Dry Desert (OU Sandstorm Team)

Name: Dozer
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 SpD
Move Set: Stealth Rock, Slack-Off, Eathquake, Roar​

Dozer's job is to come out, set up Stealth Rocks then either Earthquake or Switch out to something more useful. In the event that he comes up later during the battle, he'll be responsible for causing residual damage through Sandstorm and Stealth Rock abuse.

Name: Screech
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spe
Move Set: Roost, Taunt, Earthquake, Stone Edge​

Screech takes advantage of Sandstorm through its Sand Veil ability. That combined with Roost and Taunt make it a very annoying pokemon to get rid of. Earthquake is for a reliable stab and Stone Edge provides the needed coverage.​

Name: Mirage
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Adamant
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Move Set: Earthquake, Outrage, Fire Blast, U-Turn​

Mirage is very important to this team because of its ability to revenge kill so many pokemon. After entry hazards and sandstorm, not much stands up to it's attacks. Aside from its offensive abilities, Mirage also makes good usage of its typing and ability.​

Name: Sentinel
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid
EVs: 28 HP/12 Def/252 SpA/216 Spe
Move Set: Thunder Bolt, Substitute, Hidden Power Grass, Thunder Wave

Sentinel is here to deal with bulky water pokemon such as Suicune, Gyarados, and Swapert. It also serves the dual role of getting rid of Pokemon like Scissor and crippling potential sweepers with Thunder Wave.

Name: Fang
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
Item: Chople Berry
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Move Set: Dragon Dance, Stone Edge, Crunch, Ice Punch​

Fang first acts as a second means of using Sandstorm in case the opponent carries a weather attack, although not likely. Fang's main purpose is a late game sweeper - a job which he does very well. He doesn't have to worry about being KO'd before he sets up as much as he does from Revenge Killers and priority attacks. Chople Berry helps deal with the commonly deployed Fighting Type attacks. I chose that over Barbiri Berry because Magnezone should be able to get rid Steel Pokemon. Ice Punch provides a ton of coverage that the team requires such as Grass and Ground.​

Name: Oasis
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Impish
EVs: 240 HP/160 Def/76 SpD/32 Spe
Move Set: Iron Head, U-Turn, Wish, Thunder Punch​

Oasis serves as support for the team. It can be used to make flinch a lot of slower pokemon which, when combined with Sandstorm, becomes really annoying really fast. Then there is U-Turn to Wish which is used to help the team's longevity and further abuse Sandstorm. The final attack is Thunder Punch which is there for coverage as well as the 20% chance of paralysis that can be combined with Iron Head.​

Any help is greatly appreciate. I am trying to stick with only Ground, Rock, and Steel Pokemon.​

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just because you are running a Sandstorm team does not mean every member of your team must be immune to Sandstorm. As a consequence of this, your team is very weak to special attacks, and also any water attacks (or even ground attacks.)

Since this is a stall team, I think it could benefit from more entry hazards. Therefore I would suggest a Forretress on your team, over Magnezone, with Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

To give you something of a special defender, you could try a Latias, more specifically a Scarf Latias, over Flygon. This will help to cover Mence and Gyarados better, as well as Infernape, and give your team a resistance to water-type moves. You could even try to put a blissey on your team, for example over Jirachi, as it has much better specially defensive capabilities, and can provide wish support just the same.

I would suggest the following moveset on Tyranitar: DD, Fire Punch, Crunch, Stone Edge. This gives you almost unresisted coverage in OU, and can OHKO Forretress and Scizor. The only thing you miss out on by not having Ice punch is Gliscor. If you take off Magnezone you should use babiri berry for obvious reasons.

Finally I would suggest replacing Stone Edge, which will be very weak and only really any use on the switch, for U-turn or Toxic on Gliscor. These will allow you to avoid double switches, whilst racking up minor damage, and to beat stall, respectively.

Good luck

(Sorry, I know this rate was a bit lazy)

I really suggest you change Flygons nature to jolly. Dragon dance Salamence really wrecks this team OHKOing just about everyone. This will at least grant you a speed tie.

Hey what's up Excell.

Your team currently have 3 pokemon weak to ground and water, so you definitly need to change some things, so lets see.

Hippowdon: Well what I see about this is just it sets up Stealth rock, I find this pokemon very useless in your team because there's currently 3 things on your team that can learn Stealth Rock and 2 of them are walls. So what I see you can do is just drop the Hippo it's not working for your team at all other then just setting up SR. So you should replace Hippo with the current Gliscor you have on right now, and just change Stone Edge into Stealth Rock.

Gliscor: Since I already changed the gliscor to the lead you're missing a pokemon here. Now lets fix the problem on the team that I see is huge, you had 3 pokemon weak to water and you had nothing in your team to resist it, that's not good at all. So what pokemon I think that'll fit your team well is Vaporeon, Double wishers help on a team completly fine. So when someone is using a bulky water you can go out to this vaporeon and it'll wall it for days. Now here's the EVs and moveset that you'll be using on the team.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
Moveset: Surf, Wish, Protect, Hidden Power Electric

Pretty much self explanatory, Surf is for heatran, tyranitar, gliscor etc. Wish is for recovery and helping out your team. Hidden Power Electric is for Gyarados and other water types.

Flygon: One of my favorite pokemon, fits your team greatly, since it'll revenge kill Salamence if it tries to have a dragon dance, you can hope it does due the the speed tie, but I don't find that a big problem since most mence carry outrage, so you can just switch out to a steel type you currently have and revenge kill it.

Magnezone: I'm definite you might want to change this pokemon since you don't need this pokemon, since it just adds the earth weakness and Scizor doesn't do a major amount of hurt to your team so I think it'll be fine if you change it. what I noticed in your team is that everything is fine to sand storm, you don't need that you can have some stuff that are hit by sandstorm since it doesn't make much of a difference. What I find on your team that'll have great synergy is rotom. It removes the ground weakness that you have, which is really helpful and since I think you need a good Sp.attacker im going to give you a boosting sweeper set, fits your team quite fine.

Rotom-H @ leftovers
Nature: Timid
128 HP / 168 SpA / 212 Spe
Moveset: Charge Beam, Subsitute, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt

Charge Beam is for getting the Sp.attack raise and having a possible sweep, Subsitute is not to get hurt by status or tricked. Shadow Ball is just a decent stab move, both that in thunderbolt could hit anything in the OU metagame. Meaning nothing could resist both moves.

Tyranitar: You need this pokemon, but im not really too fond of the moveset since Tyranitar isn't that great of a sweeper but due to todays metagame it's a great revenge killer and I don't really see anything on your team that could revenge killer Rotom or Latias after Rotom is dead, so Ttar can definitly help your team so I think you might want to change it to the popular choice scarf to outspeed Rotoms, Gengar, Latias, and Starmies without a choice scarf. So here's the moveset and EVs you might want to be using.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Moveset: Crunch, Pursuit, Superpower, Stone Edge

Crunch is for Gengar, Rotom appliance, Latias, Starmie. Pursuit if for any pokemon you see definitly switching out this is more for the types who are weak to dark, because since you have a choice scarf it won't be doing major amount of damage. Superpower is for other Tyranitars Heatran Blisseys etc. Lastly stone Edge is for any flying type like Salamence, Gyarados etc.

Jirachi: I'm sure don't you have to change much since I like double wishers on a team it can be very useful. But I don't like your current moveset since you already have vaporeon to take care of water types I think you need to replace thunder punch into either Body slam or Thunder wave to help Iron head flinch or the other players pokemon getting paralyzed. Other then that keep the Jirachi.

Good luck on your Sandstorm team and I hoped my analysis helped you out Excell.

you currently suffer a major problem against water type pokemon, and to an extent ground.
i'd recommend giving Gliscor bight powder instead of Leftovers (in case of item clause), that way, it can exploit sand veil to its fullest potential (considering as you have both sandstreamers).
Also, you are weak to Sp attacks (water!), so either change Jirachi from impish to careful, or toy with the idea of possibly using Cradily as a Sp wall., and getting rid of Magnezone, that way, you have a water and ground counter via seed bomb/energy ball

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)