FIRST UU TEAM

Hey guys, this is my first team in UU, as well as my first thread on smogon, so excuse any mistakes i make. Please rate and give SUPPORTIVE critizism. Thanks!

Team at a glance:

REGISTEEL @ Leftovers Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Nature: Careful (-SpAtk +SpDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

I've chosen Regi as a lead because he is very bulky as a lead, and almost always survives a special attacker (which i find more of in leads), and can take a physical hit. Also serves as a semi-special wall for those bug types that Umbreon cant handle. SR is a given, and Thunder Wave cripples those fast sweepers that switch into regi after the lead is done, or those anti-leads like Ambipom and Mienshao. Iron Head is there for dmg and flinching if the pokemon is slower than Regi (cant really find anything else there). Explosion, although nerfed, can finish off frail or low pokemon when regi isnt useful anymore. It absolutely despises anti-leads with taunt, such as sableye, and is forced to switch out.

UMBREON @ Leftovers Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Nature: Careful (-SpAtk +SpDef)
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Payback

Not much to say here. While Umbreon is getting less and less popular in the 5th gen metagame, it's still a great wall, stopping many special sweepers in their tracks, with it's Protect/Wish stall combo. It also serves as my switch-in to psychic types from Weezing, in which it proceeds to toxic stall or revenge kill with payback. Although payback is my only attacking move, i am considering replacing it with mean look, to ensure a kill. Umbreon is walled by steels and to a lesser extent, other dark types.

WEEZING @ Black Sludge Ability: Levitate
EVs 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed (-Spe +Def)
- Clear Smog
- Will-o-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Pain Split

Ahh Weezing, one of the most underrated tanks in the metagame. I've chosen Weezing as the physical wall for three reasons: 1. It has the ability levitate, so it can switch in on those EQs and other ground moves that demolish Arcanine and Registeel. 2. It is immune to spikes AND toxic spikes, so it wont get as much entry hazard damage, therefore keeping it in longer. 3. Clear Smog. Oh boy, this move is BA. It completely shuts down any sweepers from setting up, almost like a haze but with dmg. I chose this over Haze because it will go through Magic Bounce/Coat, and leaves me with an open slot for a move instead of an attacking move. I chose W-o-W over Toxic because it can hit steels and will cripple physical pokemon. Pain Split is mainly for stalling, and healing off the dmg of the hits it will be taking. Destiny Bond is a last ditch attempt to kill the attacking pokemon, and also used for pokemon that are switching in, although i am considering Shadow Sneak to finish off pokemon. Black Sludge over Leftys for those annoying Trick/Switcheroo pokemon. However, it is completely walled by steels, unless it can destiny bond it.

LILLIGANT @ Life Orb Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Modest (-Atk +SpAtk)
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Quiver Dance

My Special Sweeper. This cute and better Bellossom is a monster if she can set up a sleep powder, in which she proceeds to set up with quiver dance. HP Fire is there for the bug types and steels who think they can wall lilligant (guess again :3). Because of Life Orb recoil, Giga Drain is there to heal off dmg, eliminating the need for synthesis. It somewhat counters sun teams due to it's ability Chlorophyll, OKHOing Chlorophyll Grasses. It has a very hard time with dragons and fires, however. I have been think of HP Ice to get another dragon and Flying/Ground counter, because sometimes Chan isnt enough.

ARCANINE @ Choice Band Ability: Flash Fire
EVs 252 Atk/252 Spef/4 Hp
Nature: Adamant (-SpAtk +Atk)
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Crunch/Wild Charge
- Extremespeed

Arcanine is my fire absorber, being able to switch in to the many fire types in the metagame. He also hits hard. Very hard. He has just enough speed to hit big threats, and can also take a hit or two with it's reasonable bulk. Coverage is good, although i am still debating whether i should use crunch or wild charge.

Hitmonchan @ Choice Scarf Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Jolly (-SpAtk +Spe)
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Overshadowed by the other hitmons, you would think he wouldn't be used. Think again. This guy is an excellent revenge killer and the counter to dragons, thanks to it's scarf. It has priority bullet punch to finish off pokemon, and it's coverage is good. Iron Fist powers up his attacks even more. I am considering Mach Punch over Bullet due to STAB, but it has less coverage.

Well, That's it!! I am hoping to find more coverage, namely ground and rock moves, and is considering the almighty quaggy, although with unaware, it would be a DW team...
Please leave suggestions for me and thanks for reading!

Hmm just looking at your team it seems like you might have a problem with grounds and rocks like you said.
My suggestion would be a slowbro. It may seem very overused in UU but it can work wonders.
I would say to switch out your weezing with a slowbro with a set similar to this:

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Psyshock

if the problem though is that you want to be able to handle sweepers and such may I suggest:

Golbat (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Super Fang
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

This is actually a set that I use. Most of the time you can identify which pokes will attempt to set up on you. You go in with the taunt, and depending on the poke you can often times toxic/roost/super fang 'em.

If there are any specific pokemon that aren't working as well as you wish on your team it may help knowing which pokes they are

Hey a few quick things
1. On Arcanine, Wild Charge is a MUCH better choice over Crunch, because on a banded Arcanine it laughs @ predicted bulky water switch ins. What does Crunch cover that WC doesn't? Slowbro is hit by WC.
2. If Hitmonchan's main purpose is to revenge kill (usually with Bullet Punch), why the scarf? It would make more sense to (since he has max speed) just hit them with Banded priority moves or 289 speed powered up punch moves. You could also probably switch T-punch out for Mach Punch so you have two options for banded priority.
3. With auto-sun out of the metagame, Chlorophyll is now no longer really necessary to beat sun teams. You could opt for Petal Dance/Own Tempo combo, where Liligant fires off massively powerful STABed and boosted Petal Dances w/o becoming confused. Of course, that means that you don't have recovery, but it can inflict massive damage before it goes down, since it's faster than most of the metagame after one QD. That is, if you insist on using it. With the special-wall dominated metagame (and Chansey) that is currently UU, you might just consider using another strong physical attacker, like Heracross. The player Flaretroll runs a 6 physical attacking team and is perpetually in the top 10. Liligant is also pretty frail.
4. You MIGHT try an Umbreon set that has the capability to sweep if it can get set up. I've used it on other teams, and it looks something like this:

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Wish
- Toxic
- Curse
- Payback

It gets rid of the wish/protect combo, in return for greater physical walling capabilities and a chance to sweep people. It seems like most people don't really fear Umbreon when it sets up a few Curses, and at +3, Umbreon can wreck, or use Wish to keep its health at a decent level while it sets up +6 for the sweep. Even Steels have a hard time w/+6. Make sure you don't try to set him up too early, though. After +2 his special def and def are about equal, making him really hard to take down with anything short of a Heracross' Close Combat or something.

Those are my recommendations, given your defensive core and lead.

Explosion kinda sucks this meta with the nerf, so I would replace Explosion with Seismic Toss on Registeel, also, Weezing is too slow to effectively abuse Destiny Bond, so put Fire Blast there. It can destroy Steel-type switch-ins.

HP Rock > Fire because Rock can hit bug and flying types like fire while hitting other types such as fire and ice. You do lose hitting steels/other grass, but I use a similar set to yours, just that with the HP Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)