Dream World Tier: ManaBlitz vs. Jnbrex

I had this battle at roughly 2:00 AM, and decided that it was the best battle I’d had yet. While it certainly isn’t the best battle ever by any means, I felt there was some level of decent playing in it. Please let me know what you think, because I’m really making this to, I guess, prepare for a really good battle if I ever have one, so that I can make it into a good warstory. Thanks!

Some background information; I’m fairly new to 5th Gen (and I wouldn’t call myself an experienced 4th Gen battler either) and that in conjunction with the time the battle took place in (at?), I skipped over checking out my opponent’s team! This didn’t turn out to bad for me I don’t think, but all in all it would have helped. I will be removing leftovers and sandstorm, etc after first mention the poke. Some percentages might be off. My comments will be in navy.

The Teams:

Battle between Jnbrex and ManaBlitz started!

Tier: Dream World
Variation: +22, -9
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

ManaBlitz sent out Politoed!
Jnbrex sent out Hippowdon!
Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
The foe's Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

VS.

100%--------100%

Sadly, he starts off with favorable weather. The decision here is between three moves, Toxic, Scald, and Protect. Figuring that he probably doesn't have anything to dangerous to hit me with, I decide to Toxic, as the idea of poisoning his Hippowdon or something else is more appealing than the "meh" damage of Scald and the chance of wasting a turn protecting on the switch.

Start of turn 1
Jnbrex called Hippowdon back!
Jnbrex sent out Ferrothorn!

Politoed used Toxic!
But it failed!

The sandstorm rages!
Politoed is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Politoed restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

100%-------100%

Great. Not only did I waste a turn, but he's brought in the bane of my existence, Ferrothorn! I could stay in for a burn with Scald, or I could scout with Protect. Not liking these options (30% burn chance and giving him the chance to put up rocks) I decide to switch out to a poke I specifically use to counter Ferrothorn, Lickilicky!

Start of turn 2
ManaBlitz called Politoed back!
ManaBlitz sent out Lickilicky!

Lickilicky has Cloud Nine!
The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
A critical hit!
Lickilicky lost 202 HP! (47% of its health)

Lickilicky restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

53%-------100%

Ack, a crit. Luckily its nothing too serious. Now, really there isn't much deliberation here. I sent in Lickilicky to Fire Blast, so Fire Blast it shall!

Start of turn 3
Lickilicky used Fire Blast!
It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 62% of its health!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
Lickilicky was seeded!

Lickilicky's health is sapped by leech seed.

VS.

41%-------52%

Hmmm. Well, at least I hit! Granted, the seeds aren't my favorite thing, but I can deal with it! I was hoping for him to Stealth Rock so I could 2HKO (assuming he stayed in) but now I'm in a tricky situation. Wanting to make this thing as close to dead as possible I just go ahead with a second Fire Blast.

Start of turn 4
Jnbrex called Ferrothorn back!
Jnbrex sent out Blissey!

Lickilicky used Fire Blast!
The foe's Blissey lost 7% of its health!

The foe's Blissey restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

41%-------99%

Rats. I'm really being played here. I'm not really sure of what this Blissey will do. I played fourth gen long enough to know that Chansey/Blissey seems to generally softboiled/status/Seismic Toss/ice beam or aromatherapy or something, so I decide to keep Lickilicky in as he is the most expendable and can take a seismic toss. (in hindsight a switch to Politoed would have worked out better as it has rest to absorb the status). My options here are really either Dragon Tail or Knock Off. I normally have explosion also but I replaced that for Ice Beam (argh) because it wasn't doing much for me. Anyways, I decide to attempt a Knock Off to decrease Blissey's durability.

Start of turn 5
The foe's Blissey used Thunder Wave!
Lickilicky is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Lickilicky is paralyzed! It can't move!

VS.

29%{PAR}-------99%

And I make a somewhat correct prediction.... and I still lose out. Well, at this point I decided that Lickilicky was being completely useless, and that I needed a better option to put out there. After very little thinking, I decided Ferrothorn would be my best bet, hopefully being able to scare off this Blissey with Leech Seed and get my rocks up.

Start of turn 6
ManaBlitz called Lickilicky back!
ManaBlitz sent out Ferrothorn!

The foe's Blissey used Seismic Toss!
Ferrothorn lost 100 HP! (28% of its health)
Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts the foe's Blissey

Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

78%-------88%

I get in relatively unscathed. Now to get rid of this Blissey. I go for the Leech Seed as I assume he doesn't want to let his Blissey pump me up with massive leeches.

Start of turn 7
Jnbrex called Blissey back!
Jnbrex sent out Chandelure!

Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
The foe's Chandelure was seeded!

The foe's Chandelure's health is sapped by leech seed.

VS.

93%-------88%

Seems like Blissey just didn't feel like sticking around to even risk being seeded, and Chandelure comes in. This is definitely where I was kicking myself for missing the team preview. If I had known he had a Chandelure I would not have left Ferrothorn so vulnerable. Now I'm trapped and awaiting the OHKO.

Start of turn 8
The foe's Chandelure used Overheat!
It's super effective!
Ferrothorn lost 328 HP! (93% of its health)
The foe's Chandelure's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Ferrothorn fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Chandelure is buffeted by the sandstorm!
ManaBlitz sent out Politoed!

Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!

VS.

100%-------88%

5-6

My Ferrothorn goes down far too early and I'm now left lacking rocks for the rest of the game. I send in Politoed now to finally get my rain up, knowing his Chandelure can't do much to me. I decide the safest bet is to Scald for damage on whatever comes in (or even to severely damage the Chandelure) rather than Toxic as we saw how that went for me last time.

Start of turn 9
Jnbrex called Chandelure back!

Politoed used Scald!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 12% of its health!

Rain continues to fall!

VS.

100%-------40%

I make a bit of a arguable decision here. I'm getting tired of the whole game revolving around this stupid Ferrothorn, and so I devise a plan to get rid of it. Last time I had Politoed out, he went for the Power Whip. So, I make the assumption he'll do this. Knowing that Power Whip 2HKOs and that I outspeed, I have two chances to burn him and at the very least I will rack up damage so that I can KO it with something else (Lickilicky now being unreliable due to paralysis). While Rain is important, I figure that losing any of my other pokes who can actually damage him would be a greater loss, and so, down goes Politoed. Operation: Kill Ferrothorn (/lame) is ago!

Start of turn 10
Politoed used Scald!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 13% of its health!

It's super effective!
Politoed lost 270 HP! (70% of its health)

Rain continues to fall!
Politoed restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 11
Politoed used Scald!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 14% of its health!

It's super effective!
Politoed lost 138 HP! (35% of its health)
Politoed fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
ManaBlitz sent out Lickilicky!

Lickilicky has Cloud Nine!

VS.

29%{PAR}-------13%

4-6

Although his Ferrothorn is very weak, I change my plans. It is now weak enough that it is manageable to KO it with basically anything. Hoping to gain some momentum, I send Lickilicky in to Dragon Tail to scout his team and try to set up a good switch in. Or at least this was my line of thought, it probably would have been better to simply kill it with something, but oh well.

Start of turn 12
Lickilicky lost 96 HP! (22% of its health)

Lickilicky used Dragon Tail!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 3% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Lickilicky
The foe's Blissey was dragged out!

VS.

10%{PAR}-------94%

I figure the best thing Lickilicky can do at this point is simply die, I click Knock Off knowing I won’t live through a seismic toss. The decision then is, what to send in? Well, due to Dragonite and Jirachi not wanting paralysis, I head into my Choice Scarf Mamoswine to hopefully scare off the Blissey.

Start of turn 13
Lickilicky lost 44 HP! (10% of its health)
Lickilicky fainted!

ManaBlitz sent out Mamoswine!

VS.

100%-------100%

3-6

Now the decision boils down to what move. Hoping for maximum power, it’s between Icicle Spear (not Drop) or Earthquake. I decide that the Earthquake is more reliable and could easily KO the Ferrothorn if he fodders it in.

Start of turn 14
Jnbrex called Blissey back!

The foe's Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Mamoswine used Earthquake!
The foe's Hippowdon lost 28% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Hippowdon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

100%--------78%

Well, this situation is tricky. I decide to switch out here in hopes of doing better damage to this thing, and not wanting my Mamoswine to take much damage. I predict an Earthquake, so heading out to Dragonite seems like the most beneficial thing to do here.

Start of turn 15
ManaBlitz called Mamoswine back!
ManaBlitz sent out Dragonite!

The foe's Hippowdon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around ManaBlitz's team!

Dragonite restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

VS.

100%--------84%

Yikes, Stealth Rocks. Luckily, Dragonite is now in and as such can attempt to preserve his multiscale for now. Wanting to maximize damage without having to drop my Sp. Att, I go for Hurricane just to see how much it’ll do, not fearing this Hippowdon at all.

Start of turn 16
Jnbrex called Hippowdon back!
Jnbrex sent out Chandelure!

Dragonite used Hurricane!
The foe's Chandelure lost 75% of its health!
The foe's Chandelure fainted!

VS.

100%--------8%

3-5

Well…. That was odd. My best guess is he figured he could survive whatever I threw at him and trap me again. Or perhaps he thought I was some sort of support Dragonite. Either way, his Chandelure goes down and I’m not complaining. However, now he’s sent out his Ferrothron, which I definitely don’t have an explanation for.

Start of turn 17
A critical hit!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 8% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!

VS.

100%--------84%

3-4

His Ferrothorn easily goes down to my Hurricane, and I rejoice at the death of that stupid barbed-ball-plant thing. Now I see he sends his Hippowdon back in. Not really fearing it, I just go for the Hurricane again.

Start of turn 18
The foe's Hippowdon lost 55% of its health!

The foe's Hippowdon used Fire Fang!
Dragonite lost 13 HP! (4% of its health)

VS.

100%--------34%

Well, he broke my Multiscale, but at least I was right about him having very little to do to me. I can only assume that he sent it out to break Multiscale so that I could be killed by something else. Either way, Hurricane is once again the best option here.

Start of turn 19
The foe's Hippowdon lost 34% of its health!
The foe's Hippowdon fainted!

Dragonite restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Jnbrex sent out Landorus!

VS.

96%--------100%

3-3

Finally able to tie up the score, I see his Genie with the freaky haircut staring me down, ready to cleanup. Now, this is where I decide to prioritize. Knowing that he still has a Blissey, Dragonite can’t do anything to it. So, I decide that Dragonite is the most expendable here. While I could predict the HP Ice here and switch to something that can take it (Mamoswine has Thick Fat) I want Mamoswine as healthy as possible, as I don’t know what his last team member is and Mamoswine can usually be 2HKO’d. So, goodbye Dragonite!

Start of turn 20
The foe's Landorus used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 311 HP! (96% of its health)
Dragonite fainted!
The foe's Landorus is hurt by its Life Orb!
ManaBlitz sent out Mamoswine!

Jnbrex: i hate multiscale

VS.

88%--------90%

2-3

Alright, well, I have a few options here. Icicle Spear will kill this thing, Earthquake could hit the possible switch-in, or Stone Edge could hit both. I decide that Landorus is just too powerful and I know anything will hurt Blissey, so Icicle Spear it is.

Start of turn 21
Jnbrex called Landorus back!
Jnbrex sent out Excadrill!

The foe's Excadrill is floating on a balloon!
Mamoswine used Icicle Spear!
The foe's Excadrill lost 18% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill's Air Balloon popped!
Hit 3 times!

VS.

88%--------46%

Knowing I can take a hit from this thing I hope for the KO with Icicle Spear, as sending Jirachi in now would be certain death from a STAB super effective Earthquake.

Start of turn 22
The foe's Excadrill used Earthquake!
Mamoswine lost 232 HP! (64% of its health)

The foe's Excadrill lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill lost 20% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill lost 4% of its health!
The foe's Excadrill fainted!
Hit 3 times!

Jnbrex sent out Landorus!

VS.

24%--------90%

2-2

Excadrill goes down and this was where I was glad to have kept Mamoswine and let Dragonite fall. His Excadrill may have very well been able to take out my Dragonite, resisting all its moves and most likely possessing Stone Edge or Rock Slide. Now he sends in Landorus, which I think is the biggest misplay of the match for him as his Blissey can KO me with SToss and his Landorus could have OHKO'D Jirachi with an Earthquake(no offense Jnbrex!). I stay in and go for the easy KO.

Start of turn 23

It's super effective!
The foe's Landorus lost 60% of its health!
The foe's Landorus lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Landorus fainted!
Hit 2 times!

Jnbrex sent out Blissey!

VS.

24%--------100%

2-1

Blissey comes in. At this point, Mamoswine is too frail to go for the kill on a full HP Blissey, so Jirachi is my best bet against this fatty. I go for one last Icicle Spear hoping for max damage on this thing.

Start of turn 24
The foe's Blissey lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Blissey lost 14% of its health!
Hit 2 times!

Mamoswine lost 85 HP! (24% of its health)
Mamoswine fainted!

ManaBlitz sent out Jirachi!

VS.

94%--------73%

1-1

At this point, I know I need to use Calm Mind and Psyshock to win. So really, there’s not much to say. I just have to hope not to get paralyzed too many times, assuming he TWaves me (he does).

Start of turn 25
Jirachi used Psyshock!
The foe's Blissey lost 36% of its health!

The foe's Blissey used Thunder Wave!
Jirachi is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Jirachi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 26
The foe's Blissey used Softboiled!
The foe's Blissey regained health!

Jirachi used Psyshock!
The foe's Blissey lost 37% of its health!

Start of turn 27
The foe's Blissey used Softboiled!
The foe's Blissey regained health!

Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!

Start of turn 28
Jirachi lost 100 HP! (24% of its health)

Jirachi used Calm Mind!
Jirachi's Sp. Att. rose!
Jirachi's Sp. Def. rose!

Start of turn 29

Jirachi used Calm Mind!
Jirachi's Sp. Att. rose!
Jirachi's Sp. Def. rose!

Start of turn 30

Jirachi used Psyshock!
The foe's Blissey lost 75% of its health!

Start of turn 31

Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!

VS.

28%{PAR}--------22%

It’s down to the wire. If I hit, I win, if I get paralyzed, I lose. Either way, it was a fun match and good game Jnbrex!

Start of turn 32

Jirachi used Psyshock!
The foe's Blissey lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Blissey fainted!

ManaBlitz won the battle!
ManaBlitz: gg
Jnbrex: lol
Jnbrex: close one
ManaBlitz: close
ManaBlitz: mhmm
ManaBlitz: gg

VS.

4%--------0%

1-0

I manage to win this very close match! We exchange gg’s and go on our way. Thanks for the match Jnbrex, and if you see this I look forward to battling you again!

Props:
• Dragonite for KOing half his team.
• Mamoswine for wrecking shit up.
• Jirachi for pulling through in the end there
• His Ferrothorn for being a pain in the ass.
• His Blissey for walling the hell out of me.

Slops:
• Politoed, my Ferrothorn, and Lickilicky for not doing anything of much use.
• Various misplays.
• His Landorus for being KOed by Mamoswine.
• Me for not preserving my weather.

The final look:

Thanks to everyone who read this warstory. I know there were some misplays and overall it wasn’t the best battle, but any critique is welcome!

really simple but great format, I also really like the teams with the background and stuff like that. The battle was also pretty good, with some misplays on your opponent's part, and the commentary was ok.

7/10

Thanks Chieliee.

And yeah, I was surprised by that too. I was getting pretty lucky that night with stuff like that.

Is it me or Hurricane hit 4 times in a row without rain up
^

Also, your opponent sacced a lot of stuff needlessly. If he had sacced Ferrethorn to get Chandlure in to break Marvel Scale, he wouldnt have most Hippowdon. And if he hadnt lost Landorus to Mamoswine by just bringing Blissey first...then that's 2 Earthquakers to kill Jirachi after Blissey dies.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really liked the team presentation thing before and after the battle :)

Game was fairly average with a few good moves but I'm with Universal Berry 4 50% Hurricanes hitting, very lucky on your part.

Still enjoyable read 7/10

The commentary was nice and the formatting was great, but that battle itself was lacking. I noticed you made several misplays; for example, you let your Cloud Nine Lickilicky die when you knew he still had an Excadrill. You also let your Ferrothorn in on an obvious Shadow Tag Chandelure switch-in, let your Drizzle pokemon die, etc.

Overall, it was just okay. If you had picked a better battle, I'm sure your warstory would have been amazing.

The commentary was nice and the formatting was great, but that battle itself was lacking. I noticed you made several misplays; for example, you let your Cloud Nine Lickilicky die when you knew he still had an Excadrill. You also let your Ferrothorn in on an obvious Shadow Tag Chandelure switch-in, let your Drizzle pokemon die, etc.

Overall, it was just okay. If you had picked a better battle, I'm sure your warstory would have been amazing.
Couldn't have said it better.

7/10

Like I said in the opening comment, I accidentally skipped the team preview and as such had no idea about his team. All the same I'm sure I made more misplays and your point is extremely valid. I appreciate the feedback guys and it's good to know that the only thing holding me back is my battles. Sadly I'm not yet that great of a battler (I'm hoping to get better through the next round of tutoring) and hopefully I will be able to give better battles in the future. Thanks again for all the ratings and critiques!

a rarther simple but interesting format...
battle was pretty good with nothing spectacular (apart from icicle spear at least for me-seriously dude, where did you think of it?)...
some misplays on both parts and a bit of luck with hurricane, but in acceptable ways...7/10

I really liked the format, and those team banners, and while there was some misplays, one of the best we've had in this War Story drought. Good work :D

a rarther simple but interesting format...
battle was pretty good with nothing spectacular (apart from icicle spear at least for me-seriously dude, where did you think of it?)...
some misplays on both parts and a bit of luck with hurricane, but in acceptable ways...7/10
I believe my Mamoswine set was completely taken from a RMT I saw, I meant to give credit but I couldnt find the thread or remember the name of the user who made it. I also took his Politoed set and edited it slightly I believe. I think he had a chestorest set, so whoever you are, if you see this, here's your credit!

And thanks you two, I appreciate the feedback.

This battle wad totally decides by hax. Without commenting the hugs misplays with ferro and toed, do you know what are the chances of hurricane hitting 4 times in a row (which was the reason you could balance the match) without rain up??

Hurricane only has 50% accuracy in sun, it has the normal 70% accuracy under sandstorm conditions.

Otherwise, I liked the format a lot, especially the team presentation.

Hurricane only has 50% accuracy in sun, it has the normal 70% accuracy under sandstorm conditions.

Otherwise, I liked the format a lot, especially the team presentation.
That is still only 24.01% likely to occur. You are more likely to hit with a OHKO move, or hit someone with +6 Evasion.

Having played both of you numerous times, I enjoyed reading this. I remember that Mamoswine was a huge pain to team, too. (It took me a while to realize that it was Scarfed.)

And whenever I play Jnbrex, I'm always looking out for that relatively unusual special-attacking Landorus. Hope to battle you both more :)

Having played both of you numerous times, I enjoyed reading this. I remember that Mamoswine was a huge pain to team, too. (It took me a while to realize that it was Scarfed.)

And whenever I play Jnbrex, I'm always looking out for that relatively unusual special-attacking Landorus. Hope to battle you both more :)
Thanks! I hope to battle you again as well, you are a great battler.

Thanks jalmont747, GengarFTW and Pombo!

A few misplays on each side, but I liked the teams and it was still a enjoyable battle.
The format was simple yet effective too.
7.5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)