Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF probably had more than one eye on triple battles and the effect of explosion there and with in mind, i can't say i blame them.
Exactly what I was thinking. Gamefreak must have noticed all the Explosion-spamming at official tournaments all over the world because they use the Double Battle format, which is almost completely centralized around Explosion. Remember how when triple battles were first revealed, most people scoffed, saying that Explosion would just be more prevalent than ever? Gamefreak obviously took the opportunity to prevent that, and make it a more balanced move in those formats. Its horrible nerf in Singles is just a nasty side-effect.

Seems a lot of our Pokemon will need adjustments to accommodate this huge change. I guess Damp will now join the ranks of abilities like Keen Eye....

Exactly what I was thinking. Gamefreak must have noticed all the Explosion-spamming at official tournaments all over the world because they use the Double Battle format, which is almost completely centralized around Explosion. Remember how when triple battles were first revealed, most people scoffed, saying that Explosion would just be more prevalent than ever? Gamefreak obviously took the opportunity to prevent that, and make it a more balanced move in those formats. Its horrible nerf in Singles is just a nasty side-effect.

Seems a lot of our Pokemon will need adjustments to accommodate this huge change. I guess Damp will now join the ranks of abilities like Keen Eye....
Was Explosion really that popular in VGC 09? It certainly wasn't all that common in VGC 10 from the battles I saw...

And they could've easily nerfed the move in doubles/triples without messing with it in singles. Hell, they did just that from Gen 3 to Gen 4. In Gen 4, all moves that hit multiple targets got weakened by 25% when used in doubles despite hitting for full power in Gen 3. Single battle usages of the same moves were unaffected in Gen 4.

Azure Demon

All the people pissing and moaning about lax dude have really no reason to sure it loses power but even still it's self-destruct is stabbed making it still a good user of the move
Also lickylicky get STAB EXPLOSION meaning it's still able to rape pokemon with it
The only pokemon I feel bad for is electrode after it rain dances and taunts it won't be able to do jack to a lot of pokemon now

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
... Well... I guess Geodude really is COMPLETELY outclassed by Rhyhorn after all..
... Well... I guess Damp Swampert was us GF troll-ing us after all..
... Well... I guess Blissey will be even MORE of a bitch after all..
... Well... I guess...

:(

I don't mind. As much as I LOVE explosion, its probably for the best. 3 v 3 would be over in 2 turns. XD

... Well... I guess Geodude really is COMPLETELY outclassed by Rhyhorn after all..
... Well... I guess Damp Swampert was us GF troll-ing us after all..
... Well... I guess Blissey will be even MORE of a bitch after all..
... Well... I guess...

:(
But we have that special psychic move that does psychical damage. Thats one thing against it!

C'mon, Blissey isn't that bitchy now;
We still have Psycho Shock and Shanderaa going on.

But this is certainly a step backward... at least in my opinion.

We have to rely on Rollout now to get powerful hits <_<

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Just can't please some people!

Two of the biggest, most frequent complaints in this forum since it launched last week have been a) the ubiquity of suicide leads and b) the emphasis on heavy offense.

This change is a small step towards addressing those two issues. The move that gave suicide leads their name is no longer as terrifying (Metagross is only doing 50% on avg to Hippowdon!) and heavy offense users have lost the ability to lure out specific Pokemon and just explode in their faces.

Basically, suicide leads and heavy offense have are the playstyles that have lost out the most here. And I can't believe everybody isn't happy about that.

Just can't please some people!

Two of the biggest, most frequent complaints in this forum since it launched last week have been a) the ubiquity of suicide leads and b) the emphasis on heavy offense.

This change is a small step towards addressing those two issues. The move that gave suicide leads their name is no longer as terrifying (Metagross is only doing 50% on avg to Hippowdon!) and heavy offense users have lost the ability to lure out specific Pokemon and just explode in their faces.

Basically, suicide leads and heavy offense have are the playstyles that have lost out the most here. And I can't believe everybody isn't happy about that.
I'd quite happily continue with suicide leads and offensive gameplay if it meant Blissey could be kept at bay. Blissey < All.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
...but there are some cases that one will use a hyper-offensive team with another move aside from Explosion, such as Memento coming from a Uxie.

Actually, I hate Explosion, most especially to most Steel Pokemon around, since I used them for walling purposes. Plus, Blissey can be countered by any other means possible, like a simple Close Combat [without Reflect on].

Yeah, for most people, Explosion has drastically changed a lot in the Generation V Metagame, but honestly, it did make a slight difference to me.

Lee

@ Thick Club
I'd quite happily continue with suicide leads and offensive gameplay if it meant Blissey could be kept at bay. Blissey < All.
I'm sorry but if you were relying on Explosion to keep Blissey at bay, then your team sucks.

I think Explosion will be rare in Gen 5. Using a moveslot for a sacrifice isn't really worth it when your opponent will likely survive.
And Blissey won't be much better with Psycho Shock and the new powerful Pokemon.

i also wanted to add that i am happy to learn this now. it definitely resolves the 'explosion vs hydro pump' conundrum i was having with the cloyster i want to build.

Given the prevalence of suicide Explosion leads being so dominant within the double battle scene which is technically the official format, this nerf was probably intentional in order to force people to try out other tactics.

The first thing I thought of when I heard this is that Reckless Head Smash Emboar wouldn't be outclassed by Explosion. It may still be carried on strong attackers, but now it will no longer be picked up by special attackers as a last resort against Blissey.

Wait how did video demonstrate that it doesn't half defense any more?

EDIT: Ah I turned on the volume. It looked as if he was wearing a focus sash without the volume.

I'm sorry but if you were relying on Explosion to keep Blissey at bay, then your team sucks.
Because using Substitute + Explosion Gengar to lure in Blissey and OHKO with Explosion to prepare an Offensive Suicune sweep isn't a viable idea anymore, right?

Lee

@ Thick Club
Nope, not if that's your only way of dealing with her. One Protect and you lose the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)