Dual Weather Team Prototype

Before I describe this team, know that if you are going to present criticism, make it constructive please.

Castform @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forecast
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Spe / 136 SAtk / 44 SDef
Timid (+Spe/-Def)
-Sunny Day
-Rain Dance
-Weather Ball
-Thunder Wave

While this lead may seem strange, it guarantees a great start for whichever weather related threat I choose to switch in. Ideally, though, it can also paralyze some thing with T-Wave or OHKO with a powered-up Weather Ball against common weather leads. (WB in sun OHKOs Snover and WB in rain is a guaranteed 2HKO against standard Hippopotas). Even though the sash is not always useful, it at least guarantees me to get weather up against Leads with CC like Pinsir or Hariyama. The only important stat on this set is Speed, so 252 EVs is required, along with a Timid nature. The rest of the EVs go into SAtk to do damage with WB, and SDef to survive a Snover Blizzard, along with the HP EVs necessary for Castform to hit 300 HP. This set is great for this team because it is guaranteed to create momentum for the next poke to switch in.

Rapidash @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 8 HP / 88 Atk / 252 Spe / 160 Satk
Rash (+SAtk/-SDef)
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Flare Blitz
-HP Ground / Hypnosis

This poke is the wall-breaker that is needed for this team to have any chance of beating walls like Milotic, Bastiodon, Chansey, etc. Rapidash is a great candidate for this job because of its high Speed, good STAB options, and the ability to hit hard from both ends of the spectrum. These traits make Life Orb a great option for this set. You could also use Heat rock to extend Sunny Day for the horsey and Eggy. These three moves provide coverage only resisted by Altaria and Moltres, which allows Rapidsah to land a powerful hit on any pokemon that tries to switch in. If you are very worried about these 2 pokemon, you can trade coverage with HP Ground for a chance to shut down counters with Hypnosis. The given EV spread attains Max Speed while maintaining good offensive strength with both of its primary moves, as well as HP Ground.

Exeggutor @ Muscle Band
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant (+Atk/-SAtk) / Naughty (+Atk/-SDef)
-SD
-Seed Bomb
-Zen Headbutt / HP Fire
-Explosion

Eggy combines with Rapidash and the upcoming superstar of my team to form the Sun-core of my team. This set tends to catch opponents of guard as people tend to switch in Chansey as I SD, leaving them in a bad position. The primary problem with this set is that it is completely walled by Steel types, allowing you to replace Zen Headbutt with HP Fire and Change the nature to Naughty or Lonely to not hinder your SAtk. The EVs on this set are the standard for physical sweepers: Max Atk/Spe with a little bit in HP.

Now for the star of this entire Team:

Manectric @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SAtk
Modest (+Satk/-Atk) / Timid (+Spe/-Atk)
-Thunder
-Overheat
-HP Ice
-Switcheroo

This absolute beast is the center of my team, with 310 Speed and over 500 SAtk with Specs. The biggest advantage of this set, though, is that it benefits from sun with a double power Overheat, and rain with a 100% accurate Thunder. Since this guy is so vital to this team, it is crucial that you keep him alive for as long as possible. Manectric's offensive prowess is further boosted by the fact that this move como is only resisted by Lanturn, who is obliterated by Eggy and Rapidash in the sun. Once your opponent realizes you have specs, you should use this to your advantage to bluff him into swithing into a special wall so you can cripple it with specs. Blissey in particular does not take to kindly to being Tricked Specs.
The only change I would make is possibly change his nature to Timid to outspeed all Base 100s and neutral Base 105s.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant (+Atk/-SAtk)
-Aqua Tail
-Aqua Jet
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor

This is simply a standard rain-sweeper Kabutops with one crucial change: Aqua Tail. Despite being slightly less accurate, it provides the crucial power needed to 2HKO some mighty walls, such as Max HP/Def Cress.It also has the frightening possibility of KOing standard Physical Wall Steelix, making it an etremely dangerous threat to any poke. I am also able to tackle water resists such as Ludicolo and Venusaur with X-Scissor. Kabtops functions primarily as a late game sweeper on this team, but it can swap roles with Rapidash when the need arises. Kabutops also shares great synergy with Manectric as the electric dog lures many counters weak to water, like ScarfPerior and Donphan. Because this is a standard rain-sweeper, the EVs are simply the standard ones for a normal Kabutops.

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 HP / 56 Def / 216 SDef
Impish (+Def/-SAtk)
-Dragon Claw
-Rain Dance
-Roost
-Toxic

Again, this is just a standard support set with Rain Dance added in. The reason I chose Altaria over another Rain abuser is that Altaria has the handy advantage of resisting both weather boosted types on this team (Fire and Water), which makes it harder for the opponent to take advantage of the weather. This also means that opposing Altaria represent a big problem for my team, since my only counter is HP Ice from Manectric. This Altaria is also bulky enough to win 1v1 battles with other Altarias due to Toxic-Roost and high defenses.

If you have any moveset changes or different pokes you think i should try, feel free to tell me. Thanks for reading my RMT also. :)

By The New Guy

I have to admit I've never seen a team like this, and I like that. I've never seen a team that could use Both SD and RD on a team and run with it. And you even have pokemon of different types so they can't be easily sweeped. I like how you use Manectric and I think Timid would go better since you'll be using moves with such high power and you'll need to hard and fast. All in all it looks good. I'd give it a 5/5, though I don't know if my opinion counts for anything, since I focus on Ground, Rock, and Steel types, so I'll wish you good luck newguy1717.

Have you thought about replacing Leftovers on Altaria with Damp Rock? Since you are going to set-up rain dance and and switch to your sweepers the 6% from 1 turn isn't going to affect Altaria much and besisdes it has Roost.

I'm assuming that Muscle Band is to bluff the opponents a choice item, but that's nullified due to swords dance. I think you're better off with something like Lum Berry to prevent random status, or leftovers.

And like the other two said, put timid over modest on manectric, and damp rock over lefties on altaria. I would go for Waterfall over Aquatail, but that's just me. Cress isn't allowed in UU so your argument on Aquatail over waterfall is weakened there.

Otherwise, you're pretty good as far as surprise value goes. However, I can see that your team is weak against set-up pokes who sport high speed and stat-up moves but whatever.

Castform's stats are rock bottom, even for UU. OHKOing Hippopotas or Snover isn't something to be proud of either. I'd suggest using this Ambipom over him.

Ambipom@Damp Rock
Technician
Jolly
-Fake Out
-Return/Taunt
-Rain Dance
-U-turn
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE

Rapidash isn't a good choice as a mixed sweeper in UU because there are better choices called Entei and Arcanine. I'd suggest a LO Entei.

Entei@Life Orb
Pressure
Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Extremespeed
-Solarbeam/HP Grass
EVs: 252 ATK/ 4 SPA/ 252 SPE

On Kabutops Aqua Tail just isn't reliable enough to replace Waterfall. Can you tell me what you need Aqua Tail to KO? Otherwise it's just a bit useless.
Oh and Kabutops doesn't need to take out max HP/max Def Cresselia because she's in BL. You don't need to mention Blissey either in Manectric's analysis because she's in OU.

This last question isn't meant to be critical but have you even tested this team? It just doesn't seem very "stable".

Castform's stats are rock bottom, even for UU. OHKOing Hippopotas or Snover isn't something to be proud of either. I'd suggest using this Ambipom over him.

Ambipom@Damp Rock
Technician
Jolly
-Fake Out
-Return/Taunt
-Rain Dance
-U-turn
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE

Rapidash isn't a good choice as a mixed sweeper in UU because there are better choices called Entei and Arcanine. I'd suggest a LO Entei.

Entei@Life Orb
Pressure
Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Extremespeed
-Solarbeam/HP Grass
EVs: 252 ATK/ 4 SPA/ 252 SPE

On Kabutops Aqua Tail just isn't reliable enough to replace Waterfall. Can you tell me what you need Aqua Tail to KO? Otherwise it's just a bit useless.
Oh and Kabutops doesn't need to take out max HP/max Def Cresselia because she's in BL. You don't need to mention Blissey either in Manectric's analysis because she's in OU.

This last question isn't meant to be critical but have you even tested this team? It just doesn't seem very "stable".

Well, as far as Ambipom, I need a lead that can put up both weather effects. I also noted those OHKOs because those are both auto-weather leads, which would mess up my strategy. Castform's stats arent that bad either, they are all base 70.

I started with Arcanine, but i chose Rapidash because I like it better.

I also played over 25 matches with this team before I posted this team.

But you are right about Entei or Arcanine, since they are both bulkier than Rapidash.

I'm assuming that Muscle Band is to bluff the opponents a choice item, but that's nullified due to swords dance. I think you're better off with something like Lum Berry to prevent random status, or leftovers.

And like the other two said, put timid over modest on manectric, and damp rock over lefties on altaria. I would go for Waterfall over Aquatail, but that's just me. Cress isn't allowed in UU so your argument on Aquatail over waterfall is weakened there.

Otherwise, you're pretty good as far as surprise value goes. However, I can see that your team is weak against set-up pokes who sport high speed and stat-up moves but whatever.

The only reason Eggy has Muscle Band is because i couldnt think of what item to give him. Suggestion would be nice, you other commenters.

As far as stat-uppers with high speed, i can revenge with Eggy in sun and Aqua Jet from Kabutops

Base 70 not bad? >.>
I'm still not convinced that Castform's good. Its stats are awful and if you're looking for a suicide weather setter-upper Electrode is much better because it can actually take something out.

Oh and choosing Rapidash just because you like it better is absurd.

Ambipom doesn't need to set up both rain and sunny day. If it does then it'll be trying to do much at once. Though Muscle Band might help Eggy bluff a choice item, it's still not worth the lack of power that it gives compared to Life Orb. You could consider giving Eggy sunny day over SD and turn it into a standard sun sweeper.

Yea we can't use Entei, (i.e. the set) yet, it's not on the Smogon Ladder. I think that trying to use one weather is hard enough because once its over the other team can start to punish you, so could you please try to make it one weather type i suggest rain because it is much more viable, but if you feel that your team can beat other teams with two weathers GL with that.

Well, I can certainly say this is a unique team. I'm not going to tell you to just go to one weather or the other since if you do that, you'll pretty much be making an entirely new team altogether.

The theme of your team is for it to be able to use both sun and rain, and I don't think your team choices capitalize on that. Rapidash, Exeggcutor, and Kabutops are too reliant on either the Sun or the Rain, and if you've set up the opposing weather, you either have to waste a turn changing the weather, (Rapidash) is much less effective without the right weather (Exeggutor), or is severely hampered by the wrong weather (Kabutops). Consider changing those three for more mons like your Manetric, who can make use of both the sun and rain or at least isn't bothered by one weather or the absence of a particular weather.

I think a Leafeon would work on this team, in Exeggutor's place. While you do lose out on Chlorophyll, Leafeon has higher attack and a much higher speed stat meaning it won't be dead slow in other weather. Sun will give it status protection and rain will mitigate its fire weakness. While it certainly can be an offensive threat by itself with base 110 attack and moves like Swords Dance and Leaf Blade, Leafeon can also provide some much needed team support. It can Baton Pass Swords Dance to your physical Pokémon, or it can provide bulk and healing with Wish.

Speaking of switching, you might want to invest in a Rapid Spinner, as entry hazards are really going to do a number on you. Consider either Hitmontop or Claydol for your team. Hitmontop can function in either weather and and provide some valuable Fighting type moves, which can be useful for breaking through troublesome walls. While Claydol won't like rain boosted water attacks, it can also set up Stealth Rock to net your team KOs more easily and provides another ground immunity, as half your current team is weak against ground. You're going to really, really want to protect Manetric from unwanted Earthquakes and Earth Powers.

One thing I noticed though, is anything with Encore is going to have a field day with your team. The Clefables and Jumpluffs of the world will love to switch in and Encore one of your many status and weather moves, allowing them and their team mates to set up. I'd try to reduce the number of status moves you have on your team to avoid this.

That's really all I have, sorry I can't make more suggestions.

For future reference:

DO NOT TELL ME TO ONLY USE ONE TYPE OF WEATHER

It ruins the whole point of this team.

Also, I would like to thank all the forum members who have given me constructive criticism and ideas to me. (Moe1216, Shining Kestral, Nitro96, etc.)

It's been said, but I strongly recommend changing your lead. There's nothing good about Castform except maybe his movepool. I'd suggest using a bulky lead that can repeatedly come in and set up both RD and SD. A Thick Fat Hariyama fits nicely because it resists those boosted fire attacks, and has a strong enough STAB move to scare away certain Pokes for a free turn of setup. I'd suggest a set that is extremely bulky from both sides to maximize the number of times he can successfully set up weather.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Impish
EV's: 6 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
-Rain Dance
-Sunny Day
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch/Payback

Oh boy *scratches head* I recall someone mentioning or posting one of these teams a while back, but I'm not sure how that panned out. Firstly, I'd love to see some logs of this in action, just for the sake of it haha. Now, on to what we have.

I'll start with what I know, and make a suggestion for Exeggutor:

Exeggutor @ Muscle Band / Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant (+Atk/-SAtk)
- SD
- Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Low Kick / Explosion

+2 Low Kick nets a OHKO on Registeel, who threatens you with Thunder Wave either forcing a switch or ending your streak (it even has a 46% chance to OHKO Steelix with Life Orb!). I'd choose Life Orb for pure sweeping power, since none of those +2 attacks will take out an unscathed Chansey or even Moltres (which is likely as you don't have Stealth Rock).

Kabutops wants Swords Dance, else it's not sweeping too much. Unboosted X-Scissor, for example, isn't doing enough to defensive grass-types and is forced out. Admittedly you do have the synergy of grass- and fire-types here to take hits grass hits, but in the likely event of Stealth Rock being up, you'll quickly be worn down.

Castform seems like an appropriate lead on a sentimental basis, but I think it's a little impractical and not very threatening. I'd opt for something like Mismagius:

Mismagius @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Spe / 136 SAtk / 44 SDef
Timid (+Spe/-Def)
-Sunny Day
-Rain Dance
-Wil-o-wisp / Destiny Bond
-Shadow Ball / Destiny Bond

(Halfway through posting that I realised it didn't have Weather Ball, though I thought it did haha. Still, I liked the set)

Or Drifblim can run a similar set, with Weather Ball/Explosion in the mix (Focus Sash + Unburden = Fast Explosion). Ludicolo is another Pokemon who can benefit from both weather types, getting a speed boost in the rain, or access to Synthesis and SolarBeam in the sun. Just some suggestions. Like everyone, this team style is way over my head haha.

Good luck!

So,

I'm not gonna post much asides from this.
But if you are dead set on a lead who can utilize both weather effects, I offer you Ambipom which you may have gotten off on the wrong foot with. You could utilize a set like this:

@ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly / Ability: Technician
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
- Fake Out / Taunt
- Sunny Day
- Rain Dance
- U-Turn / Taunt

With Ambi's great speed, you're mostly guaranteed to get one of the two weather status' up. You can run Fake Out, as to make a descent revenge killer later on, but Taunt will enable you to shut down set up attempts of other leads. U-Turn will allow you to scout after setting up your weather so you can always switch in a Pokemon with an advantage, or at least try to. Other wise you don't have to use Taunt and alternatively you can run Thunder Wave over one of the moves. Up to you.

I hope this play style works for you, because it's beyond me. Hope my advice helped and good luck.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has posted constructive criticism or praise on this wall. For the record, I have gone with the Hariyama set suggested and it works very well. I also tested Ambipom, but opponents were too prepared for it as a lead.

Special Shout out to hi5er, who just gave me the chance to create an epic warstory by creating a battle log that spans 20 pages!

Special message to HART4FLOON:

If all you are going to do is tell me i cant use pokes i like, then dont comment.

Everyone else, continue with the CONSTRUCTIVE critism and ideas, please

Nice team, the strategy is unique. I think the actual advantages of running dual weather on a team should be noted, so people don't just say "use one weather blah blah blah". Dual weather is great to screw over other weather teams, firstly. It's also more versatile than pure weather teams because they can't just use one Pokemon to counter you. One nitpick is that rapidash is completely useless in rain, which could be frustrating if he is needed to take care of something. I would suggest giving rapidash Hidden power water, which would give it a good attack against fire types and ground types (in rain) and give it an option against moltres. Is hidden power ground needed for any important KOs or just coverage, because a neutral hidden power isnt going to do much damage. hope i was helpful! :D

One thing that screwed me up was your Exeggutor; first of all, I couldn't figure out whether you meant Sunny Day or Swords Dance by "SD" until I read the analysis. It makes a big difference.

Other than that, I like the theme of the team in general. I would still back up the option of replacing Rapidash with Arcanine/Entei (Arcanine especially because he has Morning Sun) and because they're far bulkier in general. Still, if you prefer Rapidash, there's no stopping you there.

One more thing: Instead of Exeggutor, consider Shiftry. Shiftry's speed is much higher, and his Attack stat is higher than Exeggutor's. In addition, Shiftry retains the ability to either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, making for extremely deadly sweepers on both ends of the spectrum. If you're confident in your abilities to keep Sunny Day up, try a set something like:

Shiftry@Life Orb
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power Fire/Extrasensory

The last move is mainly coverage. Fire hits hard in sun, but Extrasensory hits Fighting-types that would hit you Super-effectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)