First Team- HailStall

Hello, and thanks for looking at my team! This is my first team I've made over Shoddy Battle, but I've been competively battling via Wifi on the Pokemon video-games for quite some time. Overall, I think the team has had pretty good success, so without furtherado...

LEAD:
~Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability- Snow Warning
Timid Nature
252 HP/ 252 SPD/ 6 Sp. ATK
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Substitute
-Blizzard

Abomasnow fits the lead role in any Hail team since its basically makes the weather for me. While that's its main role, I also find Blizzard to be an effective leading move against many of the current starters in OU, as many tests against non-Fire types have shown that my opponent usually likes to set up their Stealth Rock or Trick a Choice item over to Snow. I mainly designed him to be a decent Subtank in the beginning if given the oppurtunity, and able to come back late game and still hopefully cause some havoc.

THE SUPPORT:

~Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability- Liquid Ooze
Calm Nature
252 HP/ 120 DEF/ 136 Sp. DEF
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Blizzard
-Surf

Tentacruel is my spikes layer and spinner. He is also resistant to Fire, a big plus with my lead being 4x weak to it and most of my team taking double damage from it. He is also stocked with Blizzard of course, and Surf to help cover weaknesses the rest of my team can't. Overall, he doesn't last long, but he gets his main job (Spikes and/or Spinning) done.

~Rotom-F @ Leftovers
Ability- Levitate
Bold Nature
252 HP/ 120 DEF/ 136 Sp. DEF
-Thunderbolt
-Blizzard
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Rotom covers the team's weakness to Ground upon switch and can also stop spins from gets rid of my spikes. Besides that, he has a basic RestTalk set with Thunderbolt to take down water types resistant to the rest of the team's Blizzard barrage. I find Rotom to be one of the biggest surprises in testing, as he lives remarkably long with Rest and still deals consistent damage.

~Swampert @Leftovers
Ability- Torrent
Relaxed Nature
252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 6 ATK
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Swampert (as suggested by several community members) has been a very solid wall against Ground and Fire types that can threathen my main threats. His solid Defense has allowed him to live through many attacks throughout testing. Stealth Rock/Roar have also made for a great combo against more defensive strategies especially if Tentacruel has already laid Poison Spikes. Both Aqua Tail and Earthquake help to counter Tyranitar and Steel types, which has made Swampert the ideal counter of choice agianst major threats.

~Gliscor @Leftovers
Ability- Hyper Cutter
Impish Nature
252 HP/ 148 ATK/ 110 DEF (Made this spread myself since the in-depths were down)
-Knock Off
-Taunt
-U-turn
-Earthquake

Gliscor has also made a good addition to the team. Through Taunt and Knock Off, he can counter threats that were previously troublesome and a damaging switch is also very nice via U-turn. Earthquake is included as a major damaging ability which with Gliscor attack has hit fairly hard even agianst opposing tanks. Overall, Gliscor has made a decent contribution to the team.

THE WALL:

~Walrein @Leftovers
Ability- Ice Body
Bold Nature
220 HP/ 240 DEF/50 SPD
-Substitue
-Protect
-Roar
-Blizzard

The classic Hail wall, Walrein is by far the most fun to play with. Not really much to say, he SubProtects and Roars out more things into Poison Spikes then stalls them into oblivion making him an excellent addition to the team.

Overall, my main threat has by far been Tyranitar. His ability to change the weather and his movepool make him very hard to counter with just one pokemon, but he has gotten a bit easier with the addition of Mamoswine. Besides that, I find the team performs very consistenly and has been very fun to play with. I'm mainly just looking for any fine-tunnings people may have to bring the team up in its record a bit. Thanks for looking and please feel free to post any advice/criticisms!

Choice Scarf Mamo? Run Choice Band instead as you have priority Ice Shard. And you don't need to run that many Ice types because a hail stall team generally has problems with Metagross alternating EQ and BPunch. Thankfully you have Rotom, but Tyranitar, which is also a big problem with hail stall teams, eats him alive. I suggest that you put Gligar over Weavile as he helps with Tyranitar, Metagross and SDLuke which is immune to toxic status and OHKOES a good part of your team if he runs SD, Crunch, CC and ESpeed. And run Ice Beam over Blizzard because Pressure eats too much of it's already limited PP.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Although I think (s)he meant Gliscor, YJ is essentially right. Having both Mamoswine and Weavile is overkill. I myself struggle to find space for either of these two on my hail teams. Not only this, but it is currently giving you a huge fire-weakness, and you need SR somewhere on your team. For these reasons I would consider Swampert rather than Gliscor, since he resists Fire, Steel and Rock, some major weaknesses of the ice-type. Mamoswine has a fair chance of countering Lucario at full health, but I would suggest maybe a scarf Jirachi or something instead as a revenge killer. He can remove problems with CroCune with Trick, and makes a good switch-in and counter to Gyarados, Salamence, Latias and Tyranitar, currently problems, as well as being able to revenge-kill lucario with Fire punch after a CC drop.

I would suggest Surf over Blizzard on Walrein. Surf has much better neutral coverage than ice-type moves, particularly against those immune to toxic spikes. It has superior pp to blizzard and ice beam too.

I would suggest the changing of your Abomasnow spread. Specially defensive Abomasnow walls many bulky waters, who may be unable to break your subs, and absorbs specs latias draco meteors excellently. This also allows you to be slower than TTar leads by running a Sassy nature - this allows you to maintain your hail. 252hp 4def 252spdef is recommended, though you may drop your speed IV to be slower than hippowdon leads and to take reduced Gyro ball damage.

Good luck.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If it's a stall team, then what's with Mamoswine and Weavile? Neither of those are stallers.

Stall teams NEED Stealth Rock. It's the most important entry hazard. Go with Gliscor/Swampert like everyone said. In fact, you should use BOTH of these Pokemon. Gliscor can Taunt or Knock Off, while Swampert provides another Roarer and they both make sure that Tyranitar won't give you any problems.

All very valid and helpful points, thanks much! I'm guessing I was caught up in an Ice craze with those picks, seeing the hail damage just seemed like something I should've built around. I've seen Swampert in action, so I think he'd be a very valid addition to the team and Gliscor is a part of my main team in game, so I'll try them out and edit with my new data after some test rounds.

This team is seriously threatened by a T-tar with Superpower and EQ because it could come in easily on a resisted hit and hit back with two super effective moves. I think using a Frosslass set over Weavile could easily cure the fighting weakness. Something like this:

Frosslass@Focus Sash/Snow Cloak
Modest-252 HP/176 Sp. Def/180 Sp. Atk
Spikes/Taunt/Pain Split/Ice Beam

Also, As a lead, It has the ability to set up spikes and Taunt opposing lead to make sure they don't get SR up. If you get a Gliscor or the likes, you can even bluff not having a hail team.

P.S I don't know the exact EV spread as the smogon database is not working for me right now.

Nice Team and Good Luck!​

Updated with some suggestions from earlier, which I must say have drastically improved the team! In testing, I went 7-3 which was far better than the team was doing before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)