First attempt at an OU team

Status
Not open for further replies.
First team i've made, feel like my core is weak.
team :
Swampert @ Leftovers MALE
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
STARTER - used for primarily stealth rock, sometimes used to deal with dragons since it has ice beam, and is used against fire/ground types since it has surf

Infernape @ Black Belt MALE
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 152 Atk / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Fake Out
MIXED SWEEPER - used for dealing with the obvious fire weakness pokemon as well as pokemon weak to close combat, but i feel like i'm either not using it well enough because it usually doesn't do much

Tyranitar @ Babiri Berry MALE
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
Dragon Dance Physical Sweeper (sort of?) - Generally i use my tyranitar for it's dragon dance to deal with most pokemon, it does a decent job but some pokemon still outspeed it

Dragonite @ Expert Belt FEMALE
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Roost
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
Staller - My dragonite is sort a staller with roost, with hurricane, thunder, draco meteor, it is pretty good against a variety of pokemon

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
Not sure what role - i have it in my team, but i'm not too sure what it's role is, sort of a tank that can take a lot of hits while being able to bullet punch for a finisher

Jirachi @ King's Rock
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Spd / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
Subflinch stall - usually my last pokemon to die since i throw it out at the end to attempt the subflinch stall with the thunderwave, wish is there to heal after the sub

I am open to completely changing pokemon/revising EV/Items
I'm having problems with pokemon that stall/pokemon that use attacks like swords dance/calm mind and such

First off, you have a x3 Ground weakness with Jirachi, Metagross, and Tyranitar, which you might want to look into switching out someone in order to prevent this huge Ground weakness.

Also, for your Dragonite, if the goal that you want with her is to be a stallish kind of Dragonite with Roost, then I'd suggest this set instead of the one you currently have.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef w/ Modest Nature
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Thunder Wave
Roost

This set allows you to tank hits, spread paralysis, and all at the same time hitting hard on the special side of your attack.

Also, I'd recommend a Rapid Spinner if you want to use a tanky Dragonite, as Dragonite really does not like Stealth Rocks on the field at all.

You could switch out Swampert for something like a Donphan, although this would give you also a x3 weakness to water, which you might want to work around as well should you decide to switch Swampert to Donphan or something.

If you did want a Donphan instead, I'd recommend this set.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk w/ Impish Nature
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock

The standard Donphan set allows you to both set up Stealth Rocks, have a spinner on your team, and tank physical hits pretty well.

Also, if you do decide to switch out Donphan, and are worried about that x3 Water weakness, might I suggest then switching out Infernape for Thunderus-T?

Especially a Scarfed one, as your team really should have a Scarfer on it.

Thunderus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
252 Spe, 252 SpAtk, 4 HP w/ Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Focus Blast/Grass Knot
Volt Switch

Also, there really isn't any reason to run Babiri Berry on Tyranitar, as Steel attacks are not exactly the most common in this metagame, outside of maybe Iron Head Jirachi. If you still want a hard-hitting Tyranitar though, you could go for a Banded or Scarfed set as well.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
252 Atk, 180 HP, 76 Spe for Banded, or 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP for Scarfed
Pursuit
Crunch
Stone Edge
Superpower

Also, on Jirachi, don't run King's Rock, as King's rock does not stack on top of Serene Grace. King's Rock only works on moves I'm pretty sure, that don't already have a flinch rate, or aren't affected by other qualities that increase flinch rate, such as Serene Grace. Run Leftovers instead, and you can use Jirachi as a Pivot Pokemon, that focuses on being kind of a balanced annoyance.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
252 HP, 160 Atk, 96 Spe w/ Jolly Nature
Iron Head
Body Slam/Thunder Wave
Fire Punch/Wish
Substitute

Or you could run it as a specially defensive Pokemon, with 252 HP, 224 SpDef, and 32 Spe EVs, with a Careful Nature.

Also, if you want Metagross to be a physical sweeper of sorts, I'd suggest something along the lines of this as a moveset:

Metagross @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
252 Atk, 96 Spe, 160 HP w/ Adamant Nature
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Pursuit/Bullet Punch

Also, I'd try to monitor your team to make sure that you don't have more than 2 Pokemon with the same weakness, and if you do happen to have 3 Pokemon that share a weakness, make sure that the other 3 resist that same type, or can take the attacks well, or else you'll be swept by certain Pokes.

Hope that helped!

I don't currently have time for a proper rate, so I'll just point out a small detail.

Your team is Sandstorm. You have Thunder and Hurricane on Dragonite.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

In sand, said moves have 50 percent accuracy. Use them in rain teams, not in sun. If you want a staller, a moveset of Dragon Tail / Roost / Substitute / Earthquake should do.

Sorry for the (tad) rude rate. Hope I helped!

PS - Try playtesting a little more. The RMT Forum is meant for teams where the obvious flaws are already covered. If you need someone to do that, try Battling 101 instead.

- Lampent

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Hey man! Just thought I might jump in and give my opinion on things. Take all of these with a grain of salt, as they are all your choices, and who am I to tell you what to do!
The first thing I would suggest, before we even LOOK at the team, is giving us some insight into the reason you built the team that way. If you put in Tyranitar because your team is having trouble dealing with Lati@s, put that in there! That way we can help you build more successfully while still allowing you room to think. If you find that two pokemon are simultaneously filling the same role, is it nessecary to have both of them on your team?
Honestly RMTs are meant to help you think through the reasons you did things during team building as much as they are for you to get suggestions from the community!
Thoroughly detail your RMT so that you - and others - can see your full thought process in every situation. I would suggest doing this before you take any advice from the RMT forums on teambuilding. That's what makes RMT so super-duper!
Next, I would suggest using Marriland's Team Builder (http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder) to check for typing weaknesses; you can find problems before they even begin! Of course, it only shows you weaknesses and resistances of your team, so it's not perfect. But it's a start!
Of course, eventually you'll get to the point where you won't need to go through all the intermediate steps to get to the product of a successful team. But having the tools to get better faster are extremely useful! Always question your decisions. Ask yourself why you need a hasty nature on a special attacking only Dragonite. Could modest or jolly be better? (Dragonite's really strange right now. You should probably look at it some more!)

Now, let's get down to actual business, shall we? It's time for me to "help."
Here goes nothing!

First of all, Dragonite. This was touched on a little bit in a previous post, but should probably be reiterated on. Hurricane and Thunder have 50% accuracy in sandstorm. That's bad. Inconsistency is what kills pokemon. Relying on luck is never a consistent strategy, and only hitting 50% Of the time is the definition of this. It's icky. The only reason a set like this is used on Dragonite in the first place is because under rain they both gain 100% accuracy. These problem's would probably be the number one thing to fix. Instead, I would suggest replacing thunder with thunderbolt and hurricane with... Wait! There's no accurate equivalent of hurricane! I suppose you have three options.

1. Replace Hurricane with some other, more consistent move with different typing
2. Revamp Dragonite entirely with a different move set or different pokemon
3. Remove Ttar and replace him with something more rainy (politoed)

All are useful and have their places. I can see the attraction of special Dragonite. It's bulky, has access to roost, and has a moderately decent special attack and an extremely strong special move pool. But it's better used in rain. I wish I better knew what you were trying to do with the team so I could suggest one way or another :(
(Also, change it's nature. Hasty isn't really that useful to you!

I'll finish this when it's not 1:30 am. Good luck!

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello,

The descriptions on this team are really lacking atm, as the rules state that around 3 lines per Pokemon are required. Try to expand on what role each Pokemon plays on your team and why you chose that specific moveset. This allows raters to make more informed rates and help them keep the original goal of the team in mind.

PM me your updated descriptions and I will unlock this thread for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)