Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm kinda interested to know different people's opinions on this 'cause I've seen rather mixed opinions on the matter on other sites. Would people like for Pokémon to follow the trainer akin to HGSS in gen 7? The reason I ask is because there is the argument that it allows for a stronger emotional connection to the Pokémon following you (I've never felt more attatched to my Pokémon than I did in my first HG playthrough), but I've also heard people say that it may end up looking weird with the 3D models. I'd like to be able to get an approximation of the general opinion on this, cause I am genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

Personally I like the aesthetic regardless of sprites v.s. models 'cause I've seen games like DQIX and Inazuma Eleven Go: Chrono Stones do really well with the aesthetic, and I definitely like being able to form that strong connection with my party members more than the somewhat-disconnected feeling that I get when I play through the games without my party leader following behind.

Last edited:
I'm kinda interested to know different people's opinions on this 'cause I've seen rather mixed opinions on the matter on other sites. Would people like for Pokémon to follow the trainer akin to HGSS in gen 7? The reason I ask is because there is the argument that it allows for a stronger emotional connection to the Pokémon following you (I've never felt more attatched to my Pokémon than I did in my first HG playthrough), but I've also heard people say that it may end up looking weird with the 3D models. I'd like to be able to get an approximation of the general opinion on this, cause I am genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

Personally I like the aesthetic regardless of sprites v.s. models 'because I've seen games like DQIX and Inazuma Eleven Go: Chrono Stones do really well with the aesthetic, and I definitely like being able to form that strong connection with my party members more than the somewhat-disconnected feeling that I get when I play through the games without my party leader following behind.
Yes I prefer the pokemon in your lead slot to follow you. Some of the 3D overworld sprites for pokemon actually look good to me...they may have to...downgrade...a bit...

My guess is that they're going to pull a BW2 to some extent in the story, which effectively pulled an updated version of what GSC did by aging most of the characters and adding a lot of behind-the-scenes development.

You couldn't name any of your friends/rivals like how you couldn't name Cheren and Bianca at the beginning of BW, which leads me to believe that they want to reintroduce those characters in the new games to show how they had all grown up in the last three years.

In that same vein, though, you couldn't really name Dawn/Lucas or Lyra/Hibiki(the male protagonist's english name in HGSS eludes me), so it could have been a way to simplify starting the game off to save us all from having to invent four extra names.

Personally I like the aesthetic regardless of sprites v.s. models 'cause I've seen games like DQIX and Inazuma Eleven Go: Chrono Stones do really well with the aesthetic, and I definitely like being able to form that strong connection with my party members more than the somewhat-disconnected feeling that I get when I play through the games without my party leader following behind.
It'd be cool but at the same time I don't want them to do it due to the insane workload that'd require which would dwarf other features. This would require making overworld models for all 721 Pokémon, and then many forms and all the new Gen 7 'mon and do walking animations for all directions. That would just be way too much in my honest opinion, especially for something that is really just a cute little touch. I'd prefer they brought back other dropped features like clothing and the battle frontier.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I'm secretly hoping that these games aren't linked to XY at all. I didn't like the games very much anyway, and I have a hunch that there is at least a chance of a full separation from the games just based on little bits in XY's plot. Team Flare was thoroughly destroyed at the end of XY as opposed to simple disbanding like happened with Team Rocket and Team Plasma (which returned in their respective sequel games), with any surviving flare staff being arrested by Looker and Lysandre being assumed dead after the accident with the ultimate weapon due to being buried in the rubble. This means that there aren't any admins remaining to revive the team as was the case with Team Rocket, and without a leader Team Flare can't revive themselves. If it does end up being a sequel, it'd need a new evil team which would be breaking the pattern shown by previous sequels. If it does end up being a sequel, great we get some closure on Zygarde's alternate formes in addition to the games. However, I'll be slightly disappointed about the game linking to what I felt is the worst installment to the series.
In that same vein, though, you couldn't really name Dawn/Lucas or Lyra/Hibiki(the male protagonist's english name in HGSS eludes me), so it could have been a way to simplify starting the game off to save us all from having to invent four extra names.
The name you're looking for is Ethan.

I would love them to bring back the following Pokemon, however (similar to HGSS) they would have to edit the size of some Pokemon therefore making the game slightly less realistic. Like they would either have to substantially downsize many Pokemon so that they could follow you (wailord, etc.) or just not allow those Pokemon to follow. No matter what they would choose, it just wouldn't be perfect.

I really don't want to see this feature return. I strongly disliked it in HG/SS as I found it to be terribly executed and it added absolutetly nothing to the gameplay (it did not make me feel more "emotionally connected" to my Pokemon). It just slowed down the games and was a waste of space that could have been spent on improving several other areas of HG/SS (and there were a lot of things needing improvement in these games as they were flawed beyond belief). Seeing that both X/Y and OR/AS were rather lackluster in terms of content, I hope they keep the following Pokemon away from S/M and focus on making actual worthwhile content and features instead. I think Pokemon-Amie did the whole feeling-thing better so I hope they keep and expand on that. That said, I would be okay with the following feature returning if it is optional (so I can keep it off all the time), but it would likely still use up quite a lot of memory so I'd rather not have it return at all.

It just slowed down the games and was a waste of space that could have been spent on improving several other areas of HG/SS (and there were a lot of things needing improvement in these games as they were flawed beyond belief).
You didn't have to throw a Pokéball at the beginning of the game. Pokémon just came to the fore. Saving time.

This post is speculation as to where S/M will take place. My main guesses are 1.Chile 2.Australia 3.Hawaii
1. I know that many people stick with the theory of the strange souvenir being a Hawaiian tiki, but it could be mistaken for an Easter Island totem, and Easter Island is a part of Chile. Chile would also fit into the tropical theme that we have seen so far. The legendaries could be the Inca Sun and Moon gods.
2. I say Australia because on 4chan a supposed Game Freak employee drew all the upcoming Pokemon from memory(Sorry I couldn't find the post, Tyranitartube did a video on it. You may want to watch it). The list is somewhat convincing and looks like something Game Freak would do. Many Pokemon on the list can be connected to Australia and seem like they would fit into a tropical setting.
3. Hawaii is the most widely accepted idea right now, and it makes sense with everything we've seen so far from the games. All we can do is wait for corocoro to give us more information.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
2. I say Australia because on 4chan a supposed Game Freak employee drew all the upcoming Pokemon from memory(Sorry I couldn't find the post, Tyranitartube did a video on it. You may want to watch it). The list is somewhat convincing and looks like something Game Freak would do. Many Pokemon on the list can be connected to Australia and seem like they would fit into a tropical setting.
Aren't Tyranitartube's videos usually hoaxes? Also, a 4chan leak like that is inherently pretty sketchy, especially if it claims that it came straight from Game Freak.

EDIT:
This cool image of the logos was on PlayAsia.com

Last edited:
Information on Sun and Moon to come in the next corocoro:
Serebii: "The next image from CoroCoro has leaked showcasing the limit of what is in CoroCoro for Sun & Moon. In this small bit of information, it promises that from next month, special features on Sun & Moon will begin. This will begin in the issue that is released on April 15th 2016. We'll bring more as it comes"
View attachment 58572
I would be willing to bet that those are the Press Start screens for the two new games.

Aren't Tyranitartube's videos usually hoaxes? Also, a 4chan leak like that is inherently pretty sketchy, especially if it claims that it came straight from Game Freak.

EDIT:
This cool image of the logos was on PlayAsia.com
No he is pretty legit if it is a hoax and he talks about it it's because he didn't know

Australia has a classic Pokemon layout. Big city (Sydney or Melbourne), huge desert, island for a water route (Tasmania). Plus plenty of dangerous animals. Would love to see Australia Pokemon-ized.
I'm rather ambivalent towards the Pokemon following you. On one hand, it would be cute, but on the other, I think it's something that should only be done if Game Freak can implement it. And I don't its absense would be a huge detriment to the game as a whole.
Agreed. Would rather them focus on post-game than making the Pokemon following work correctly.

On the subject of Pokemon following you, I really wish they wouldn't devote resources and time to that again. It really does nothing to enhance the gameplay or "emotional" connection imo. Maybe if they limit it to like, just a few like Amity square in Platinum it would be okay.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
XY reveal timeline as a reference (might be a day or two off/some mons might be missing):

1/08: XY Reveal, starters and box legendaries
2/15: Sylveon, 2013 movie and short aka first look at Mega Mewtwo Y
5/15: Region, protagonist, Helioptile, Fletchling, Pancham
6/11: Release date, fairy type, Noivern, Vivillon
7/13: Inkay, Pangoro, Malamar, Swirlix, Spritzee, Clemont, Bonnie, Team Flare, and other stuff
8/09: Dedenne, Skiddoo, Bunnelby, a bunch of Mega Evolutions
Bunch of Pokemon and Megas in the September corocoro release. Also the new type chart.

Seeing as nothing happened in March and April 2013 there is a possibility we won't get anything new for a while here either.

XY reveal timeline as a reference (might be a day or two off/some mons might be missing):

1/08: XY Reveal, starters and box legendaries
2/15: Sylveon, 2013 movie and short aka first look at Mega Mewtwo Y
5/15: Region, protagonist, Helioptile, Fletchling, Pancham
6/11: Release date, fairy type, Noivern, Vivillon
7/13: Inkay, Pangoro, Malamar, Swirlix, Spritzee, Clemont, Bonnie, Team Flare, and other stuff
8/09: Dedenne, Skiddoo, Bunnelby, a bunch of Mega Evolutions
Bunch of Pokemon and Megas in the September corocoro release. Also the new type chart.

Seeing as nothing happened in March and April 2013 there is a possibility we won't get anything new for a while here either.
That's a fair enough assumption; it makes sense to stack up all the hype closer to the game's release rather than earlier. That said, there's only like... what? 9 months; 10 months at most here between reveal and release?

That's a fair enough assumption; it makes sense to stack up all the hype closer to the game's release rather than earlier. That said, there's only like... what? 9 months; 10 months at most here between reveal and release?
Again, it's very much like X and Y. My only complaint with the lack of info is just compare to the decent chunk we had for X and Y. From the release trailer, we learned the following:
We saw the new starter Pokémon.
We saw the cover legends.
We saw Pikachu on the Eiffel Tower, hinting at the inspiration for the then-unnamed region.

With Sun and Moon we have...nothing but some development stuff, nothing finalized. If it wasn't for the reveal of Magearna, we would have no solid insight into this next generation of Pokémon.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The good news is that most of the news happened on the 15th at latest every month, so we might get something in the next few days. Likewise, the bad news is if we don't get anything by the 15th there's probably going to be nothing till at least the second week of April.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The good news is that most of the news happened on the 15th at latest every month, so we might get something in the next few days. Likewise, the bad news is if we don't get anything by the 15th there's probably going to be nothing till at least the second week of April.
I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. It's better to assume that we're not getting any news until April so as to not be disappointed. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)