Other Everyone Who Signs Up Will Be In This Game [Challenge 3]

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Challenge 3: Space War

In this challenge you will each be in charge of an intergalactic fleet, and seek to kill each other.

Overview:
You will be split up into 8 teams of 2. Each team will have two people and two ships, each ship starting out with 3 HP. These ships all have names and can be targeted by other ships. The names of these ships are such:

HMS Amedeo
HMS Blaise
HMS Carl Friedrich
HMS Dmitri
HMS Enrico
HMS Félix
HMS Georg
HMS Heinrich Rudolf
HMS Isaac
HMS Joseph-Louis
HMS Leonhard
HMS Marie
HMS Niels
HMS Pierre
HMS Srinivasa
HMS Wilhelm Eduard

In a PM that you will all receive, you will be told the name of your teammate for this challenge, the name of the team that you are both on, the names of the ships that your team controls, the names of two enemy teams, and the name of one super-enemy team.

Each team has five different actions they can take. These are:
  • Fire the blasters!
    This action will (attempt to) damage the enemy ship of your choice.
  • Raise the forcefield!
    This action will (attempt to) protect yourself from all enemy blasters.
  • Fire an electromagnetic pulse (EMP)!
    This action will (attempt to) eliminate enemy forcefields and disable their blasters.
  • Send spies!
    This action will (attempt to) send spies to an enemy ship to gather intel, namely the team that ship belongs to and the upgrades it currently has.
  • Put the personnel of your ships on high alert!
    This action will (attempt to) let your personnel stand on guard, stopping enemy EMPs and spies from affecting you.

Every cycle, your forcefields will automatically be on and your personnel will automatically be on high alert. For the other three actions, you will have to send targets to me each cycle. To do this, send a PM to me containing: "Use <action> on <ship>". You will use the stated action on the stated ship.

Tiers and Ties:
Each of these actions has various tiers. Your electromagnetic pulse will fail to eliminate an enemy forcefield if the tier of your EMP is lower than that of their forcefield.

Possible tiers:
Code:
Skill      Tiers
Blasters   1  2  3  4 (5)
Forcefield 1  2  3 (4)
EMP        1  2  3 (4)
Spies         2  3  4  (5)
Personnel  1  2  3 (4)
If the tier of your forcefield is greater than or equal to the tier of a blaster firing at you, you will take no damage to your ship.

If the tier of your EMP is greater than or equal to the tier of the forcefield you are firing at, then the enemy forcefield will be eliminated for that cycle. Blasters will be eliminated no matter what tier they are, unless the EMP is blocked by high-tier personnel.

If the tier of your personnel is greater than or equal to the tier of the enemy spies or EMPs being sent your way, then those spies/EMPs will be blocked.

You may combine your efforts with another team. The combined level of your ability will be one greater than the highest level of that skill between the two of you. That is, say you both have blasters level 2. You may combine efforts and use a blaster level 3. This uses up both teams’ blaster actions for the cycle.

Upgrading your Skills:
Every team starts out with the same equipment - Blasters level 1 and no other skills. To start the game, each team gets six (6) Upgrades. Upgrades can be used to either gain a new skill (if you do not already have it) or level up an existing skill. All skills are first acquired at tier 1 except for spies, who are acquired already at tier 2. To use an upgrade, send me a PM containing: "Upgrade/Acquire <skill>". <skill> will be upgraded to the next level or acquired at the first level, depending on your situation.

Every time you successfully use a blaster on another team or take damage from the blaster of another team, you gain another upgrade to use.

Blasters and spies can be upgraded to a maximum of level 4, which with the help of another team may be raised to 5 for that cycle. The other abilities, forcefield, EMP, and personnel, may only be upgraded to a maximum of 3, which with the help of another team may be raised to 4 for that cycle.

As stated above, each ship starts out with 3 HP. For every blaster hit that is successful against that ship, they will lose 1 HP, regardless of the level of the blaster. You may regain a hit point at the cost of one level of one of your five skills - however, taking this action disables your forcefields for that turn. You may not go over 3 HP total.

NOTE: Skills and upgrades are owned by teams, not ships. Your team gets one use of each owned skill per turn, and upgrades apply to those actions, not the ships that you are using.

Working together:
If you and another team decide that you need a little more power for one or more of your actions, you may combine your efforts and use your action to support your ally's. To do this, in your PM, instead of saying "Use <action> on <ship>", you would say, "Using <action> to aid <friendly ship> for the turn". <friendly ship> must be a ship on the team whose action you wish to support. For example, if you are on Team1, and Team2 has a level 4 blaster, you can combine forces to create an almost unbeatable level 5 blaster for that turn, but Team1 loses the ability to use their own blaster for that turn.

Winning this challenge:
As stated above, in a PM that you will receive, you will be told the names of two enemy teams, and the name of one super-enemy team. You earn one (1) point for every enemy team ship that is eliminated and one and a half (1.5) points for every super-enemy team ship that is eliminated.

If your team acquires 4 points before both of your ships are eliminated, you will proceed to the next round.

For those of you familiar with mafia, the five roles are similar to these roles often found in mafia games:
Blaster = Kill / Attack
Forcefield = Self-BG
EMP = Hook (nerfed not to block spies)
Spies = Inspection
Personnel = Self-Safeguard (does not block your own Forcefield)

Last edited:

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
(Frequently?) Asked questions:

It has been brought to my attention that I said two different things about EMPs in the original post. To clarify: EMPs disable BOTH forcefields and blasters.

[23:46] <snip> can we spend all our upgrades at once
[23:46] <snop> or one each cycle?
[23:47] <askaninjask> you can (and probably should) spend all your upgrades at once
[23:47] <askaninjask> but you can wait if you want to
[23:47] <askaninjask> the upgrades don't expire

[23:59] <snap> do we send in actions tonight
[23:59] <snep> or only upgrades
[23:59] <snup> u r confusing me
[23:59] <askaninjask> oh
[23:59] <askaninjask> only upgrades for tonight
[23:59] <askaninjask> i didn't specify that
[23:59] <askaninjask> -_-

Last edited:

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
All PMs are sent, the rules seem like they're in relatively decent shape, so it is now Cycle 0. Each team has 48 hours to determine which 6 skills you will upgrade and in which amounts. Remember that each team starts out with Blasters level 1 and no other beginning skills.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Players:
zorbees
Crux
YAYtears
Ace Emerald
billymills
Laurel
LightWolf
Eagle4
Acklow
bland (previously known as "FireMage")
the_angry_scientist
Hulavuta
jalmont
Walrein
vonFiedler
kingofmars

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
What if you only lose one ship? Does that mean you lose? If so, what reason does a team have to continue playing at that point?

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
You do not lose unless your team loses both of its ships.

Also all upgrades are in and it is now Cycle 1. You are now free to blast the shit out of each other.

Cycle 1 ends 45 hours (that's 2 days minus 3 hours) as of this post.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Update: Cycle 1

What's this? A ship has been eliminated already? Indeed, the only female ship has already died. You misogynist patriarchical fools.

HMS Marie, a ship for Team Black, has been sunk.

It is now Cycle 2, which will last for 48 hours as of this post. Sending out results now.

Reminder: Some of you have just received new upgrades to your ships. These upgrades are effective immediately - send me which skill you want to use them on and they will be active on this cycle.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Update: Cycle 2

3 more ships have fallen. The first you find of these is HMS Isaac, the final ship of Team Black.

Team Black is now out of the challenge and its players have been eliminated from this game.
PM said:
Dear Walrein and Eagle4,
You comprise Team Black in this conflict. You control HMS Marie and HMS Isaac.

You are enemies with: Team Red, Team Purple
Your are super-enemies with: Team Brown.
Another ship had been eliminated, namely HMS Carl Friedrich of Team Green.

And the final ship to be eliminated this cycle is HMS Srinivasa of Team Brown.

Note about winning: If a team wins, their remaining ships are removed from the game without giving points to their enemies. If this makes it impossible for another team to win, that team will have their ships eliminated, and those eliminations WILL give points to that team's enemies.

It is now Cycle 3. Cycle 3 ends 48 hours as of this post.

Last edited:

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Update: Cycle 3

Another ship has fallen - this time it is HMS Niels of Team Green. Team Green has been eliminated.

PM said:
Dear jalmont and LightWolf,
You comprise Team Green in this conflict. You control HMS Carl Friedrich and HMS Niels.

You are enemies with: Team Red, Team Pink
Your are super-enemies with: Team Orange.
As a result of the events of this cycle, Team Red has acquired 4 victory points and both of its members shall continue to the next challenge.

PM said:
Dear Ace Emerald and zorbees,
You comprise Team Red in this conflict. You control HMS Wilhelm Eduard and HMS Enrico.

You are enemies with: Team Black, Team Green
Your are super-enemies with: Team Blue.
HMS Wilhelm Eduard and HMS Enrico have been removed from the game.

Oh, also it is now Cycle 4, which ends 48 hours as of this post. I might actually pay attention to deadline this cycle, so get your actions in on time...

Last edited:

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
Update: Cycle 4

Only one ship has been destroyed this cycle. Some of you are surprised to see that it is: HMS Félix of Team Brown.

Team Brown has been eliminated.

PM said:
Dear Hulavuta and Laurel,
You comprise Team Brown in this conflict. You control HMS Félix and HMS Srinivasa.

You are enemies with: Team Pink, Team Blue
Your are super-enemies with: Team Black.
So close... and yet, still eliminated.

This has brought the victory of Team Pink. They were:

PM said:
Dear kingofkongs (kingofmars) and theangryscientist,
You comprise Team Pink in this conflict. You control HMS Heinrich Rudolf and HMS Pierre.

You are enemies with: Team Green, Team Brown
Your are super-enemies with: Team Purple.
This challenge is almost over - in fact I probably should have already called it, but whatever. It is now Cycle 5. Cycle 5 ends 48 hours as of this post or whenever I receive all relevant actions.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
So as to why I backstabbed Laurel:

1) He lied to me first, so totally justified
2) guaranteed win > all
3) This ensures that billy/crux/acklow/von get through, making it the most competitive top 8 possible, and I want to play against the best

Why?

Because I am not a coward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)