First Team - Sandstorm

Hey guys!

I've only been doing this whole competitive battling thing for a week or so so I've definitely got a lot to learn. I decided for my first team to go with a sandstorm. I'm still not too confident when it comes to EVs and hold items so please make suggestions! This team has worked pretty decently but I definitely could use some help tweaking it. Let me know what you think!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4Spe
Nature: Impish
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang
- Roar

I chose the hippo over TTar simply because Hippowdon can take down an opposing sandstorm with a TTar lead pretty quickly with EQ. Stealth rock is there to inflict as much residual damage per turn as possible and roar is to capitalize on stealth rock while also provided pHazing. I went with ice fang for the dragons that run wild and to pop any balloons that Excadrill or Heatran might be carrying before I hit 'em with an EQ.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128HP/252SpA/128Spe
Nature: Modest
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power (fire)
-Pain Split

I read a bit about this guy and decided to give him a whirl and he turned out to be one of my MVPs. Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump give me STAB and provide me some much needed help when facing a rain team that usually give me some trouble. HP fire is there for the endless stream of Ferrothorn and Scizor out there, although those guys start to give me some more problems if Rotom-W has already been taken out. Pain split gives this wall some more longevity while putting the hurt on the other guy.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252HP/48Def/208SpD
*0 Speed IVs
Nature: Relaxed
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Pretty much your standard Ferrothorn. Mostly comes in to weather some dragon hits and when it looks safe to try to lay down some spikes. Speed is slashed to optimize Gyro Ball and Power Whip is for some nice STAB coverage.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 164HP/160SpA/128SpD/56Spe
-Agility
-Surf
-Hidden Power (electric)
-Ice Beam

Honestly, I had higher hopes for Empoleon. Agility was supposed to give it the speed boost it needed to be a special sweeper with surd for STAB, Ice Beam for dragons, and HP electric for coverage that takes down gyarados. But I've found his typing makes it hard for me to effectively switch him in and that rarely do I get a chance to boost speed with risking a 1-or-2HKO. I'm definitely in the market for a replacement.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4HP/252Att/252Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor

A good tank, when he's able to net a SD. The EV spread is to capitalize on his ability and the nature is to make him just a bit faster than any other Excadrill who might have gone with Adamant. His air ballon lets him switch in on ground types and possibly get in a SD to start up his sweep. EQ is his go to STAB attack, with rock slide and x-scissor for coverage.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 172HP/32Def/252SpA/52SpD
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Recover
-Focus Blast

Magic guard prevents this guy from taking SS damage & life orb damage. He takes the role of a special sweeper, CM-up and then taking down the other guy. He provides some nice defence against the fighting guys that put the hurt on some other members of my team and his focus blast (when it hits) takes out annoying guys like Blissey.

I think I might want to fit another fire attack in here somewhere as Scizor is giving me some issues if Rotom-W has already been taken down. And Empoleon definitely needs to go as he is not pulling his weight at all. I would still like to have an Ice move in his replacement for the dragons we see everywhere.

Anyway, that's my team. Let me know what you think!

Well, you want something that can use Ice and Fire, and fits your team; how about a specially based Tyranitar? It lets you play a little more riskily with Hippowdon as it gives an extra sandstream user to set up your weather, and can surprise people who are expecting a physically based Ttar. You could use something like:

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Naive
56 Att/252 Sp. Att/200 Speed
Crunch/Superpower
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower(/Fire Blast)

The speed lets you outrun Adamant Scizor. If you don't care about that, you can make it Quiet and move the Speed EVs into giving it more bulk (or attack for Crunch/Superpower).

Or possibly a Sheer Force Nidoking, who is insanely powerful, and avoids sandstorm damage:

Nidoking @ Life Orb (Sheer Force)
Timid
4 Def/252 Sp. Att/252 Speed
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Earth Power

Earth Power is the man STAB option, but he gets such good coverage that you can hit SE on a lot of targets. Sheer Force powers up all of your moves and negates the LO recoil.

Conkeldurr is a large problem for the team and can Payback Reuniclus on the switch, you could use Gliscor who fits on a sandstorm team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)