Galactic Crush

Introduction | The Beginning

As much as I enjoyed playing this team on the ladder (my most powerful team yet but not really as fun as Chrono Berserker) I feel I have hit a dead end. What I made here is a team containing offensive threats that keep the pressure on, what my goal here is to hit has fast and as hard as possible when trying to deviate away from the norm on Lucario (Bullet Punch). This team is inspired by offensive teams pre-platinum, running sweeper Pokemon that can overwhelm my opponent as well as stall. So now, the point of this team is like all offensive teams, to overwhelm my opponent with offensive raw power, with two set up sweepers and the rest straight up attackers I can accomplish this goal 80% if I play smart.

With Stealth Rock out on my side, my Gyarados and Salamence can have trouble switching around, Gyarados can somewhat recover a bit of his health with Leftovers but Sandstorm ruins that and especially ruins Salamence, however Mamoswine's ability to force switches somewhat makes it easier for Gyarados and Salamence to come in, as sash will be ruined the minute they switch in again (by then SR is out) so I can use Gyarados to take out the lead, this doesn't work all the time though. Apart from that the team is pretty solid as far as entry hazards are concerned. Of course this team is successful, despite what people say I have an easier time beating stuff like Jolteon (who can really only come in after one Pokemon is dead) and Starmie (same deal but fairs better against this team) I am going to retire this team after some more games as I have honestly gotten bored with it, but I am still open to suggestions, if you have suggestions be sure to post them.

In-Depth Analysis | The Team

| | | | | | |

------------

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash***SwineKing
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk | 6 Def | 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Set Analysis

Lead Mamoswine (slightly modified) was first seen on Stellar's Storming The Castle team which was used during the Latios test, wanting to try something new with team building I decided to try him out and though he is not the best lead out there that I have used, he comes pretty damn close. This lead Mamoswine is mainly here for me to score some kills against dragon types but he does more than that for the team. I Stealth Rock as quickly as possible because of Mamoswine's ability to force switches, should I get lucky enough for my opponent to switch out I switch Mamoswine out and save him for later.

The EVs and nature is pretty self explanatory, I opted for Jolly nature over Adamant as Mamoswine being a force to be reckoned with died too quickly for my liking, Jolly gave me enough speed to out speed certain Pokemon later on in the match. For the EVs max attack and speed was the most logical choice here as Mamoswine is really a defensive Pokemon, plus I would want as much speed as possible to hit key Pokemon. Ice Shard + Endeavour is the key of this set, this combo at times has allowed me to take out threats like Scizor and friends providing Sash has not already been broken, Endeavour used in conjunction Ice Shard ensures I gain a free kill which can be game breaking. This offensive team relies sorely on Stealth Rock for some key KOs as well as check Salamence and Gyarados, though this cannot stop other teams from setting up rocks, Mamoswine's overall high attack and ability to set up Stealth Rock 99% of the time made him a worthy addition to the team.

---

Gyarados @ Leftovers***Leviathan
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Stone Edge

Set Analysis

Gyarados imo is a great asset to offensive team, bar the SR weakness he is the perfect member to keep the pressure on when I need to kick ass quickly can is normally taking down at least one Pokemon per game. When in the testing phase of this team Gyarados was one of the original members on this team and was running a slightly bulkier spread with Ice Fang, my decision to go fast was mainly because of of my issues with fast attackers plus I loved the speed he gained after a boost, many people seem to run bulky spreads but my goal is to hist fast and hard. The most favoured member on this team imo, he is a top contender when it comes to omitting fast and strong attacks one right after another. Not much can be said when it comes to Gyarados, he comes in after Mamoswine has had his run to do major damage after SR damage. What I love about this set is Bounce + Leftovers, I found Gyarados dying to quickly with Life Orb and little HP EV investment, with Bounce + Leftovers I am still hitting hard but now I am able to recover off damage caused from a Stealth Rock switch or anything else.

---

Heatran @ Expert Belt***BlastBurn
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpDef)
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Set Analysis

Heatran with Life Orb and Taunt has bar far been the best option I have at beating stall (or weakening it), I had Azelf here for late game clean ups but it lacked the necessary power to do that much at any point in the game. LOTran hits harder and has more bulk to survive hits coming from Jolteon (who can screw this team up). Because of the increase of Choice Scarf being used on Heatran I am able to bluff choice scarf (only once but still worth it) and hit the team harder, The fire immunity is also nice (can at times boost the power of Fire Blast which is ridiculously good here so long I don't miss =/). What makes this set so great is that not a lot cannot set up on me at all, the previous set I was running lacked Taunt meaning anything that resisted Fire+Ground could come in and set up on me (Gyarados for instance) and can also deal with the odd Heatran set that runs sub or any other move not commonly seen on Heatran. I have never gone wrong with this set at dishing out damage and the resistances to common types and great synergy with the dragons makes him a nice addition to the team.

---

Salamence @ Life Orb***joshe was here =O!
EVs: 16 Atk | 240 SpAtk | 252 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Roost

Set Analysis

Another top contender when it comes to raping everything that move after set up, not much can really deal with Salamence after Dragon Dance and the lack of Outrage means not much is setting up on me. Salamence is the type of Pokemon who makes an effective late game or early game Pokemon, he keeps the pressure going, cannot be set up on after a boost and can cripple offensive powerhouses with Intimidate. I have never been too keen on using Salamence on the team because of the Stealth Rock weakness, but him being a semi good wall breaker and having nice offensive stats is what lead me to choose him over the other dragons.

I was using MixMence over this set in the testing phase but I scrapped it for this particular Salamence.The reason for me scrapping MixMence was because of Draco Meteor and outrage being major set up bait for the opposing team, don't get the wrong idea I do love MixMence and love spamming him on my other teams but he doesn't seem to "fit" here, DD Mence has performed a lot better at screwing shit up after DD and Dragon Claw. I normally find Salamence coming in straight after Gyarados has laid waste everything in his wake, with Dragon Claw not much steel types have an easier time setting up on Salamence, Dragon Claw is only more powerful than an un-boosted Outrage so I prefer the power loss if it means I am dealing enough damage for something like Lucario can pick up from where he left off and finish the opposing team. Intimidate is very good on this Pokemon and is great for the team, having two Intimidate users never hurts plus it gives me some more insurance against physical attackers.

---

Gengar @ Life Orb***Sparkle
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Shadow Ball

Set Analysis

Gengar acts as the second partner to accompany Gyarados in taking out the opposing team. I tried out different sets then foud this set to be most effective at taking down the likes of Scizor (CB set will never be able to beat this one unless it has expert belt). The only issue I have with using this set is that it will always lose the speed tie with other Gengars due to the imperfect speed caused by HP Fire. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast allows me to beat Salamence and Lucario (risky cause of the 70% accuracy). Not really much to say about this set other than its fast and does its job at being a great offensive Pokemon.

---

Lucario @ Life Orb***Galactic Crush
Ability: Inner Focus
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Set Analysis

Once Lucario is revealed it is generally means I am either in a shitty spot and need to bring him out early or I have raped enough of the opposing team with Gyarados/Salamence/Latias for Lucario to further fuck up whatever is left. Once Stealth Rock is down then its beginning of the end for A boosted Close Combat + Extremespeed coming from Lucario makes cleaning up the trash all the more easier, because of my Pokemon and their ability to force switches Stealth Rock should have taken its toll on the opposing team. Lucario finds an opportunity to set up easily after Latias has been baited into Pursuit by CB Scizor or when Choice Scarf Flygon has revenge killed Salamence with Stone Edge.

Lucario works well Latias and Salamence. Both can take ground, fighting & fire attacks attacks aimed at Steel Jackal & Lucario can take ice & rock. Latias is generally what takes Fire attacks from because of Salamence's SR weakness plus Latias has great SpDef. PFighting attacks can go to either one but Salamence has Intimidate for soaking up those blows. This this like the perfect team to abuse Lucario, with so many hard hitters Lucario has an easier time setting up or ripping shit up without the need to set up. Scizor in my opinion can work here over Lucario because he can pretty much run the same set at the cost of lower speed and a slightly weaker normal priority move (Quick Attack). Before I was running Bullet Punch as it gave me the option on shitting all over Gengar (who is another potential threat) but after the slight revamp I have found Crunch to fair better against the rotom formes, I still like Bullet Punch and use it occasionally but sadly Crunch/Stone Edge offer more power and Extremespeed does neat damage to everything not steel/ghost.

---

The Conclusion | Final Comments & Credits

I feel this kind of team is a breath of fresh air from all the other teams I have constructed, being an offensive player this team fits my style perfectly, at first I though this team would fail horribly due to my reckless play style but I was surprised when it won against teams that would otherwise beat my other teams without effort, the team like Chrono Berserker (the template for this team) has a have a great run but yeah I have hit a dead end, I am open to suggestions but will probably drop this team in the mere future.​
[/CENTER]

Team Building Process:
-----------------------------
To come to a final draft of the team I first decided to choose a Pokemon and then build my team around it, before I came to this team though I started off with the most obvious team member, Salamence.

At first I wanted to build a team based around Salamence, so I created this move set and then built my team around it, which worked well on its own but failed when supported oddly.

@ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

OK so now I have my central Pokemon that can deal major damage late game, so I need to build a team around, eliminating his weaknesses while supporting him. In terms of support Starmie and Jirachi spring to mind, I used a lead Jirachi with wish support to help Salamence recover some health and then used Rapid Spin Starmie to cover Gyarados and get with of rocks, I then threw random offensive members onto the team. Needless to say my team worked and failed at the same time, I was stuck as I didn't want to mess up the synergy my team had, so I scraped it.

I then took another approach, I decided to build a full on offensive team using powerful set up sweepers and stall breakers.

In this stage I revert to lurking, I go and research on offensive which lead to husk's offensive team in the RMT Archive, I studied various teams that were offensive (Astral Projection was one of the teams I studied) and then went on to building my team.

I type up a list of common leads that can set up rocks.
  • Azelf
  • Aerodactyl
  • Metagross
  • Mamoswine
  • Jirachi
  • Heatran
  • Bronzong
Each Pokemon listed has their strengths and weaknesses but I chose Mamoswine in the end as he is the one that proved to be the most useful of the bunch.

--------------

Ok so I have my lead not I need some offensive Pokemon. When I was researching I found saw that Gyarados was pretty popular, Gyarados helps against Infernape and co and can put major holes in teams, though he is weak to rocks if he can keep the tempo going then he should recover most of his health thanks to Leftovers, Mamo also absorbs electric moves aimed and Gyarados so that is cool I guess.

So what I have now is two members: Gyarados and Mamoswine

@ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
` Ice Shard
` Endeavour
` Stealth Rock
` Earthquake

---

@ Leftovers***Leviathan
EVs: 6 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
` Dragon Dance
` Waterfall
` Stone Edge
` Bounce

----------

So it is time for me to choose my mix attacker, I really hate stall and the likes so I choose MixMence as a team member. MixMence is very powerful with Draco Meteor and Outrage and can take out Zapdos, who does quite a bit of damage to Mamo and Gyara (if something stupid happens, yes it has happened).

Ok so now I have three members who can pretty much force a lot of switches can get 2 - 3 KOs when played correctly, I now need a second stat up user to further mess up my opponent's team.

I have to choose between Scizor and Lucario, they are but steel, Scizor had better attack, more bulk and is not killed by ground, so should I go with Scizor, no.

I prefer Lucario over Scizor, I am sick to death of using Scizor on every team, at first I liked but then I got bored, so yeah.

So my physical offensive core is pretty strong at the moment, now Skarmory though won't live long can be a problem for some of the party members, so I decide to go with Gengar and Azelf, both random yet effective party members.

Gengar is very unpredictable, Azelf is not prepared for nowadays, both carry explosion, both are fast, time to seal the deal.

- - - - -

• Everyone expect Mamoswine are immune to toxic spikes
  • I only have two pokemon weak to rocks.
  • Everyone except Mamo are not weak to spikes, this makes switching easier.
  • The offensive core is very strong when used correctly, it has not failed me yet.
  • Gyarados and Mamoswine combo well together.
  • On paper is looks like Gengar cause me trouble but he doesn't.
  • I don't have any glaring weakness to one type, this is huge imo.
  • This is pretty basic, oh well =/.

After further testing however it seems Azelf as well as various other sets on Pokemon are not really working for me so this is what I did:
  • I changed my set on Salamence so he can better combat stall, my previous set suffered from him dying to quickly, with the addition of roost over Outrage, Brick Break over Earthquake and maxing out special attack, I thus have the ability to beat SkarmBliss while having good recovery.
  • I replaced Azelf with Heatran and gave Heatran Expert Belt over Choice Scarf/Life Orb, with this I can bluff Choice Scarf which is important considering a timely Explosion on the likes of Blissey or Vaporeon means my team has an easier time sweeping with Gyarados or Gengar.
  • Bounce was added on Gyarados. With Gyarados's spread and item I believe that Bounce is superior to Ice Fang.
So now the team looks like this:

- - - - -

Threat List
  • Green means they are not a problem for me.
  • Orange means they can cause a bit of trouble.
  • Red means they are very difficult to take down.
Offensive Threats
Azelf:
I am able to force him out with Mamoswine because of Focus Sash and Ice Shard, if somehow I mispredict and Mamoswine dies then Heatran and Latias can take just about anything but Explosion. Non lead versions are weak also so Lucario can either use Extremespeed on Bullet Punch, any dragon dancer can outspeed and blow him away also.

Breloom:
I don't have anything that can take sleep well so beating him is quite frustrating, Latias is what I use to take sleep and in some cases I stay in and try and break his sub, she can out speed Breloom if I get lucky with sleep. Gyarados and Salamence also have some way of winning but I have to be careful of Stone edge, if Mamoswine is still around and sub is broken Ice Shard does a lot.

Dragonite:
Mix sets are not that threatening as a lot of stuff here can out speed and kill him in one hit, if he is stuck in Outrage Heatran can explode, Lucario can possibly set up on him and Latias can come in after he takes something out and Draco Meteor him to death. DD versions fall to Mamoswine with Ice Shard.

Empoloen:
First priority is to not this set up. Breaking his sub can be hard because of Agility but Latias is my best chance with her bulk and Thunderbolt. Once the sub is broken Lucario/Mamoswine can pick him off easily with Ice Shard/Bullet Punch/Extremespeed.

Flygon:
The first thing I do is bait him into using Outrage, as the most common version is Flygon uses choice scarf Lucario can come in after Outrage and set up on him, then KO with Extremespeed. When I want to be on the safe side Mamoswine if he is still alive can force him out or Ice Shard on Outrage.

Gengar:
Gengar is another Pokemon that is kinda hard to beat, because he is frail Mamoswie and Lucario after a boost beat or weaken with their priority moves, Latias can take something from the scarf set except Shadow Ball, if he lacks Focus Blast (which has terrible recovery) the Heatran can come on just about anything but Thunderbolt.

Gyarados:
Another semi threatening Pokemon that is beaten by some good prediction, My own Gyarados can out speed and kill him with Stone Edge, Latias can take probably one hit from an un boosted version and hit back with Thunderbolt. He cannot set up on Heatran.

Heatran:
Latias is my best counter as it resists Fire Blast and Earth Power and hits with Surf, Gyarados also resists both moves but has to watch out for HP Electric or Taunt. A boosted Salamence out speeds him and KOs with Earthquake.

Infernape:
Gyarados fears Stone Edge and Thunderpunch while Salamence fears Stone Edge and HP Ice, other than that they can beat anything else he has while Gengar resists Close Combat.Latias beats everything lacking U-Turn and Swords Dance (not as risky).

Jirachi:
Mamoswine doesn't mind obtaining scarf if they mispredict a switch. Salamence does a number on him while Heatran can stop him from setting up on a switch or kill with Fore Blast.

Jolteon:
Mamoswine resists his main moves and can take him down with Ice Shard, Heatran's bulkiness helps in taking Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and stuff while Latias can do something to specs variants. Gyarados and Salamence after a Dragon dance both out speed and beat the common charge beam sets.

Kingdra:
Not a lot of things on my team can take this guy (especially with substitute and lum berry), what I do is alternate between Intimidates with Gyarados & Salamence (I sometimes lose one of them) to soften the blows from Outrage & Watefall, the reason I try and set up with Salamence and Gyarados as soon as possible is because they can both take him one-on-one (Salamence more than Kingdra because of Dragon Claw).

Latias:
Latias though hell for this team has problems coming in, if they are lacking T-Bolt Gyarados can do something to him and non scarfed versions are hit hard by Salamence.Lucario after a boost does a bit to her after Stealth Rock, a major threat.

Lucario:
Salamence's Intimidate softens the damage he inflicts on my team, if he lacks Stone Edge then Gyarados can accomplish the same thing and possibly attempt to beat him with Waterfall.

Machamp:
Machamp has poor speed, strong special attacks coming from Latias normally takes him out (Draco Meteor), Heatran can explode on him.

Magnezone:
Mamoswine can beat scarf versions if they use Thunderbolt (happens 80% of the time), Because I lack Outrage Salamence can stay in in most cases and defeat him with Earthquake. Latias resists Thunderbolt and hurts him with surf.

Mamoswine:
A Bullet Punch from Lucario should be enough after Swords Dance if scarfed, Heatran can out speed him and win with Fire Blast, banded versions with adamant nature fall to Gyarados.

Metagross:
Every kind of Metagross gives my problems, I need to watch out for Agility sets or it can spell doom for me, everything else should be handled by Azelf and Salamence
Rhyperior:
Never let it set up also. A boosted Close Combat from Lucario or Bullet Punch should dent him enough, Salamence should be able to handle ones not under sub and Gyarados can do quite a bit.

Salamence:
Nothing on my team really counters the DD Set. I rely on revenge killing and stuff like that to take him down. MixMence, the more common set for Salamence falls if I win the tie with my own MixMence and Lucario and Mamo should be able to pick off a weakened mence.

Scizor:
Salamence, Azelf and Gyarados all deal with him in some way.

Starmie:
I alos need to rely on Priority to deal with Starmie, if I can score a lucky Stone Edge with Gyarados well....cool.

Togekiss:
Mamoswine can come in on T0Wave and combat with Ice Shard, anything not hit by T-Wave should be dealing a lot of damage to Kiss.

Tyranitar:
Lucario should be able to beat un boosted versions (banded versions).
Defensive Threat List:

Blissey :
The physcial threats of the team really ruin here if they are not paralyized.
---
Bronzong :
Salamence and Azelf burn him with fire attacks.
---
Celebi :
Again, Salamence and Azelf should be able to do something to him, weakened versions fall to Gyarados.
---
Cresselia :
She is very annoying so I have to rely on hard hitting moves to take her out.
---
Donphan :
Ice Shard doesn’t kill Salamence with Intimidate and I can kill with Draco Meteor.
---
Forretress :
Salamence with Flamethrower deals a lot to himas does Azelf.
---
Gliscor :
Salamence with Draco Meteor deals quite a bit to him, if it lacks Stone Edge I waterfall with Gyara on a predicted Taunt.
---
Hippowdon :
He is slow so Salamence with Draco and any other special attacker should be able to handle him.
---
Skarmory :
Salamence kills him with Flamethrower andAzelf and Gengar kill with T-Bolt and Flamethrower.
---
Snorlax :
Salamence, Lucario, Gyarados and random explosions are enough to take this thing down, it normally boils down to Lucario though.
---
Suicune
:
Very annoyingto take down, Salamence can score some hits but if it rests then I am in trouble, so random explosions are used.
---
Swampert :
Usually comes in on Salamence. Draco Meteor should take it out.
---
Tentacruel :
Semi problem as I lack ground physical moves, I guess an Outrage from Salamence can do somethingas well as Earthquake.
---
Vaporeon :
If it has HP Electric, Salamence beats it but is wary of the odd Ice Beam.
---
Zapdos :
Salamence KOs with Draco Meteor after SR, an Ice Shard from Mamoswine does a bit but has to watch out for Heat Wave.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Very solid team. I'm curious as to why you aren't choosing to run Life Orb on lead Mamo though. It allows Mamo to be much more effective late game and just generally packs a lot more power. I understand why it helps against Scizor, but can't Gyara easily switch in on the Bullet Punch and make use of the free turn? Also, I like this team a lot, it reminds me of Astral Projection in a way.

My first suggestion is run Jolly on Gyarados. It's going to stop Life Orb Charge Beam Jolteon from running through your team as easily (as soon as Mamo is dead as of right now, your pretty much done) since when Jolteon switches in it'll be toast. Max speed Jolly Gyara also outspeeds non max Scarf Rotom A and OHKOs with Waterfall with Stealth Rock down, so it can prove very useful against teams who also rely on Scarf Rotom A to check Lucario.

If Salamence is your main way of beating stall, old Mixmence does a signifigantly better job. If you don't want to lose the speed you can still run Fire Blast / Brick Break / Draco Meteor / Roost with the same EVs. Taking up to 16% a turn in sandstorm from every attack and 25% every time you switch in isn't exactly destroying stall (considering it can switch around to rack up damage). Roost + Brick Break also beats Skarm Bliss a lot easier without having to rely totally on predicting as Skarm can't just come in on Outrage and set up Spikes.

Mad props on using Bullet Punch Lucario, its a great sweeper if you can effectively remove Rotom. I'm not exactly keen on Azelf. I feel Life Orb Heatran can be much more effective in that slot if used correctly. It also beats stall if played correctly, and provides you with a fire immunity (which is nice because ScarfTran can run rampant through you late game if mence/gyara are weakened). You can also bluff Scarf and run something like Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Hidden Power [Grass] / Earth Power to take out the max number of Heatran checks. Regardless, Life Orb Heatran packs much more firepower than Azelf at the price of speed. Heatran also has 106 base defenses, and can easily come in on Scizors Bullet Punchs, Metagross' Meteor Mashs and Scarf Jirachis Iron Heads with little trouble at all. Mixape could also work similarly in this spot but the frailness is a drawback.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 Atk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earth Power

Some calcs against common stall mons-
Fire Blast against 252/88 Hippo: 70.48% - 83.10%
Fire Blast against 252/0 Zapdos: 72.14% - 85.16% (OHKOs 74% of time with SR)
Fire Blast against 252/120 Rotom A: 70.72% - 83.22%
Fire Blast against 252/0 Gyara: 32.23% - 38.07% (Fire Blast + Explosion KOs to open up Luke sweep
Fire Blast against 252/252 Spiritomb: 57.24% - 67.43%
Earth Power against 252/252 Tentacruel: 44.35% - 52.42% (2HKOs with SR)
Explosion OHKOs Bliss, HP Grass OHKOs Pert, Fire Blast OHKOs Skarm/Forry/Celebi

Very solid team. I'm curious as to why you aren't choosing to run Life Orb on lead Mamo though. It allows Mamo to be much more effective late game and just generally packs a lot more power. I understand why it helps against Scizor, but can't Gyara easily switch in on the Bullet Punch and make use of the free turn?
I have never really liked Life Orb on leads, its a preference thing, I have considered it, but Focus Sash was better imo, maybe when I progress down the ladder I might change it for extra power.
Mad props on using Bullet Punch Lucario, its a great sweeper if you can effectively remove Rotom. I'm not exactly keen on Azelf. I feel Life Orb Heatran can be much more effective in that slot if used correctly. It also beats stall if played correctly, and provides you with a fire immunity (which is nice because ScarfTran can run rampant through you late game if mence/gyara are weakened). You can also bluff Scarf and run something like Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Hidden Power [Grass] / Earth Power to take out the max number of Heatran checks. Regardless, Life Orb Heatran packs much more firepower than Azelf at the price of speed. Heatran also has 106 base defenses, and can easily come in on Scizors Bullet Punchs, Metagross' Meteor Mashs and Scarf Jirachis Iron Heads with little trouble at all. Mixape could also work similarly in this spot but the frailness is a drawback.
Well Azelf is there so I don't have a triple ground weak team, plus I felt adding another special attack would make it some I am not totally walled by physical walls, when testing that wasn't the case but by then I grew attached to the elf so I kinda just stuck with him/her.

And yeah after looking at Astral Projection it does resemble it in some way, strange.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I have never really had a problem running teams with 3 weakness' as long as the other 3 mons can deal with the weakness effectively, which in this case it can. Also, even with Tran you only have 2 ground weaks. Oh well I guess, if you feel Azelf is more effective than by all means continue using it, I just find Azelf to be general deadweight against well played stall.

Also, Focus Sash or Life Orb is mainly preference, I just use Life Orb on LeadSwine to OHKO Metagross 46% of the time. A risky percentage that can be compared to a coin flip, but the benefits outweigh the risks in my experience. Even if they KO you, they aren't getting up SR anytime soon any longer, which means Gyara and Mence will have an easier time switching in.

Kind of a poor rate ,but im not a team rater.
Basically once your opponent has rocks down SpecsJolt outspeeds and OHKO's every member of your team so that's another reason to use Heatran because of his bulk and able to annihilate Jolt with Fireblast.

P.S. I run the same team with Kingdra over Gyarados and Heatran over Azelf and a couple of changed movesets. :D

Good luck with the team.

Well I tested the changes and yeah, Life Orb Heatran has been working better than expected, I am tempted to add scarf to it but I will see how it goes.

I will make the changes soon.

SpecsJolt as stated fares extremely well against this team.

Also any DDgyarados after +1 is a huge threat with Stone Edge + Waterfall. Especially if it is more offensively oriented After a +1 it outspeeds everything in your team, and can OHKO everything, and the only thing you can do in return is extremespeed from luke.

Also this was a great RMT, very well presented and a strong team. Where did you get the sprites from?

Hmm you are right, Gyarados is a major threat to this team when I don't play properly, my plan is really to pressure him enough so that he does not set up, if he does I play around with Intimidate to weaken him. If things get to crazy I might just stick Scarf on Heatran.

And Jolteon is not really that bad once I play around him/her, yeah thunderbolt can be a pain but Jolteon has not caused me as much trouble as people seem to believe.

The images were obtained from Blue Ace on serebii, I can send you a link if you want but he hasn't done alot.

@vGX: In case you didn't know, you can right-click a sprite image, click Properties, it'll show you where the image is linked from. In this case though, they're uploaded to ImageShack, and I would also like to know because they're cool.

OK. First problem with your team is that Galactic has two C's in it.

Life Orb Jolteon crushes your team. Timid Life Orb Jolteon with Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, and HP Ice can easily sweep your whole team. However, most people run Specs. You can counter it fine if your Mamoswine is still around, but I wouldn't count on it as a counter.

Your Azelf has the Attack EV listed twice, you should probably fix that up. I would suggest running Nasty Plot, because after a boost Azelf hits really damn hard. I can't see him getting many kills otherwise.

I would suggest giving Gyarados Roar. Without it, the only defense you have against Baton Pass teams is ExtremeSpeed on Lucario, which does help against Baton Pass, but it's not a reliable counter.

I know your feelings on Bullet Punch Lucario, but Crunch is just infinitely times better. At least give it a try.

Main advice I can give you is to have a pseudo-hazer.

Very well written RMT, I hope I've helped in some way.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=293849

^ Here

There is not much I can do about Jolteon without changing a lot of my team, like I said before, Jolteon has not really been much of an issue as Mamoswine is normally still around and priority is enough for me to weaken it, I might add Life Orb on Mamo though to further help against it but right now he is not causing that much trouble (and I haven't encountered much on the ladder).

I am currently editing the team now.

Edit - can a mod change the title for me, thanks. >.<

307 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (75 Base Power): 330 - 390 (46.22% - 54.62%)

That is a 4 Attack EV Neutral Nature Salamence Brick Break versus Max HP Max Defense Blissey. That has a 53.98% chance of 2HKOing Blissey without SR. With SR becomes 100%.

310 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (75 Base Power): 334 - 394 (46.78% - 55.18%)

That is a 16 Attack EV Neutral Nature Salamence Brick Break versus Max HP Max Defense Blissey. That has a 65.55% chance of 2HKOing Blissey without SR. With SR becomes 100%.

What does this mean? Put the EVs in Sp. Attack, which will get you slightly more bang. Not a lot, mind you, but it gets a lot farther along than putting it in attack.

Don't put Gyarados' extra 4 EVs in HP, as it causes it to immediantly die after 4 switches into SR.

One thing that gets me about this team is the inability to take status in general. I know that can't really change without a huge revamp, but maybe something like Refresh Latias > Gengar may work for you. It warrants testing at least.

Anyway good team, good luck, and great format.

Edit: 306 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (75 Base Power): 330 - 390 (46.22% - 54.62%)

apparently you get the same damage using BB versus Blissey whether or not you even put that EV in Attack or not. I'm not sure if this is the case for everything, but if it is it would def be better in defense.

Edit again: apparently it is, just put the extra 4 EVs in defense.

Final Edit: 525 Atk vs 196 Def & 331 HP (80 Base Power): 200 - 236 (60.42% - 71.30%)

1 SD Lucario against 0 Defense EV mence.

525 Atk vs 197 Def & 331 HP (80 Base Power): 199 - 235 (60.12% - 71.00%)

1 SD Lucario against 4 Defense EV Mence.

so in short go 4 Defense/ 252 Speed/ 252 Sp. Attack Mence with Naive

Ok just an update on how the team is doing.

Jolteon is still not causing me much grief, I think Life Orb on Mamoswine has had something to do with it but I sill think Focus Sash is more useful as it has stopped faster Pokemon from KOing me before I can set up rocks hich is important.

Gengar imo is great o this team due to his speed and specil attack, I will test Latias later but it is unlikely I will change Gengar.

Please continue to PM me when you construct an RMT Unholy Calamity. They are always a treat to look at and make me want to rate them. You even improved your template by adding your thoughts behind the team's construction. 5 stars.

Now, the team. I like the Astral Projection feel that august indicated. The team is solid, but there are a few tweaks that I think will help you in the long run. First off, I would keep the Focus Sash on Mamoswine. While the power of Life Orb is tempting, you definitely want to have to insurance to guarantee that he survives the first few rounds of battle in order to revenge kill major threats like Latias and DDmence via Ice Shard. It comes down to personal preference though, and I am a bit more conservative.

Along the same vein, I would replace Life Orb on Heatran with an Expert Belt. Bluffing the scarf is a fantastic strategy, and helps you more than life orb in taking out pokes like Vaporeon and Blissey. If I see a Heatran with a Life Orb, I automatically assume it is packing explosion. Thus, I would be more cautious with my Vappy/Blissey. This is something your team cannot afford. If you are able to take out either of those with a surprise explosion, you have opened up a sweep for Gyarados or Gengar, respectively. Any offensive team can pack together powerful sweepers with Life Orbs and Choice items. Smart offensive teams utilize cunning to gain the upper hand. Overall I think it is too good of a strategy to ignore for this team.

I don't see too huge of a weakness against LO Jolteon. You can play around it via prediction until it is within KO range of Ice Shard and Extremespeed, and SpecsJolt is simply free set-up depending on what move it uses. The only thing I can suggest to remedy this, as well as cover many of your threats (like Suicune), is to replace Gengar with a Scarved Rotom form with Trick. However, I feel like this team should try and function more with brute force and clever prediction to prevent the opponent from setting up. Its worth testing at least.

Lucario is very interesting as well. I would normally suggest Stone Edge over one of your priority moves to prevent Gyarados from setting up (causing your team to be swept outside of dual intimidate via Gyara and Salamence), but in this case I'm not sure which priority move to remove. Without Bullet Punch you are hopelessly swept by opposing Gengar, and without the power of ExtremeSpeed you might be unable to revenge kill certain threats. If dual priority has been working for you, the I would continue to use it. At least you can somewhat deal with Gyarados, whereas you can't really combat Gengar.

Besides these few things, there really isn't too much to change. At first glance it seems that you are unable to deal with certain set-up sweepers like DDtar, but the fact is that your team never allows them to set-up at all. I hope you have a lot of success with this team, and great job!

Thanks for the detailed rate.

In a way Astral Projection is my inspiration, seeing as it was the first offensive team I saw on this site, I decided to use it as a base, studying it while trying to incorporate some of my ideas, it worked.

I will defiantly try Expert Belt on Heatran after your post, I always felt Expert Belt was better but I never tried it because I felt the extra power was needed.

I made changes adding Bounce to Gyara and sorting out my Salamence spread, I will probably work on my team building process section today.

Decent team but I can spot a few type weaknesses.

First of all LO Starmie is basically going to rip your entire team apart. It outspeeds EVERYTHING and KOs. To fix this I would replace Lucario with Scizor. I know you like Lucario and all but LO Gengar is also a major threat to this team. Wheras Scizor counters both. Dragon dance Tyranitar also rips you apart. They have a hard time getting in though so you should be fine. Unless something else is setting up such as Lucario. The standard ubers trapper Scizor should do you some good as it also lures in fire attacks for Heatran and can revenge DDMence locked on Outrage as well as killing off the troublesome Latias that hurt your team.

Hope that helps! GL =D

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
A couple of quick suggestions:

1. shucca berry on heatran. you can still bluff the scarf, and scarftrans tend to really hurt offensive teams, luckily you can take it out now. it also helps against a bunch of other stuff, allowing you to 2hko hippo, ohko agiligross and pick off weakened pert if need be.

2. this is like the perfect team for protect/hp fire/shadow ball/focus blast gengar. eliminates all prediction with scizor, you already have enough threats for blissey. the only thing that hurts is now you can't really just stay in against gengars and latias.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)