Gastrodon: not just a poor man's Swampert! *Warstory*

Hello. I'm about to bring you a warstory from Shoddy. Is this my archnemisis from Netbattle, or something similarly dramatic? Nope, it's a ladder match against user Regirock, who is most likely just a random (as am I). I thought it was a pretty decent battle, though, so I saved the log, and when I was bored I decided to warstory it.

Also, I changed the formatting a lot because I hate the log that Shoddy spits out at you.

Here are the teams.

pigskin (Blissey_ODonnell)

Regirock

pigskin sent out Metagross.
Regirock sent out Tyranitar.

The start of the game leaves me advantageous. However, lacking Meteor Mash (the moveset is Pursuit/Bullet Punch/Explosion/Earthquake) I have to use Earthquake, which is bad if he has a Gyarados or a...

Regirock switched in Gliscor.
Metagross used Earthquake.
It doesn't effect Gliscor...
The sandstorm rages.

I didn't have Meteor Mash, so I went with Earthquake, but in comes Gliscor, which means he gets a free Stealth Rock while I switch to Gastrodon. Gastrodon is basically Swampert with Recover and a lot less Defense, which means I get Ice Beam. I Ice Beam the Starmie switch-in for pitiful damage, while Starmie, in turn, Ice Beams me for pitiful damage while I Toxic, which of course misses. He then sends in Magnezone on the obvious second Toxic. I predict Magnet Rise, and send in my star player.

pigskin switched in Lucario.
Pointed stones dug into Lucario. (3% Damage)
Magnezone used Magnet Rise.
The sandstorm rages.

Unless most Luke I've seen on Shoddy, this isn't Swords Dancing. No sir, this is your genuine SpecsLuke, with a Life Orb for more freedom. I expect Gliscor to switch in, so I use HP Ice, but no, none other than Blissey switches in. That was the weirdest move ever, which only could have worked out in a situation like this. It seems too early to sacrifice Blissey, so either he just played weird, or expected me to make a move like that. Nonetheless, fearing Thunder Wave, I go to my trusty Gastrodon.

pigskin switched in Gastrodon.
Pointed stones dug into Gastrodon. (6% Damage)
Blissey used Calm Mind.
Blissey's SpA and SpD rose.

Great, now I know that I don't have to worry about Thunder Wave if she switches in on Luke. Great, now I know that I have to worry about Calm Mind. With a Life Orb over Choice Specs, Lucario gains more freedom and late-game cleaning potential, but loses the key ability to 2HKO Blissey. Now I have to resort to the predictable Toxic to force Blissey out. Instead, though, Magnezone comes in with its immunity. I predict Substitute, predicting he'd predict another Luke switch-in, so I Earthquake, which breaks the Sub he throws up. I predict Magnet Rise at this point, so I switch in Lucario and my prediction is proven correct.

Lucario used Aura Sphere. (100% Damage)
It's super effective!
Regirock's Magnezone fainted.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

6-5 pigskin

Aura Sphere was the best choice, as it would OHKO Magnezone/Tyranitar and beat Blissey one-on-one if she switched in again. If Gliscor switched in, I would simply kill it with HP Ice.

Regirock switched in Garchomp.

Ah, Garchomp. I could predict Earthquake and switch in Togekiss, but if this is a Swords Dancer he'll surely predict the switch and use Swords Dance. I decide to play it safe and bring in my Garchomp "counter". (You'll find out why counter is in quotations below)

pigskin switched in Slowbro.
Pointed stones dug into Slowbro. (12% Damage)
Garchomp used Earthquake. (53% Damage)
The sandstorm rages.

For me, Choice Band Garchomp is definitely the scariest. It's the hardest to completely counter, and most important to predict against. I decide to sacrifice Slowbro and bring in Togekiss to revenge-kill, because eliminating Slowbro could put him in a false sense of security.

Garchomp used Earthquake. (49% Damage)
pigskin's Slowbro fainted.
The sandstorm rages.

5-5

pigskin switched in Togekiss.

I decide to Thunder Wave on the obvious switch. The moveset is Air Slash/Thunder Wave/Aura Sphere/Roost, so I don't particularly threaten Blissey. In fact, it's pretty much dead weight because Blissey walls it and Garchomp gets free switch-ins. However, it will serve a purpose later.

Anyways, he switches in Togekiss while I Thunder Wave. This is worthless thanks to Natural Cure. I Air Slash while he switches in Blissey, and then send in Metagross while he Calm Minds. I Pursuit him for 40% damage while he sends in Gliscor, and I send in Gastrodon while he uses Knock Off, which is nullified by Sticky Hold. I Toxic while he sends in Blissey. I Earthquake him a few times while she uses Softboiled. The poison is really starting to wear her down, so I decide to send in Lucario for a finishing Aura Sphere. He must have predicted that, because he sent in Garchomp.

Remember that reason I sacrificed Slowbro, why I kept Togekiss alive? Here it is. Right now, he could easily pick me off with an Earthquake, but I could send in Togekiss, who is immune to the move. Right now, I'm feeling particularly risky, so I HP Ice, predicting a Stone Edge. If he Dragon Claws, I might survive since I'm at 50%, but if he Outrages I'm dead...

Garchomp used Stone Edge. (23% Damage)
It's not very effective...
Lucario used Hidden Power. (100% Damage)
It's super effective!
Regirock's Garchomp fainted.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

5-4 pigskin

Yes! My prediction worked perfectly. Now that the biggest threat to my team is gone, I'm feeling very confident. He sends out Starmie for the revenge-kill. I send in Metagross, because I'm fairly sure he doesn't have Surf, and Thunderbolt won't damage 'Gross a whole lot.

My thinking is correct, as I take a soft Thunderbolt for 25%. My Metagross moveset is Pursuit/Bullet Punch/Earthquake/Explosion, so the best move now is Pursuit. He'll probably predict that and Thunderbolt again, but Earthquake only does slightly more damage, and then he can switch out for free. With Pursuit, he is basically guaranteed to die, because Thunderbolt is a 4HKO and Pursuit is a 2HKO, OHKO on the switch.

I take another Thunderbolt while I Pursuit him for 60% damage. Right now, I have a little under 50% of my health, so I should be able take another Thunderbolt and kill it with Pursuit. I should...

Starmie used Thunderbolt. (48% Damage!)
A critical hit!
pigskin's Metagross fainted.
The sandstorm rages.

4-4

Ouch. Starmie is the biggest threat to my team; the rest of the Pokemon are slower than Lucario and OHKOed or 2HKOed, so that really hurt.

I send in Gastrodon to revenge-wall. Starmie Recovered most of the damage dealt while I Earthquake for 37%. Realizing that that strategy wasn't going anywhere, I use Toxic, which misses, while he recovers with Recover (pun intended). He sends in Blissey while I Toxic again, which of course misses. 85% hit rate my ass. She uses Softboiled while I hit her with a weak Earthquake. I decide to send in Lucario while she uses Softboileds again. I Aura Sphere her for 50%, and she Calm Minds. I Aura Sphere again, but she recovers most of her health with Softboiled, leaving her with 70%. I realize that Blissey can easily outstall me, I go back to Gastrodon. I Toxic while she hits me with a weak Ice Beam. I Recover most of my health while he switches in Tyranitar.

Without knowing what kind of Tyranitar this is, I know I have two options. One, I could Earthquake Tyranitar, or two, I could send in Lucario. If this is a Choice Bander, I could send in Luke on the Crunch or Earthquake while he Pursuits. If this is Boah, Earthquake is the best shot, because Gastrodon can only really be hurt by Focus Punch. If this is Dragon Dancer, Earthquake would be the best option, if it Taunts or Dragon Dances. This is risking one of my more valuable Pokemon, but I decide to...

Tyranitar used Taunt.
Gastrodon fell for the taunt!
Gastrodon used Earthquake. (47% Damage)
The sandstorm rages.

That worked great, except for one thing; I have to switch or waste Taunt turns, because I can't Recover/Toxic any more. Blissey could easily set up on me and get six Calm Minds, because the only thing on my team is doesn't really wall is Azumarill, and that has no CB so it doesn't OHKO Blissey and gets hit very hard by Thunderbolt.

Regirock switched in Starmie.
Gastrodon used Earthquake. (35% Damage)
The sandstorm rages.

I really have no idea why he sent in Starmie when he could be setting up CM Blissey, but you don't hear me complaining. I guess he just wants to wear me down before Taunt wears off. Gastrodon takes another Ice Beam while hitting Starmie with two Earthquakes, which are Recovered away. I decide to change strategies and send in Togekiss.

pigskin switched in Togekiss.
Pointed stones dug into Togekiss. (25% Damage)
Starmie used Recover.
Starmie restored 50% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

I came in on a Recover, but I didn't need to; my Togekiss can take 2 Life Orb Gengar Thunderbolts, Thunder Wave, and Roost.

The next two turns, Starmie Ice Beams twice while I Thunder Wave and Roost. I Air Slash while Blissey comes in, and I switch to Gastrodon while he Calm Minds. She's no longer playing conservatively; I Toxic her while she gets in 3 Calm Minds. From there, I start Recover stalling, with her Ice Beams hitting for around 45% damage. Eventually, she succumbs, and out comes Tyranitar for revenge. 4-3 pigskin

I'm fairly certain this is a Dragon Dancer, so I'm not too concerned. He Earthquakes me for about 25% damage while I Earthquake him for about 50%. I then send in Togekiss, predicting Starmie to come in, but I am KOed by a Stone Edge. (3-3) I send in Azumarill, but instead of trying to predict the switch and use Substitute, I simply Aqua Jet, which does jack damage to the incoming Starmie. I predict Ice Beam (if he were to predict Gastrodon) and use Return; however, I am frozen solid. I sacrifice Lucario, and send in Gastrodon. (2-3 Regirock) I Recover while he switches to Tyranitar, who Dragon Dances while I Earthquake for the kill. (2-2)

At this point, it's over. Gastrodon easily Ice Beams Gliscor and outstalls Starmie. GG Regirock, despite the fact that you left before we finished.

pigskin wins!

We both made some mistakes, but overall, this was a decent battle I thought. If I were to list Props, I would probably include how Gastrodon did well, how it proved that Recover and superior HP/SpD may just give it an edge over Swampert. Under Slops I would probably include how Starmie critted Metagross and froze Azumarill.

I hope you enjoyed reading, and I hope I wasn't too wordy.

The battle was very exciting, the formatting was nice to read, but the commentary was somewhat boring. Don't get me wrong, though, this is a very good warstory, but you should have made more jokes or shown more emotion about the crit and the freeze. On a side note, "Gastrodon FTW" wasn't emphasized enough =p. *thumbs up*

Loved the battle, the prediction was very good on both sides, and I loved how you didn't just list a log with a short comment. Great Warstory.

Ah, this was a great read. You elaborated more than the average Joe Shmoe on your thought process and it was very streamlined and easy to read.

Kudos.

ack....no offense, but the format (mainly switching back and forth between using log and sentences to describe turns) gets somewhat confusing. Not a bad warstory, though.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Arzamo said:
On a side note, "Gastrodon FTW" wasn't emphasized enough =p.
I think he avoided saying that, and for good reason. =\

Anyways:

A lot of your comments seem out of place, which you seem to have thrown in to make it look longer. Comments such as:
"People need to realize that Gliscor is the best physical wall in DP, the safest counter to Metagross, Heracross, SDLuke, and CBTar."
and:
Gastrodon is basically Swampert with Recover and a lot less Defense, which means I get Ice Beam.
and even:
For me, Choice Band Garchomp is definitely the scariest. It's the hardest to completely counter, and most important to predict against.
are all examples of what you should avoid when writing a warstory, because they are annoying and get in the way of the readers who are trying to enjoy a good read.

While I do support this sort of format for warstories in which it is more story than log and comments, you can only wield this format successfully if put emotion into it.

Good job, anyways.

@ Karrot

All of those comments were relevant to what was happening at the moment.

ack....no offense, but the format (mainly switching back and forth between using log and sentences to describe turns) gets somewhat confusing. Not a bad warstory, though.
I tried to make it like some ADV and GSC warstories, with log at key points in the battle but mostly just typed story.

The battle was very exciting, the formatting was nice to read, but the commentary was somewhat boring. Don't get me wrong, though, this is a very good warstory, but you should have made more jokes or shown more emotion about the crit and the freeze. On a side note, "Gastrodon FTW" wasn't emphasized enough =p. *thumbs up*
Yeah, I am typically pretty boring writer. I tried to emphasize Gastrodon's importance in the battle without going overboard.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

wow. its weird readinga warstory as a paragraph, but it was refreshing. i like the battle too, and nice use of gastrodon.

Great read, but more importantly, great battle. I'm amazed at some of the predictions you made throughout.

And here I was thinking I was the only one using Gastrodon. It really is better than Swampert IMO, Recover is a huge boost.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Great warstory. The format got a tad confusing at times, but the prediction by both players was first rate, and we got a great insight into what you were thinking. Nicely done.

Wow! The positive feedback is great, and it's cool that my first warstory is moved into the archive. I've also made a couple of changes, mainly Karrot's suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
This was a great warstory, I'll throw it in the archive in a day or so!
Surgo, I think it's time to throw this in the archive now if you were planning to, heh it's been a month. :P

The only thing I didn't really like about this warstory was that Azumarill didn't get much use, but the commentary was great, so it's all good.

lol at Blissey switching in on your Lucario without knowing it's moveset. That guy is either stupid or psychic. Or maybe he know your MS already? 0.o

Awsometude. I liked the whole defensive battle thing you folks got on, but it was bad on your enemy's side not to include a grass knotter. Still, he coul'de won if Starmie bombarded Gastrodon with hydro pump

I'm really impressed with Gastrodon's performance... it really does not seem worse than Swampert here at all. This was a really well-written war story IMO & I hope it gets archived :)

To poster above: Grass Knot has only 60 power on Gastrodon, as opposed to 80 on Swampert. Multipled by a 4x weakness, GK has 80 more base power on Swampert, which is pretty cool IMO if you mispredict (and Gastro might have the chance to Recover it off later, if you can somehow force a switch).

I found this by typing "warstory" in the search, and I noticed that it's been two months since it was going to be thrown in the archive. I guess I'll bump this as a reminder, because it was probably forgotten about.

It is a great warstory, but does it deserve to be archived?

I think so. Good Job on it and I hope to see it in the Archive soon as it is one of the better stories which focused more on the story then the log (which is cool because it was a like bologos story =D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)