Entry Hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that has also had a major effect on hazard use across the gens is the introduction of the all powerful, TEAM PREVIEW.

An example I'd like to draw you to is my Forretress in Ubers tier (I can provide an OU one if needed, but I've been playing Ubers recently). I run Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on this guy, and Team Preview allows me to decide how to play with this guy.

Most of the time, I'll bring him in after something has fainted, onto something that can't 2HKO (eg Kyogre Choice Ice Beam, Dialga after Draco meteor), and depending on what I saw in Team Preview, plan as such:

I see a Lugia, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Rayquaza, or a non-legendary that's part Flying and I think would be a threat? A poison type that could easily soak up my TS if I lay them down? Stealth Rock is a MUST in order to pick off with my scarfers/Extreme-Killer Arceus. Something more oriented towards stall, not too many Steels/Levitators? Toxic Spikes to go.

Now, back in 4th gen, I always found it to be more of a 'hit and miss' sort of thing. Also, without a guaranteed Focus Sash in Sturdy, picking which hazard to set up could sometimes go so wrong. Spend 2 turns setting up TS, and the opponent sends out their poison type to soak them up at the next available instance, whilst having turns to set up their own sweeper. Set up SR? Sorry, no pokemon were weak to that on their team, at least not enough to guarantee those crucial OHKOs.

hence, Team Preview is one of the most important tools when it comes to setting hazards, or rather the priority for setting those hazards.

When it comes to OU, I have a Infernape with SR, and a Tentacruel with Toxic Spikes. If I see Volcarona in the Team Preview, my first thought is to get those rocks up ASAP. Even if I have to sacrifice Infernape, most of the time it's worth it to get rid of that beast.

I know this may sound stupid, but I find that Forretress has saved me many times, and is one of my best leads (apart from ScarfOgre w/Water Spout), even in DW Ubers.
I use this set:
Forretress @ Custap Berry
Sturdy
Sassy, 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Def
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
-----------------------------------
It's surprising how many people don't see this coming. I am GUARANTEED to set up at least 2 entry hazards due to Sturdy and Custap Berry, which work perfectly with each other. This is a great lead even in DW Ubers... but is ruined by Status (e.g. Flamethrower, etc. burning), and is complete Taunt and Setup bait. Thing is, if someone does try and set up on you, I find that they set up as much as they can. For example, Calm Mind Mewtwo's have set up Calm Mind after Calm Mind as I laid entry hazards out, then left me hanging with 1 HP, for me to only Rapid Spin which does nothing at all.
I can see something like Latias setting up Sub/CM or Quagsire Stockpiling to double +3, or even... well... I don't know, something that sets up!!
This does work for me, though... and it's something that I haven't seen anyone use.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Deoxys-S is usually better as a suicide lead and it's not complete taunt\set up bait thanks to its own taunt and its massive speed.

smeargle is kind of outclassed (not entirely) by deoxys or forretress.
the only thing smeargle has that they dont is a 100 accurate sleep move in spore. otherwise, deoxys got the magic coat, taunt, and spikes and sr, while forretress got the bulk, all hazards, rapid spin and a respectable attacking stat. (also sturdy)

Of note to the OP, Sleep Talk bypasses the negative priority on shuffling moves. It is not uncommon to see a Rest/Talk Gyra with Dragontail for example.

• How necessary are entry hazards? Are they required to have an effective team?
    I think that entry hazards, namely Stealth Rock are highly necessary for a few reasons. The first reason that it is necessary is because it breaks those focus sashes. This prevents your opponent from just slapping on sashes and beating you just because you couldn't kill them due to their use. The second reason that I believe they are necessary is because they help offensive pokemon get the necessary 1 and 2 hit KOes as well as combat Shedinja. While Shedinja isn't that that much of a threat due to the rise of sand in UU, it is still a dangerous pokemon if you're not well prepared.

• How much of an advantage do they give to any specific team?
  • Since I'm primarily a defensive minded player, I'm going to answer this from that point of view. The three entry hazards give an enormous advantage to stall teams as it takes advantage of the fact that these teams can afford to stay in for numerous turns to set up. I don't need to explain why SR is important again as I've already done so for the first question. Spikes, while not as effective as SR on offensive teams, is a staple for stall teams. The reason that Spikes are effective on this type of team is because it punishes the opponent for consistent switch ins caused by the user's stall team. It allows stall teams to wear down dangerous sweepers such as Sand Rush Stoutland, CM and SD Cobalion, Chandelure and friends. It also helps in direct matchups as getting up spikes is often the difference between a win and a loss in those instances as most of stall team's members are grounded. The last hazard for this type of team is Toxic Spikes. These are the least important hazard as they don't directly damage the switch in, but instead induce regular poison for one layer, and toxic poison for two or more layers. Toxic Spikes are especially useful for those that employ an endgame win condition such as Crocune, who is a menacing pokemon capable of plowing through even the most prepared teams when it is the last pokemon. Unfortunately, these can be absorbed by grounded poison types such as Venusaur.

• Which entry hazard is the most effective in today's metagame?
  • Stealth Rock is the most effective hazard in today's metagame due to the fact that it is easily splashable in almost every type of team.

• Which do you prefer to use? Why?
  • Once again, as a defensive minded player, I prefer to use Spikes and Stealth Rock to continually wear down my opponent over time and finish them off when they're weak.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Should smeargle be added to the list of both entry hazard users?
Of note to the OP, Sleep Talk bypasses the negative priority on shuffling moves. It is not uncommon to see a Rest/Talk Gyra with Dragontail for example.
My apologies! I will try to add both of these to the original post (which might be difficult due to picture limits).

Great discussion on everyone's part! It sounds like there is much agreement in how important hazards are. Feel free to keep tackling those questions and debating with others' answers. I'd like to pose another question that I've been mulling over for the past week:

Which Magic Bounce user do you prefer, Xatu or Espeon? Xatu packs an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes with some great resistances and Roost, while Espeon is a powerhouse that can dish out some serious damage thanks to its great Special Attack and Speed. In your experiences, which has worked better? Why?

Also, if you ever have questions that YOU want to pose about entry hazards, feel free to post them in a similar fashion to what I have just done. Perhaps it will wind up in the OP!

• How necessary are entry hazards? Are they required to have an effective team?
  • I would say yes. Hazards can break sashes, limit switches, and more. Hazards can help OHKO or 2HKO pokemon that normally won't be and therefor helps with sweeps.
  • How much of an advantage do they give to any specific team?
  • Offensive and fast-paced teams tend to use Stealth Rocks because it doesn't take time to set up. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are for slower stall teams as those teams can take time to set up all the layers.
  • Which entry hazard is the most effective in today's metagame? Which do you prefer to use? Why?
  • Stealth Rocks. It takes only one turn to set up and have severely threaten pokemon that are weak to it.
  • What tactics do you utilize to prevent becoming victim to entry hazards? Do you like to bounce them back or model teams that resist their effects?
  • I like to spin them away. Magic Bounce requires a lot of prediction to use efficiently and modeling teams that resist effects can limit the amount of options.
  • Which Magic Bounce user do you prefer, Xatu or Espeon?
  • Espeon seems to be for offfensive teams and Xatu for defensive ones.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Espeon seems to be for offfensive teams and Xatu for defensive ones.
I would imagine that many users would agree with you on this point. However, the kind of response to my latest question that is most beneficial would be more... personal! For example, have you tried playing with either of them? What stuck out to you as a potential advantage? Maybe a disadvantage? In general, the questions in these kinds of topics aren't necessarily looking for "the right answer". It's about learning from each others' experiences and their impressions on certain issues!

• How necessary are entry hazards? Are they required to have an effective team? How much of an advantage do they give to any specific team?
I'd say at least stealth rocks are neccessary, as they remove sashes and Dnite's multiscale and also help to counter Volcarona and the like. Spikes and T-spikes aren't as crucial but still useful

• Which entry hazard is the most effective in today's metagame? Which do you prefer to use? Why?
Stealth rock, mainly for the reasons stated above.

• What tactics do you utilize to prevent becoming victim to entry hazards? Do you like to bounce them back or model teams that resist their effects?
Magic Bounce is nice, as it puts the hazards back on to the enemy's team, however it requires a lot of prediction, so I find a rapid spinner sufficent

• Do entry hazards restrict the amount of viable Pokemon in OU or expand it? Why do you think so?
I think some pokemon are less used because of a weakness to stealth rock, but this can be avoided, I mean, Volcarona's OU despite taking 50% upon entry with SR. So no, not really

• What creative and effective movesets/Pokemon do you utilize in terms of entry hazards? What is advantageous about them?
Most of them include sub + Dragon Tail/Circle throw, but other than that, I'm not that creative in that sense

Hazards are just too useful to pass up for offensive teams. I can really only speak from that point of view, but from my experience so far...

They basically fulfill two roles :

• they break defenses that are only active at 100% HP, namely Sturdy, Focus Sash and Multiscale, which would otherwise allow the opponent to interrupt your sweep ;
  • they soften tough foes that could take your attacks, decreasing their capacity to do so significantly by ultimately bringing them in the proverbial 1 or 2HKO range ; in particular, if they rely on switching to a proper resist to stop you, hazards damage mitigate their typing advantage.
As such, they help significantly to break through any resistance. It is less true of Toxic Spikes, which shine over time rather than upon switching and could give an unwanted immunity to more useful status (remember I'm talking about offense here).

Moreover, Stealth Rock boasts especially tremendous meta-power. It's the prime solution to deal with such prominent threats as Dragonite and Volcarona and it is arguably the reason why they are still OU.
It's the only one that hits all Pokémon undiscriminately, namely Flying-types and Levitators that couldn't care less about Spikes ; in particular, it's the only way to break Skarmory's Sturdy beside the uncommon Hail.

All this in one turn. Barring the possible mindgames against Taunt and Magic Bounce users and other leads, that is.

At first I found it silly and undeservingly powerful (not fond of passive effects), but I find it does add a nice layer of tactics to the general course of a battle.
Say team preview shows your Deoxys-S waiting in the wings. You can seize the momentum and grab an early advantage by going straight for an attacking mon since Deoxys has "LEAD" written all over it ; it could be bluffing with a LO set, or just waiting for an opportunity to set up once you've defeated that pesky Espeon you duly noted. Speaking of which, sending in Deoxys and immediately switching to a Pursuit user has been a rather effective way to deal with the pink kitten for me. Deoxys learns it too, but it's only begging Espeon to set up on it since it lacks the power to be an actual threat.

As for dealing with enemy hazards, I run a team that does not rely on frequent switching : a barrage of set-up mons that come in to stay. Strapping a Rapid Spin user on such a team is going overboard, except if it's already a utility mon such as hazard Foretress. An offensive spinner such as Starmie can force out a damaged foe and spin on the switch, but I feel it should be kept to supporting specific mons that require it since hazards are not that impacting against that style to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)