Electivire

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

Electivire
Code:
[B]#466 Electivire[/B]
Typing: Electric
Ability 1: 
   Motor Drive
    Increases the user's speed one stage when hit by an Electric attack.
Ability 2: (Dream World)
   Vital Spirit
    The user can not fall asleep. Rest will fail when used.

HP:  75
Atk: 123
Def: 67
SpA: 95
SpD: 85
Spe: 95

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
-

[B][U]Level-Up Moves:[/U][/B]
Lv1: Fire Punch
Lv1: Leer
Lv1: Low Kick
Lv1: Quick Attack
Lv1: Thundershock
Lv6: Thundershock
Lv11: Low Kick
Lv16: Swift
Lv21: Shock Wave
Lv26: Light Screen
Lv32: Electric Ball
Lv38: ThunderPunch
Lv44: Discharge
Lv50: Thunderbolt
Lv56: Screech
Lv62: Thunder
Lv68: Giga Impact

Electric Ball: Electric Special PP: 10 / Power: --- / Accuracy: 100
Electric Ball's power increases depending on the user's speed over the opponent's speed, capping at 150 BP (supposedly a reverse Gyro Ball).

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM29 - Psychic
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethower
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM47 - Ankle Sweep
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM72 - Volt Charge
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM78 - Smooth Over
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength

Troll: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

Ankle Sweep: Fighting Physical PP: 20 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Decreases opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

Smooth Over: Ground Physical PP: 20 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Decreases the opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

Wild Bolt: Electric Physical PP: 15 / Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100
The user recieves recoil damage equal to 25% of the damage done by this attack.

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Karate Chop
Barrier
Rolling Kick
Meditate
Cross Chop
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
DynamicPunch
Feint
Hammer Arm
Focus Punch
"NoobVire? Are you serious? LOLOL" - the average reaction to the Pokemon's name "Electivire". However, Gamefreak finally gave mercy to the competative reject by giving it a godsend for it: a powerful physical STAB move in Wild Bolt.

• Wild Bolt: 90 Base Power and 100 Accuracy is quite a step up over 75 / 100, even if Wild Bolt does give the user 25% recoil damage after using the attack. Additionally, since you're using your base 123 Attack stat, you're dishing out way more damage than Thunderbolt ever did.
  • Changes to Rotom-A: With the Rotom Formes losing their Ghost-typing, they are bound to be less common than they have been in DPP (and the best forme, Rotom-W, is only neutral to Wild Bolt). This means Electivire's most common check can be eliminated with only some prior damage.
  • Great Super Effective coverage: While people used to be able to say "hitting super effectively doesn't mean jack if you still can't KO," this is an even greater asset for Electivire in BW than it has ever been. If a weakened Pokemon can take your powerful physical STAB move, then you probably have another move that will hit it for quite a bit of damage.
Foreshadowing...

Electivire @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk) or Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
~ Wild Bolt
~ Ice Punch
~ Cross Chop
~ Fire Punch/Earthquake/Meditate

Set up some Spikes for this guy, switch in on an Electric-type attack, and do what you can. Wild Bolt + Ice Punch gives great coverage, and Cross Chop rounds it out to hit everything in the game for at least neutral damage other than Shedinja (keep in mind that Ice Punch also OHKOs Salamence, Garchomp, Flygon, Gliscor, Ononokusu (assumably), etc). Fire Punch is capable of eliminating all of the Bug/Steel Pokemon that might get in your way, while Earthquake assists against other Electric-types, hits most Steel types stronger than Fire Punch (Metagross), and also always OHKOs Heatran, along with most of its other Fire-type brethren. Meditate can be used to boost Electivire's attack in case you see the opportunity to use it. The choice of Adamant vs Jolly will depend on how the speed tiers turn out, mainly.

All in all, Electivire got quite a boost this generation. However, everything around it got a boost as well, although that doesn't mean Electivire should go unnoticed. What do you guys think - will Electivire have a chance to shine this time around, or will it continue to be the "NoobMon" that it has always been acclaimed to be?

i dont think that Wild Bolt is as good as Thunder Punch. Sure TP is lacking in power, but with Electivire has very low def, so the reduction in health through wild bolt can easily tackle down its chances of survival.

I do think, it did a boost with with Wold Bolt, and depending on how rechargeable battery works, it doesn't look like it's changed much. It has to now deal with even more threats than before, and it's dream world ability vital spirit isn't really helping it much.

i dont think that Wild Bolt is as good as Thunder Punch. Sure TP is lacking in power, but with Electivire has very low def, so the reduction in health through wild bolt can easily tackle down its chances of survival.
Your logic is flawed, but your facts are right- he does indeed have very low defense. That is exactly why he needs Wild Bolt, because he can't afford to let whatever he hits with it survive. It is also substantially more powerful, considering ThunderPunch does 50.5% - 60.4% to 252/252+ Suicune, while Wild Bolt does 60.4% - 71.8%. He will always 2HKO with Wild Bolt, but not necessarily with ThunderPunch. Still... Electivire is weak. His main problems weren't trying to muscle through Suicune or Skarmory, but rather Swampert, Hippowdon, Celebi, Rotom-A, etc.

@ OP: You have "Volt Absorb" as its ability in the set, it should be Motor Drive.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh. Evire is such a cool Pokemon that it's a shame he has a few crippling flaws that keep him from being a decent sweeper in high-level play.

Aside from the most obvious flaw, like the prediction hassle of netting a Motor Drive boost, walls and faster Scarfers will still keep him at bay. We're talking massive mofos like Hippowdon (who I predict being more popular than ever due to the new Sand sweepers) and Swampert (something you'd really want HP Grass for).

I think it would have helped a lot if he had at least 100 base speed. The ubiquity of Scarf Flygon last gen was the nail in the coffin for him and probably the biggest reason I could no longer justify using him.

Since most of his appeal last gen came from the aesthetic value that gravitated inexperienced players toward him, he's almost certain to be UU now with all the new Pokemon stealing his thunder (lol). I'm iffy on the prospect of our current UU handling him, but it appears there will be some stronger Pokemon, both new and old, making their home there as well, so I predict he'll fit there quite nicely.

Wild bolt upped luxray, but rechargable battery upped electivire. nuff said.

wild bolt helps electivire if you like the risk, but if not thunder punch will be fine.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
The original calculations were with LO and +0. Then I accidentaly changed them to LO and +1 (for the RB boost). They should be correct now (+1 and no LO boost), let me know if I left any mistakes.

You still cannot best certain walls like Hippowdown and Swampert without packing an HP. This means you give up Mediate, Fire Punch, or Earthquake, all of which mean something else can wall you. Things like Forretress without Fire Punch.

Electvire will still have checks depending on what it packs for coverage. Also, if you use Rechargeable Battery, you lose on on the power boost of Expert Belt if you are forced to show Electvire without coming in on Motor Drive. Insomnia will be gimmicky at best.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
While wild Bolt is a good Boost for Vire it still wont be a that great 123 base attack,95 SpA and 95 base spee is good, but not outstanding he will still fire off SE attacks that fail to OHKO.

Your Calcs aren't that impressive with a +1 atk + atk nature and LO its pretty easy to get KOs on pokemon that doesn´t resist you stab and dont got defensive evs.

With proper support it can be quite threatening, but most of the times the support just isnt worth it, because other Pokemon can do better with less support needed.

I think he will be still OU since he isnt that bad as many people claim him to be, but at 80% of the time there are things that can do better and will do better than Electivire.

Edit: Forgot to ask if these Rechargeable Battery item really works together with Motor Drive, because this could get his niche this Gen

You have volt absorb listed as his ability in the set rather than motor drive.

Wouldnt Earthquake be better than cross chop? When he was using tbolt he needed cross chop to ko blissey, but now that he has wild bolt what does cc offer over eq? EQ has better accuracy, and hits volt absorbers harder. The only thing I could think of is Nattorei (sp?), but you have fire punch for it (I could understand crosschop + meditate).

I like how Electivire gets an improved physical STAB, as the base power of ThunderPunch isn't enough to score KOs most of the time. I wouldn't mind Wild Bolt's recoil damage because it's similar to Take Down's recoil damage, but that damage may add up if Electivire uses Life Orb.

Electivire did get better this Gen, but besides Rotom-A (Rotom-H for the worse) changing it has little extra to defeat its traditional counters. Still, if you manage to net a Rechargeable Battery boost, you could get a nice late-game sweeper! Life Orb might be a safer choice if you can't grab an electric attack, but LO recoil plus move recoil damage will hurt, like PlatinumDude said. Hopefully electric attacks will become more popular for it to abuse.

Oh, and now in Triples other Pokemon can force psuedo-Dragon Dances on him with Discharge (With Rechargeable Battery)!

Lolz Electivire Noob....
Okay Electivire actually didnt get anything to boost it from its current status as OU's littl Nub.He still has those Dammage output issues.The only new addition you see is Wild bolt and in changes of the metagame itself the leaving of Rotom Ghosts.But sadly Electric/Water could still wall you with relative impunity.Theres also the other stuff like Hippo,Pert etc.The bright side is there wasn't any addition in 5th gen that does this job all too well though.And btw the Battery will probably not work because most of the time Ability is given more emphesis and you kind of "Absorb" the electricity so you cant charge your battery as well =P.You shoud'nt put it in there without knowing the correct mecahnics.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hate to break it to you guys but:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3035497&postcount=804

Bulb: Does it grant a (one-time) immunity to Electric moves, in addition to raising SpAttk? Does it raise SpAttk every time the Pokemon is hit by an electric move? Does it work with a Pokemon with Volt Absorb?
Bulb does not grant an immunity to electric moves, and once it's used, it disappears.
Volt Absorb activates before Bulb does, making it have no effect.
(they meant to say Rechargeable battery)

Aside from that... Electivire seems as mediocre as ever in this gen. Higher BP Wild Volt was nice, but he didn't get squat to deal with his old counters. Worse still, a whole slew of pokemon with base speed over 95 were added, making it even harder for Electivire to do his job.

If Electivire wants to succeed, he needs to finally drop into the lower tiers, because he isn't doing anything in OU,

Also, I'd much rather want to use the Zebra over him who boasts an impressive 116 Base speed. (at the cost of 23 Base attack points)

The Zebra has poor offensive coverage in comparison: it's actually so bad that it's restricted to HP and Return. I think Electivire actually outclasses it.

Hate to break it to you guys but:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3035497&postcount=804

(they meant to say Rechargeable battery)

Aside from that... Electivire seems as mediocre as ever in this gen. Higher BP Wild Volt was nice, but he didn't get squat to deal with his old counters. Worse still, a whole slew of pokemon with base speed over 95 were added, making it even harder for Electivire to do his job.

If Electivire wants to succeed, he needs to finally drop into the lower tiers, because he isn't doing anything in OU,

Also, I'd much rather want to use the Zebra over him who boasts an impressive 116 Base speed. (at the cost of 23 Base attack points)
No, there is an item that is called "Bulb" that raises Sp. Atk when hit by a Water type attack. The item "Rechargeable Battery" raises Atk when hit by an Electric attack.

Here are the links from serebii as proof.

Bulb: http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/bulb.shtml

Rechargeable Battery: http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/rechargeablebattery.shtml

EDIT: Bulb raises Sp.Atk when hit by water, not electric.

To be honest, I think with the reputation that Electivire has gained over the past few years, some people would be reluctant, and embarrassed to use him, no matter how good he is in Generation V.

However, I agree with other people, that he probably won't be much better (or worse), than he was in DPP.

Electivire gets great coverage, and has a great Atk stat with a good STAB.

Thats all that is there to 'Vire, you can also pair him up with Gyarados to get the Atk and Spd boost when you have Battery and Motor Drive.

Yeah problem is Electivire has pretty hard counters. Rotom-A can give problems still, even without its Ghost typing, while Swampert, Hippowdon and most bulky mons trouble it.

It isn't thaaat horrible a Pokemon, but those relying on Gyarados or a pure physical set are asking to be disappointed. It's people getting unduly excited over Motor Drive, it's base attack and now Rechargeable Battery that has led to it being misused and the subsequent negative stigma. Electivire can function somewhat as a Scarf user or a mixed sweeper - options which make better use of it in my opinion.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
>_>

I said they mean't to say rechargeable battery.
But yeah the Zebra's movepool is awful. Sorry about that.

>_>

I said they mean't to say rechargeable battery.
But yeah I the Zebra's is awful. Sorry about that.
I read the posts again and yeah, I got mixed up...sorry.

In any case, if Motor Drive is like Volt Absorb, then this idea won't work would it?

It doesn't make too big a difference if you use meditate. +2 atk is 2x. +1 atk and lo is 1.95x. The main difference is losing 10%of your health per turn, but evires already losing health from wildbolt so don't expect it to stay around long anyway.

Too bad it doesn't get cheer up...it could just run adaman ton a mix set with hp grass.

This might end up being evires best set anyway:

Evire@lo
252 speed/252 atk/ 6 sp atk, naughty/lonely
Wild bolt
Ice punch
Hp Grass
Meditate/cc/fire punch

Hits amost grounds and grasses SE. Most electric types are frail anyway. The only problems I can see are steelix, doryuuzu (which is a big prob tbh), lanturn, magnezone, and nattorei.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)