Dugtrio (GP 2/2)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
scarletnova said:
Isn't Shadow Claw a better choice than Night Slash? It has lets resists and have the same coverage. The Normal immunity does not matter since the opponent could not just switch to a Normal type due to Arena Trap.
You could say the same about resists. The issue is really only if Dugtrio is choice band-locked after getting a KO, in which case it is probably better to hit fighting-types with a resisted move rather than allowing normal-types a completely free turn.

You could say the same about resists. The issue is really only if Dugtrio is choice band-locked after getting a KO, in which case it is probably better to hit fighting-types with a resisted move rather than allowing normal-types a completely free turn.
Considering that, won't being Sucker Punch locked mean the same thing? Free stat-upper switch in?

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is something of a liability, but it is worth it. The issue with shadow claw is that it provides no other advantage whatsoever.

edit: Why would you run it? There is no circumstance in which it matters when you are using a life orb.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Night Slash gives Justified Pokemon like Cobalion a free boost, and that's not something we want, either. But then again, Shadow Claw vs. Night Slash is such a small matter there's no point arguing about this. It's a bit like arguing about Recover vs. Roost. Just have one up on the set, the other in Other Options.

without further ado this is done. jc i'll keep what you said in mind next time I write an analysis - I hadn't written one in a while I guess :p

Actually, Night Slash gives Justified Pokemon like Cobalion a free boost, and that's not something we want, either. But then again, Shadow Claw vs. Night Slash is such a small matter there's no point arguing about this. It's a bit like arguing about Recover vs. Roost. Just have one up on the set, the other in Other Options.
The only perk of using Night Slash in UU is that frail Normal-types can't set up on you as well... But the only Normal-type with set-up moves that comes to my mind is Porygon-Z.

But as opposed to OU, where Virizion AND Terrakion roam, and Normal-types are virtually non-existent, UU has a few viable Normal-types. So Shadow Claw is perfectly acceptable. Also, Cobalion is gonna set up on you regardless of if you're locked into Shadow Claw or Night Slash. You have to switch no matter what (unless, of course, you're Life Orb'd).

-Zane

P.S. In regards to the "support" set, I just don't see much of a perk to using it. Aerodactyl is much more threatening (and also boasting an arguably better immunity to Ground-type attacks, rather than Electric-type attacks), even without a Choice Band or Life Orb, where as Dugtrio can barely scratch anything without an item boost... And being good at launching a Stealth Rock is pretty much true of any fast Pokémon with a Focus Sash. I don't know. It just doesn't make sense anyways, with Team Preview, that anybody would send out anything weak to Dugtrio as a lead. Most players are smart enough to hold on to their Victini 'til Dugtrio's felled. Also, I think TechniTop can COMPLETELY ruin the set... and Hitmontop is very common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)