Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Reportedly, a lot of people have been getting DCs in rated matches. Huy theorized that if you DC a lot/just unlucky enough to get a couple of DCs from the opponent, the system begins to pair you up with other DCers.

On the topic of rated matches, my current rating is 1764 with 26-0 win/loss on Singles. Can't wait till the ranking update on Wednesday. Haven't gotten any DCs, surprisingly.

Ugh, I wish I could RNG so I could actually use this.
Breed a "rough" version first (just focusing on one or two ideal IVs) with the right nature, and test from there.

When you find something more ideal, focus on RNGing what you're aiming for when you have more time.

Anyone know any good anti-weather pokes/sets? I've been getting absolutely dominated by all the weather teams floating around... I was thinking maybe a scarf nidoking @ Ice Beam, Thunder, Fire Blast, and Surf or something like that. suggestions?

Anyone know any good anti-weather pokes/sets? I've been getting absolutely dominated by all the weather teams floating around... I was thinking maybe a scarf nidoking @ Ice Beam, Thunder, Fire Blast, and Surf or something like that. suggestions?
cloud nine liclylicky it has the same coverage and better typing for countering weather.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Rotom-W does a decent job against rain and sandstorm. Just watch out for Ferrothorn (though you can HP Fire it in sand/Trick it)

Ferrothorn is a decent insurance against Rain but rain users are usually prepared for this so keep an eye out

You can fight weather with weather

As odd as this might be, Speed Boost Blaziken has been doing pretty well for me as anti-weather of sorts. It eats sun (barring Chandelure, and if you have Stone edge this goes too), and most Rain abusers don't like eating HJKs (this and Blaziken can potentially outrun the Swift Swimmers with Speed Boost and putting them on the defensive). It fares decently against sand too.

I have seen a decent amount of Abomasnows around - usually Sashed or Scarfed - to act as an anti-weather of sorts. While it doesn't help too much against Drought, it does fairly well against Drizzle (watch out for Politoed Focus Blasts), and...checks sandstream to a small extent I guess.

I find weather easier to handle in here than in OU (yes, this is including the Swift Swimmers being available for use and all that), mainly because you can crop out weather-susceptible Pokemon from the 3-man team and also taking better advantage of the fact that certain Pokemon are weather-reliant as a result (this is rather hard to explain, but I ended up having to remove Excadrill from my team (which has TTar), because it limited the possibilities of mini-teams I could use due to its reliance on Sandstream). Take care that your opponent does not catch you while you prepare for them, however.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I'm currently 5-0 in singles with about 20+ disconnects... It's very frustrating and makes me not really want to play anymore. Nintendo should really do something about this, if possible.

I'm currently 5-0 in singles with about 20+ disconnects... It's very frustrating and makes me not really want to play anymore. Nintendo should really do something about this, if possible.
^^^^^^^this x 1000000000^^^^^^^

fucking bitch faces always disconnecting....ive noticed people disconnect less in rating battles, has anyone else noticied this?

If one D/C's enough, they'll be disqualified from the GBU, as seen here.

EDIT: I've noticed that the lower the ranking, the less likely they are to D/C (most of the time). Conversely, those with higher ratings seem to D/C more.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm about 12 and 10 in Random Battles. Sometimes they're hard, sometimes it's a riot, and sometimes I laugh my ass off when I set up CM Virizion against a Zapdos.

As far as mini teams.... I find team building to feel radically different in this format than others. I've been playing around a double weather team (sun/rain or somesuch) but.... that's a bit off since I lack the right pokemon.

I've been building along the lines of physical sweeper/special sweeper/wall, which fares okay. You always end up with some glaring hole in your mini team though, which you have to be careful of.

Anyone have any advice, or general principles that have served them well?

Using a standard style overused team seems to only get so far here.

I abuse Drizzle SwSw with a Politoed Ludicolo Kingdra team. The other members are to ward off counters. Shedinja and Zoroark are fun to mess with people.

I've seen really good success. 90% of people use Garchomp and SB Blaziken which I handle well. My only counter is Raikou and a well played TR but those are surprisingly rare. What would the best counter to anti-weather Raikou be?

Some people also play very dirty. I had one guy using a stall OHKO team that took his whole 2min to choose an attack every turn. I lost to a Suicune with Sheer Cold Rest Sleep Talk and Double Team.

It should perhaps be added to the front page if it isn't already generally known:

Trainer "Card" changes for the GBU modes:

0 Stars : 0-49 wins (Purple stripe)
1 Star : 50-99 wins (Green stripe)
2 Stars : 100 -199 wins (Bronze stripe)
3 Stars : 200-499 wins (Silver stripe)
4 Stars : 500-999 wins (Gold stripe)
5 Stars : 1000+ wins (Black/White stripe)

This is what my observations have led me to believe is the case, though I'm not certain on the 5-star stripe color (I assume it's Black and White based on the trainer card, as they seem to correspond). I'm pretty sure about the numbers but I can't absolutely verify it past 3 stars because there are few people around with cards that high. Can anyone verify this information?

Rotom-W does a decent job against rain and sandstorm. Just watch out for Ferrothorn (though you can HP Fire it in sand/Trick it)

Ferrothorn is a decent insurance against Rain but rain users are usually prepared for this so keep an eye out

You can fight weather with weather

As odd as this might be, Speed Boost Blaziken has been doing pretty well for me as anti-weather of sorts. It eats sun (barring Chandelure, and if you have Stone edge this goes too), and most Rain abusers don't like eating HJKs (this and Blaziken can potentially outrun the Swift Swimmers with Speed Boost and putting them on the defensive). It fares decently against sand too.

I have seen a decent amount of Abomasnows around - usually Sashed or Scarfed - to act as an anti-weather of sorts. While it doesn't help too much against Drought, it does fairly well against Drizzle (watch out for Politoed Focus Blasts), and...checks sandstream to a small extent I guess.

I find weather easier to handle in here than in OU (yes, this is including the Swift Swimmers being available for use and all that), mainly because you can crop out weather-susceptible Pokemon from the 3-man team and also taking better advantage of the fact that certain Pokemon are weather-reliant as a result (this is rather hard to explain, but I ended up having to remove Excadrill from my team (which has TTar), because it limited the possibilities of mini-teams I could use due to its reliance on Sandstream). Take care that your opponent does not catch you while you prepare for them, however.
i had trouble with a wash rotom yesterday. i run a sandstorm team with tyranitar, excadrill, ruiniclus and my only plan against the rotom was to pp stall its hydro pump with ruiniclus' recover and it seemed to be working but then he switched to garchomp. i wasnt sure what i could do but then we disconnected. still though, rotom is going to be a problem for my team, anybody know any good counters for it? also hippowdon seems to be a problem for my team (the ones i face usually run yawn/earthquake/slack off and something else)
also im 4-2 in free rating singles. i wish i could battle more but my wifi is crap :(

Jibaku

Rotom-W has a couple of notable counters:
- Grass types resist both of its STABs and can KO it back with its own STAB
- Latias and Latios can easily absorb its shots and strike back with Draco Meteor
- Chansey/Blissey are also strong counters
- If you're into gimmicks, Lanturn completely walls Rotom-W

Keep in mind Rotom-W has access to some nasty tricks, such as Trick, Volt Switch, Thunder Wave, HP Fire (yes I've run into this one before), Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp, and its resistances allow it to get a fair amount of switch ins so it might be hard to nail down.

Rotom-W has a couple of notable counters:
- Grass types resist both of its STABs and can KO it back with its own STAB
- Latias and Latios can easily absorb its shots and strike back with Draco Meteor
- Chansey/Blissey are also strong counters
- If you're into gimmicks, Lanturn completely walls Rotom-W

Keep in mind Rotom-W has access to some nasty tricks, such as Trick, Volt Switch, Thunder Wave, HP Fire (yes I've run into this one before), Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp, and its resistances allow it to get a fair amount of switch ins so it might be hard to nail down.
i was thinking a whimsicott would be good because it can substall it and i was thinking of teaching it taunt or swithceroo to gaurd against rotoms tricks, would this work? im also thinking of ferrothorn because my team is a sandstorm team

It should perhaps be added to the front page if it isn't already generally known:

Trainer "Card" changes for the GBU modes:

0 Stars : 0-49 wins (Purple stripe)
1 Star : 50-99 wins (Green stripe)
2 Stars : 100 -199 wins (Bronze stripe)
3 Stars : 200-499 wins (Silver stripe)
4 Stars : 500-999 wins (Gold stripe)
5 Stars : 1000+ wins (Black/White stripe)

This is what my observations have led me to believe is the case, though I'm not certain on the 5-star stripe color (I assume it's Black and White based on the trainer card, as they seem to correspond). I'm pretty sure about the numbers but I can't absolutely verify it past 3 stars because there are few people around with cards that high. Can anyone verify this information?
I can confirm this, as I have seen people with all sorts of ratings and have observed the same thing.

Can you confirm whether the 5 -star stripe is Black/White? White seems a little silly because Silver looks almost the same.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Weird thing happened today on Rated mode - I found the same person three times in a row.

Battle One: I won 1-0.
Battle Two: I lost 0-2.
Battle Three: I DC'd. I knew she (judging by the avatar) was better than me and didn't feel like battling the same person three times in a row.

My record is now about 18-14 with a ranking in the mid-to-high 1500s. Haven't been DC'd on yet.

After battling at least 200 people (not many really), I've noticed something: the only 3 things I'm truly "afraid" of/see as major threats are focus sashes, choice scarfs, and Togekiss w/ choice scarf. Other than that... Nothing is truly intimidating (MAYBE Scizor, but I've yet to see one without a moveset of SD/Night Slash/Fury Cutter/False Swipe...)

After battling at least 200 people (not many really), I've noticed something: the only 3 things I'm truly "afraid" of/see as major threats are focus sashes, choice scarfs, and Togekiss w/ choice scarf. Other than that... Nothing is truly intimidating (MAYBE Scizor, but I've yet to see one without a moveset of SD/Night Slash/Fury Cutter/False Swipe...)
False Swipe..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)