Outrage could be used on this set, as well as Earthquake to combat Tentacruel.</p>

<p>As previously stated, the given Attack EVs are necessary to OHKO Bold Blissey, Tyranitar, and Heatran. 196 Speed EVs place Dragonite at 245 Speed, enough to outrun Jolly Tyranitar and many Celebi and Zapdos, and the remaining EVs are placed in Special Attack.</p>
The quality of this was much, much better than your previous edits. :)

Need to discuss the remaing sets... Choice Scarf (doesn't look good IMO), Choice Band, Choice Specs, Physical Support w/ Heal Bell, and if I should add the Agility Physical version.

I like the new Mixed Agility nite. I used to use the old agilnite sweeper that was up on the smogon analysis and it was pretty effective in the garchomp days. However Stealth rock scizors bullet punch I would think would limit its usage in today's metagame... (I really dislike scizor getting bullet punch. It's too powerful when you combine it with stealth rock IMO but ah well)

Just curious...What all does agilnite not outspeed? Scarfjolt? Scarfjask?!? (lol) I've been seeing people putting choice scarfs on the fastest of pokes nowdays...

Sure would be nice if he could learn reflect.

ScarfNite just didn't have enough power for me when I tried to use it. I don't remember exactly but I think it was:

Naive : 236 Spe (don't remember anything else)
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Outrage / Dragon Claw

It was supposed to outspeed Timid ScarfTran but the power was really missing from the lack of Life Orb. It did alright, but the surprise couldn't make up for the lack of power.

The Choice Band set I've used to great success, in two versions:

Choice Band
Adamant
64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Earthquake
Fire Punch / filler
Focus Punch / Superpower / filler
Outrage

OR

Choice Band
Careful
240 HP / 128 Atk / 44 Spe / 96 SpD
FALCON PUNCH!!! erm...Focus Punch
Outrage
Superpower / Ice Punch / filler
Toxic

The first set is much more aggressive than the second. It goes for the Fire / Dragon / Ground combo to hit everything for neutral damage. Focus Punch is for early game when you don't want to reveal anything. Outrage is the obvious STAB choice. Fire Punch over a special Fire attack because Fire Punch is actually a reasonably powerful attack, unlike the Fire Fang Salamence gets.

The second set is kind of a gimmick set. Focus Punch or Toxic on the switch, Outrage when you know the response, and the other move is filler. Superpower gets you a fighting move without a reliance on switches, Ice Punch hits many walls hard, and the list goes on. I chose those EVs for a reason, now I don't know why.

I have no experiance with the other sets but I see from the Shoddy Stats(I hope that link works) that both Heal Bell and Agility are used less than 4% of the time, so does it really deserve mention?

After testing the Screener set, I'm moving up to the 2nd postion. Caelum and a few others watched and can attest to its usefulness. The thing shuts down Shaymin-S almost completely (the HP Ice Life Orb versions not so much...). I even managed to outstall a Vaporeon who did 29% with Ice Beam while my screen was up and I wasn't even roosting. I think this set may be more helpful in our current metagame since Salamence kind of outclasses the Dragon Dancer set.

So I have changed the order accordingly.. not the way statistics go, but the way Dragonite should most impact the metagame over the next few months.

Er, Dragon Dance should be the first option..If we look at X-Act's common movesets we see it is clearly top. Sorry but I don't see how MixNite is most popular when:
Code:
37. DRAGONITE (Usages: 19323)

Typical moveset:
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

* Dragon Claw and Roost can replace any of the four moves listed.
Next I would put MixNite, then Screen Support, and basically just like you have it just shuffled down for DDNite.

I think there should be a ScarfNite. This is one I used before:

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 112 Atk / 156 SpA / 240 Spe
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Earthquake
Hits 384 Speed, rest go into Atk / SpA. It's a awesome revenge killer as well as late game sweeper. I used to bring it out after my suicide lead Exploded because of its versatility and Speed, and then I could bring it in late game for an Outrage sweep when everything is moderately low health. Try it, I personally love it :D

Do you want me the write the whole peer edit for the Scarf set? I'm willing to.

If Scarf Flygon works, Scarf Nite works too... I tried it recently: Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/SuperPower/OutRage (or Dragon Claw)

If the foe's team is diminished to frail sweeper, this thing will sweep. SuperPower makes it pretty good.

Well, Caelum and I agreed that while the Dragon Dancer is the most common right now, its usage will wane heavily because Salamence is doing that set much better. The screen support set offers an answer to Heatran AND Skymin, two deadly threats in the metagame and once people begin to test it, will become one of the most popular. Mixnite is popular now because it is doing something better than Salamence for a change, and the Agility Mixed sweeper does well in today's metagame as well. Basically, the first few sets are highlighting what Dragonite has over Salamence and will probably be its niche in the upcoming months. I can change it though if I can get more opinions, no big deal.

Twash Man, that'd be great. Could you write up Scarfnite? Thanks.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't understand how you can so freely state that Dragonite does the mixed set better than Salamence.

The proper statement would be "Dragonite does the mixed set differently than Salamence."

Dragonite carries Thunderbolt and Superpower while Salamence carries significantly higher Speed (299 > 259 is alot more than just the 40 points of speed, its a range that allows Salamence to outspeed MANY common threats) and higher Special Attack for some important OHKOs (Hippowdon)

I don't think either does the mix set better, just differently.

I also am skeptical on how well Agility Mixed Nite does. It looks cool as a set but I'd like some logs to confirm that.

Added another EV spread etc.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Scarf Dragonite can be a great surprise to teams, as well as a great revenge killer. Draco Meteor provides a powerful attack with a drawback, but is brilliant for quick KOs on weaker opponents. Outrage is here for a late-game sweep, which Dragonite so often achieves, when most of the opponent's Pokémon just need clearing up. Earthquake is mainly here for Heatran, who otherwise handles this set, although it is useful for other threats such as Electivire.</p>

<p>The last moveslot can go to either Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Fire Blast, all of which achieve different targets. Thunderbolt helps against Water-types, namely Gyarados, and Ice Beam deals serious damage to Grass-types and the dragons. Fire Blast provides excellent coverage when paired with a Dragon-type move as well as Earthquake, hitting everything in OU for at least neutral.</p>

<p>If you prefer more Speed, use a Hasty nature with 228 Atk / 104 SpA / 176 Spe. Dragonite will have 396 Speed, at the cost of 4 less Attack points and 13 less Special Attack points. This allows Dragonite to always outspeed a neutral natured Gyarados with one Dragon Dance, and deal a minimum of 90%, fainting Gyarados after Life Orb recoil.</p>

Added another EV spread etc.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you prefer more Speed, use a Hasty nature with 228 Atk / 104 SpA / 176 Spe. Dragonite will have 396 Speed, at the cost of 4 Attack points and 13 Special Attack. This allows Dragonite to always outspeed a neutral natured Gyarados with one Dragon Dance, and deal a minimum of 90%, fainting Gyarados after Life Orb recoil.</p>

Originally Posted by Aldaron:

I don't understand how you can so freely state that Dragonite does the mixed set better than Salamence.

The proper statement would be "Dragonite does the mixed set differently than Salamence."

Dragonite carries Thunderbolt and Superpower while Salamence carries significantly higher Speed (299 > 259 is alot more than just the 40 points of speed, its a range that allows Salamence to outspeed MANY common threats) and higher Special Attack for some important OHKOs (Hippowdon)

I don't think either does the mix set better, just differently.

I also am skeptical on how well Agility Mixed Nite does. It looks cool as a set but I'd like some logs to confirm that.
I take your point. Yes, Dragonite plays it differently and not better, which is why it doesn't say that in the analysis :-). The Agility Nite works much the same as MixNite, just has Agility for lategame sweep. In short, it works. I don't have logs yet... yesterday when I was testing it I kept getting burned and shit randomly lol.. Dragonite I'm starting to realize is one of those dependable pokemon that really can do well with almost any set, unlike most pokemon that just look good on paper and suck in practice.

Anyway, Pasting Twash Man's Choice Scarf set.

Other things to talk about:

Specs.... it looks fine, but I need to discuss Superpower vs. Focus Punch (if there needs to be a discussion).

Band... I used Choice Band Dragonite a while back and Focus Punch kinda sucked because you couldn't finish anything off if you missed the KO. I used Outrage, Earthquake, Aqua Tail, and Fire Blast. Fire Punch vs. Fire Blast is preference, but I found Aqua Tail to be EXTREMELY useful, nailing bulky grounds for 2HKOs, and beating stuff like Gengar that wanted to switch in on Earthquakes, and also being 1 less attack Heatran could come in on.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This Dragonite makes use of Light Screen or Heal Bell to support the team and does a decent job at countering Special threats such as Shaymin-S and Heatran. With 216 EVs bolstering Dragonite's impressive Special Defense, Shaymin-S can manage a maximum of 27% with Air Slash before Light Screen, and thanks to Dragonite's ability will never be able to flinch. Additionally, Seed Flare only hits for 9% thanks to a 4Xs resist.</p>

<p> Thunder Wave further aids in Dragonite's ability to cripple Special threats, and Toxic is a good deterrant to Bulky Waters, as Dragonite can stall them out easily with Light Screen and Roost. Dragon Pulse is the main STAB and works well with Thunderwave, but Flamethrower will prevent steels from ruining your fun if you opt for Toxic.</p>

<p> The 44 Speed EVs are important on this set as they put Dragonite's speed at 207. This is usually enough to outspeed Magnezone and will get the jump on Bold Suicune, Cresselia, and Milotic. This speed is vital because all four of these pokemon commonly carry an Ice move to dispatch of Dragonite. With the additional speed, you can set up a Light Screen in front of them and proceed to toxic stall or scout for a full paralysis before switching out.</p>
That gives you a total of 512 EVs. It should be 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe.

Lee, I will test Safeguard for Bulky DD Dragonite. It's definately worth a look since Dragonite is pretty much bulky already [though light screen has been working like an absolute charm!]. This analysis looks ready I think... any comments?

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe

Just wondering, why is Dragon Pulse is considered over dragon claw for the last moveslot?

perhaps the bulky waters that switch into it can be dented more by Dragon Pulse than Dragon Claw, but Dragon Claw can dent Blissey. Or is it just because its calm nature? o.0 anyway, Raikou, consider Ice Beam and Lum Berry on the support set? Ice Beam to hurt Skymin more and Lum to beat Breloom.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to further attest to the greatness of the Support set. I used it for a while on a stall team, and it was always a key player :)

I didn't really see any edits in a quick run through, but you may want to chage "+"s to "and," I think it just looks more professional. Not crucial though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)