Drapion (Pursuit Trapper)*

I was surprised that Drapion didn't have a Pursuit trapping set when I looked at the on-site analysis and the analysis that's been posted on Smogon already. Drapion is one of the best Pursuit users in UU, so I feel that it should have its own set.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/drapion

[SET]
name: Pursuit Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Aqua Tail / Ice Fang
item: Life Orb
ability: Sniper
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Drapion is one of the most reliable Pursuit-wielding Pokemon in the UU metagame; however, Drapion is somewhat challenged for a spot on the team by both Absol and Spiritomb, two other great Pursuiters. Both of them have their benefits: Absol's sky-high Attack and Spiritomb's great overall bulk and no weaknesses. However, Drapion has other advantages that make it worth the teamslot. Drapion's unique typing gives it neutrality to Hidden Power Fighting and Focus Blast, two moves that are often carried by Ghost- and Psychic-types. Other Pursuiters, such as Houndoom, Absol, and Umbreon, have a weakness to these moves, which can make them unreliable when switching them in. Another unique trait that Drapion has is its excellent offensive movepool that consists of various moves Drapion can abuse to great effect. Also, Drapion's decent overall bulk helps it survive powerful attacks, such as a Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Fighting from Mismagius, a Charge Beam-boosted Thunderbolt from Rotom, or a Calm Minded Surf from Slowbro. Lastly, Drapion's excellent base 95 Speed gives it the opportunity to outpace a large portion of the UU metagame as it's the fastest Dark-type in UU, tying with only Houndoom and Sharpedo.</p>

<p>Crunch is Drapion's STAB move of choice, as it will always hit the opponent for a Base Power of 80, unlike Pursuit, which hits for a Base Power of 40 unless the opponent switches out. Earthquake helps Drapion hit Steel-types that are resistant to Drapion's Dark-type STAB moves, particularly Registeel and Steelix. Aqua Tail and Ice Fang are great moves in the final slot. Aqua Tail lets Drapion hit Ground-types, such as Donphan, for heavy damage, while Ice Fang hits Flying- and Grass-types, such as Altaria and Tangrowth, and still hits Ground-types super effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Drapion uses a simple moveset to get the job done. Pursuit is obviously the crux of this set, turning into an 80 Base Power move if the opponent switches out in the fear of one of Drapion's other attacks. Crunch is another basic STAB move that can be used in case you think your opponent won't switch out, and it also helps against bulkier Psychic-types that may stay in. For example, Crunch scores a 2HKO against 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Slowbro with Stealth Rock in play. Earthquake has fantastic coverage in conjunction with Drapion's Dark attacks, dealing super effective damage to the Dark-resistant Steel-types, particularly Registeel, and hurts Houndoom and opposing Drapion. Aqua Tail rounds off the set nicely, helping against bulky Ground- and Rock-types, such as Donphan and Rhyperior, as well as Moltres, who is immune to Earthquake. Ice Fang is a decent alternative to Aqua Tail, allowing Drapion to hurt Grass- and Flying-types hard, mainly Torterra and Altaria, and still scores super effective damage against Ground-types.</p>

<p>Since Drapion is capable of disposing of many Ghost- and Psychic-types almost all the time, it's recommended to use Pokemon that enjoy the disappearance of these types. Fighting-types, like Hitmonlee and Hariyama, who love the lack of Ghost- and Psychic-types that take pathetic or no damage from their STAB attacks. The elimination of these types will allow them to unleash their powerful Close Combats without much worry. Also, a good tactic to note is that you can send out your Fighting-type first to attract a Ghost- or Psychic-type switch-in, and you can go directly to Drapion and eliminate them right away. Also, with the removal of Ghost-types, Rapid Spinners, such as Cloyster and Donphan, will have a much easier time doing their job at removing entry hazards. This kind of Drapion is best to be used on teams that actually need its support in taking out Ghost- and Psychic-types, because Drapion is basically guaranteed to take them out single-handedly.</p>

If there's anything else I should add/remove/expand upon, please let me know! Thanks!

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Drapion is an alright trapper from my opinion with an offensive EV spread. Absol and Spiritomb make excellent trappers since they can keep the opponent from second-guessing with Sucker Punch and Pursuit. And since Drapion is coming in on these Ghost- and Psychic-types, it will most likely lose:

Mismagius +2 Thunderbolt vs. Drapion - 104.6% - 123.5%
Alakazam +1 Focus Blast vs. Drapion - 118.1% - 138.8%
Rotom Thunderbolt vs. Drapion - 56.6% - 66.5%
Specs Rotom Thunderbolt vs. Drapion - 84.3% - 99.6%

I think this is better suited for other options, the Choice Scarf set could pull a trapper set better. Unless there's an alternate EV spread which allow it to combat with these guys better, then it could work. But I would imagine that it would take away from Drapion offensively since you're sacrificing some Attack for bulk.

I understand that Drapion lacks Sucker Punch and it won't be able to combat faster Psychic- and Ghost-types, but it has a lot of advantages when using Pursuit.

The problem with Spiritomb is that its movepool is so limited, that it's usually only carrying Dark or Ghost moves, nothing else. That doesn't offer decent super effective coverage. Add to the fact that it has horrific Speed and HP stats. Also, Spiritomb is pretty much Taunt bait for a lot of Pokemon that don't take super effective damage from Ghost/Dark moves. Finally, it doesn't have a basic STAB move it can use aside from Sucker Punch (which won't always work), which can be quite beneficial against Pokemon that don't switch out and stall out Sucker Punch's PP. Well, you can use Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse, but I don't think Spiritomb likes going mixed.

Absol's defensive stats are pathetic. That means it can't necessarily switch into anything without taking heavy amounts of damage. The only way you can really switch Absol into a Ghost or Psychic is if you predict a Ghost- or Psychic-type attack. Also, I don't really think that having Sucker Punch makes a Pursuiter "better". In some scenarios, you can instantly screw up in using Sucker Punch when the opposing Ghost or Psychic uses Substitute, in which case, Absol is literally forced to switch out or take the kill. It takes super effective damage from Fighting moves, and a lot of Ghost and Psychics carry that type.

Drapion doesn't have a lot of the problems Spiritomb and Absol have. Neutrality to Fighting-type attacks, high Speed, excellent movepool, ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, base 110 Defense, etc. I mean, there are some problems with Drapion like you stated, but it has some key traits that other Pursuiters lack.

I think I'll try to come up with an alternative EV spread that focuses slightly more on Drapion's Special Defense to take special attacks better. It will probably be more defensive than I would like, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Drapion is one of the most reliable Pursuit-weilding Pokemon in the UU metagame
Wielding.

Each of them have their own special talent, such as Absol's sky-high Attack and Spiritomb's great overall bulk, but Drapion has many specialties when it comes to trapping the opponent.
I'd paraphrase the sentence:
Both of them have their niches: Absol's sky-high Attack and Spiritomb's great overall bulk and no weaknesses. However, Drapion has other niches that make him worth a teamslot.

Drapion's unique typing (typing -> type combination) gives it neutrality to Hidden Power Fighting and Focus Blast, two moves that are often carried by Ghost- and Psychic-types. (dot) Other Pursuiters, (remove comma) such as Houndoom, Absol, and Umbreon, (remove comma) have (have -> pack) a weakness to these moves, which can make them unreliable when switching in.
Lastly, Drapion's excellent base 95 Speed gives it the opportunity to outpace a large portion of the UU metagame as it's the fastest Dark-type in UU, tying with only Houndoom and Sharpedo. (removed parentheses)
Pursuit is obviously the crux of this set, turning into an 80 Base Power move if the opponent switches out fearing one of Drapion's other attacks.
Crunch is another basic STAB move that can be used in case you think your opponent won't switch out, and it also helps against bulkier Psychic-types that may stay in. For example, it scores a 2HKO against 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Slowbro with Stealth Rock in play.
Earthquake has fantastic coverage in conjunction with Drapion's Dark attacks, dealing super effective damage to the Dark-resistant Steel-types, particularly Registeel; and hurts Houndoom and opposing Drapion. Ice Fang rounds off the set nicely, helping against bulky Ground-, Grass-, and Flying-types, (remove comma) such as Donphan, Torterra, and Altaria, respectively.
Fighting-types, like Hitmonlee and Hariyama, love the lack of Ghost- and Psychic-types that take pathetic or no damage from their STAB attacks, allowing them to unleash their powerful Close Combats without much worry.
Just minor nitpicks.

I think Drapion is a great Trapper, but the set I used is slightly different.

[SET]
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Choice Band gives Drapion a little bit more oomph then Life Orb, while also taking advantage of its natural bulk. With an Adamant nature, Drapion still outspeeds Pokemon such as Modest Moltres, + natured base 80s, which Absol (who is arguably better at this) cannot.

Aqua Tail is another huge selling point for Drapion, and I really think Ice Fang is a waste of a move slot since it is so pathetically weak, even versus Torterra (doesn't even OHKO min/min Torterra 82.2% - 97.9% with Life Orb). Aqua Tail allows Drapion to actually 2HKO Max / Min Donphan with a Choice Band and a Jolly nature (51% - 60.4%), as well as 2HKOing Rhyperior (67.7% - 80.4%) which is extremely important.

After look at this, why isn't the Choice Band set just renamed "Pursuit Trapper", and we can slash on Fuzznip's set? After all, the only reason to use CB Drapion is for a fast CB Pursuit.

Just imo anyway.

At least remove Ice Fang for Aqua Tail and slash adamant in :)

Since Drapion really needs that extra oomph in power I think slashing Night Slash over Crunch would be ideal. For Example, Crunch is a 3HKO on 252/252 Donphan with defense drop. NightSlash should OHKO.

Crit Nightslash: OHKO
Crunch: 27.6% - 32.8% (Defense Lowered) -> 41.7% - 49.2%= ~88% Max

Thank you Plopper for the checks.

Heysup, I'll add in your moveset slashes. I think I'll omit Choice Band for now until I test it out.

God Bless Atheism, I don't think relying on a critical hit is worth it. Crunch will always be stronger than Night Slash (80 BP vs 70 BP), unless of course you get a crit with Night Slash. Still though, it's not like you will be scoring crits every turn.

Thanks for the comments.

Although that is true, I don't think it's worth saying that. Sneasel had a usage rate of 0.64 in December, which is too low to give it a mention. I'll probably ask a mod about this and see what they think, though.

Um good set, I wondered why Drapion didn't have this as well!

The thing I wanted to say is that Encore Clef + Pursuiter is great in UU. Since Cress can only psychic Clefable, Drapion gets a free switchin and thus a free pursuit, or just beat the shit out of cress.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]
move 4: Aqua Tail / Ice Fang
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Drapion is one of the most reliable Pursuit-wielding Pokemon in the UU metagame; however, it is somewhat challenged for a spot on the team by both Absol and Spiritomb, two other great Pursuiters. Both of them have their benefits[niche really refers to a position or role]: Absol's sky-high Attack and Spiritomb's great overall bulk and no weaknesses. However, Drapion has other advnatages that make it worth the teamslot. Drapion's unique typing gives it neutrality to Hidden Power Fighting and Focus Blast, two moves that are often carried by Ghost- and Psychic-types. Other Pursuiters, such as Houndoom, Absol, and Umbreon, have a weakness to these moves, which can make them unreliable when switching them in. Another unique trait that Drapion has is its excellent offensive movepool[bit self-explanatory]. Also, Drapion's decent overall bulk helps it survive powerful attacks, such as a Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Fighting from Mismagius, a Charge Beam-boosted Thunderbolt from Rotom, or a Calm Minded Surf from Slowbro. Lastly, Drapion's excellent base 95 Speed gives it the opportunity to outpace a large portion of the UU metagame as it's the fastest Dark-type in UU, tying with only Houndoom and Sharpedo.</p>

<p>Crunch is Drapion's STAB move of choice, as it will always hit the opponent for a Base Power of 80, unlike Pursuit, which hits for a Base Power of 40 unless the opponent switches out. Earthquake helps Drapion hit Steel-types that are resistant to Drapion's Dark-type STAB moves, particularly Registeel and Steelix. Aqua Tail and Ice Fang are great moves in the final slot. Aqua Tail lets Drapion hit Ground-types, such as Donphan, for heavy damage, while Ice Fang hits Flying- and Grass-types, such as Altaria and Tangrowth, and still hits Ground-types super effectively.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Drapion uses a simple moveset to get the job done. Pursuit is obviously the crux of this set, turning into an 80 Base Power move if the opponent switches out in the fear of one of Drapion's other attacks. Crunch is another basic STAB move that can be used in case you think your opponent won't switch out, and it also helps against bulkier Psychic-types that may stay in. For example, Crunch scores a 2HKO against 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Slowbro with Stealth Rock in play. Earthquake has fantastic coverage in conjunction with Drapion's Dark attacks, dealing super effective damage to the Dark-resistant Steel-types, particularly Registeel, and hurts Houndoom and opposing Drapion. Aqua Tail rounds off the set nicely, helping against bulky Ground- and Rock-types, such as Donphan and Rhyperior, as well as Moltres, who is immune to Earthquake. Ice Fang is a decent alternative to Aqua Tail, allowing Drapion to hurt Grass- and Flying-types hard, mainly Torterra and Altaria, and still scores super effective damage against Ground-types.</p>

<p>Since Drapion is capable of disposing of many Ghost- and Psychic-types almost all the time, it's recommended to use Pokemon that enjoy the disappearance of these types. Fighting-types, like Hitmonlee and Hariyama, who love the lack of Ghost- and Psychic-types that take pathetic or no damage from their STAB attacks. The elimination of these types will allow them to unleash their powerful Close Combats without much worry. Also, a good tactic to note is that you can send out your Fighting-type first to attract a Ghost- or Psychic-type switch-in, and then you can go directly to Drapion and eliminate them right away. Also, with the removal of Ghost-types, Rapid Spinners, such as Cloyster and Donphan, will have a much easier time doing their job at removing entry hazards. This kind of Drapion is best to be used on teams that actually need its support in taking out Ghost- and Psychic-types, because Drapion is basically guaranteed to take them out single-handedly.</p>

Thanks for the proofread, Eo. :)

@YTP: Well, can't Drapion just switch into Psychic in the first place and kill off Cresselia from there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)