Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source on that? I'm fairly certain it was the other way around: Certain Pokémon, when transferred from Gen I to Gen II, had a chance of holding an item upon transfer. There was no mechanic to hold items in Gen I, so if you've read that somewhere, the source is either wrong or you have misunderstood.
It said if a gen 2 item was holding an item and was transfered to gen 1, then the item would not be lost

It said if a gen 2 item was holding an item and was transfered to gen 1, then the item would not be lost
Well, that's true but the story behind it is weird. The memory space where the item was in Gen 2 was used to store catch rate in Gen 1. The catch rate, after a Pokemon was captured, was useless in Gen 1 so they decided to just override that in Gen 2 and store catch rates in a standard lookup table.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If so, it wouldn't quite be held either, at least not while in the Gen I games. If you gave an Oddish a Potion to hold in, say, Silver, then transferred it to Blue, there would be no way to access this Potion in Blue. If what Darth Manaphy said is correct, I guess that specific Oddish would have its catch rate changed to reflect the data ID of the Potion. But since the Pokémon is already caught, that number could not be accessed either, and would not impact gameplay in any way, barring exploitation of some obscure bugs. Once transferred back to Silver, it would retain the Potion you gave it.

If so, it wouldn't quite be held either, at least not while in the Gen I games. If you gave an Oddish a Potion to hold in, say, Silver, then transferred it to Blue, there would be no way to access this Potion in Blue. If what Darth Manaphy said is correct, I guess that specific Oddish would have its catch rate changed to reflect the data ID of the Potion. But since the Pokémon is already caught, that number could not be accessed either, and would not impact gameplay in any way, barring exploitation of some obscure bugs. Once transferred back to Silver, it would retain the Potion you gave it.
To expand on what I say, here's some evidence to back it up: http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pokémon_Red/Blue:RAM_map#Player Look down at like RAM location D172 under Pokemon 1.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1. What is Master Class.

2. But Bellossom can know them too.
1. We'll find out.

2. No, look again. Oddish and Gloom learn it. "What's the difference"? The difference is that since Bellossom is connected to the sun in someway it can possibly be included in Sun version someway that isn't in Moon version. Like maybe we can find wild Bellossom or a notable trainer will have Bellossom on their team but only in Su version. This could also mean that the Oddish family will be found in both versions as, since Oddish and Gloom only have a connection to the moon, might have become a Moon version exclusive if it wasn't for Bellossom. Finally if they ever do version exclusive Mega Stones again then Bellossom might get one for Sun version.

Something New: I got a new idea, how about no new mechanics and instead we focus on expanding and improving the old mechanics which have so much potential but since they're always adding something new they can't really put much attention on it. I don't want them to include something new just so there's something new. Now if they honestly have a new idea, fine, great, implement it by all means. However if they add in something new because they feel like they need to they'd need to put their all into it otherwise it might come out feeling like a gimmick and/or shallow.

Also let's not forget battling styles. Gen III introduced Double Battles which changed the entire metagame (at least in most official formats) and Gen VI introduced Inverse Battles which is a fan-loved idea which sadly GF don't look to have any interest in. Huh, what that? I forgot Gen V's Triple & Rotational Battles and Gen VI's Sky Battles? Well there's good reason for that, GF too forgot. Just chalk them up for another thing that could use expansion/improvement upon (along with making Inverse Battle more prominent, at least giving it to us as a Wifi battle option).

Speaking of battling, if we're talking about battle mechancis we can't forget about the post game stuff, specifically Gen III's and IV's Battle Frontier. That would be fun to have back, maybe even let us Wifi battle using the facilities rules (infact I think just in general player vs. player could use a major update to give the player more freedom in how they want their battles to be).

And yes the Physical/Split counts, it's a HUGE mechanic change even if its not new. It changed how some Pokemon played entirely, GF needed to add in a good amount of new moves to compensate Pokemon who may have lost powerful STAB moves or for Pokemon who can now take advantage of their type's STAB when they couldn't before as their stat mismatched them.

Six 100 Pixie: I'm kind of glad they've gotten away from the pixie with 100 in each stat. Though 100 in each stat is very good, I feel a Pokemon is more interesting is when they specialize in something. Now Mew, Mew makes sense to be 100 across the board due to its lore and it was Gen I. However Celebi feels like it wants to be a Special/Support Pokemon (high Special stats), Jirachi a wall (high defensive stats), Manaphy a Special Attacker/Stat manipulator (high Special stat and Speed), Shaymin Land Forme a medic (high defensive stats and Speed), and Victini a sweeper (high offensive stats and Speed). And while they can do their jobs good now, imagine if they allocated some points in a stat or two they're not going to use often into stats they want to focus on (though hopefully we may see that when/if they get Megas)?

Hmm, stupid idea (do not take seriously)

Gen I introduced battling
Gen III doubled the amount of Pokemon you can use.
Gen V added another one.
Gen VII will have 4vs4 battling or even better yet 6vs6. All 6 Pokemon out on the field at once. Didn't expect that didja!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gen VII will have 4vs4 battling or even better yet 6vs6. All 6 Pokemon out on the field at once. Didn't expect that didja!
I would have gone for Double Rotational Battles. :P

This is how I imagine it working:

1. Active Pokemon are the ones currently battling within the battlefield.
2. Waiting Pokemon are neither in the battlefield or next to each other, they can't do anything until rotated to the active/swappable spots.
3. Swappable Pokemon, being outside the battlefield and close to each other, can change places so they're now on the other rotational circle (that way you're not stuck with certain combinations).
4a. And if one Pokemon gets knocked out that Rotational Circle would then only have two spot: Active & Swappable (unless the trainer revives a Pokemon in which case the revived Pokemon is placed in the Waiting spot).
4b. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon in it and the trainer revives one Pokemon, it's placed in the Swappable spot.
5a. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon while the other Rotational Circle has three the Swappable Pokemon can go into the Swappble spot of the other Rotational Circle letting both circles have two Pokemon (however neither circle can have 3 Pokemon again unless the trainer )
5b. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon while the other Rotational Circle has two the Swappable Pokemon can freely go back and forth between the Swappable spots on both Rotational Circle.

NOTE: This isn't wishlisting, I don't expect this to ever be a real thing. I just thought of it and couldn't help but expand on it to make it sound at least plausible, but as you read it's a bit complicated to every be considered.

I believe hoping for a new battle mechanic is wishlisting

Things to note: The Sun & Moon protagonist is the first not to wear a track suit or track jacket.
The legendaries have resemblances to pyroar and noivern, which are both second stage evolutions
People made some mistakes with the timeline of x/y

They said the second stages were announced in September, but that is when the first stages were. The second stages were announced the day before the game came out. However, prior to this game, with exceptions to the third versions, and remakes, data was given instantaneously to the announcement, which was in January, but we didn't get info till May,and the game was announced in February which means the game is on a much shorter schedule, which will either make these games a mystery, or more data will be given in the remaining 6(+E3) news cycles

I would have gone for Double Rotational Battles. :P

This is how I imagine it working:

1. Active Pokemon are the ones currently battling within the battlefield.
2. Waiting Pokemon are neither in the battlefield or next to each other, they can't do anything until rotated to the active/swappable spots.
3. Swappable Pokemon, being outside the battlefield and close to each other, can change places so they're now on the other rotational circle (that way you're not stuck with certain combinations).
4a. And if one Pokemon gets knocked out that Rotational Circle would then only have two spot: Active & Swappable (unless the trainer revives a Pokemon in which case the revived Pokemon is placed in the Waiting spot).
4b. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon in it and the trainer revives one Pokemon, it's placed in the Swappable spot.
5a. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon while the other Rotational Circle has three the Swappable Pokemon can go into the Swappble spot of the other Rotational Circle letting both circles have two Pokemon (however neither circle can have 3 Pokemon again unless the trainer )
5b. If a Rotational Circle only has one Pokemon while the other Rotational Circle has two the Swappable Pokemon can freely go back and forth between the Swappable spots on both Rotational Circle.

NOTE: This isn't wishlisting, I don't expect this to ever be a real thing. I just thought of it and couldn't help but expand on it to make it sound at least plausible, but as you read it's a bit complicated to every be considered.
In actual rotation battles, the rotation could go either way, so why doesn't that happen on your design

we have 1 v 5 already(Horde) and ORAS started Horde trainer battles, so why don't we get something like 5v5

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pikachu315111 , something to note is that Triples has a dedicated community in Japan. It isn't nearly as large as Battle Spot Singles or Doubles, but its enough that there are plenty of Japanese battle blogs focused on teaching the metagame, enough that analyses are actually happening (albeit slowly for a year due to some real life snags some of us went through, gonna fix that soon!). Its possible gamefreak has mostly forgotten triples, but the playerbase has kept it alive!

Rotations however, is sadly a different story. Rotations is basically the one Battle Spot ladder that has huge deadzones. There is apparently a small japanese Rotations community somewhere since I noticed a group of high ranked rotations players were all friends with each other... but yeah, that's a metagame I feel like gamefreak really forgot!

As for Sky Battles, honestly I feel like they were just a gimmick made for the single player adventure. We've never actually had an online Sky Ladder battle spot special ladder or tournament. Interestingly enough, I noticed that in the first Japanese Pokemon Sun and Moon trailer, Lunaala appeared to be on the ground when it was using what appeared to be Cosmic Power. This makes me wonder if Sky Battles are just out in gen 7, which means a lot of Flying Pokemon may have grounded models (notice whenever you get a Flying-type in mystery gift, they're on the ground and have different animations!)

Finally, as for inverse: I really do hope Gamefreak expands upon that in gen 7. We've had an Inverse Battle Spot Special every year now (hopefully we'll get another one this year after VGC is over), and its a real blast! I mean, its a metagame where Miltank is used as a Breloom check, whats not to love?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In actual rotation battles, the rotation could go either way, so why doesn't that happen on your design

we have 1 v 5 already(Horde) and ORAS started Horde trainer battles, so why don't we get something like 5v5
It does in mine too, I just thought it wasn't a needed thing to note. Everything that applies to normal Rotation Battles apply.

Horde Battles I think will remain a story element cause honestly it doesn't make sense in formatted battles. The idea with hordes is that you sort of got ambushed and only got time to send out one Pokemon to defend yourself with and if you try sending any more out the active Pokemon will be pummeled before the others can be sent out.

Also I think any battles where you have more than 3 active Pokemon is getting a bit ridiculous. Triple Battles you already have to worry about your placement of the Pokemon as your Pokemon on the right usually can't reach the opponent's Pokemon on the left (and vice versa. Also the middle Pokemon can be attacked from all sides), a 4v4, 5v5, or 6v6 would be the same thing except now you have more placements. Any new kind of battles would have an additional gimmick to it aside more active Pokemon.

Theorymon:
Not talking if they have supported fanbases. While nice to hear Tripe Battles has a fanbase, what is GF's view on it? We already rarely get Double Battles in the main game, but Triple (and Rotational) are mainly kept in the Battle Facility.

Sky Battles was poorly planned, it's just a normal battle with limited options. You'd think being you're flying they'd take that into account like positioning your Pokemon would be involved and maybe some moves/abilities would act differently. But no, I think they just heard about the guy who tried to fly off the Eiffel Tower in a wingsuit and thought having battles in the sky would be a cool visual change (you'll notice that in ORAS that soaring (or being in space) doesn't care what Pokemon you use). Also the requirement to who can participate in Sky battles is finicky as Pokemon who should qualify don't either cause they're touching the ground or aren't Flying-types/have Levitate even though they have wings and some are even flying/floating in the air.

They really should include Inverse Battle in the next Battle Facility.

Pikachu315111 , something to note is that Triples has a dedicated community in Japan. It isn't nearly as large as Battle Spot Singles or Doubles, but its enough that there are plenty of Japanese battle blogs focused on teaching the metagame, enough that analyses are actually happening (albeit slowly for a year due to some real life snags some of us went through, gonna fix that soon!). Its possible gamefreak has mostly forgotten triples, but the playerbase has kept it alive!

Rotations however, is sadly a different story. Rotations is basically the one Battle Spot ladder that has huge deadzones. There is apparently a small japanese Rotations community somewhere since I noticed a group of high ranked rotations players were all friends with each other... but yeah, that's a metagame I feel like gamefreak really forgot!

As for Sky Battles, honestly I feel like they were just a gimmick made for the single player adventure. We've never actually had an online Sky Ladder battle spot special ladder or tournament. Interestingly enough, I noticed that in the first Japanese Pokemon Sun and Moon trailer, Lunaala appeared to be on the ground when it was using what appeared to be Cosmic Power. This makes me wonder if Sky Battles are just out in gen 7, which means a lot of Flying Pokemon may have grounded models (notice whenever you get a Flying-type in mystery gift, they're on the ground and have different animations!)

Finally, as for inverse: I really do hope Gamefreak expands upon that in gen 7. We've had an Inverse Battle Spot Special every year now (hopefully we'll get another one this year after VGC is over), and its a real blast! I mean, its a metagame where Miltank is used as a Breloom check, whats not to love?
Rotation needs some love (it's always interested me) and Inverse Battles need to be a built-in selection for multiplayer.

Reactions: JES

There is evidence to back that up with Rowlet, but there were some pokemon that could be in sky battles that had grounded sprites like taillow, pidgey and pidove. Lunaala was flying in that scene though...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
There is evidence to back that up with Rowlet, but there were some pokemon that could be in sky battles that had grounded sprites like taillow, pidgey and pidove. Lunaala was flying in that scene though...
Actually many first stages of birds couldn't participate in Sky Battles. They were the odd exceptions I talked about. Despite being Flying-types the following Pokemon couldn't participate in Sky Battles BUT their evolution could: Pidgey, Spearow, Hoothoot, Natu, Taillow, Starly, Murkrow, Pidove, Archen, Ducklett, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Fletchling. To add to that, Farfetch'd, Delibird, Hawlucha, and Tynamo can't participate and I don't know why (though I can understand some exclusions like Gengar, Doduo family, and Shaymin Sky Forme).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure its a video, they didn't specify last time
A video was indirectly referred to last time by Masuda stating to check YouTube. I don't believe we got any indication that there will be a video for this news drop.

A video was indirectly referred to last time by Masuda stating to check YouTube. I don't believe we got any indication that there will be a video for this news drop.
It says look for a video on the twitter....However I am not familiar with twitter so i ca't say if that works or not
Erm, this is pointless speculation, and it doesn't do the thread any good, since things can just snowball into complete baseless wish listing and spam. For now, let's try to discuss just what we know for certain, so this thread doesn't get prematurely locked.
Yeah, sorry, I kind of had to, but the last sentence however was relevant- Leafage is a portmanteau of Leaf and Barrage, as Leaf and Plumage would be limited to grass birds

Safe to say we won't see many new moves with high base power? That's something that doesn't feel like it will change.
Well, umm...aside from some signature moves like Precipice Blades and Light of Ruin...Boomburst would be the only move introduced in Gen VI with a base power of over one hundred, although Moon Blast and Play Rough are each good, but are designed soley for the new type. On top of thise, Fire Blast, Blizzard, and Thunder all took nerfs, and it seems like most of the new moves are more oriented toward support and effect than power, which probably has to do with the introduction of the megas, and new abilities like Pixilate and Tough Claws.

On the other hand, while Gen V also had a hand in introducing several signature moves, it also introduced four moves above one hundred base power that were more widely spread, including Hurricane and Synchronoise, and the moves that were introduced tended to be more offensive in nature, and seemed to have a higher average base power than the succeeding generation.

Generation IV, though, introduced sixteen total non-signature moves (fifteen discounting Rock Wrecker, until it was learned by Dwebble and Crustle later) above one hundred base power. It seems that most of the moves introduced then were used to expand the physical-special split, Giga Impact is a good example of this, so there was a focus on expanding the movepool. Even so, there does seem to be a noticable trend over the past few generations of fewer high powered moves.

What new moves there are, and what their effects will be, however, will likely be influenced by the prevalant theme of this generation. Generation IV focused on balancing the new organizational system by providing a wealth of useful moves for both sides of the split. Generation V focused on expanding the amount of available Pokémon, and worked to develop moves that could better fit the roster. Generation VI, on the other hand, tipped the scales of an individual's power by introducing megas, and so focused on support over strength in an attempt to restore balance. Or so it seems, at least.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Islands.

New Legendaries ARE called Solgaleo and Lunala (slightly better for English). Solgaleo has a Clear Body clone and we don't see what Shadow Shield does. Two new moves that are decently powerful, more names of the other characters too!

Some cool shots of environments as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)