Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, like Black2/White2? Then why not make it part of Gen 6 in that case?

Sweetstack i am curious as to what gives you a feeling that Kalos is incomplete? If it is mostly Zygarde, why would it be more okay for Kyurem to not get more lore vs Zygarde not getting more lore? Is it the post-game being fairly anemic? That aspect bothers me a bit, but doesnt make me feel that the region as a whole is incomplete. You can get a sense of what the culture is like, the locations are fairly neat, and the characters have some nice personality. The bgm for the towns is mostly forgettable, imo, with only a couple of good tracks. (At least, it wasnt until halfway through the game before I realized I wasnt paying much attention to the soundtrack.) The story, while the pacing is a little wonky at times, works out alright. It goes over the backstory pretty nicely, explains the motivations for the characters well, and wraps everything story-related up at the end. Imo: Kalos is pretty much complete.
Why can't it be part of Gen 6, does it have to be gen 7?

What, like Black2/White2? Then why not make it part of Gen 6 in that case?

Sweetstack i am curious as to what gives you a feeling that Kalos is incomplete? If it is mostly Zygarde, why would it be more okay for Kyurem to not get more lore vs Zygarde not getting more lore? Is it the post-game being fairly anemic? That aspect bothers me a bit, but doesnt make me feel that the region as a whole is incomplete. You can get a sense of what the culture is like, the locations are fairly neat, and the characters have some nice personality. The bgm for the towns is mostly forgettable, imo, with only a couple of good tracks. (At least, it wasnt until halfway through the game before I realized I wasnt paying much attention to the soundtrack.) The story, while the pacing is a little wonky at times, works out alright. It goes over the backstory pretty nicely, explains the motivations for the characters well, and wraps everything story-related up at the end. Imo: Kalos is pretty much complete.
If it had to be anything, I would say that the people in the Kalos region are severely less characteristic than the people in Unova. I loved how most of the gym leaders in BW had something going on prior to your gym battle that really showed you who they were. Elesa, for example, had that moment where she stood up for Bianca in front of Bianca's dad. The only moments you got out of the XY gym leaders like that were Grant gloating about his latest racing victory and Wulfric in the Pokemon Village. Both were annoying for different reasons.

There was even a huge post-game event in BW that revolved around shutting down the remnants of Team Plasma by locating and arresting the Seven Sages. Objectively, the Looker quests were probably just as intricate, but it still felt a little smaller scale since there were a smaller cast of important NPCs, and the villain got redeemed in XY which felt like a poor choice, given the way it was handled.

That and it felt like there was less interaction going on overall. The exploration factor of finding Mega stones was kind of fun, but you didn't have cool shit like the Rondez-view Ferris Wheel, the change of seasons, etc. Even the Winding Woods, which could be seen as a kind of gameplay parallel to the Strange House, had a kind of augmented experience for being a mandatory part of gameplay. That doesn't mean it was worse, but I don't feel like it had as much impact as the Strange House.

There's just a lot of little bitty things that add up.

It's possible; but both of these things are directly related to non-event things already in the game. They are a bit more suspicious - I'm not saying it's not possible; your theory is completely sound, but these things seem a bit more suspect than the Azure Flute.
It could be possible that they were planned for a possible future 6th gen game but the idea of the game was scrapped due to GF moving to 7th gen. Who knows, they may be in the data of SM.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, another odd thing I just noticed. Special Battle Season 15 will allow players to use pretty much Legendaries that were version mascots. This also includes Mewtwo (whom is probably there just so there can be Gen I representation) and Zygarde. Now yes, Zygarde is grouped with Xerneas and Yveltal, but I think it's still notable that Zygarde is recognized as being equal to the mascot Legendaries (even though it's the weakest one among them in terms of base stats having a BST of 600).

Couldn't the Thousand arrows/waves and AZ's Floette be the Azure flute of the 6th gen?
The thing is, no Pokemon or move coded in the game was left unreleased so far. I remember the same discussion about Arceus back in the 4th gen and that it could have been coded for testing purposes (can be converted to every type, has 120 base stats all around). Azure Flute wasn't, but the Pokemon itself was eventually released. It'd be very odd if they didn't release AZ's Floette.

Reactions: JES
Hmm, another odd thing I just noticed. Special Battle Season 15 will allow players to use pretty much Legendaries that were version mascots. This also includes Mewtwo (whom is probably there just so there can be Gen I representation) and Zygarde. Now yes, Zygarde is grouped with Xerneas and Yveltal, but I think it's still notable that Zygarde is recognized as being equal to the mascot Legendaries (even though it's the weakest one among them in terms of base stats having a BST of 600).
It's the VGC 2016 ruleset, which allows all pokemon except the (DLC) Mythical Pokemon like Mew, Keldeo, and Diance. Not really odd, tbh.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For special battle seasons, Zygarde is lumped in with the "box legendaries" along with Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde itself. Special battle Season 15 has a special restriction on this group of Pokemon, which includes Zygarde: You cannot have more than two Box Legendaries in your team at any one time. This is a special group of Pokemon that although can be used, has limitations on its usage. Zygarde is included in this restriction, and Zygarde is often grouped with Xerneas and Yveltal. I think Pokemon Rumble World or something like that also has Zygarde grouped with Xerneas and Yveltal. I think there have been several hints, but it's painfully obvious that Zygarde is related to Xerneas and Yveltal and is part of a trio with them. Zygarde is even considered a box legendary and is in this special restricted group.

Regarding Sun and Moon themselves, I'm actually becoming increasingly convinced that Zygarde will play an important role in these games along with Xerneas and Yveltal themselves. Zygarde might become a very prominent figure in Sun and Moon's story, and this generation will almost definitely be a GSC esque game to X and Y and will be connected to Gen 6 in some way or another. Also, speaking of which:

Feast your eyes on Perfect Zygarde, everyone! We saw this long ago, but look at its chest. ITS CHEST: TAKE A CLOSE LOOK. Look closely, and you shall see: Pokemon Sun and Moon is evident there. Pokemon Sun and Moon's color schemes are red-orange and dark-light blue. Zygarde's chest has Pokemon Sun's red-orange color and Pokemon Moon's dark-light blue-white color as a line across its own chest! This is in addition to its appendages being X blue and Y red, but Pokemon Sun and Moon's color schemes are there, right on Perfect Zygarde's chest. I could be wrong, but I think this is proof that our beloved Zygarde formes will play a strong role in Gen 7 and Pokemon Sun and Moon. Zygarde is highly likely to be extremely prominent to Sun and Moon's story from my perspective. I think we shall see Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves, as well as AZ's Floette, enter fruition in Sun and Moon as well. Perfect Zygarde is becoming a piece of evidence that we may see Sun and Moon have a strong connection to X and Y, and it's possible that Kalos will be in Sun and Moon as well, even if we don't see it as the primary region.

So yes, I'm certain Zygarde is in the same level of legendaries as Xerneas and Yveltal as well as all the other box legends. It's no ordinary legendary Pokemon like those bird or dogs. And it will be storyline relevant in these games, I'm sure. Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Light of Ruin, and AZ's Floette might actually become legal here in Gen 7, as well as the Zygarde formes too.

That's just my thoughts regarding some of this.

I think I'd honestly stop playing if they added anything akin to ReBurst... Ashninja is already pushing it for my tastes. Stick with mega's for a bit longer GF as Pikachu315111 said. I don't want to have to learn another massive mechanic change so soon after the last. At this point, we will likely be able to have a Mega, Primal and Burst mon on our teams...

EJ190 Chances are it will only be for specific Pokemon, just like the Megas were... So it might not be that difficult to model, even so, it sounds naff as all hell. If this is the direction they want to go, I'm kinda worried going forwards.
At the risk of tempting fate, I have to ask the question: how bad could it be? :)

It's complete in the sense that it meets the basic requirements of a Pokemon game but felt underwhelming and a bit bare bones at times. B/W was simply a much richer in both the region and the story, whereas XY felt like there were aspects of both the region and story that could have been expanded upon. I won't go into specifics because Codraroll and Yveltal did a great job explaining in detail as to why XY felt lackluster in comparison to B/W.

So here's a theory I ran into this evening, that you might have seen as well. I personally feel that with these games having bucked so many trends already trying to predict the future using the past is probably not the best idea, but then again, there is actual evidence for this. Possibly.

So, notice that the Japanese logos for XY contain the Mega Evolution symbol:

And that the Japanese ORAS logos contain each Orb:

Both games contained a new mechanic that went "beyond evolution"--Mega Evolution in XY, Primal Reversion in ORAS--and the symbols for these mechanics are contained within their Japanese logos. So, notice how the Japanese logos for our new games contain a certain symbol as well, those little diamonds in the center?

Some have gone on to say that those look like Burst Hearts, from that manga that still hasn't made its American debut, which allow humans to combine with Pokemon. And so the theory goes that something Ash-Greninja-esque could be making its appearance in Gen VII --recall that it is explicitly stated that Ash-Greninja is not a Mega, and is thus something else entirely. Also recall that, per official sources, the Ash-Greninja thing is explicitly stated to have happened once before, long ago, in Kalos. So maybe, possibly, stronger evidence for a tieback to Kalos in some way, as a second region a-la the Johto games or something else?

Anyway that's a theory I wish I'd come up with, although it is one I'm a bit skeptical about, but nonetheless one of the stronger and more substantial ones I've seen by far (although that's not saying much). Thoughts?
Yeah, 95% sure I wouldn't buy the games if they did something this ridiculous

Last edited:
I wish we'd drop the whole Reburst thing, it's getting ridiculous.

Want a REAL clue as to what this next generation will be like? Well remember this interview with Ken Sugimori just after X and Y came out:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/07/pokmon-art-director-wants-next-generation-simpler/

To summarize, Mr. Sugimori wanted the next generation to be a throw back to the original 151 in terms of design, making them simpler but also stylized. To give an idea of his personal style preferences, his favorite pokemon to draw is Gengar while his least favorite is Venasaur.

What does this mean on Sun and Moon? Absolutely nothing! Even in the interview he claims that Gen 7 might not go that way. Plus "simple" design is pretty vague, meaning anything from just "not like Digimon" to "everything is Voltorb and Seel". But from the brief preview of the woodpecker/kookaburra pokemon it seems likely this style choice is being implemented to some degree. And it does make some sense for the anniversary title to have a throwback to the original games, at least in a spiritual sense.

Again, this interview means nothing and they can change or reverse policies anytime in the last 3 years, but I think it does strongly suggest that super complex designs (like some of Gen 4) and especially something like Reburst are very unlikely to happen.

I'm going to jump over the tricky topic of fetish shamming and just attack the real reason a Reburst style format would not be good for a main series pokemon game:

It takes focus off of the monsters. In basic, it takes the "boy and his dog" plots and cheapens the monster/trainer bond. Sure they can talk a good game about how pokemon/human hybrids are fueled by friendship and bonds, but from a technical standpoint it turns the monsters into a type of equipment, an armor if you will, that the human character can put on and take off. Armor has no character, it doesn't feel, it doesn't bond, you just put it on and take it off. Replace it when it becomes obsolete. This isn't a boy and his monster anymore, this is just a Power Rangers/Super Sentai with extra steps. All the focus shifts to the human trainer and what outfit they happen to be wearing. The monster itself gets second billing.

So without even mentioning Furries, THAT's why a Reburst format would not work in a main series game.

By who? And how do we know it won't be changed?
From Pokemon.com/Nintendo:
Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon
"As we celebrate 20 years since the launch of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Greenin Japan, the next era of Pokémon games is being announced! Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"

I'd say new world, new Pokemon and new adventures supports the idea of a new generation.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'd like to get things back on topic, so can we talk about the new bird again?
At the risk of tempting fate (again), I want second the answer to that question too!
I don't like things that were made to look sexy. It's nothing against furrys pacifically. My second reason is pony furrys. It didn't take me long to get sick of ponies being everywhere on the internet and now I have a hatred of an irrational extent for them. Third reason, Miltank. 'nuf said. Sorry about the mental scarring everyone got from reading that.

I'd like to get things back on topic with something we haven't talked about, but the only things we haven't talked about are pure speculations and I know we'd rather stick to what we know for sure... Can we talk about the new bird again? It's cute. :)
have we talked about the small woodpecker pokemon shown briefly during the trailer yet? If we haven't...

looks like standard region normal flying line to me
Bumping this post for reference.

From what I can understand, it seems like Junichi Masuda planned the Pokémon series' direction in a very organized manner since Ruby and Sapphire. After all, the upcoming seventh generation is attempting to unite the majority of Pokémon players and/or fans, whatever that means. Will we eventually get to that point where the generational count no longer matters to the fandom? Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)