Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to make a guess, I think it's supposed to be Leaf + Plumage, because Rowlet has leaf feathers.
According to serebii the japanese name for it is "This Leaf" so... Much better name.

Edit: worth pointing out that ember and water gun are both special moves with a base power of 40, while vine whip is physical and has a base power of 45. I bet Leafage was done to be an analogue to those moves.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it's been a month since daylight saving time ended for me, yet I never made the connection that I'm only 1 hour ahead of Japan now, not 2, so I missed the video being uploaded hype or #oi hype :(

My first impression was that the starters looked really ugly in the video, I kinda hated them until I saw the actual art on the official site and now I really like them! GatoDelFuego is my favourite and if I may speculate, I'm gonna say / hope for Fire / Fairy because another Fire / Dark would suck (especially since the other is a dog lol). I disliked the grass owl the most, but it looks cute AF in the art, and I think it has the most potential for a cool final evo design. Since the region is gonna have several volcanoes (I mean it's based on Hawaii...) I'm hoping that the regional dex has more Fire-types than previous generations. I basically pick the Fire-type starter by default in other games because there aren't any to choose from in the story mode, so hopefully I don't have to do that this time...

I'm a little disappointed in the limited amount we saw of the legendaries. Pyroar 2.0 looks kinda cool, but I was hoping that we'd get something a little more sun-like, kinda like a legendary Solrock-looking thing, instead of a literal lion. I can't really figure out what the moon legend is or looks like, I wish they had art for them on the official site like the starters so I could get a better look, coz like I said about the starters, the 3d model didn't really do it justice imo...

OMG those starters are so cute, I don't know which one to choose!

Solgaleo looks badass as fuck. Don't totally get Lunaala, but an Uber bat seems cool!

Also, really glad customization is back, I was worried gamefreak was gonna be dumb and not include it again!

Finally, I'm liking the look of the overworld a lot more in Sun and Moon. Not only is Hawaii a great setting, but the Alola looks a lot less... grid-like than Kalos!
The islands will all be in a grid-like shape and there will be terrible reasons made up by NPCs explaining why you can't go to the one you want, so you'll be forced to travel them in order. We thought Kalos wasn't gonna be linear and look what happened there lol.

So full sized trainer models and customization? That looks really cool. Not really sure which of the starters I'd go for, probably gonna wait to see their final evolutions before I decide. Both of the Legendaries look very cool, although I think I like the sun legend better, which means I'm team Sun now. Maybe people already considered this (haven't been following this thread that much) but I think the moon legend could be part fairy, if only because that seems to be the type that's been associated with the moon.

The islands will all be in a grid-like shape and there will be terrible reasons made up by NPCs explaining why you can't go to the one you want, so you'll be forced to travel them in order. We thought Kalos wasn't gonna be linear and look what happened there lol.
What if it's not linear an each Gym Leader has eight different teams depending on how many badges you have?

Well, one can wish for impossibles.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Predictions:
Fire/ poison panther as the oils will likely be heavily used in his lure. hopefully remains on all 4's. Specialize in sp atk.
Grass/ Flying gentleman owl of knowledge. Like the owls that guard library in avatar. Specialize atk and special defense.
Water / fairy clown circus sea lion. More colorful as he evolves. Specialize in mixed atk

Wild guess: evil team will deal with pollution and natural cycles of the tropics and eco terrorism. IIRC we only had Cyrus and N mildly touch on this issue.

Observations: looks astonishing. The overall overworld scenery and character models flow together amazingly. Exceeding my expectations of ds graphic capabilities.
-character customization returning is brilliant and hope the selection grows.

Wishful thinking: I hope they eliminate the two much water dilemma by using a similar port mechanism as the sevii islands.
- give me post game island(s)
- exploit multiple islands for exploration and limit plot rigidity.
- although based on hawaii, I would like the different islands to pay respect to different island cultures. High light the diversity of tropical cultures all uniting under the alola region.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking: I hope they eliminate the two much water dilemma by using a similar port mechanism as the sevii islands.
- give me post game island(s)
- exploit multiple islands for exploration and limit plot rigidity.
You know, if they actually had a system like this, it could even be exploited for islands that could be added post-release, as unlikely as it sounds.

I believe it was stated that he's an older cousin or something? Earlier in the thread that is. Idk what the source was for that though.
It could just be a saying reminiscent of Hawian culture, I just took it as an alternative explanation for the character's origin in region - in that, he/she's not a native, but came to visit family, and ended up staying to travel. It's at the 22 second mark in the international ad, either way.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 10.00.37 AM.png

I was half right! :D We got a lion legendary! Slightly disappointing my unicorn prediction was wrong, but the moon legendary looks pretty cool and seems to be based off a constellation?

I absolutely love Litten and Rowlet, I'm definitely choosing grass this time around. I... really don't like the seal one. I need to see its other evolutions, it looks so dopey right now.

I'm really glad customization is coming back, and oh wow, the overworld models! We aren't scrunched up anymore! It looks great, I hope we'll get more amazing cutscenes because of this. The battles look like they'll be interesting. It looks a tiny bit odd right now seeing them being so tall in the overworld, but we'll get used to it.

The rival seems to be the tan guy who appears for just a second? That's my guess at the moment.

Hawaii regions sounds really nice, we'll get to see quite a few cool Pokemon. And maybe we'll get a lemur anyway...?

Upon opening up the Serebii images for the boxarts ot the max size, I noticed some fun similarities to SunLion and MoonBat. They have the same deep blue domes as their heads, decorated with the same star-on-night-sky pattern. In that dome, they've also got the same almost hologram eyes, like they're being projected from the inside. It makes it really cool that both legends are more tied together thematically, unlike Xerneas and Yveltal who share no similarities. Also, when they appear in the trailer, look at the temple behind them. The logos for Sun and Moon are on the temple, but switch positions from one game to another. Fun things to take note of.

EDIT: LOL MAYBE THE LEGENDS ARE COUSINS TOO. FAMILIAL LEGENDS CONFIRMED. HANG LOOSE COUSINS.

Last edited:
can we talk about how adorable the japanese trailer was?

also the region looks absolutely spectacular from what we can see of it, though obviously there are concerns that it might be a bit on the small side even with all of the hawaiian islands included.

It could just be a saying reminiscent of Hawian culture, I just took it as an alternative explanation for the character's origin in region - in that, he/she's not a native, but came to visit family, and ended up staying to travel. It's at the 22 second mark in the international ad, either way.

Sorta Tin foil hat: he says the player's name and the demo guy is named cousin.

Upstart : seems possible and I wouldn't mind if the Sun/Moon villainous group wasn't as dark as the previous 3 generations. Given that Cyrus wanted to remake the universe in his emotion-less image, Ghetsis wanted to trick Unovans into abandoning their greatest defense against his iron fisted rule, (with his plan b being to "let it go." As well as the fact that he straight up tries to murder you in cold blood) and Lysander was about to commit genocide.

I still think that the evil group will probably want to turn off the sun, though.

Reactions: JES

also the region looks absolutely spectacular from what we can see of it, though obviously there are concerns that it might be a bit on the small side even with all of the hawaiian islands included.
I LOVE how that trailer continues on the theme of the original SM and 20th anniversary announcement of bringing people and cultures together through Pokemon over the years. You see the kid evolve himself from a standalone Pokemon fan, which it looks like he was before moving to Hawaii, to seeing the other kids doing something he knows and loves and becoming friends. It's what Pokemon has been pushing really hard this year, and I love it!!

I'm curious to see how GO will interact with SM and keep that theme going even more..... C'mon CoroCoro...

I haven't a clue when this thread started exploding so excuse me if anybody mentioned this already.

I loved how the music for the trailer incorporated some of the RSE/ORAS title screen theme. I hope that's not limited to just the trailer!

EDIT: Lunaaaaaalaaaa's placement on the boxart bothers me. I can't see it all and it's nowhere close to being centered :(

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Of course we can talk about that, I'm glad somebody else placed great emphasis on that.
As a matter of fact, the Japanese trailer has actually got to be the most consistent and accurate representation of what "Pokémon" is actually about for me personally:

Overcoming language barriers and exchanging not only Pokémon but also intercultural experiences with Trainers from all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)