Pokémon Feraligatr

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
SD Feraligatr really is overhyped. It's not even that fantastic of a wall-breaker because it's relying on coverage that doesn't benefit from STAB. That's the big difference between SD Crawdaunt and SD Feraligatr, Crawdaunt has STAB with two types that allows itself to be a much more efficient wall-breaker. Also malomyotismon Crawdaunt runs both SD with Life Orb, they are not exclusive and are paired together.

Dragon Dance Feraligatr is actually the only set I find that is good in practice cause it hits a solid speed tier to outrun base 135s and below after a Dragon Dance and actually provides itself as a solid win condition against offense and balance. SD really only shines against slower builds and is easier to play around from testing.

I must admit I have found dd gatr to fit into my team (see link in siggy), very nicely, simply because I don't use up the mega slot for gyarados and that's allowed me to have a great deal of experimentation with balancing the team more, with acess to other mega's.

Bisharp can't touch Crawdaunt and Feraligatr can't touch Breloom with the crunch set anyway...so those two are pretty irrelevant things to outspeed. Celebi is admittedly something that can stop Crawdaunt from sweeping, but as a wall breaker I'm not sure why that matters. Celebi certainly can't switch into LO STAB Adaptability Knock Off, and if it gets a free switch then it's most likely after something has already been. The bulk is indeed a positive, but as I said before, trading a noticible amount of power for bulk on what is meant to be a wall breaker seems pretty backwards to me.
What I meant by saying Feraligatr can outspeed Jolly base 70s is that it also outspeeds the numerous pokemon specifically EVed to outspeed Bisharp and Breloom, such as Mew, Zapdos, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Rotom-W, Defensive Landorus-T, Jirachi, Celebi, Mega Heracross, weather sweepers outside of their weather, and a bunch of other random shit that people EV at 263. So sure Breloom (if lacking Ice Punch) and Bisharp may be irrelevant most of the time, but Feraligatr outspeeds many important defensive walls that it's meant to break whereas Crawdaunt will either have to switch out and waste its Swords Dance boost, Aqua Jet for little damage, or sac itself. My point is that SD Feraligatr and SD Crawdaunt are both meant to break walls and that Ferligatr can often due that better, not only due to its usable bulk, but because it can actually outspeed the walls its meant to break.

Maybe you guys are right and that Swords Dance Feraligatr is too outclassed by Crawdaunt and that it's better off using Dragon Dance. However, I am convinced that Swords Dance is the better set and that Feraligatr has enough perks over Crawdaunt to viably use it.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I am thinking Feraligatr's best chance in OU is a standard wallbreaking 4 attacks set. Like Halycon mentioned, I just don't see the chance it can set up SD or DD safely in OU. With 4 attacks, it now has the extra moveslot to run Iron Tail, which admittedly doesn't have a ton of utility, but does have the chance to OHKO Clefable. Food for thought.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 369-437 (93.6 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

I am thinking Feraligatr's best chance in OU is a standard wallbreaking 4 attacks set. Like Halycon mentioned, I just don't see the chance it can set up SD or DD safely in OU. With 4 attacks, it now has the extra moveslot to run Iron Tail, which admittedly doesn't have a ton of utility, but does have the chance to OHKO Clefable. Food for thought.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 369-437 (93.6 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
I don't think thats a great idea, as a wall breaker, that set in my opinion is completely outclassed by crawdaunt, who has significantly more raw power and duel stab, with the swords dance, feraligatr will at last have a much easier time setting up than crawdaunt and sustaining it for it's ability to outspeed thrats that potentially wall crawdaunt and for the dragon dance set it dosn't use up a mega slot, it's more powerful than both lo gyarados and mega gyarados and is harder to revenge/ has better defenive typing than mega gyarados.

Last edited:

Theres no real reason to run Iron Tail. If it hits only Clefable, who isn't really much of a problem afaik, then it shouldn't be used. Waterfall 2HKOs and Clefable does
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 115-136 (36.9 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Gatr can get an SD/DD up. It forces switches sometimes, and Gatr's bulk allows it it to take a hit. I don't see the point of a 4 attacks set over the SD set. Gatr should always run DD/SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)