Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I don't know if their financial problems are affecting the marketing department because they are opting to spend money on game development instead but something feels wrong.
I've been having this same feeling since SM were announced and all of zygarde's stuff was ignored.

Nintendo tweeted the NX announcement at like 1 a.m. pacific time and they're delaying LoZ til then. The company seems to be having a lot of difficulty with marketing right now. Adding to what we've experienced with Z/S&M, it seems like they're directionless. I don't know if their financial problems are affecting the marketing department because they are opting to spend money on game development instead but something feels wrong.
Nintendo isn't as financially poor as people are making it out to be. Sales are down for the third year in a row to be sure, but profits are up an unprecedented 32% over last year. So they are selling less, but still taking more of my money! ;)

Although it's mostly due to the success of Amiibo, Splatoon, and Mario Maker. Ironically, the only console close to anything considered "financially challenged" (and I use the term very loosely) is Sony and the PS4, not due to the PS4 itself but Sony as a whole is bleeding (recovering, but still bleeding).

While directionless... might... be a true criticism (echoing Disney in the years after Walt died too), this isn't the first time Nintendo has been the low balling tier (N64 and Gamecube were both behind in the console wars). And it's not like this is the first time Nintendo has skipped E3 either, they've been pulling back from that for the last 3 years now. While I do question the NX release date, that has nothing to do with Pokemon so I'm dropping it. To quote dodgeball, that's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.

The only Pokemon take from this is that the lack of information on Pokemon Sun and Moon is most definitely a company wide gag order and not just Gamefreak.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Nintendo tweeted the NX announcement at like 1 a.m. pacific time and they're delaying LoZ til then. The company seems to be having a lot of difficulty with marketing right now. Adding to what we've experienced with Z/S&M, it seems like they're directionless. I don't know if their financial problems are affecting the marketing department because they are opting to spend money on game development instead but something feels wrong.
There are 0 financial problems. Will people please stop saying this! http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/27/please-for-the-love-of-god-stop-saying-nintendo-is-doomed (Not that I like quoting Kotaku of all places, but she makes some good points).

They have 5 BILLION Dollars CASH in the Bank... They could make "evens" forever and they would be perfectly fine. I mean if they needed a short term cash boost, they could have just released Pokemon Z (We all know it definitely existed, we all know it would have not taken a huge amount of resource to make).

Directionless I can understand. Iwata was a huge guiding force for Nintendo. Incredibly talented at gaming and at business. Few people exist quite like him on the entire planet. Nintendo will of course go through a bit of a muddley patch until a true successor is found and they really start to take the reigns of control over Nintendo. At the moment they are running some sort of 2/3/4 man system and I am not sure if that is the right way of doing things. I just hope in two weeks time we get the news we are all waiting for.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
They could just do more VC releases for Pokémon if they needed a quick buck for even less effort, because that's apparently an excuse to print money based off of how well RBY sold. They came just behind Fire Emblem Fates in sales (1.5 million units sold against Fates' 1.86 million), and Fates is a new game released in the West like a week before RBY which got a lot of marketing and hype, plus it's been on the market for months in Japan.

Last edited:
They could just do more VC releases for Pokémon if they needed a quick buck for even less effort, because that's apparently an excuse to print money based off of how well RBY sold. They came just behind Fire Emblem Fates in sales (1.5 million units sold against Fates' 1.86 million), and Fates is a new game released in the West like a week before RBY which got a lot of marketing and hype, plus it's been on the market for months in Japan.
I really like Pokémon, but this is ridiculous, lol.
Also, the lack of news is making me antsy.

Well, yeah, but Fates still isn't released in Europe yet - there's a week and a half till it's release date.
WHICH STILL MAKES ME SO MAD

Well, yeah, but Fates still isn't released in Europe yet - there's a week and a half till it's release date.
WHICH STILL MAKES ME SO MAD
So much saltiness. BTW, don't pay attention to all the people hating it and junk. I've learned that Fire Emblem fans hate everything. I've enjoyed almost all of it.

Eh, beyond all the... what I'll call animeisms, I'll be fine with it.
To steer the conversation away from Fire Emblem and getting back to the point... Nintendo is indeed in no financial crisis. Which should mean they shouldn't need to do things like Pokémon Shuffle, but hey.

Is it possible that we may move on to a new generation on a new console this early? The NX is real and next year, and we already know LoZ is going to be on it. As far as I know, each system has had around 2 generations on it. The 3DS is starting to die, and Nintendo is going to need reasons for people to buy the NX. I don't think it's unusual to think that Sun and Moon could end up being on the NX, or at least have a feature that the NX can be used for.

Is it possible that we may move on to a new generation on a new console this early? The NX is real and next year, and we already know LoZ is going to be on it. As far as I know, each system has had around 2 generations on it. The 3DS is starting to die, and Nintendo is going to need reasons for people to buy the NX. I don't think it's unusual to think that Sun and Moon could end up being on the NX, or at least have a feature that the NX can be used for.
Unless you count Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance as a single thing - which they aren't - Gens 1, 2 and 3 were the only generations on their respective consoles.
Also, despite a release date being announced, we still know nothing about the NX besides the fact the new Zelda will be on it - the new Zelda which is not a handheld, so at the least we can assume the NX is a home console. This doesn't rule out the theory of it being both a home and a handheld console but we have nothing to say it is.

Is Sun and Moon not confirmed for 3DS then? You can preorder it in stores here, I imagine a lot of people will be upset if they turn up for their new game only to find they need to buy a whole new console to play it :P

Maybe it's just my own humble opinion but, I'm actually enjoying the silence of Nintendo and co regarding Sun and Moon. I'd much rather get the game on release day, open it up brand new, and play the game blind with no spoilers or anything. It'd make it a true "New Trainer" experience, which I haven't really had since gen 1. I definitely understand the anxiety about wanting to know every little thing about the game before it comes out, but at some point, the mystery is gone and people will simply rush through the game. Can't we just enjoy it as it comes? My two cents anyway.

Sidebar:
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright is absolutely amazing, and I'm only on chapter 8. For those FE fans who don't like it, remember there were no two [western] fire emblem games that were exactly alike, save for maybe Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but that's because they were direct sequels.

Maybe it's just my own humble opinion but, I'm actually enjoying the silence of Nintendo and co regarding Sun and Moon. I'd much rather get the game on release day, open it up brand new, and play the game blind with no spoilers or anything. It'd make it a true "New Trainer" experience, which I haven't really had since gen 1. I definitely understand the anxiety about wanting to know every little thing about the game before it comes out, but at some point, the mystery is gone and people will simply rush through the game. Can't we just enjoy it as it comes? My two cents anyway.

Sidebar:
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright is absolutely amazing, and I'm only on chapter 8. For those FE fans who don't like it, remember there were no two [western] fire emblem games that were exactly alike, save for maybe Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but that's because they were direct sequels.
It's more that we were given silence after we were promised news - at least for me. Being promised something, especially by something so professional and then not being given it is... rather aggravating.

It's more that we were given silence after we were promised news - at least for me. Being promised something, especially by something so professional and then not being given it is... rather aggravating.
Ohh is that what it is? I was unaware nintendo, GF, and friends promised us information. I thought it was just us, the Pokemon Fans, that were expecting monthly updates, and then raging because we werent 'gettin any' so to speak. But if they did promise info and then not give us any info, then yeah I understand the aggravation. Still though, playing the game blind is gonna be more fun imo lol.

Ohh is that what it is? I was unaware nintendo, GF, and friends promised us information. I thought it was just us, the Pokemon Fans, that were expecting monthly updates, and then raging because we werent 'gettin any' so to speak. But if they did promise info and then not give us any info, then yeah I understand the aggravation. Still though, playing the game blind is gonna be more fun imo lol.
Yeah, I was really annoyed when I found out that unlike XY, there were no megas in ORAS that weren't already revealed to us.

I am going to try to play the game as blind as possible. After the starters and main legendaries are revealed I want to play the game without knowing everything. It was really nice playing X without knowing anything and just jumping in.

You have to balance mystery with information. We don't want to know everything (like knowing every single ORAS Mega), but just enough to keep us going until release. It's always nice to know a handful of Pokémon and some of the new gameplay features and it gets us hyped.
Kinda like Loot Crate: I know the theme and some of the properties that will be represented, but I have no clue of what I am going to get exactly. It's the perfect storm of mystery and foreknowledge causes me to be more hyped than if I just had one or the other.

Also, we've been teased TWICE now and every time they have talked about the game, it has given us almost nothing new that we didn't get from the sparse announcement video.
Cause here's what we've know (in bold is things we've learned since the announcement of Sun and Moon):
1) The games will be Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.
2) They will be released Winter/Holiday 2016
3) Magearna will be a new Mythical Steel/Fairy Pokémon.
4) It will be released for the 3DS family of systems (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, New 3DS, New 3DS XL).
5) Pokémon will be transferable (through Pokémon Bank) from the VC release of Generation I to Sun and Moon.

And that's all that is confirmed about Sun and Moon. Yeah, the only new thing in two months is that. We still don't actually know if the Zygarde forms or Ash-Greninja will be present in these new games. It seems likely (especially Zygarde), but hasn't been confirmed.
Really, all we want is either the box legends and/or the starters and we will likely be happy for a couple of months.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Had GF said "We're going to do an experiment for the new games being released for Pokemon's 20th Anniversary. We're going to release as little information as possible about the new game as we want to try and recreate the first experience people had when they played Pokemon, by going in blind and not knowing what to expect. We feel confident the quality of the game will meet all expectations that of a Pokemon game and more. We'll keep you up to date with any news that is released, but please understand it won't be much" or something to that effect there would be no complaints. Okay, maybe some complaints from spoiled people or those who think GF is trying to hide something, but I think for the most part I think Pokemon had built up a reputation it could pull a stunt like this.

But that's not what GF did. GF, or more specifically Coro Coro but I imagined they had to get permission from GF, said that starting next month (which was announced in March so would have been in April) that they'll start coverage on Sun & Moon. And then what did we get? Two blank boxes (yes it was connected to a joke which in hindsight was funny... but only to a certain extent). True, they never said they were going to tell us anything new and this could be considered them "starting" to cover the games but they had a bad start at it, but still they all knew when they made that announcement there was expectation for new information and they purposely chose to subvert it so no one should be surprised fans feel a bit mocked.

Last edited:
I still don't think that the gag order on Pokemon info is Gamefreak's fault here, but a universal edict by Nintendo (driven by whatever the heck is going on with the NX). I see more Gamefreak being all gung-ho "check out these Zygarde forms, now Ash-Greninja, and here's the Pokemon 20th anniversary special we are so excited to show you Sun and Moon and [WARNING! INCOMING GAME! WARNING! INCOMING GAME!]

Then Bob and Dot and Enzo had to fight off the User and while he won their press release for Pokemon Sun and Moon got turned into nulls.

...does anybody understand this reference? Is this too old?

Anyway, point is I don't think Gamefreak is at fault here. Looking back it seemed like they were all hyped to tell us about Pokemon Sun and Moon but something behind the scenes changed that and my money is on Nintendo itself.

Patience has been this game from the start, I guess we'll just have to find ways to distract ourselves until then.
How does Tiz get the best special attack music across two games?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Then Bob and Dot and Enzo had to fight off the User and while he won their press release for Pokemon Sun and Moon got turned into nulls.

...does anybody understand this reference? Is this too old?
Yes, it's too old. Now go back to your retirement home.

Anyway, point is I don't think Gamefreak is at fault here. Looking back it seemed like they were all hyped to tell us about Pokemon Sun and Moon but something behind the scenes changed that and my money is on Nintendo itself.
I seriously doubt Nintendo has that much control over them. If they can't to something as simple as give proper sound effects to the Smash Pokémon costumes in Mario Maker (inb4 that's been fixed), I doubt they have the power to get TPCi to shut up about their shiny new game. Besides, the only reason why they'd want to keep hush-hush on Sun and Moon info would be is if it was on the NX, and it isn't.

They're probably doing this for reasons separate from Nintendo's issues. Why? Who the hell knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)