Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that Pikachu will get a Mega. Though on the flip side, that likely means Raichu won't, though who knows. Maybe they finally give Raichu some love (and maybe an appearance in the anime we it isn't presented as a jerk).

That's confirmed to be fake on the next page of the thread....
Too bad it has been determined to be fake, sorry to disappoint you.
Sorry. The cuteness was too much and I didn't realize that there were more pages on the thread. If only that was a joke.

I doubt that Pikachu will get a Mega. Though on the flip side, that likely means Raichu won't, though who knows. Maybe they finally give Raichu some love (and maybe an appearance in the anime we it isn't presented as a jerk).

Sorry. The cuteness was too much and I didn't realize that there were more pages on the thread. If only that was a joke.

I know, ikr?! And the idea of a Koalanut Pokémon seemed like one of those things the concept artists would come up with. But given that most of the new Pokémon are going to be derived from what lives in southern France or Great Britain (hopefully, they'll confirm that soon), I guess that maybe a Koala isn't right yet. But once they get to doing something for Australia...

Think if everyone keeps complaining that Nintendo's abusing Pikachu's older (and arguably better mature) brother, they'll give in, and green light Game Freak to give him a Mega? I wouldn't be surprised if, like a certain FlyDragonFly, they already have a design or two stored away...

in the battle between the Sun and the Moon which side will you pick?

Eh, I have a tendency to go with the blue color (or the closest thing to it), so probably Blue Moon Version. I went with the softly colored silvery Lugia, the blue death orca Kyogre, the beautiful living blue gem Dialga, and the dark and tough looking Zekrom, and haven't regretted it. Oddly enough, I rented Red Version, though my parents choose not to buy it for me, since I played on it all day.

Of course, the Box Legendary alone can determine everything. I went with the reddish Y for once, and don't regret catching my Ypsilon (though thank Arceus for that Timid 6IV Xerneas! Wow, that Geomancy packs a wallop!). If the Sun Legendary looks kickass, then Sun it is!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So Gaijin Goombah released a video on the 26th giving his theory on what Sun & Moon is going to be about and I feel it might be worth some discussion. Here's the video (it's only 7 minutes long)

So to summarize his main points:

1. Since past mascot Legendaries all have basis in mythology, he believes the same for S&M. (Reasonable enough, I'd say almost obvious)
2. He believes the mascot Legendaries would be the Shinto deities Amaterasu the sun goddess and Tsukuyomi the moon god. (A plausible theory, sun and moon gods would be the obvious direction to go for Legendary mascots. Of course others (if not most) polytheistic cultures also have a sun and moon god. Not only that, with Pokemon having moved out of Japan it would be odd for them to go back, or would it?)
3. With Unova based on New York and Kalos based on France, Pokemon hasn't had a new region based on Japan for a few years now (minus the remake of Hoenn and re-release of Gen I). However since then a new challenger has arisen in the mon genre: Yo-Kai Watch!. Anyone who knows about Yo-Kai Watch! knows it has taken over Japan and does serve as the closest competitor to Pokemon. It could be possible that GF may want to go back to their roots to show their homeland fans they haven't forgotten about them and try to set a foothold back in the Asian markets (which could also be why they have translated the games into Chinese).

So, what do you think? Everything Gaijin Goombah says makes sense, and he is experienced in Japanese culture.

Personally, I would think this would be a step back for GameFreak. First off I don't think Yo-Kai Watch's popularity has anything to do with the Pokemon franchise basing regions on non-Japanese places, especially since Yo-Kai Watch is going to do the same thing with their third game. I can understand it's disappointing to know your franchise isn't as popular in its homeland as it once was, but if they focus on trying to restore Pokemon's popularity in Japan they could risk losing some of the international community. Not because it'll be another region based on Japan, I'm fine with that as long as they make it interesting, but if they want to really attract back the Japanese audience from Yo-Kai Watch! they'd have to do more to make it appealing to Japanese audiences. And remember, Yo-Kai Watch! may be popular in Japan but it's not doing so hot anywhere else because its so rooted into Japanese culture that anyone not part of it has a lot of the meaning and symbolism lost on them. Now Pokemon's popularity will carry it on through if they do that, though it will give off a message to the international community that, no matter how big of a fanbase they have outside of Japan, the Japanese fanbase comes first and they'll do anything to get that audience back over the international audience.

I say GF should just keep pushing on with basing regions off location outside of Japan (at least unless they want to go back to Japan because they feel they could do something unique there, not just because there's a new mon series). It would give the message they're focusing on a global scale, no favoritism.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Regarding the above: Honestly I don't really care either way since basing new regions off of wherever does not really mean anything except acknowledging that said country's various national quirks are recognized worldwide and thus suitable for an international release (except Japan for obvious reasons). You also have to consider how much research goes into basing a region off a foreign country as opposed to areas and places the designers are already familiar with. Less money/time spent on that shit means more time/money spent on other shit like the actual content of the game. Still though, I don't care either way as long as they push out a decent game.

Speaking of things I really hope they do in S&M content wise is improve their environments.

I think the environment design in XY sucked and ORAS didn't do much to improve on it. There were basically 0 impressive setpieces aside from the admittedly pretty awesome reflective bodies of water, with everything either looking blocky as shit due to their obvious use of tiles (despite showing in various areas that they are clearly capable of rounded areas, etc) or just not impressive because of no effort being put into the lighting (aside from aforementioned ponds and lakes and shit). The soft-shaded almost-pastel tones of the 3D models, as well as GAME FREAK's habit of using fuzzy outlines on everything, do not help this lack of visual snazz since they remove almost any hope of achieving dramatic lighting on said models. So despite it being good at looking cute (like in Pokemon-Amie), the environment never looked cool where it counted (The Cave of Origin was dumb and the Primal's models in the cave looked dumb [to me anyway]). So hopefully they step up their game with their lighting engine (or is this a texture issue? not sure) and their implementation of setpieces. Something closer to the vein of the old XD games, for example, where the colors are more vivid and 'harsher,' in a way, would be great.

e: Things ORAS did improve on: aforementioned sparklin water areas, which were cool as fuck + better slow pans/zooms on areas with movement relative to said area to show scale (like the cave of the legendary bird, surfin in the ocean, etc)

e2: also not judging but gaijin goombah is such a cringey name jesus

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've never watched this Goombah guy, but according to people on another fourm I visit he's full of BS.

I doubt GF would risk their international audience for the sake of the local one. Way too much is at stake.

I hope there will be a 100 vs 100 pokemon format in the future...

As for the argument that pokemon will ever end, well, it won't. Sometime in the 3000s, Bender and Fry will play a version of pokemon...
And, sometime in the 24th Century, Pokémon will be a very popular series of Holo Suites. Oh, that is going to put the metagame on it's head! Oh, if only it were popular enough so that was the holoprogram that Naomi Wildman liked (that was after Paramount got Nintendo's permission), and not that strange blue fella!

There's also the fact that Yokai Watch isn't doing to well outside of Japan and from what I've heard it's nowhere near a potential rival for Pokémon at all. That said, whether it's based in Japan or not most people aren't really going to care so

Pokemon Sun and Moon will NOT be distributed in China.

Despite the inclusion of Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese, Nintendo has no plans of distributing the games in China.
The Chinese version is merely for Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia.

I suppose it's because China's laws are still too fiddly for Nintendo to handle.
I've always wondered why Pokémon wasn't distributed in China, given the amount of potential customers. I've always figured it was political (China might be capitalist, but the ruling party isn't the best exactly when it comes to tolerating free thought).

Masuda made a Vine and posted it on his Twitter. It's tagged for Sun and Moon.

https://vine.co/v/i6Yzw9x3DOW
Sounds like maybe the cry for a new Pokémon (does he do cries?). It also reminds me of the sounds of that horrible, horrible Galactic Lab (BUUURRN IT TO THE GROUND!!!). That, or someone's airspeeder needs to have their repulsorlift looked at.

Last edited:
Could be a new cry, could be some kind of special effect sound for a new move. Sounds like some kind of techno-monstrosity, either way. Mega Genesect (jk)?

There's apparently a Nintendo Direct on the Third this month at 2PM PT. We did just get a full-on Pokémon Direct so I'm not expecting anything Pokémon related; but just in case...
It could still mean we might get an actual trailer this time, or at least some general info about release dates, ect.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
There's apparently a Nintendo Direct on the Third this month at 2PM PT. We did just get a full-on Pokémon Direct so I'm not expecting anything Pokémon related; but just in case...

All I know is that they will release a special movie trailer tomorrow at 6:45 am.

EDIt: The Nintendo Direct is real!!

Last edited:
I hope the starters we get this gen are unique type combinations. I swear, if we go back to a Fire/Fighting starter, I will flip my 275 competitive Pokemon on their heads and scream riot.

That is all.
If they just have to make another Fire/Fighting type, I just hope that they at least have the boldness to make it Specially oriented, with Aura Sphere (DO NOT WANT FOCUS MISS BLAST!!!), or otherwise the coolest, fastest, strongest of that type ever, or I'm avoiding it. Like, until I need the damn family tree to complete my 'Dex!

Personally, I wouldn't bank on more megas from Gen 1 or 3 unfortunately. I can see them doing 2 and 4 based on the anniversary of other things.
Flygon and Exploud are crying in a corner, wondering my Game Freak doesn't love them. And Shiftry. And Ludicolo. And Walrein. And Machamp. And Golem. Need I continue? Milotic on the other hand can go fuck off!

Which of course begs the question: will this game get a 7.8 from the IGN again due to "too much water"? An archipelagic region is definitely uncharted territory, idk how story progression would work. Sevii Islands 2.0?
Or Orange Islands 2.0?

Last edited:
Flygon and Exploud are crying in a corner, wondering my Game Freak doesn't love them. And Shiftry. And Ludicolo. And Walrein. And Machamp. And Golem. Need I continue? Milotic on the other hand can go fuck off!
Machamp is the only one of those that would make sense to give a mega to. Flygon was already slated to get one but it didn't work out right?

Machamp is the only one of those that would make sense to give a mega to. Flygon was already slated to get one but it didn't work out right?
Why cancel giving Flygon one, when they can just postpone it until they think of something? Flygon clearly deserves one.

They said they might save the idea of a Mega Flygon for next gen if they come up with a good idea for it. So...
I predict that even if Flygon got a mega his fanbase would still somehow complain about it. "Wow, they couldn't give him Sand stream? Bullshit Gamefreak."

Why cancel giving Flygon one, when they can just postpone it until they think of something? Flygon clearly deserves one.
See that's the thing I really don't think it does. It has hardcore fans but people overrate the popularity of the thing.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
On the not-randomly-speculating-baselessly-on-what-megas-we-might-get-if-any-at-all side of things...

Actually no I've got nothing. Where did this conversation come from?

Where's that poster from?
Pokemon movie official Twitter.

Thought this was interesting and quite possibly Masuda did as well.

"Like other European Celtic tribes, those of Spain revered the sun and the moon, and attached great significance to forests, rivers, wells, and mountains."Link.

The idea that I'm trying to connect is that maybe there is a connection between AZ and the Celtic tribes in our world. Geohenge / Stonehenge anyone? The historical significance of ancient wars?

Remember, AZ's Floette still has yet to be announced but still seems to hold some relevance to the untold story.

The significance of the inclusion of fairies is poignant as well. Celtic tribes believed in fairy people, fairy is the typing of AZ's closest pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)