Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because using Substitute + Explosion Gengar to lure in Blissey and OHKO with Explosion to prepare an Offensive Suicune sweep isn't a viable idea anymore, right?
Ironically, the Substitute + Pain Split is a more reliable way of dealing with Blissey. Lee is right, if all you have is Explosion on your team to deal with Blissey, then your team sucks. Things like Toxic Spike and Pursuit support, mixed attackers, physical attackers, etc, are far more reliable and allow your team to execute its strategy without relying on the opponent not having Protect Blissey + Ghost. People often Protect on stuff like Heatran with Blissey to check for Explosion, so the Heatran will Fire Blast thinking they're outpredicting them. In comes Gengar and well.. there you go.

Azure Demon

Game freak has given us plenty of new tools if you want to sacrifice a pokemon to do some major damage for example desperation can still take a huge chunk out if not kill anything blissey
any pokemon if you run recover+desperation so I don't see the problem

This change doesn't bother me as I hardly used explosion anyway I only used it for super tough spots

How is Explosion dead?

All it means is you can't spam it against a team with the ghost gone and kill almost anything. Now you have to, oh man, weaken it just a little to kill it!

At least a certain amount of these calcs seem pointless too. Who uses bold, max defense Ninjask? Most things, aside from heavy defense monsters like Skarmory, Cresselia and Hippowodon, still take major damage from this.

For example, Leadgross' Explosion, without EV modification, still deals upwards of 60-70% to most Pokemon, so just hit it lightly with after Stealth Rocks and bam, dead. It's also still great as a last resort due to sheer damage.

And, for example, Choice Band Metagross still does 74% - 87.4% to Hippowodon, 65.1% - 76.8% to Cresselia and 97.1% - 114.4% to Physically Defensive Zapdos. About the only thing that sucks is you can't take down Skarmory with it. Oh, and Swampert takes 60.1% - 70.8% from Leadgross' Explosion. For more defensive sets, Agiligross does 79.1% - 93.3% to it with Explosion and Choice Band Gross does 90.3% - 106.2%. So Swampy still appreciates Damp.

I'm still not that pleased with the change, but meh.

Oh, also, have we confirmed the same with Selfdestruct?

Azure Demon

[
If Explosion was your only counter to Blissey, then you are, as they say, "doing it wrong".
Lol I'm seconding this

Most people pissing and moaning about this change are people who have trouble with team building or like to abuse this in doubles which is annoying anyway

I love explosion but shit people used it like it was going out of style in vgc and regular battles.Some people were so bad they build all out explosion teams with ghost and quick sweepers for clean up duty

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just for the sake of completeness, I've listed the Pokémon that learn Explosion from the most destructive one (that being Lickilicky's) to the most pathetic one (that being Yuniran's) based only on base attack (and STAB where applicable). I've highlighted Lickilicky and Smeargle, since they get STAB.

The OP has been edited with this information.

This is so annoying, the entire point of explosion was just as a massive fuck you too tough enemies, and now they've gone and nerfed it. What's the point of having a now relatively weak move that kills yourself.

This may have been mentioned already, but explosion as it was would have made triple battles suck. I'll probably never do a triple battle in my life, but, you know. Whatever.

Anyway, Blissey is already annoying enough, but my team just tricks a scarf on her or beats her down with a surprise mixed set. I don't think i've ever actually exploded on a Blissey.

Im going to cry in advance for the pain Blissey is going to cause me. = (

But yes it was probably needed for trip battles and the growing ammount of suicide leads.

I don't know what the huge deal about Blissey is. Explosion isn't the only way to deal with her. And explosion spamming in Doubles was what really kept me away from it, it sounded really annoying and unskilled.

So why are we even arguing about this?Explosion sucks now and blissey just got a whole lot harder to beat because you cant lure it with stuff like Heatran anymore.End of story >_<.
Personally i never thought Explosion was that overpowered though and this kind of ruins it for like...Everything?And just when i was glad that my beloved Swampert's Damp will become cool...

So why are we even arguing about this?Explosion sucks now and blissey just got a whole lot harder to beat because you cant lure it with stuff like Heatran anymore.End of story >_<.
Personally i never thought Explosion was that overpowered though and this kind of ruins it for like...Everything?And just when i was glad that my beloved Swampert's Damp will become cool...
Its not overpowered but it might have ruined trip battles with people just exploding all over the place. Same with Gen 4 double battles. Well thats probs what GameFreak thought anyways.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I realized this today when my Heatran didn't even do 50% to a Blastoise that it would have killed in DPPtHGSS :(

Its not overpowered but it might have ruined trip battles with people just exploding all over the place. Same with Gen 4 double battles. Well thats probs what GameFreak thought anyways.
I suppose it would have been kinda broken for Tripples.But still this is kind of annoying now =L

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
But we have that special psychic move that does psychical damage. Thats one thing against it!(Blissey)
Oh please. Psycho Shock sucks. To illustrate, Alakazam, its most powerful user in standard, can only manage a 2hko 252/252+/0 Blissey with it with Stealth Rocks AND Sandstorm support, factoring Leftovers (44.8% - 52.9%). You need STAB on it for it to be somewhat useful and its still sacrificing a valuable moveslot that could've been used for Substitute or coverage. Psychic being such a poor attacking type on its own.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This may have been mentioned already, but explosion as it was would have made triple battles suck. I'll probably never do a triple battle in my life, but, you know. Whatever.

Anyway, Blissey is already annoying enough, but my team just tricks a scarf on her or beats her down with a surprise mixed set. I don't think i've ever actually exploded on a Blissey.
Lol how so? They could have made Explosion do only, like, 30% of the original damage. It only does 75% in Doubles already, I don't see how nerfing it in every battling mode would seem a better idea.

Oh please. Psycho Shock sucks. To illustrate, Alakazam, its most powerful user in standard, can only manage a 2hko 252/252+/0 Blissey with it with Stealth Rocks AND Sandstorm support, factoring Leftovers (44.8% - 52.9%). You need STAB on it for it to be somewhat useful and its still sacrificing a valuable moveslot that could've been used for Substitute or coverage. Psychic being such a poor attacking type on its own.
I might be reading your post wrong, so just to be sure; you're aware that Psycho Shock uses the user's Special Attack and the enemy's Physical Defense, right? Again, just confirming.

Bleh... every generation, Blissey just gets more and more difficult to kill.
my thoughts exactly : /

I think you forgot Mewtwo, THE MOST POWERFUL user of it.

and being able to 2HKO blissey is huge dude..
almost NO pure special attackers can beat blissey 1v1. The only ones are like Mewtwo, Gengar, Kyogre and Alakazam.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I didn't get what this is supposed to mean.. did they cut Explosion's power to 100 or something ? I did read the OP, but i didn't understand a single thing.

Explosion did 250 Base power in 4th gen, in additional of reducing your defense by half during Kaboom!

Now explosion still does the same 250 Base power, but no longer half the defeat during Kaboom!

Applies to Self Destruct too. Last time, a choice banded Munchlax can practically kill every non-not-very-effective pokemon. With the Nerf, if you can bring more than half health damage to opponent, considered urself lucky.

Trivia: BTW, munchlax gets self-destruct as egg move in 5th gen. No need to go winner's path to get depression munchlax. XD

[

Lol I'm seconding this

Most people pissing and moaning about this change are people who have trouble with team building or like to abuse this in doubles which is annoying anyway

I love explosion but shit people used it like it was going out of style in vgc and regular battles.Some people were so bad they build all out explosion teams with ghost and quick sweepers for clean up duty
Blissey isnt THAT hard to kill guys. XD Theres a plethora of ways. My favorite way is taking out a pokemon that usually is a special attacker and luring Blissey out, and then SURPRISE FOCUS PUNCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)