Drought discussion thread

That's funny, because last I checked I can switch Typhlosion in and start dropping sun and flash fire-boosted Eruptions everywhere. If it's choiced, it gets 2HKO'd and needs to switch. If you are Choice Specs Typhlosion, even better - it's an OHKO, and it needs to be running max EVs and + nature to speed tie you if it's not choiced.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Obviously a Vicitini user won't be spamming V-Create once they see a Typhlosion in team preview. Tbh you'd just get U-Turned on and they'd go to Sawsbuck or something to take you out.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is why a tier list based on usage alone doesn't work anymore.
OU seems to be the land of the few dozens of pokemon that can always counter each other with the usual sets, much like ubers.

Specs HP Fire Kyurem is exceptionally good in a sun team. Fire/Dragon/Ice/Fighting has perfect coverage. Nothing except evolite Chansey can wall it.
Care to explain that? If they are less used it is for a reason, because they aren't as good as the things in OU. Seems pretty valid to me.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't believe Shroomisaur was saying that sub-ou was a bad thing. I don't see how a metagame where threats can counter other threats is a bad thing, rather, I think it would be a bad thing if the opposite was true.

Might as well put it here

Vulpix (F) @ Shed shell
Trait: Drought
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 (SDef/Spe)
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Rest
- Filler (Wow, Flamethower, FB, Hypnosis, etc...)
- Filler (Wow, Flamethower, FB, Hypnosis, etc...)

The only job of this set is swich in-swich out, shed shell is for the dugtrio that peole has been running to kill vulpix, and max deense and hp is for the rare pursuit, he just scapes to another bulkier poke to take the hit, rest is for SR damage and the Evs lets you swich in 4 times after the SR is up rest lets you heal yourself and it doesn't matter if you are sleep to set the sun so you don't have to care about the new sleep mechanics, and protect to scout better the moves, the rest is a filler for what you need

Drought isnt broken. Most sun abusers are weak to fire bar superfrail Charizard and Victini which will likely be OU soon.
Vulpix, even after eviolite, 38/40/65 base defenses are still omgwtf.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I wholeheartedly agree. This is why a tier list based on usage alone doesn't work anymore.
The tiers aren't based on usage alone. In case you forgot we have this cool little tier called borderline. In it we have the stuff that dominates UU but for whatever reason isn't used in OU. Have some patience, the first two rounds are supposed to be chaotic. After that it starts to balance out.

As for drought... Specs charizard Fire Blast 2hkoes calm chansey with SR support. That is an example of the kind of power that drought offers. It needs to make like kyurem and gtfo to BL.

The tiers aren't based on usage alone. In case you forgot we have this cool little tier called borderline. In it we have the stuff that dominates UU but for whatever reason isn't used in OU. Have some patience, the first two rounds are supposed to be chaotic. After that it starts to balance out.

As for drought... Specs charizard Fire Blast 2hkoes calm chansey with SR support. That is an example of the kind of power that drought offers. It needs to make like kyurem and gtfo to BL.
BL and Ubers are technically not official tiers I believe, they're just banlists for the official tiers below them.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Whatever you want to classify it as, BL exists, so the argument that tiering based on usage "doesn't work anymore" is silly.

Blackhawk11

one on one
I've been trying out sun in UU and NP Shiftry has been the savior of my team so far.

Shiftry (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- SolarBeam

Speed EVs outspeed +1 Base 100s in the sun.
Dark Pulse and Solarbeam for STAB (Slowbro, Milotic, Suicune, Victini, Celebi, Cresselia, and others are no sweat), Focus Blast for coverage on Chansey, Cobalion, Houndoom, and others.

If you can get to +2 you're in a good spot, +4 and its gg.

Hitmontop and other Mach Punch users give it trouble, so find a way to take them out.

Imo I'd use Growth on that set Blackhawk. You're not going to be doing much if you set up outside of Sun (if you even manage it) and you could throw the opponent off quite easily by making them think you're mixed - they may not send Chansey in, letting you get a kill or so rather than baing walled by the pink blob.

I use a Vulpix set that works pretty well.

Vulpix (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Confuse Ray
- Wil-O-Wisp

This set even beat an Arcanine with Confusionhax.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Imo I'd use Growth on that set Blackhawk. You're not going to be doing much if you set up outside of Sun (if you even manage it) and you could throw the opponent off quite easily by making them think you're mixed - they may not send Chansey in, letting you get a kill or so rather than baing walled by the pink blob.
That's a good point, I just ran a bunch of calcs and realized that +2 is overkill on pretty much everything. The only thing that needs to be at +2 to OHKO is Cresselia, and since I can't even OHKO Chansey at +6 with a Life Orb, Growth seems to be a good choice to keep Chansey away. Thanks!

Drought isnt broken. Most sun abusers are weak to fire bar superfrail Charizard and Victini which will likely be OU soon.
Vulpix, even after eviolite, 38/40/65 base defenses are still omgwtf.
Vulpix can be very defensively strong with proper EV'ing, a Bold 252HP/156Def/100SDef spread gives it 280HP/255def/286SDef. That is better defenses than your average Hitmontop. You may be laughing that it only has 136 S.Atk but fun fact, a STAB Overheat from Vulpix still 1HKO's a Abomasnow even with the sun cancelled out and thats all it really needs, to be able to kill its main weather opponent.

Vulpix can be very defensively strong with proper EV'ing, a Bold 252HP/156Def/100SDef spread gives it 280HP/255def/286SDef. That is better defenses than your average Hitmontop. You may be laughing that it only has 136 S.Atk but fun fact, a STAB Overheat from Vulpix still 1HKO's a Abomasnow even with the sun cancelled out and thats all it really needs, to be able to kill its main weather opponent.
The problem with Vulpix is its abysmal speed, imo. The lack of bulk (and the above really isn't too impressive) would be acceptable if it was at least fast enough to try and pull a Sub+Disable or similar set like Tales can. Idk, Vulpix is really the big thing that puts me off running sun in UU, purely because it feels like every move is filler.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Nature Power
- Horn Leech

This set is a beast in the sun, It feels like scarfchomp in UU, with choice band it reaches 490 attack and can OHKO chansey with either frustration or recover and easily 2HKO slowbro with horn leech, not to mention your opponent might predict an SD and have something die.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Nature Power
- Horn Leech

This set is a beast in the sun, It feels like scarfchomp in UU, with choice band it reaches 490 attack and can OHKO chansey with either frustration or recover and easily 2HKO slowbro with horn leech, not to mention your opponent might predict an SD and have something die.
Nature Power and Jump Kick are a tad obsolete, why not run something like Megahorn or even Wild Bolt for a bit better coverage if going the CB route? Maybe I'm missing some huge threat though..

Moltres
Modest/ Timid
252 Spe Atk 252 Spe/ 4 hp
@ life orb/ choice items
- Fire blast/ flamethrower
- air slash
- solarbeam/ hp ice/ hp electric
- agility/ flame charge
Many people are forgetting Moltres. Right of the bat it has higher attacking stats than charizard and better 90/90/85 bulk. It also has roost to heal itself instead of Charizard's solar power draining its health away. However, Charizard does has some advantages though. As long as the sun is up, it is already hitting harder and is faster. But, Moltres has more viable sets and would last much longer than the fire starter. And don't forget, Solar power Charizard isn't even released yet. I hope this pokemon does not drop from a uu suspect last gen to nu this gen because Moltres is a beast in the sun. Any suggestions/ thoughts?

Solar power charizard is released, albeit only male charizard (illegal with dragon pulse)
drought is overpowered currently. Nothing can survive CB victini V-create/CS charizard fire blast. Flash fire users are usually KOed by this two pokes other attacks.
Sunny team are not necessary fragile. Tangrowth has neat physical defence and can hit very hard

Murkrow, prankster, raindance.
The easiest way to shut down drought. That is unless Tornados drops down to UU anytime soon as he will officially spell the end of drought.

Victreebel might be useful too for Mixed sweeping:

Victreebel: @ Life Orb
252 Attack / 152 Spe / 104 SpA
(+Attack, - SpD)

Weather Ball
Hidden Power Ice
Leaf Blade
Sucker Punch / Sleep Powder

Sucker Punch makes it usable outside of Sun as well as able to KO foes like Alakazam that think their Speed protects them, and Hidden Power Ice makes it able to deal with Flygon, Gligar, etc. Weather Ball helps it handle Steels, Ice, Grass, & Bug and Leaf Blade is obviously STAB for Waters, Rock, and Ground.

(+Attack, - SpD)

Weather Ball
Hidden Power Ice
Leaf Blade

Sucker Punch makes it usable outside of Sun as well as able to KO foes like Alakazam that think their Speed protects them, and Hidden Power Ice makes it able to deal with Flygon, Gligar, etc. Weather Ball helps it handle Steels, Ice, Grass, & Bug and Leaf Blade is obviously STAB for Waters, Rock, and Ground.
Thinking of nearly the same set and was going to include Growth in place of HP Ice but HP ice can take care of flying threats and dragons I suppose.

Naughty seems fine but is Naive better? I was thinking of running a bit more speed since your currently only going to be at about base 110 speed with Chlorophyll activated.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

(+Attack, - SpD)

Weather Ball
Hidden Power Ice
Leaf Blade

Why not Power Whip?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)