Entei Discussion

SubCM is the best set IMHO. Everything else Entei does gets walled to hell and back by bulky waters. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Slowking, since he's probably the best defensive water type in RU.
Truth. And with Surf/Scald + Slackoff Slowking can be a Major thorn in Entei's side. Check out this beastliness:

120 SpAtk Entei Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Slowking: 22.84% - 26.9%

Additionally, Rhydon does a great job shutting down Entei.

120 SpAtk Entei Hidden Power Grass vs 4 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Rhydon: 45.45% - 54.55%

And the physical sets rarely carry HP Grass but if you DO decide to fill the last slot with HP Grass:

0 SpAtk Entei Hidden Power Grass vs 4 HP/252 SpDef Eviolite Rhydon: 36.36% - 43.18%

Admittedly, that's a bit more damage than Rhydon wants to take but it is, worst case scenario, a 2HKO. Whereas no Entei ever wants to take a STAB powered Earthquake and Rhydon can take physical hits from an Entai, ALL DAY LONG.

Slowking? I think you mean Eviolite Slowbro, which is used more often and counters Entei better (unless it has 252 SpAtk EVs and a boosting nature. I didn't know about Rhydon, I think that those Pokemon are one of the best reasons to carry defensive Grass types like Amoonguss or even more offensive Levitaters like Rotom-C.

Also, Entei has developed a new use - Sableye countering! Yes, that's right, Entei is the only viable physical attacker that can counter the Eye. It can finally switch in on something common, as well... (WoW). Then it just flare blitzes everything to death. As usual. Almost nobody carries one of the Slowmon or Rhydon.

Two things, HuntSaboteur. One, Slowbro is fully evolved (Slowpoke evolves into either Slowbro or Slowking, your choice), so Eviolite doesn't work. Two, it's UU.

What do you mean it can counter Sableye? Can it not do it's job with Entei around? Sableye still carry Toxic and Confuse Ray, meaning that they still can hit Entei, and then just switch out, something Entei doesn't have as much of a luxury of, considering his lack of reliable recovery and SR weakness. Moreover, Trick+Iron Ball. Also, you say it's the only viable physical "counter" to Sableye. What about Water Veil Floatzel? Or Guts Hariyama? Or any Guts poke for that matter? Swellow and Ursaring completely shut down the standard Sableye, without the undesirable SR weakness.

counter != remove completely from the match. All something needs to be a "counter" is that it can switch in and force the enemy to either flee or faint, while not dying in the process. If you switch in on a pokemon and force it out you have successfully countered that pokemon.

Working things out to cause damage to your opponent's team when they are forced to switch, and ultimately forcing them to sac their pokemon when they can't afford to switch is all about good strategy, good prediction, and long-term planning, and has nothing to do with the definition of a counter. Otherwise, the only pokemon that would truly counter anything would be those with trapping abilities.

swellow has sr weakness baka. The only thing there that actually is seen often is Hariyama. Nobody uses Floatzel and I've only seen about 2 Ursaring in 300+ battles. Swellow is a bit niche, it's the poor man's Braviary in that it needs setup.

Entei does "counter" Sableye in that sense - it can switch in on it (WoW) and then hit back (Flare Blitz). Another thing to note about Entei is that Extremespeed's +2 priority is always faster than the +1 granted to non-damagers by Prankster. Sableye cannot do anything to Entei (Toxic is only in the long term and only seriously works on a staller, and Confuse Ray doesn't count as anything which is as likely not to do anything as to do something should not be used as an argument against countering). Generally, if you know an attack from a Pokemon will 1HKO you, don't stay in unless your mon is faster and has an attack that 1HKOs the other mon.

Edit: Sharking, sorry for the mistake. I thought Bro evolved into King and didn't know that Bro was UU. So yes, you did mean Slowking.

Just a quick note to Hunt, +2 extreme speed may out speed prankster but it's not going to help you vs sableye, which I believe is the primary argument.

Entei is a fantastic pokemon. CB just wrecks stuff, it needs careful prediction though to steer away from pokemon like Omastar, Qwilfish and Rhydon. Sub CM is decent, but it needs to find the right time to set up. Entei loses the ability to revenge weakened sweepers in the sub cm set, which is part of the reason Entei is so effective. It is a good way to surprise your usual counters though.

Just a quick note to Hunt, +2 extreme speed may out speed prankster but it's not going to help you vs sableye, which I believe is the primary argument.
I don't know why the Sableye argument's still going on. Give it up, guys. Sableye got banned.

swellow has sr weakness baka. Swellow is a bit niche, it's the poor man's Braviary in that it needs setup.

Entei does "counter" Sableye in that sense - it can switch in on it (WoW) and then hit back (Flare Blitz). Another thing to note about Entei is that Extremespeed's +2 priority is always faster than the +1 granted to non-damagers by Prankster.
Bwahahaha! Entei, now immune to hazards, Protect now set-up, Guts now being removed when you switch, and having enough speed to not need to have a Scarf sucks. ExtremeSpeed now hitting Ghosts and Toxic not hindering you along with recoil and Rocks. Of course, not that it matters anymore because Sableye is banned.

Entei really has just lost its niche in Yanmega leaving and really hasn't recovered too well since.

Entei doesn't need a niche, it's a top-10 threat that is probably the best physical attacker in the tier (I'll settle for second best if the Sharpedo people start to annoy me). Also, you mentioned Rhydon and Omastar - Life Orb HP Grass anyone?

P.S. Ninelol, don't call me Hunt.

Well, Sharpedo's a much better mixed attacker than a physical one; Hydro Pump hits so much harder than Waterfall. I'm a huge Sharpedo person, and I'm admitting that Entei surpasses Sharpedo when it comes to Physical attacking (thanks to the powerful Flare Blitz and the useful ExtremeSpeed).

Well, Sharpedo's a much better mixed attacker than a physical one; Hydro Pump hits so much harder than Waterfall. I'm a huge Sharpedo person, and I'm admitting that Entei surpasses Sharpedo when it comes to Physical attacking (thanks to the powerful Flare Blitz and the useful ExtremeSpeed).
You can't really compare the two. They are both entirely different pokemon. Offensive Entei tries to wall breaker and revenge kill sweepers while Sharpedo is mainly useful for sweeping late game once things are appropriately beaten/remove.

I do agree that Sharpedo is a lot better mixed, I wonder why so many people run physical with max speed ev's...

DTC is correct. I forgot about mixed attackers, and I was NOT comparing the two Pokemon. Entei, as DTC correctly said, is best used as a revenge killer - it can't switch in. On anything. Other than the odd WoW, which is pretty hard to predict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)