Escavalier

Ok, so this round of suspect testing had me looking into Shubarugo what with all the talk of Latios and Reuniclus, and I came up with this set.

Shubarugo@Choice Band
Sassy; 176 HP / 156 Atk / 180 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed

- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Before you laugh or sneer at the use of Careful nature, keep in mind that the Choice Band, high base power of Megahorn, and Shubarugo's naturally high attack stat has Megahorn (the only move you'll really be using) hitting harder than several things:

344 Atk CB Megahorn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (46.04% - 54.21%)
394 Atk CB Scizor U-Turn vs. 404/361 Suicune: (30.69% - 36.39%)
405 Atk CB Gross Meteor Mash vs. 404/361 Cresselia: (44.80% - 52.97%)

In other words, don't hate. In exchange, you get:

-The most solid Lati check in the game (OHKOs 6/0 Latios as he switches out and does 90% minimum to 6/0 Latias as she switches out). It avoids being even 4HKOd by Specs Latios' Draco Meteor, avoids being 2HKOd by Specs Latios' Surf with rocks/spikes (1 layer), and will always 2HKO with Pursuit should Latios stay in.
-The most solid Reuniclus check in the game (OHKOs 252/252 Bold Reuniclus, outruns Quiet Reuniclus in TR and OHKOs, takes a mere 42% max from +1 Lefties Bold Focus Blast)
-A great check to psychics/ghosts/dark types in general.
-A powerful attacker who hits harder than CBGross without even close to maximum investment.
-Generally bulky tank.
-Powerful Anti-Trick Room pokemon, trapping the psychics and ghosts that reside there and using the field condition to its advantage.
-Ridiculously powerful Swarm-boosted Megahorn.

I think this set finally grants Shubarugo the niche it has been looking for in OU. At 100 base power, Reversal will OHKO 4/0 Heatran, which I assume is at about 50% health since that's half the possible base power, making the slug a non-issue. Its barren movepool is actually just enough!

For those of you interested, I found that it pairs well with the following pokemon: Garchomp, Latios, Latias, Rotom-W, the list goes on. Basically anything that resists fire, but dragon-types work with it especially well. Vaporeon gets special mention, as its Wish support will keep Shubarugo healthy throughout the match and it isn't particularly susceptible to grass- and electric-type moves.
Reposting on this page so people will actually see it.

At 100 base power, Reversal will OHKO 4/0 Heatran, which I assume is at about 50% health since that's half the possible base power, making the slug a non-issue. Its barren movepool is actually just enough!
You would assume incorrectly, Flail and Reversal don't even break 40 bp until you're under around a ~third of your health. They're terrible moves if you're not trying to abuse them, really...

It's a pretty minor thing, but I'd recommend using any speed IV between 1 and 19 instead of 0, so that you can outspeed Ferrothorn to prevent it from spiking further. As long as you don't break 19 you'll still outspeed Reuniclus in TR.

Also, I find that Jellicent and especially Gliscor switch in to my Escavalier far more than Pokemon with fire moves, so I'd prioritize those two for Escavalier partners to handle. To this end, grass types like Shaymin and Virizion work well, and also greatly enjoy Escavalier's ability to Pursuit out Lati@s.

i 've used a shubarugo in my team mostly as a check to things like reuniclus,lati@s and other pokemon that gave my teams problems, and i even used him him as a a counter to ludicolo in the rain, which it could wreck my team with its rain dish/leech seed set....

shubarugo@leftovers
adamant 196 hp/216 atk/160 sp.def
swarm
substitute
swords dance
megahorn
iron head

yeah it is walled by many things but the main reason i used him was to counter certain things that my team couldn't deal with...

Shuabrugo - the pokemon that picture the "lesser" gen 5 the most
The pokemon that at first make you shout OMG its so great due to its gloriously great awesome typing of bug/steel and amazing stats(cmon lets be real) so crazy it shout a lot then you see the movepool and goes yayyyy it get STAB megahorn and SD and you look further to find yourself shouting : FUCK YOU GAMEFREAAAKKKKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact that is shown when you see Shubarugo, Dasutodasu, and Gigiaru

Otehrwise due to its beast stats and movepool(at least enough) hes qiote good in this meta. Compared to scor he only dont have legit fighting move, and priority and U-Turn. He can be bulkier zor with that beastly base stats and reliably counter/check rankurusu. Neat !!!!

i 've used a shubarugo in my team mostly as a check to things like reuniclus,lati@s and other pokemon that gave my teams problems, and i even used him him as a a counter to ludicolo in the rain, which it could wreck my team with its rain dish/leech seed set....

shubarugo@leftovers
adamant 196 hp/216 atk/160 sp.def
swarm
substitute
swords dance
megahorn
iron head

yeah it is walled by many things but the main reason i used him was to counter certain things that my team couldn't deal with...
You have 572 evs.

If you're trying to Substitute down to Swarm range, why the hell are you running Leftovers?

You would assume incorrectly, Flail and Reversal don't even break 40 bp until you're under around a ~third of your health. They're terrible moves if you're not trying to abuse them, really...

It's a pretty minor thing, but I'd recommend using any speed IV between 1 and 19 instead of 0, so that you can outspeed Ferrothorn to prevent it from spiking further. As long as you don't break 19 you'll still outspeed Reuniclus in TR.

Also, I find that Jellicent and especially Gliscor switch in to my Escavalier far more than Pokemon with fire moves, so I'd prioritize those two for Escavalier partners to handle. To this end, grass types like Shaymin and Virizion work well, and also greatly enjoy Escavalier's ability to Pursuit out Lati@s.
You know what's funny? +2 Adamant Megahorn 2 hit koes Jelly (unless it burns you I guess), might not break it's sub with Boiling Water (seriously? Lame) because of the high special defense, and 2 hit koes Gliscor with +2 Iron Head while unboosted Earthquake does only about a third (unless it's max attack in which case it does 41~ although an ironic offensive Flight Jewl Acrobat does over 2/3) but in any case, Gliscor usually won't 2 hit ko you. Although partners for Shubarago most certainly help, especially Wishes.

+2 Megahorn pretty much ohkoes Nattorei while it can't really do much of anything to you and if you worry about Spikes that much, carry a Spinner or something.

And Substitute also helps protect against random Hp Fires and really weak attacks and status. Plus it's movepool is small.

I agree that the Choice Band set is quite amazing. Eith enough atk EVs, you can do some crazy things like OHKO Kingdra with Megahorn. The lack of coverage isn't too bad either, as resistors easily lose 50+% of their health unless they are defensively oriented.

Unless you're running your own Trick Room team, though, I might run 1 or 2 speed IVs instead of zero. You are still slower than TR Rankurusu, but have the advantage of outspeeding min speed Nattorei, who is common on non-Trick Room teams. The only other Trick Room Pokemon who you will not be slower than are opposing Shubarugo. And since Shubarugo can't touch other Shubarugo, you can easily stall out TR time (and sometimes be lowered into Reversal range first). Feel free to run as many as 8 IVs, but no more as you will then outspeed TR Gigalith.

It's not speed creep, imo; Nattorei has more to lose by adding speed IVs than Shubarugo does. (Gyro Ball)

Can't wait till this little buddy gets Superpower
I couldn't agree more to that.

For now, Shubarugo has to make do with Megahorn/X-Scissor and Iron Head (and Reversal if you're using it in Trick Room late-game when its HP is low). It's true that it has Rock Smash for Steels, but a resisted STAB Megahorn does a little more than a super effective Rock Smash.

Yeah this guy's movepool is so sucky.
I mean only 3 move i can actualy find to be used
Iron Head, Megahorn, Pursuit
Wow 3 freakin move

Yeah this guy's movepool is so sucky.
I mean only 3 move i can actualy find to be used
Iron Head, Megahorn, Pursuit
Wow 3 freakin move
Yeah, it's attacking movepool sucks. But it has SWORDS DANCE, Substitute, Counter, Reversal (eh), Protect, Rain Dance, etc. I still think the Swords weilding Shubarago is superior to the Choice Band (and it doesn't have the movepool for a Choice Band lol) especially since you can abuse it's bulk better with Leftovers and able to switch moves with a bigger even more powerful boost (now you can kill things like Burungeru and Gliscor and pretty much everything easy).

LO SD/Pursuit/Megahorn/Iron Head. My fave. somehow LO suicide help in tough cases
I'm wary of using Life Orb on something as bulky but slow at Shubargo but if Scizor can do it (Scizor is not at all fast outside of Bullet Punch though Scizor does have Roost) so can the bug. It does survive some very random things and Hp Fire from weaker pokes even without Rain.

Yeah, it's attacking movepool sucks. But it has SWORDS DANCE, Substitute, Counter, Reversal (eh), Protect, Rain Dance, etc. I still think the Swords weilding Shubarago is superior to the Choice Band (and it doesn't have the movepool for a Choice Band lol) especially since you can abuse it's bulk better with Leftovers and able to switch moves with a bigger even more powerful boost (now you can kill things like Burungeru and Gliscor and pretty much everything easy).
Megahorn is really all you need. Nothing is immune to it, and it is exceedingly powerful. If you don't use CB, you lose the powerful Pursuit as well, and all you get is a pokemon who will likely be forced out the turn following its switch-in given that pitiful base 20 Speed.

I see the only alternative to the CB set to be Leftovers with Sub / Megahorn / Iron Head / Pursuit, with Rain Dance possibly over Substitute.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
What we have here is an inferior scizor. He's got a shit movepool, no technician, no bullet punch, no roost, no baton pass, no agility and iron defense (baton pass) and shit speed. I'm sorry, but this thing SUCKS.

But BEASTLY Stats. hes too good if he have great movepool. So what if he dont have move like that ? At least he get enough to become usable.
STAB megahon, Pursuit, iron Head etc hes prolly the most stable rankurusu check/counter sicne he dont risk anything and has slow speed. Also fire move case, just switch. Having fire weakness isnt as bad as having say ground weakness after all.
All in all despite its movepool his beastly stats (105 defenses and same HP as zor for crying out loud) help him to not sucks

What we have here is an inferior scizor. He's got a shit movepool, no technician, no bullet punch, no roost, no baton pass, no agility and iron defense (baton pass) and shit speed. I'm sorry, but this thing SUCKS.
Just because they're both Steel/Bug and have beastly attack stats doesn't mean they're similar. Shubarugo and Scizor have completely different niches. One's a revenge killer and scout. The other is a massive cannon.

I'm sorry, but how does that even come close to being comparable to Scizor?

Same typing, but they play different roles in the game. Scizor Is a scouter/revenge killer. Shubarugo is a pokemon you send in to take a big chunk out of something. And doesn't Swarm CB Megahorn OHKO some Scizors?

Edit; ninja'd )_:

Scizor:
Better Move Pool (Bullet Punch, Roost)
Better Speed

Shubarugo:
Worse Move Pool
Better everything-not-named-Speed
To further elaborate, Scizor also has reliable ways to deal with Steel Pokemon (Brick Break and Superpower). Shubarugo is forced to rely on STAB Megahorn or Rock Smash to deal with Steels (even though a Megahorn still hurts when resisted).

Even if you use a steel type switch in (eg. Scizor) you still need to be one hell of a gutsy badass with a beard to make grizzly bears run scared to do it. Simply because even against something like Scizor, a CB Megahorn from this guy is still a solid 2HKO RESISTED. The only safe switch ins into this guy are the 4x resists, resisted Evo stone abusers and uber defensive resistant sponges such as Gengar, Crobat, Golbat, Heatran, Chandelure, Dusclops, Jelicent, Steelix and Conkledurr if at full HP.

What makes gengar and crobat uber defensive sponges? I know they resist megahorn but they have terrible defenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)