Full Circle [Warstory] Clutch and Explosive! (OU)

So I was laddering one day, and I stumbled upon a friend of mine, chenman333. We gave each other our salutations and proceeded to battle. Now I know he is better than me so I didn't expect much, but the ending was really close and I'll bet you didn't see it coming.

My Team:

This team is neither offensive nor stall oriented. The basis of this team is U-turn, and 4 of my pokemon learn it. The theory is that each individual member is offensive enough that I can keep my opponent off balance and slowly wither them down. It's had moderately good success on the ladder, though the most common mistake I make is U-turning when they did not switch.
I will not show you his team, since that ruins the fun =p.

And without further ado, here is the battle.

My Comments will be in bold.

100%------- 100%

boredomisbliss sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
chenman333 sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf ?).

Both of us use an Azelf lead. It's recently become the #1 lead on the ladder, and is now my personal favorite. In my experience chenman has preferred bulkier leads so this somewhat surprised me. My own Azelf is pretty non-standard, it runs grass knot, flamethrower, u-turn, and taunt, and has expert belt over focus sash, since expert belt guarantees the OHKO on swampert and 2HKO on Occa-gross. I make the same move here as I do against all Azelf leads, U-turn to my scarf Flygon since most Azelf use fire blast. Hey, gotta make use of that expert belt right? :naughty:

Azelf used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!
Azelf used U-turn.

A critical hit!
It's super effective!
Azelf lost 100% of its health.

Azelf hung on using its Focus Sash!
boredomisbliss switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon).

100% -------1%

Well, hax opens up the game with a not important critical hit. (That's why you run sash people) So this Azelf decided to taunt me instead of using Fire Blast. That taunt didn't particularly do anything useful, in fact Azelf immediately switched in. The next move is incredibly obvious. U-turn will scout for his switch, though at the same time it will prevent him from setting up his stealth rocks, very important since my team likes to switch a lot.

chenman333 switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h ?).
Flygon used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Rotom-h lost 8% of its health.

100% -------92%

My team hates ghosts, especially the one named rotom. At this point I don't know anything about it, besides the fact that its the floating heater. It could be scarfed, which means my best answer, my gengar, is actually beaten by this thing. Now, there is one way to take advantage of this thing if it is indeed scarfed, and that is to lock it onto shadow ball and pursuit it with scizor. At this point I don't have much to lose, and even if that Rotom isn't scarfed, that means Gengar can cook the thing.

boredomisbliss switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar).
boredomisbliss switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor).
Rotom-h used Shadow Ball.
It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 18% of its health.

82% -------92%

So my initial impression was correct, based on the lack of leftovers recovery, this thing is in fact scarfed. So I don't have to switch to flygon to take the overheat or anything, I just have to smack it with a pursuit: if he runs it hurts, if he stays in it still hurts.

It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 21% of its health.
Scizor used Pursuit.
It’s super effective!
Rotom-h lost 79% of its health.

61% -------13%

It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 18% of its health.
Scizor used Pursuit.
A critical hit!
It’s super effective!
Rotom-h lost 13% of its health.
chenman333’s Rotom-h fainted.

43% ------- 0%

Again, hax shows up in all the unimportant places...

Score: 6-5 Me

chenman333 switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).

43% -------100%

Oh boy, Heatran always likes to show its ugly metal face to scizor, probably because its the best counter in the game. No sense in staying in while I'm locked onto pursuit right? The obvious switch is to vaporeon, my bulky water who can take anything heatran has and KO back with surf.

boredomisbliss switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon).
Heatran used Substitute.
Heatran lost 25% of its health.
Heatran made a substitute!

100% -------75%

Oh boy, a sub-variant. There isn't really much else to do, besides Surf.

Heatran used Hidden Power.
It’s super effective!
Vaporeon lost 58% of its health.
Heatran lost 10% of its health.
Vaporeon used Surf.

It’s super effective!
The substitute took damage for Heatran!
Heatran's substitute faded!
Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little!

48% ------- 65%

Ok, two things surprised me on this move. The first is that this heatran does not carry toxic, but rather a hidden power. (electric or grass I have no idea, but it doesn't really matter since heatran will not be using hidden power on anything electric or grass hits) The second is that this Heatran carries Life Orb not Leftovers. Someone needs to explain to me why you would put Life Orb on something that is killing itself with substitute and does not have any form of recovery. At this point, I know he can finish me with hidden power, but my priority here is going to be to ensure that he does not have a substitute up in case I switch. Yes, he may end up killing vaporeon easily, but Flygon can revenge kill this thing so easily.

Heatran used Substitute.
Heatran lost 25% of its health.
Heatran made a substitute!

Vaporeon used Surf.
It’s super effective!
The substitute took damage for Heatran!
Heatran's substitute faded!

54% -------40%

It's good to see that I didn't switch or I'd be in a bad position. I don't expect him to substitute again so that means vaporeon is going to the Mightyenas today. In retrospect this was the second dumbest of my moves in the game. I was so sure that Heatran was going to KO me that I used wish on the off chance that I did survive. However, I recently took out protect for Ice Beam to better handle salamence and gyarados, and I noticed just too late. (the moveset is surf-ice beam-roar-wish)

It’s super effective!
Vaporeon lost 50% of its health.
Vaporeon used Wish.

Vaporeon made a wish!

10% -------30%

Wow, this move was pretty pivotal. How did Hidden Power do 58% then but only 50% here? Dang the variation is pretty big. However since I don't run protect there isn't anything else to do, the Mightyenas are coming.

It’s super effective!
Vaporeon lost 10% of its health.
boredomisbliss’s Vaporeon fainted.

Score: 5-5

100% -------20%

The obvious move here is Earthquake, but hold on a second. He just took out my #1 answer to Heatran, and my Scizor is still at large, so I am thinking there is no way he is going to keep Heatran in. Also, based on what I saw, the hardest thing I am going to take is a Hidden Power Grass, since I resist flamethrower/fire blast and I'm immune to HP electric and earth power, so a wrong U-turn here wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

chenman333 switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Flygon used U-turn.
It’s super effective!
Latias lost 51% of its health.
chenman333: T_T

100% -------49%

T_T is right! Undoubtedly he did not want to risk me using Earthquake for the reasons stated above, and decided to go to his Earthquake resist. Unfortunately for him his Earthquake resist was hit super effective with my bug move, and I get a free switch. The easy answer here would be Scizor, but Bullet Punch is too risky since his Heatran is still at large, and there is still much of his team that I don't know.

boredomisbliss sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).

100% -------49%

Azelf isn't really here to do anything besides ensure that he uses Draco Meteor as opposed surf or thunderbolt, since both of those would hurt Scizor much more than I want. Azelf packs U-turn which in the case of a Draco Meteor miss, would KO Latias and allow me a switch to my very fast Flygon, from which point I can U-turn as necessary.

Latias used Draco Meteor.
Azelf lost 100% of its health.

boredomisbliss’s Azelf fainted.
Latias's special attack was harshly lowered.

0% -------49% (-2 Special Attack)

Score: 4-5 chenman

Obvious. Now to go to stage 2 of my Latias killing machine.

43% -------49%

Pursuit and he runs = I win. Pursuit and he stays = I win. What's not to love?

Latias used Draco Meteor.
It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 22% of its health.
Latias's special attack was harshly lowered.

Scizor used Pursuit.
It’s super effective!
Latias lost 49% of its health.
chenman333’s Latias fainted.

21% ------- 0%

Score: 4-4

A Quick Recap
My Team (Alive)-----------------(Fainted) ---------(Unrevealed)

His Team (Alive)------ (Fainted) --------(Unrevealed)------

chenman333 switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).

24% -------20%

Omg it's the giant lava thing again! Right now I can tell that he is going to unleash his fire move right here, since he cannot make another substitute. So I go to the only thing on my team left that can take a fire move, Flygon, who can also revenge kill.

Heatran used Fire Blast.
It’s not very effective…
Flygon lost 52% of it’s health.

48% -------10%

Ow. "Not very effective" my ass.
Here I have two options: U-turn in hopes that he switches, or Earthquake. U-turn is not as safe an option anymore, since nothing on my team can take a LO fire blast, even Flygon. He also has two unrevealed pokemon that might resist earthquake though, but if I know chenman I'll bet that one of them is a lucario anyways. (he loves lucario =p)

chenman333 switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence’s intimidate cut Flygon’s attack!
Flygon used Earthquake.
It doesn’t affect Salamence…

48% (-1 Attack) 100%

Oh boy a Salamence. Absolutely no sense staying in on this at all. Ok. So what could this salamence be? Most likely it could be a mixmence, in which case it will most likely dump a draco meteor on me, or it could be a Dragon Dance variant, in which case it will need a dragon dance. Either way, my flygon is maxed in speed, and a quick peek at the July Statistics tells me that statistically, this salamence most likely does not run a +speed nature. The best of both worlds is a switch to Scizor. Draco Meteor will KO if it's a mixmence, but probably nothing on his team can take an outrage, since Heatran and Azelf are pretty much near dead, but I'm taking guesses about his last. If it's a DD variant Scizor will force him to attack, so I can outrage with Flygon.

Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence’s attack was raised.
Salemence’s speed was raised.

24% -------100% (+1 Attack, +1 Speed)

Ok, Dragon Dance. Salamence is probably going to attack in fear of 2HKO Bullet Punch. It could either use fire blast, earthquake, or lock itself into outrage. (just the most likely options, later I would learn how wrong I was) It would most likely not be outrage, and flygon resists earthquake and fire blast. Flygon was my Plan A anyways so,
Salamence used Earthquake.
Flygon makes ground moves miss with Levitate!

48% -------100% (+1 Attack, +1 Speed)

No chances here. Gotta go for that Outrage KO.

Flygon used Outrage.
It’s super effective!
Salamence lost 94% of its health.
Salamence used Dragon Claw.
It’s super effective!
Flygon lost 48% of its health.
boredomisbliss’s Flygon fainted.

0% -------6% (+1 Attack, +1 Speed)

Score: 3-4 chenman

What???? Not only did Outrage fail to KO but he did not lock himself into Outrage for Scizor to ensure the revenge kill... This must have been a very bulky salamence (which it was) since there is no other way Flygon would have missed the OHKO. At this point I say my prayers, and do the most sensible thing left.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Salamence lost 6% of its health.
chenman333’s Salamence fainted.

24% -------0%

Score: 3-3

chenman333 switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?)

24% -------10%

Ever see Scizor beat Heatran in a way other than predicting the switch and using superpower? I'm still not sure why he did this, though it would not have made a difference in the end. It was probably a misclick or something, but it's still a gift,

It’s not very effective…
chenman333’s Heatran fainted.

24% ------- 0%

Score: 3-2 Me

chenman333 switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?)

24% ------- 100%

So his last pokemon is a Scizor... not surprising once you think about it. Nothing I can do here except hope for something good to happen.

It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 24% of its health.
Scizor used Superpower.
Scizor lost 24% of its health.
boredomisbliss’s Scizor fainted.
Scizor's attack was lowered.
Scizor's defence was lowered.

Score: 2-2

0% -------76% (-1 Attack, -1 Defense)

A Scizor locked on superpower is a godsend, since I can now use one of my:

boredomisbliss sent out Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar).

100% -------76% (-1 Attack, -1 Defense)

This Gengar is a sub variant with HP fire, focus punch, and shadow ball. It's here to break skarmbliss stall and to deal with scizor and tyranitar more effectively. The best option in retrospect would clearly have been to use substitute, and even then it would have been the better choice. Guess I got a little excited...

Gengar used Hidden Power.
It’s super effective!
Scizor lost 76% of its health.
chenman333’s Scizor fainted.

100% -------0%

Score: 2-1 Me

chenman333 sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf ?).

100% ------- 1%

Remember that Azelf that I haxed in the first turn of the match? Well it came back, with that 1% from its focus sash. (That's why you run sash boys!") Well it outruns me, so there's nothing I can do.

Azelf used Psychic.
It’s super effective!
Gengar lost 100% of its health.
boredomisbliss’s Gengar fainted.

0% -------1%

Score: 1-1

My last unrevealed is a Celebi, but I didn't to bring it in in case a resisted psychic would have increased the chance for fire blast to KO. In retrospect that would have been the clear better choice. Well you saw this coming:

boredomisbliss sent out Celebi (lvl 100 Celebi).
Azelf used Explosion.
Celebi lost 100% of its health.
boredomisbliss’s Celebi fainted.
chenman333 wins!

0% ------- 1%

Great battle chenman, that's about as close as its going to get... I disapprove of the technicality, but I can name 2 instances where I won becase Life orb recoil kicks in after they faint... so GG =).

Props:
chenman for being such a great opponent
My Scizor, for killing 4 of his pokes, including Heatran
His Azelf, for pulling the clutch explosion, and for having focus sash
Hax, for not showing up much

Slops:
Neither of us had Stealth Rocks out. FYI, Celebi is my stealth rocker.
Me for not using substitute on gengar when I had the chance, and for missing the opportunity for a Heatran KO
Flygon for not KOing (BULKYMENCE!!!)
His Rotom: for doing nothing.
Explosion, for fainting the user after it faints the opponent.
My Azelf for not being sashed.

Well here is his team:

Well this is my first warstory I hope you enjoyed it, took me 2 hours to make x_x. Well it's good night for me happy reading.

It kind of bugged me how you gave up vaporeon (who was admittedly death fodder anyway) when you could have just switched to flygon pretty much for free considering that you used wish.
Other than that (and not using sub >_>) this was a good enough read for me :]

I love the use of Missingno.

Some calcs:
Choice Scarf Jolly Flygon's Outrage vs Physically Bulky Mence
299 Atk vs 241 Def & 394 HP (120 Base Power): 320 - 380 (81.22% - 96.45%)
That 94% was quite high.
CB Scizor's Bullet Punch vs Heatran:
591 Atk vs 248 Def & 323 HP (60 Base Power): 38 - 45 (11.76% - 13.93%)Moral of the story: Get your rocks out kids! This match would have played completely differently with them out!

Not bad. I'll just like to point out that SubTran with Life Orb isn't that stupid. August's ST5 team uses one. It's done mainly to get the benefits of Substitute and turn some 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It was hp grass, as you can see from chens rmt. By the way chen, I preferred modest when I playtested :).

But yes why the fuck didn't you sub on scizor, azelf dies and even scizor loses to celebi when locked into bullet punch. Your team also looks to have huge stall issues lol but you played it well until the end, nice warstory :)

It kind of bugged me how you gave up vaporeon (who was admittedly death fodder anyway) when you could have just switched to flygon pretty much for free considering that you used wish.
Other than that (and not using sub >_>) this was a good enough read for me :]
I was about to say the same. After wishing, you could've had a free switch-in to Flygon, as even Fire Blast did about half, and Vaporeon could've been there for death fodder in the end.

Oh well, your writing was good, and with an above average battle, it made this a good read. Good gob.

this was a decent warstory,its nice to see someone using missingno sprites,and the commetary was good

good job:8/10

Cool read! :) Although I'd just like to point out that Heatran isn't a Scizor counter by definition, cuz as you know it can't switch into a Superpower :p

Very enjoyable warstory, albeit with a few peculiar aspects.

The parts where you didn't switch to Flygon after Wish and didn't Sub on Scizor have already been covered. However, call me weird, but the part that bugged me the most was the 40% damage variation on Rotom's Shadow Ball. Where the hell did that come from? I still can't figure it out.

Great warstory.Nothing else to say.

P.s.In the quick recap you say that Gengar is unrevealed but Gengar was sent out to the battle against rotom to scout the set.

What? Where? I don't see 40% variation on any Shadow Ball in this warstory...

Good read, btw :)

It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 21% of its health.
Scizor used Pursuit.
It’s super effective!
Rotom-h lost 79% of its health.

It’s not very effective…
Scizor lost 15% of its health.
Scizor used Pursuit.
A critical hit!
It’s super effective!
Rotom-h lost 13% of its health.
chenman333’s Rotom-h fainted.
21 / 15 = 1.4 = 40% variation. It's odd because the RNG only allows a max variation of ~17.5%.

Just wanted to point out at the point where you recap, Gengar was revealed. You brought it in on rotom to draw the shadow ball that gave your scizor a free switch in. Otherwise nice read.

wow so many more people post here than the RMTs =p

i feel obliged to explain the variation in shadow ball- the last shadow ball did NOT do 15%, since notepad likes to stuff infinite text onto a single line i copied all the %s by hand at 11 pm. As it stands the %s are correct.

yes the 2 stupidest moves were vaporeon and gengar not subbing, but here is another scenario that still would have netted chenman the win:

gengar vs scizor:
gengar subs, chenman goes to azelf
azelf psychics and dies
celebi vs scizor: my celebi runs leaf storm and u-turn for attacking so i bid it gl against a scizor =)

I played like a dumbass, I was lucky boredom was dumber.

Scizor can't 2hko BulkyMence; I should have gone for that 2nd DD, Roost once or twice and hope I don't get critical hitted, kill it and sweep the rest of the team.

I shouldn't have switched Heatran in on Scizor....I should have Bullet Punched Scizor instead of Superpower, as I vaguely remember that he uses a less bulky Celebi.

So yeah, a lack of thinking on my part.

@ Stellar, I'll give Modest a shot. I've faced some disturbingly bulky Swampert (Cursepert), Suicunes, and Vappys that have been annoying. Though not outspeeding Adamant Gyara is a disappointment, though Fire Blast seriously hurts Salamence/Gyarados.

I played like a dumbass, I was lucky boredom was dumber.

Scizor can't 2hko BulkyMence; I should have gone for that 2nd DD, Roost once or twice and hope I don't get critical hitted, kill it and sweep the rest of the team.

I shouldn't have switched Heatran in on Scizor....I should have Bullet Punched Scizor instead of Superpower, as I vaguely remember that he uses a less bulky Celebi.

So yeah, a lack of thinking on my part.

FYI i run a physically bulky celebi,
Scizor BP vs Celebi:

591 Atk vs 320 Def & 404 HP (60 Base Power): 120 - 142 (29.70% - 35.15%)

But then again:
Celebi Leaf Storm vs Scizor
236 Atk vs 239 Def & 311 HP (140 Base Power): 37 - 44 (11.90% - 14.15%)

Man i really shoulda gotten rocks up, although there wasn't really any opportunity to at all, except maybe after the latias dmeteor. That celebi is a standard scarf jirachi lead atm.

and i also run 8 speed on my scizor, since I have been converted to think more speed is better =p

still, explosion was a pretty badass finish

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
It kept my attention the whole battle through, which is saying something for a first-time warstory. Great job!

I really enjoyed the graphics you used for each turn as well as the part where you reviewed what had happened to each poke.

Your formatting was very easy to read, and the game itself was also good. You did some really cool stuff at a couple points, like the Gengar -> Scizor to lock Rotom into shadow ball and/or check for leftovers recovery.

A few mistakes are forgiveable.

I would have liked a more suspenseful ending though. You know, where something might miss and lose the game, or there is the possibility of a crit ruining the game, etc. That was missing from this one, and having it would have really added a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)